What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016-17 Hot Stove League: Let's just give it to Jerry Di Poto won it because Seattle never wins anything (3 Viewers)

Howie to the Phils. Odd fit unless they plan on moving Cesar Hernandez 
LA gets Darrin Ruf and Darnell Sweeney (who came over from the Dodgers in the Utley deal).  The Dodgers need right handed bats in the worst way so Ruf fills a need, although it's a net zero with Kendrick gone. 

I assume Philadelphia still considers Kendrick a 2B but he'll be 34 and the Phillies need OFs too.   Kendrick only has OF eligibility in fantasy but wouldn't be a terrible deep league MI option pick if he moves back to second.

Jesse Chavez to the Anaheims for 1/$5.75M, ostensibly to compete for a rotation spot.  He wasn't terrible as a SP in Oakland when he was physically able to pitch.  His results from the bullpen last year weren't as good.

Chavez is a finesse pitcher and has very little margin for age-related decline (he's 33).  The Angels need arms and if he can give them 150 replacement level IP, he's a relative bargain.

Jesse Chavez to the Anaheims for 1/$5.75M, ostensibly to compete for a rotation spot.  He wasn't terrible as a SP in Oakland when he was physically able to pitch.  His results from the bullpen last year weren't as good.

Chavez is a finesse pitcher and has very little margin for age-related decline (he's 33).  The Angels need arms and if he can give them 150 replacement level IP, he's a relative bargain.
Crasnick says 3 mil in SP-related incentives attached as well.

Let's be honest, the best news out of that signing is that Colon will be hitting again next year.
I'm surprised more teams didn't go for Colon. Relatively cheap and durable. Old as hell, but eats innings. Guess teams are worried he's going to fall off a cliff?

Only ten wins away from Marichal's record for a Puerto Rican born pitcher! Hope he gets there and continues pitching effectively until he's in his 50's.

LA gets Darrin Ruf and Darnell Sweeney (who came over from the Dodgers in the Utley deal).  The Dodgers need right handed bats in the worst way so Ruf fills a need, although it's a net zero with Kendrick gone. 

I assume Philadelphia still considers Kendrick a 2B but he'll be 34 and the Phillies need OFs too.   Kendrick only has OF eligibility in fantasy but wouldn't be a terrible deep league MI option pick if he moves back to second.
change of scenery for Ruf.  breakout alert!

Valencia must be a giant ####### cause that is a terrible return for a solid player under team control for 2 years. 

Valencia trade seems like a deck-clearing move to get some longer-term guys some PT. Blackburn's a poor man's version of what Oakland seems to have been seeking out the last couple years: groundballs, low walks. Maybe they see some potential for K's, I dunno.

Valencia's power is nice, but he's only versatile in that he can suck at many different positions defensively around the diamond. He also had a reputation for also being a bit difficult to deal with in the clubhouse. So, again, clearing the decks.

Valencia trade seems like a deck-clearing move to get some longer-term guys some PT. Blackburn's a poor man's version of what Oakland seems to have been seeking out the last couple years: groundballs, low walks. Maybe they see some potential for K's, I dunno.

Valencia's power is nice, but he's only versatile in that he can suck at many different positions defensively around the diamond. He also had a reputation for also being a bit difficult to deal with in the clubhouse. So, again, clearing the decks.
Gives them space to sign another Butler deal. Any fat guys available? 

Valencia is a good fit in the Mariners roster, provided he can be a good fit in the clubhouse.

I never judge Beane's deals in a vacuum.  We'll have to see what the Oaklands put on the field come April.  His reputation has taken a huge hit since July 2014 but he still has more job security than any GM save Theo.

Valencia is a good fit in the Mariners roster, provided he can be a good fit in the clubhouse.

I never judge Beane's deals in a vacuum.  We'll have to see what the Oaklands put on the field come April.  His reputation has taken a huge hit since July 2014 but he still has more job security than any GM save Theo.
Your reputation has taken a big hit since 1914.

Charlie Morton gets 2 years $14 million, with incentives that can take it to $19 million. I had lots of snarky comments lined up but looking at his numbers over the past few years, he's extremely mediocre.

Charlie Morton gets 2 years $14 million, with incentives that can take it to $19 million. I had lots of snarky comments lined up but looking at his numbers over the past few years, he's extremely mediocre.
A 33 year old starter who has logged more than 160 IP once in his career and is coming off a season where he made 4 appearances.  2/$14M sounds about right, right?

We are living in bizarre times.

gobbler alert

According to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports, John Danks plans on pitching in 2017.
Danks was released by the White Sox back in May after posting a 7.25 ERA over four starts. He didn't latch on with another team from there, but he still plans on continuing his career. The 31-year-old lefty owns a 4.92 ERA (81 ERA+) in 97 starts dating back to the start of 2012. He might have to settle for a spring training invite at this point.

Danks' 3 and 5 year unweighted rWAR totals are better than Charlie Morton's.

Morton's 17 IP in 2016 were superior to Danks' 22 IP so there's that.

how does someone like Danks end up starting for a big league team?  I could trot out there and maintain a ~5 ERA.  do teams know I'm available?

how does someone like Danks end up starting for a big league team?  I could trot out there and maintain a ~5 ERA.  do teams know I'm available?
Danks was fantastic leading up to his contract extension.

His 2008 - 2010 was to the tune of a 16.9 WAR

Downish year in 2011 was still 1.9 WAR

Singed the contract extension, only threw 9 games in 2012 and the rest is histroy. He joins a long line of guys that never rebounded after an injury. Since the White Sox were invested in him, to the tune of about 15m per, they were basically forced to trot him out there every 5th.

Nothing spells excitement for the opening of the new ballpark for the Cobb County Crackers like coming in to watch R.A. Dickey and Bartolo Colon weave their magic from the mound. Marketing department dream right there.

Nothing spells excitement for the opening of the new ballpark for the Cobb County Crackers like coming in to watch R.A. Dickey and Bartolo Colon weave their magic from the mound. Marketing department dream right there.
First and foremost, don't tell me Bartolo isn't marketable.

And they need inning eaters. Braves starters last year averaged under 5 1/2. Bart was north of 6 per, Dickey just shy of 6, which was the first time he was under 6 in ages. Considering you never care how many pitches Dickey throws and you're getting him out of the AL East, and now facing NL lineups, I can easily see that innings per going up.

If those two guys can provide 360+ innings, over 60 starts, they save the bullpen between 80-100 innings of wear and tear. And at the low, low price of $20m? I think that could work out for the Braves bigly.

The Home Run Derby is a gorgeous, magnificent atrocity. Only 3 hitters in the derby have a home run to this point in the season, and only one of them has multiple home runs. The MLB leader in home runs is still a tie between multiple Colones at 3, but none of them are in the derby for some reason.

:lmao: :lmao:

Josh Reddick to the Astros as well.

He can fill a corner OF slot, especially as part of a platoon.  But Marisnick as an every day CF is going to be ugly.

ETA:  4/$52M.  You can probably scratch that bit about the platoon, at least until June.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread