What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Things that are inexplicably expensive (1 Viewer)

bigbottom

Footballguy
In the market for a new mattress. Why on earth are these things thousands of dollars?  I'm just talking about regular mattresses without all the sleep number memory foam bells and whistles. 

Also, printer ink. 

And glasses frames. 

In the market for a new mattress. Why on earth are these things thousands of dollars?  I'm just talking about regular mattresses without all the sleep number memory foam bells and whistles. 

Also, printer ink. 

And glasses frames. 
Glasses frames dirt cheap at Costco 

And Box Springs are a total scam.  Nothing but a wood frame, not necessarily springs.  I had a bed which had a good set of slats that came with the bed and the lady salesperson convinced me that I needed Box Springs to better support the mattress and for warrantee purposes.  The damn box springs provided less support to the mattress than the slats. 

Greeting Cards.  My wife is one of those people that wants to send cards for every occasion including anniversaries. She has 8 siblings, most have kids, so we spend a small fortune with Hallmark.  Not sure why these things run $4.00 or so on average.

Hospital helicopter rides and intracranial surgery.  They are both around $50,000 for about 4 hours of work.

Printer ink for sure. About the same price to buy a new printer than the replacement ink.
I got a guy who sells us recycled printer cartridges at a decent rate.  Ships as well.  Let me know if you need a guy.  Still boggles my mind how expensive it is, but he's got better rates than the box stores who sell recycled.

Also, printer ink. 

And glasses frames. 
I had to buy a new mattress a few months ago.  Ridiculous.

Went out looking at furniture yesterday at consignment shops. So insane.

And at this very moment, looking at for property management software. Three times the amount I paid for the mattress and it's per year.

Glasses/frames - march on down to Costco GB

Hospital helicopter rides and intracranial surgery.  They are both around $50,000 for about 4 hours of work.
This is the opposite of inexplicably expensive.  People who need intracranial surgery generally really need it -- they're not having surgery just for fun.  They're willing to pay almost any price for it, and coincidentally they're generally not the ones who are picking up the bill.  There are a very limited number of people who are qualified to perform this type of surgery, and again, people tend to be willing to pay top-dollar for "the best" because of the immediate downside consequences if things go wrong.  So you take a group of consumers who are almost completely insensitive to price, and pair them up with a small number of extremely well-trained providers who face no particular competition, and you're surprised that the price gets kind of high?  

Greeting Cards.  My wife is one of those people that wants to send cards for every occasion including anniversaries. She has 8 siblings, most have kids, so we spend a small fortune with Hallmark.  Not sure why these things run $4.00 or so on average.
Agreed...it's like they went right from a $1 to $4 all of a sudden...and so many of them suck...this is a profession with some real bad talent at the helm...

I'll never understand bottled water.  You can't use a cup and a faucet?  Do you live somewhere that doesn't have potable water?  Plastic water bottles are a scourge to our planet.  
I refuse to buy bottled water virtually anywhere. 

Another one is parking.

For the mattresses there are great alternatives. We love our Casper mattress. Dollar Shave Club is much more affordable. 

The problem with glasses is that one Italian company owns probably 70% of the eyewear market (Rayban, Oakley, Sunglasses Hut, Sears Optical, Target Optical, LensCrafters, Pearle Vision, etc). They also have deals to make all the frames for a ton of high end names like Prada, Chanel, Armani, etc.

For the mattresses there are great alternatives. We love our Casper mattress. Dollar Shave Club is much more affordable. 

The problem with glasses is that one Italian company owns probably 70% of the eyewear market (Rayban, Oakley, Sunglasses Hut, Sears Optical, Target Optical, LensCrafters, Pearle Vision, etc). They also have deals to make all the frames for a ton of high end names like Prada, Chanel, Armani, etc.
Over a lifetime I wonder what's the most affordable.....eyewear, lasik or feeding the dog with the handle

dollar store is your friend.  2 cards for a dollar

Razor blades.  Floors me every time, which is why I shave about twice a week.
Best part about razor blades is how they keep them locked up in a store. I use electric so I had forgotten - wife asked me to pick her some up last week...

Excuse me, can you unlock the razor blades? Thanks!

Also, printer ink. 

And glasses frames. 
There's a mattress thread around here somewhere that has some great recommendations.  I just bought a Savata king size for around $1,300 an it's awesome.

On the other hand, I had no idea mattresses were that expensive.  That really is kind of hard to explain.  
You spend about 1/3 of your time there. And seems like a lot of people have some kind of sleep issue and think a better mattress is the solution.

Users who are viewing this thread