What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016-17 Hot Stove League: Let's just give it to Jerry Di Poto won it because Seattle never wins anything (2 Viewers)

This seems as good a time as any to repost the article about a guy who created and simmed an entire league of Bartolo Colons. 

Not marketable?!?!
" I have destroyed the game of Baseball. This is a Baseball nightmare, but it is also simultaneously still a Baseball paradise because Bartolo Colon is literally every single player. It is the world's biggest paradox."

Besides, the Red Sox won the ALCS, so the World Series is the ####### Red Sox and Cardinals again, because it doesn't matter what you do, you can take the players out and replace them all with Bartolo Colons, but Baseball is still and always will be a ####.
:lmao:

Cashner has as much upside as any FA SP.  If some pitching coach can harness that talent and smooth out the bumps, $10M is a relative bargain, especially on a short-term deal.  At least the Rangers aren't trading Anthony Rizzo for him.

I've owned him in Serious Business on at least three separate occasions.  He's incredibly frustrating--just when you think he's turning the corner, there's another corner heading back where he came from.

I don't know if non-tender is a verb but if it is, the Twins non-tendered Trevor Plouffe.

The FA 3B market is really thin after Justin Turner so Plouffe will probably make out like a bandit on this move.

There will be worse darts thrown in this market than 1/10 at Andrew Cashner. Kinda surprised he didn't hold out for a multiyear deal. I mean, if Charlie Morton can do it...

There will be worse darts thrown in this market than 1/10 at Andrew Cashner. Kinda surprised he didn't hold out for a multiyear deal. I mean, if Charlie Morton can do it...
He just turned 30 on 9/11 and with the same sense of cockiness that made him throw 95% 4S (and sport that ridiculous beard), he probably thinks he can cash in next off-season for one last big deal. 

40 man roster maneuvering in advance of the Rule 5 draft.  The Rays have traded infielder/outfielder Richie Shaffer and infielder/outfielder Taylor Motter to the Mariners in exchange for minor league first baseman Dalton Kelly and minor league right-handers Andrew Kittredge and Dylan Thompson,

Shaffer and Motter have made MLB appearances without notable success.  Shaffer has shown impressive power at the AAA level but seems pretty redundant with the newly acquired Danny Valencia.

I got nothing on the Seattle prospects except that I read "Under Milk Wood" in high school.

The Yankees waived Dustin Ackley who was the 1.02 selection in the Mike Trout draft.  He somehow managed a OPS+ of 9 in limited action this season.

He has some versatility and pop so could find a job somewhere if he recovers fully from shoulder surgery.

The Yankees waived Dustin Ackley who was the 1.02 selection in the Mike Trout draft.  He somehow managed a OPS+ of 9 in limited action this season.

He has some versatility and pop so could find a job somewhere if he recovers fully from shoulder surgery.
I'll never forget Finless making a trade for him, me abusing the trade and then Fin abusing me.

Rangers prospects give new meaning to fielding the balls.
Seriously. Such a ####### weird ### story.

Eight Texas Rangers prospects were questioned by police in the Dominican Republic after a video showed a group of players sexually assaulting an underage teammate in a hazing incident that targeted players new to the team’s Dominican complex, sources familiar with the case told Yahoo Sports.

While prosecutors in the Dominican Republic have yet to press charges for the alleged assault, they told the court they intend to charge at least four players who held down a teammate and masturbated him, sources told Yahoo Sports.

Among those expected to be charged are the younger brother of Rangers second baseman Rougned Odor, also named Rougned, and Yohel Pozo, a top catching prospect, both 19 years old. The players facing potential charges have been told not to leave the country, according to sources.

Video of the alleged assault, which took place toward the end of October, was captured and posted on Snapchat, according to sources. A 10-second clip of video, obtained by Yahoo Sports, shows the alleged victim in a Rangers shirt and Rangers shorts laying on a bed with his arms held behind his back and his legs pinned down. At least four men are seen in addition to the alleged victim, whose penis is exposed, grabbed and maneuvered underneath a hand towel. All of the men in the video, including the alleged victim, are seen laughing.

The alleged assault was one of a number of hazing incidents of Venezuelan and Colombian players, some of whom were younger than 18, according to sources. More tenured players shaved the head of at least one new player and forced at least one other to take his clothes off, and sources said police are investigating at least one more allegation of forced masturbation.

The players were questioned around Nov. 9 after the Rangers informed Dominican police of the alleged incident at their complex in Boca Chica, D.R., where their two Dominican Summer League teams play and players from across Latin America train. The Rangers have been one of the most successful teams in Latin America over the past decade, grooming some of their franchise cornerstones at the complex.

The Rangers reported the alleged assault immediately after a staff member in the Dominican Republic was told of it by a player not involved, and Major League Baseball opened an investigation into the alleged assault, as Fox Sports first reported late last week. MLB, which placed the four players facing potential charges on administrative leave, declined comment.

In a statement to Yahoo Sports, the Rangers said: “The Texas Rangers became aware of an incident at our Academy in the Dominican Republic and we acted promptly to open an investigation. We have reported the incident and are cooperating fully with Major League Baseball and the authorities in the Dominican Republic. With this being an ongoing investigation, we will have no further comment at this time.”

Nothing spells excitement for the opening of the new ballpark for the Cobb County Crackers like coming in to watch R.A. Dickey and Bartolo Colon weave their magic from the mound. Marketing department dream right there.
First and foremost, don't tell me Bartolo isn't marketable.

And they need inning eaters. Braves starters last year averaged under 5 1/2. Bart was north of 6 per, Dickey just shy of 6, which was the first time he was under 6 in ages. Considering you never care how many pitches Dickey throws and you're getting him out of the AL East, and now facing NL lineups, I can easily see that innings per going up.

