What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Visiting Washington DC with the family (1 Viewer)

For kids natural history museum....still one of my favorite museum s in the entire world!  Walk down and see the capital, white House, etc.  Don't waste your time with the tour.  Man you need way more time.

Do not go to SE DC. You have no reason to be there.
Nats?

SE DC isn't bad at all, DC is one of the safest big cities in the U.S. 

I'd take one day in the mall outside, and then try to squeeze in a few museums.  The museums are absolute time killers though, you can burn 3 hours in what seems like 20 minutes.  American History and Air and Space are my favorites, but I'd rather be outside at the WWII Memorial or at Lincoln.  DC is a great town for tourists, not that great for us who live here.  But that's another story. 

Last edited by a moderator:
For kids natural history museum....still one of my favorite museum s in the entire world!  Walk down and see the capital, white House, etc.  Don't waste your time with the tour.  Man you need way more time.
One day is tough...

Probably would choose either Natural History or Newseum as early as possible and then hit the memorials the rest of the day.

I'll be there probably 16 total days this year and still won't see all I want. It kills me that the smifsonians only stay open till 530. 

If you just want to do free stuff. Anything on the mall (Smithsonian, monuments, etc.)

Ballpark when are you coming? This time of year can have some fun stuff around here. Will you have a car?

The museums are great, but I don't think that's how I'd spend my time if I had only one full day.  I'd probably try booking a tour of the Capitol for the morning, and then spend the rest of the day walking the Mall and seeing the monuments and White House.  Save the museums for the next trip.

Was there this summer with my three kids, 18, 14, 13.  We were there four full days and didn't even scratch the surface of the museums.  I'll say the highlight of the trip for all three kids was the International Spy Museum.  It's not on the mall, and it isn't free, but it is more interactive.  Pay the extra charge for the spy mission.

Given one day, I'd just start at one end (Capitol or Lincoln) and walk to the other end, stopping along the way at whatever interests you the most, with a detour towards the White House and maybe Jefferson.

Capella said:
I'll be there probably 16 total days this year and still won't see all I want. It kills me that the smifsonians only stay open till 530. 
Totally agree with this.

I've spent 70+ nights in DC in the last year and while I love walking the mall in the evening, I'd like to stop in the museums or art galleries also.

Oh well, just means more time for drinking. 

For the OP, you could get tickets for one of the on/off buses and see most of the monuments in one day. We did the Orange bus when I was there with family on vacation. 

FYI, Arlington National Cemetery is not a 'quick' stop at all. I highly recommend visiting it but it will take a few hours, especially if you want to see a guard change. 

Totally agree with this.

I've spent 70+ nights in DC in the last year and while I love walking the mall in the evening, I'd like to stop in the museums or art galleries also.

Oh well, just means more time for drinking. 
I think many of the museums have later hours during Summer. 

Do not go to SE DC. You have no reason to be there.
Things have changed dramatically. I was just talking with an old friend who graduated from Howard in mid 90's. He was visiting for the first time in years and remarked at how its like an entirely different city. 

Things have changed dramatically. I was just talking with an old friend who graduated from Howard in mid 90's. He was visiting for the first time in years and remarked at how its like an entirely different city. 
That's good. I was just repeating advise I got 20 years ago when I lived there.

The National Museum of African American History just opened up.  I had a friend who played an instrumental role in opening it.  Close to the Washinton Monument and a really nice looking building.  But it is booked for at least the next six weeks.  

OK folks. Need the FBG community's suggestions for a good place to eat on our last night in DC.Preferably close to a Metro stop and nothing too expensive. Think family friendly but a little nicer. Also a brew pub would be appreciated. 

Good choice by you.  Old Ebbitts has a better rep, better vibe, and better location.

I just thought Capitol City might have more kid friendly dining options and more family friendly prices.

I hope you and your family enjoyed DC.

As you said Gary, vibe was really cool and we were one of the only families there. Kids got to sit at the bar while we waited about 35 minutes for a table. We ended up out on the Atrium and the food was very good. It was one of those moments that hopefully the kids will remember for some time as it was our last adventure while we were there. They also happened to have my favorite beer (Little Sumpin, Sumpin Ale) on tap so there's that. So smooth out of a keg.

We were only there for 3 nights and 2 days. We hit up the Natural History Museum, the Native American Museum, the National Zoo and the White House although we didn't tour it. We hung around the Ellipse after the Zoo. Good trip albeit a short one. We'll be back.

I know you are gone...so next trip.

Once kids are over 13 years old, the Natural and American History museums get boring for them.

As one said, make the trip to the Spy Museum.  It's worth the money.  

The Holocaust Museum is really good too, but obviously not a pick-me-up.  I think they removed the part where you feel like your are going to the gas chamber, so that's good because kids and those with tight connections to the events were getting freaked out.

The one museum to avoid is the Udvar Hazy airplane museum near Dulles.  Total zzzz and it isn't free (or you pay for parking).  Whatever, they get your $s with little return.  The only way this place is worth it is if you are a pilot or plane geek.  The Air and Space is better IMO.

