What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Child with emotional issues. (1 Viewer)

jabarony

Footballguy
Looking for FFA help - My daughter (6) has episodes with her emotions.  Not 24/7, but enough to be a concern.  When she fails at something (missing a shot on our basketball hoop, not finishing her homework, spilling a cup of water, etc.) she gets enraged and won't be consoled.  I'd like to take her to someone to work with her, but I have no idea where to start.  Child Psychiatrist?  ___ Therapist?  "Brain Balance" or similar?  It's a tough Google because everything looks like an advertisement, or just a bunch of quick blurbs on what it could be.  The main thing is, I don't want to jump around trying a dozen different things.  If possible, I'd like to go the best route, first, as to not frustrate her because after 6 weeks, I realize I screwed up and we have to go elsewhere.

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Looking for FFA help - My daughter (6) has episodes with her emotions.  Not 24/7, but enough to be a concern.  When she fails at something (missing a shot on our basketball hoop, not finishing her homework, spilling a cup of water, etc.) she gets enraged and won't be consoled.  I'd like to take her to someone to work with her, but I have no idea where to start.  Child Psychiatrist?  ___ Therapist?  "Brain Balance" or similar?  It's a tough Google because everything looks like an advertisement, or just a bunch of quick blurbs on what it could be.  The main thing is, I don't want to jump around trying a dozen different things.  If possible, I'd like to go the best route, first, as to not frustrate her because after 6 weeks, I realize I screwed up and we have to go elsewhere.

ABA therapy (Applied Behavioral Analysis).  It's been a big help for my daughter.

First line eval should be to pediatrician...you can always ask for a child psychiatrist referral (but they are usually in high demand, and not many of them. So can be a 3-4 month waiting list. Psychiatrists go to medical school so can prescribe meds. You don't necessarily need first eval to be by them). Other option would be child psychologist (more of them, usually easier to get an appointment). 

Things they will ask (or you should highlight with your pediatrician).

1. Are episodes only at home, or at school too?

2. Any big changes recently (new child at home, move to new area, etc)

3. Any changes in habits of daughter (sleep, appetite, focusing)

4. Any family history of these types of episodes in family (children, teens)

5. Your daughter might be too young to discuss in detail, but you might want to ask about what frustrates he? why? other strategies she could use to relieve her frustration, etc.

My son used to have issues like this. We learned that for him it was a combination of ADHD, Aspergers, anxiety issues, and a few others. 5+ years later, we have learned many strategies to work through these. We started by speaking to the pediatrician and got hooked up with the county Intermediate Unit. There is a ton of support out there for those that need it. (At least in Pennsylvania.) So I would r rally encourage you to go that route first: work with unbiased professionals. 

Also, as for that Brain Balance thing, my wife brought that up before. I looked into it and there is basically no science supporting it...it is a business. Can it help people? I guess it probably does but I suppose it isn't anything unique to the program but more an offshoot of parents and kids getting focused and regimented time together. 

She's just starting school ...is there someone on staff at the elementary school that might have some knowledge/experience to share?

Hopefully you can get the answers you need.

That's on the to-do list.  I'd like to know a little bit about what I should be asking for, though.
You shouldn't be asking for anything other than what's the next step. If it were me I'd be having a conversation with the pediatrician around what I and my wife are witnessing. Ask for advice, which should include some sort of child psychologist, psychiatrist, therapist or something similar.  Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread