What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island "Discs" Draft (2010-2019) - We Did It (1 Viewer)

Another near miss from me was Evil Friends  from Portugal the Man. Obviously with 'Feel it Still', this was their biggest album of the decade and one of the biggest rock albums of the decade period, but I prefer Evil Friends by quite a bit, with 'Purple, Yellow, Red and Blue', 'Creep in a T-Shirt', 'Evil Friends' and 'Modern Jesus'
Speaking of "Purple, Yellow, Red and Blue", I'm surprised Baroness went undrafted.  I considered Yellow & Green, the 2012 record before their bus crash.

OK. I said that I may add another pick from the left overs, and in my search, I found one that I would have taken over my previously claimed 1st rounder. 

My 1st rounder woulda been:

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do (2012) - Fiona Apple 

Somewhere in the 1st 10 rounds, I woulda taken this:

Scavenger (2015) - Fleece

- Wake and Bake (Official Unofficial Video)

I may have a couple more lt8. 
For some reason, I thought that my real #1 was released pre-2010 ... wrong.

Therefore, my small island now looks like this:

1st rounder & my fav of the decade) Blues Funeral (2012) - Mark Lanegan

St. Louis Elegy

Gravedigger's Song (alternate version)

2nd rounder) The Idler Wheel (2012) - Fiona Apple - linked above

Top ten rounder) Scavenger (2015) - Fleece - linked above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Budos Band - Burnt Offering (2014): This one from Daptones Records’s resident afrofunk band gets regular play for me. I think this Pitchfork review actually does a good job of encapsulating the sound which is basically Fela Kuti meets Black Sabbath. Instrumentals only though.

The Sticks

Eephus said:
Anderson .Paak    ---    Malibu    ---    2016

Cloud Nothings    ---    Attack on Memory    ---    2012
Laura Marling    ---    Once I Was an Eagle    ---    2013
David Bowie    ---    ★ Blackstar    ---    2016
Divine Fits    ---    A Thing Called Divine Fits    ---    2012
Strand of Oaks    ---    Eraserland    ---    2019
Solange    ---    A Seat at the Table    ---    2016
FFS    ---    FFS    ---    2015
Max Richter/Antonio Vivaldi    ---    Recomposed by Max Richter: Vivaldi – The Four Seasons     ---    2014
Robert Plant    ---    lullaby and...The Ceaseless Roar    ---    2014
Django Django    ---    Django Django    ---    2012
Natalie Prass    ---    The  and the Past    ---    2018
Various Artists    ---    Day of the Dead    ---    2016
The 1975    ---    I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful yet So Unaware of It    ---    2016
R.E.M.     ---    Collapse Into Now  --- 2015
The Internet  ---  Ego Death     ---    2016
**** DIver     ---    Calendar Days     ---    2013
Protomartyr     ---    The Agent Intellect     ---    2015
The Bad Plus    ---    The Rite of Spring    ---    2014
D'Angelo    ---    Black Messiah    ---    2014

All the albums that made the trip to my island are golden of course but the two albums I'd highlight that you probably haven't heard yet are the Day of the Dead tribute and the Four Seasons recomposition from Max Richter.  The Dead album has a few clunkers but there are so many cool covers by bands you know and love.  The Four Seasons is an interesting concept that's executed really well.
The Dead covers album made me think of covers, which made me think of Boz Scaggs. He did an album a couple years ago called Out of the Blues. It has some covers on it, and some new songs. Anyway, I love his cover of Neil Young's On the Beach.  Boz's voice is as good as it was 50 years ago.

Love that it kicks off with two country picks. Ironic it was rocker Mike Ness who softened me on country a couple decades ago and country boy Sturgill who made me really appreciate a rock album again.

There's a new 90 minute Kamasi Washington concert video filmed at the Apollo Theater on Amazon Prime.

@Ilov80s
Nice thanks. I stopped at 18, but here is a jazz lp I debated and wth, make it

19. Thundercat - Drunk

23 songs, 51 minutes. And worth it.

Kenny Loggins, Michael McDonald, The Isley Brothers, Pharrell, Wiz Kalifa, and Kamasi all make appearances. Thundercat's the show though, with surprisingly nice vocals, and of course, some of the best bass work out there.

Slowly making my way through the playlist in order ('cause after all, we're drafting albums and I want to listen to them as albums). Still in round 1 (wrapping up the Arctic Monkeys album) and the overall quality's fantastic. I'll try to give a quick opinion on all of round 1 once I'm done, but the biggest surprise for me so far was the Lord Huron. ####### great stuff.

I'm familiar with most of the rest of the round, other than the Civil Wars. The .paak album was on my shortlist, and funny that GM took Barnett and Vile back to back, since one track I've played a bunch is Over Everything, off their 2017 collab. 

My snail draft of the leftovers continues; and with my 6th pick, I select:

Soul of a Woman (2017) - Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings

Soul!

This was their final studio album - released the year after Sharon's passing from cancer. I won't claim that it is my favorite album of theirs, but I love it none the less.

Thnx for everything Sharon. I miss you.

My snail draft of the leftovers continues; and with my 6th pick, I select:

Soul of a Woman (2017) - Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings
This was their final studio album - released the year after Sharon's passing from cancer. I won't claim that it is my favorite album of theirs, but I love it none the less.

Thnx for everything Sharon. I miss you.
The same could be said for us. We miss you too, MoCS. 

Users who are viewing this thread