Eephus

2016-17 Hot Stove League: Let's just give it to Jerry Di Poto won it because Seattle never wins anything

645 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Limp Ditka said:

Nationals sniffing around Sale. They'll gladly take Trea Turner and.....

lol

They might be able to get Robles though, and that's a good thing. 

Even the BBWAA sees that Maddon is an over-rated fool.

2 hours ago, Limp Ditka said:

Even the BBWAA sees that Maddon is an over-rated fool.

He's no Terry Bevington, that's for certain. 

2 people like this

25 minutes ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

He's no Terry Bevington, that's for certain. 

And nowhere near as gangsta as Jerry Manuel

Edited by Limp Ditka

Charlie Morton gets 2 years $14 million, with incentives that can take it to $19 million. I had lots of snarky comments lined up but looking at his numbers over the past few years, he's extremely mediocre.

2 hours ago, Northern Voice said:

Charlie Morton gets 2 years $14 million, with incentives that can take it to $19 million. I had lots of snarky comments lined up but looking at his numbers over the past few years, he's extremely mediocre.

A 33 year old starter who has logged more than 160 IP once in his career and is coming off a season where he made 4 appearances.  2/$14M sounds about right, right?

We are living in bizarre times.

gobbler alert

According to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports, John Danks plans on pitching in 2017.

Danks was released by the White Sox back in May after posting a 7.25 ERA over four starts. He didn't latch on with another team from there, but he still plans on continuing his career. The 31-year-old lefty owns a 4.92 ERA (81 ERA+) in 97 starts dating back to the start of 2012. He might have to settle for a spring training invite at this point.

A Danks comeback makes perfect sense In Bizzaroworld

1 person likes this

25 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Gobbler alert!!

Danks' 3 and 5 year unweighted rWAR totals are better than Charlie Morton's.

Morton's 17 IP in 2016 were superior to Danks' 22 IP so there's that.

1 hour ago, Eephus said:

Jason Bere and Mike Sirotka are making plans for Arizona. 

2 hours ago, Eephus said:

Danks' 3 and 5 year unweighted rWAR totals are better than Charlie Morton's.

Morton's 17 IP in 2016 were superior to Danks' 22 IP so there's that.

start the bidding at 2 yr/15 mil

how does someone like Danks end up starting for a big league team?  I could trot out there and maintain a ~5 ERA.  do teams know I'm available?

1 hour ago, Peyton Marino said:

how does someone like Danks end up starting for a big league team?  I could trot out there and maintain a ~5 ERA.  do teams know I'm available?

Danks was fantastic leading up to his contract extension.

His 2008 - 2010 was to the tune of a 16.9 WAR

Downish year in 2011 was still 1.9 WAR

Singed the contract extension, only threw 9 games in 2012 and the rest is histroy. He joins a long line of guys that never rebounded after an injury. Since the White Sox were invested in him, to the tune of about 15m per, they were basically forced to trot him out there every 5th.

Nothing spells excitement for the opening of the new ballpark for the Cobb County Crackers like coming in to watch R.A. Dickey and Bartolo Colon weave their magic from the mound. Marketing department dream right there.

59 minutes ago, ffldrew said:

Nothing spells excitement for the opening of the new ballpark for the Cobb County Crackers like coming in to watch R.A. Dickey and Bartolo Colon weave their magic from the mound. Marketing department dream right there.

First and foremost, don't tell me Bartolo isn't marketable.

And they need inning eaters. Braves starters last year averaged under 5 1/2. Bart was north of 6 per, Dickey just shy of 6, which was the first time he was under 6 in ages. Considering you never care how many pitches Dickey throws and you're getting him out of the AL East, and now facing NL lineups, I can easily see that innings per going up.

If those two guys can provide 360+ innings, over 60 starts, they save the bullpen between 80-100 innings of wear and tear. And at the low, low price of $20m? I think that could work out for the Braves bigly.

1 person likes this

This seems as good a time as any to repost the article about a guy who created and simmed an entire league of Bartolo Colons. 

Not marketable?!?!