If those two guys can provide 360+ innings, over 60 starts, they save the bullpen between 80-100 innings of wear and tear. And at the low, low price of $20m? I think that could work out for the Braves bigly.
It's going to be great for the fathers in Cobb County when they take their kids to the game and they ask why is Grandpa out there pitching? I guess they could market the fact that he is only 67 wins from 300. He's only 43 - of course it's in Dominican Republic years - but he may make it.

BTW - that link to the Colon sim was fantastic, I was tearing up bad it was so funny. It would be interesting to see what league attendance was during those games. 63 freaking inning games it's enough to almost make you start watching cricket.

The owners will consider voting to lock out the players if the two sides cannot reach a new collective-bargaining agreement by the time the current deal expires on Dec. 1, according to sources with knowledge of the discussions.

A lockout would put baseball’s business on hold, delaying free-agent signings and trades until a new agreement is reached. The winter meetings, a joint venture between the majors and minors scheduled to take place from Dec. 4 to 8 near Washington D.C., might still transpire, but without the usual frenzy of major-league activity.

The possibility of a lockout stems from the owners’ frustration with the players’ union over the slow pace of the discussions, sources said. The two sides still have more than a week to complete a deal, but a number of significant issues remain unresolved.

“We don’t negotiate in the press,” commissioner Rob Manfred said. “We remain committed to the idea that we’re going to make an agreement before expiration.”

ETA:  Jason Castro and Twins agree to a three-year, $24.5M deal because some things are stupider than a lockout in the off-season.

Last edited by a moderator:
ETA:  Jason Castro and Twins agree to a three-year, $24.5M deal because some things are stupider than a lockout in the off-season.
I don't think it was. Hard to know what Wieters is asking for, but probably significantly more with a lot of teams in need of a C upgrade. Ramos is also risky/old, and Min had no fallback plan.

Sometimes you just have to grab a safe Plan B option, instead of risking being in a bidding war for Plan A or stuck with Plan Z.

I don't think it was. Hard to know what Wieters is asking for, but probably significantly more with a lot of teams in need of a C upgrade. Ramos is also risky/old, and Min had no fallback plan.

Sometimes you just have to grab a safe Plan B option, instead of risking being in a bidding war for Plan A or stuck with Plan Z.
But it's the Twins :shrug:  

The Twins new GM probably deserves a full off-season before getting criticized by some guy on the Internet for a minor move.  There's a lot of work to be done but with move ties up 8% of total payroll for a guy who's unlikely to play above his contract over the three year duration.

Castro is a league average catcher entering his age 30 season.  He's consistently mediocre with the bat with a low average and some power.  His CS% rates are ordinary as well.  He's supposedly really good at pitch framing but the Astros, a relatively enlightened and analytical organization, let him walk and brought in Hank Conger last year and Brian McCann this year to replace Castro.

Somebody needs to catch or all the balls will just roll to the backstop.  Upon further review, the Twins have no C prospects near the MLB level.  I guess Castro is an upgrade over Kurt Suzuki but that's a pretty low bar.

Owners really gonna lock out the players next week?  I hope the players stay strong and tell them to eff off on this International Draft BS.

Eephus said:
The Twins new GM probably deserves a full off-season before getting criticized by some guy on the Internet for a minor move.  There's a lot of work to be done but with move ties up 8% of total payroll for a guy who's unlikely to play above his contract over the three year duration.

Castro is a league average catcher entering his age 30 season.  He's consistently mediocre with the bat with a low average and some power.  His CS% rates are ordinary as well.  He's supposedly really good at pitch framing but the Astros, a relatively enlightened and analytical organization, let him walk and brought in Hank Conger last year and Brian McCann this year to replace Castro.

Somebody needs to catch or all the balls will just roll to the backstop.  Upon further review, the Twins have no C prospects near the MLB level.  I guess Castro is an upgrade over Kurt Suzuki but that's a pretty low bar.
His bat absolutely sucks. By no means am I saying he's Posey or anything, just that it's a sound, somewhat-boring move that makes sense given the market. We're working with somewhat-incomplete information, right, we don't know what players NYY would've wanted from MIN for McCann, or what Wieters might be looking for.

We do know that "market value" for WAR is, what, $7mm, approaching $8mm? Makes Castro seem reasonable. And if he ever shortens up his swing, hoooo boy.

Interesting trade that will be fun to see play out.  I don't think Segura is really a 5 win player--his BABIP isn't sustainable and he won't hit 20 HRs in Safeco but he's the best player in the trade.  Mitch Haniger had an impressive year at AAA and gets a clearer path to playing time in Seattle.  Curtis advanced through the organization quickly but the less said about his major league debut, the better.

I think I like Arizona's side of the trade better because of youth and upside.  They're buying low and selling high for whatever that's worth.  Taijuan Walker has been a prospect forever but has battled injuries and inconsistency.  Leg problems are probably better than arm injuries for pitchers but that's still a yellow flag.  At least his price tag was lower than Shelby Miller's.  Ketel Marte took a step back last year after a nice 2015 debut.  His best case scenario is a Jean Segurish type of career.

Ketel Marte took a step back last year after a nice 2015 debut.  His best case scenario is a Jean Segurish type of career.
Going into last year's drafts, I had him targeted ahead of Trevor Story, Piscotty and Travis Shaw. Oof. Do you think he could have a Jonathan Villar type of breakout?  

Atlanta signs Sean Rodriguez for 2/$11.5M.  He's cashing in on a career year with a .510 SLG so good for him. 

Rodriguez has never been an every day player but can mash lefties and occupy a bunch of positions on defense.  Hopefully he won't trash their new ballpark. 

Giants are reportedly having internal discussions about trading for Panda. 

Please let this happen. 

Users who are viewing this thread