Touring the Capitol is cool too.  Next time you come, call your congressman (seriously, you just call their office).  They will give you passes to tour it and often to sit in the upper section to watch the goings on.  Often there is nothing happening, but when they are in session it is neat.

I also suggest going to the Supreme Court.  It's interesting to see, although not as casual as it once was.  I have a picture of me at age 2 with Thurgood Marshall and I'm sitting in his judges chair.  Apparently we walked in, he was there, and he invited us up and my parents took the picture.  Simpler times I guess.

Old Ebbit's was a good choice.  They have excellent fried oysters.

Once kids are over 13 years old, the Natural and American History museums get boring for them.

The Holocaust Museum is really good too, but obviously not a pick-me-up.  I think they removed the part where you feel like your are going to the gas chamber, so that's good because kids and those with tight connections to the events were getting freaked out.

The one museum to avoid is the Udvar Hazy airplane museum near Dulles.  Total zzzz and it isn't free (or you pay for parking).  Whatever, they get your $s with little return.  The only way this place is worth it is if you are a pilot or plane geek.  The Air and Space is better IMO.

Touring the Capitol is cool too.  Next time you come, call your congressman (seriously, you just call their office).  They will give you passes to tour it and often to sit in the upper section to watch the goings on.  Often there is nothing happening, but when they are in session it is neat.

I also suggest going to the Supreme Court.  It's interesting to see, although not as casual as it once was.  I have a picture of me at age 2 with Thurgood Marshall and I'm sitting in his judges chair.  Apparently we walked in, he was there, and he invited us up and my parents took the picture.  Simpler times I guess.

I thought the plane hangar was awesome. It has the freaking space shuttle!  Not a guided tour or features to goto but it's just a big warehouse (or hangar) of history. They have the Enola Gay there and the Concord along with dozens of the most famous airplanes every created. 

Udvar Hazy is ####### awesome. No idea how anybody could willfully go to an Air and Space Museum and find a space shuttle, SR-71, Concorde, and Enola Gay inadequate. :lmao:

I thought the plane hangar was awesome. It has the freaking space shuttle!  Not a guided tour or features to goto but it's just a big warehouse (or hangar) of history. They have the Enola Gay there and the Concord along with dozens of the most famous airplanes every created. 
Air and Space Museum at Dulles is great. Not very often do you get to see things like that in their original, full scale state. I will admit that if you have children that aren't even close to liking that it may not be up everyone's alley, but most boys would find it exciting.

Now the part about the fee to get in is spoken like a true Washingtonian!! (NTTAWWT!!) :thumbup: Paying $15 for a vehicle full of people is nothing compared to tickets to any museum anywhere else. We are spoiled rotten by the Smithsonian and their lack of entrance fees.

Air and Space Museum at Dulles is great. Not very often do you get to see things like that in their original, full scale state. I will admit that if you have children that aren't even close to liking that it may not be up everyone's alley, but most boys would find it exciting.

Now the part about the fee to get in is spoken like a true Washingtonian!! (NTTAWWT!!) :thumbup: Paying $15 for a vehicle full of people is nothing compared to tickets to any museum anywhere else. We are spoiled rotten by the Smithsonian and their lack of entrance fees.
Seriously. I'm from PA where every jerk water sideshow that calls itself a museum charges $20 a head. When we went to DC I was like, "and I don't have to pay? What's the catch?"

The one museum to avoid is the Udvar Hazy airplane museum near Dulles.  Total zzzz and it isn't free (or you pay for parking).  Whatever, they get your $s with little return.  The only way this place is worth it is if you are a pilot or plane geek.  
Oof. Could not disagree more. If the idea of an air and space museum is appealing to you, this museum is awesome and generally speaking is one of the best in the area. Parking is like $10 and that's the only charge. 

Oof. Could not disagree more. If the idea of an air and space museum is appealing to you, this museum is awesome and generally speaking is one of the best in the area. Parking is like $10 and that's the only charge. 
Agreed.  This is a great museum.

With such a limited period of time, I will agree with the idea of hitting up the monuments and a museum. Perhaps you can squeeze in two museums but that means flying through (I happen to like that, others like to get more in depth).

The mall/monuments gets you a vast history lesson until itself while being a new experience for each monument... but you spend a few minutes at the monument and then boom, onto the next.  As long as the kids are good walkers that's a great way to go.

As far as museums, with one boy and one girls I'd hit up the National Museum of American History.  Has great stuff for boys and girls.   Air and Space is super fun, crazy awesome. Should be enjoyed by both kids as well (but if your girl is a "girly girl" type, like my sis was, it may not be her thing).

As far as dinner, you could go to the touristy China Town area around 7th Street, which is neat with the "entrance" gate, and is right by a series of restaurants/bars and right by the Verizon Center.  Can find anything from really good restaurants to local places to english pubs to national chains.  While it won't likely fit into such a tight schedule but if you want to go to dinner and walk around a bit, Georgetown is a great place, also for brunch - but from the sound of it, you are probably better off sticking to Downtown/Mall area.  But I could see my family deciding on going to a later dinner and walk a bit in georgetown, once museums and the like are closed and such. It's only a cab/uber away after all.

Users who are viewing this thread