6 people like this

The Home Run Derby is a gorgeous, magnificent atrocity. Only 3 hitters in the derby have a home run to this point in the season, and only one of them has multiple home runs. The MLB leader in home runs is still a tie between multiple Colones at 3, but none of them are in the derby for some reason.

:lmao::lmao:

2 people like this

Yankees trade mccann to astros for prospects.

Josh Reddick to the Astros as well.

He can fill a corner OF slot, especially as part of a platoon.  But Marisnick as an every day CF is going to be ugly.

ETA:  4/$52M.  You can probably scratch that bit about the platoon, at least until June.

Edited by Eephus

Reddick's defensive metrics have really fallen off a cliff over the last couple years. :shrug:

6 hours ago, Hilts said:

This seems as good a time as any to repost the article about a guy who created and simmed an entire league of Bartolo Colons. 

Not marketable?!?!

" I have destroyed the game of Baseball. This is a Baseball nightmare, but it is also simultaneously still a Baseball paradise because Bartolo Colon is literally every single player. It is the world's biggest paradox."

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Hilts said:

Not marketable?!?!

Quoting this post and giving it a few :lmao::lmao::lmao: because one Like doesn't justify the greatness behind that link.  

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Hilts said:

Not marketable?!?!

This is incredible.

1 person likes this

Besides, the Red Sox won the ALCS, so the World Series is the ####### Red Sox and Cardinals again, because it doesn't matter what you do, you can take the players out and replace them all with Bartolo Colons, but Baseball is still and always will be a ####.

:lmao:

1 person likes this

Multiple Colones is my nickname for Donald Trump's Cabinet.

1 person likes this

Andrew Cashner is a Ranger. One year, $10 million.

11 minutes ago, Bogart said:

My condolences

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, Bogart said:

With the cost of starting pitching, this isn't terrible 

Cashner has as much upside as any FA SP.  If some pitching coach can harness that talent and smooth out the bumps, $10M is a relative bargain, especially on a short-term deal.  At least the Rangers aren't trading Anthony Rizzo for him.

I've owned him in Serious Business on at least three separate occasions.  He's incredibly frustrating--just when you think he's turning the corner, there's another corner heading back where he came from.

I don't know if non-tender is a verb but if it is, the Twins non-tendered Trevor Plouffe.

The FA 3B market is really thin after Justin Turner so Plouffe will probably make out like a bandit on this move.

1 hour ago, Eephus said:

At least the Rangers aren't trading Anthony Rizzo for him.

Rizzo was third on the San Diego depth chart behind Yonder Alonso and Kyle Blanks. 

31 minutes ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

Rizzo was third on the San Diego depth chart behind Yonder Alonso and Kyle Blanks. 

This happened before AJ Preller brought order back to the Padres organization.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Bogart said:

@enosarris One time I asked Cash if maybe he should throw 4S less because batters hunt it. Got mad at me, threw 95% 4s in first inning next day, 4 RA.

There will be worse darts thrown in this market than 1/10 at Andrew Cashner. Kinda surprised he didn't hold out for a multiyear deal. I mean, if Charlie Morton can do it...

56 minutes ago, RnR said:

There will be worse darts thrown in this market than 1/10 at Andrew Cashner. Kinda surprised he didn't hold out for a multiyear deal. I mean, if Charlie Morton can do it...

He just turned 30 on 9/11 and with the same sense of cockiness that made him throw 95% 4S (and sport that ridiculous beard), he probably thinks he can cash in next off-season for one last big deal. 

40 man roster maneuvering in advance of the Rule 5 draft.  The Rays have traded infielder/outfielder Richie Shaffer and infielder/outfielder Taylor Motter to the Mariners in exchange for minor league first baseman Dalton Kelly and minor league right-handers Andrew Kittredge and Dylan Thompson,

Shaffer and Motter have made MLB appearances without notable success.  Shaffer has shown impressive power at the AAA level but seems pretty redundant with the newly acquired Danny Valencia.

I got nothing on the Seattle prospects except that I read "Under Milk Wood" in high school.

Brett Cecil gets 4 years from Cards, somewhere around $30m