What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Star Wars The Last Jedi Episode 8 thread: this thread sucks, you should avoid it even after you've seen the movie (2 Viewers)

Capella said:
It does but I imagine it means more than Luke just getting offed. 
You guys keep saying "offed" which I keep wanting to read "offdee" and then I'm thinking

Episode VIII: One of the hotter women at the local cantina, one of the hotter girls in your immediate galaxy, (upper class of hot women)

Best part of this is we are all joking around about how they are going to name the last two movies......

is is there any doubt at all if these two movies hit it Bigly in the box office that the Head Mouse isn't going to order up episode 10?

Star Wars X: The Jedi Cash In

Best part of this is we are all joking around about how they are going to name the last two movies......

is is there any doubt at all if these two movies hit it Bigly in the box office that the Head Mouse isn't going to order up episode 10?

I think they've already said or at least alluded to 9 not being the last movie. No way in the world. 

No doubt, the real question is do they call it Episode L or Episode 50 when they get there? 

This.

its the second episode in this trilogy.  Formulaicly the second one is always the most dark of the three.  Rey needs to carry the last movies storyline on her own.
Actually, no. Episode II was far lighter than Episode III. It sucked a lot more, but it was lighter. 

Actually, no. Episode II was far lighter than Episode III. It sucked a lot more, but it was lighter. 
Yes, I don't understand when people say that the trilogies have been "formulaic"   There's a lot of things to criticize about star wars, especially the prequels,  but that's not one of them.

Episode 3 is some pretty dark #### really...      Youngling slaughtering, women dying in childbirth,  dudes getting all their limbs chopped and burning withing a half inch of their life?    Borderline R rated stuff.

Star Wars is kind of funny like that...  on one hand you have Ewoks and Jar Jar Binks, and the kiddie "droids"  and then on the other hand you have Leia getting tortured, Han getting frozen, people losing hands,  lightning bolt torture...    It's an odd juxtaposition between a War movie and children's toy selling popcorn flick

Yes, I don't understand when people say that the trilogies have been "formulaic"   There's a lot of things to criticize about star wars, especially the prequels,  but that's not one of them.

Episode 3 is some pretty dark #### really...      Youngling slaughtering, women dying in childbirth,  dudes getting all their limbs chopped and burning withing a half inch of their life?    Borderline R rated stuff.

Star Wars is kind of funny like that...  on one hand you have Ewoks and Jar Jar Binks, and the kiddie "droids"  and then on the other hand you have Leia getting tortured, Han getting frozen, people losing hands,  lightning bolt torture...    It's an odd juxtaposition between a War movie and children's toy selling popcorn flick
This is a fair point but episode 3 was kind of hog tied as to how the story had to go.  Plus Lucas f'ed up 1 and 2 so bad they left too much ground to cover in 3.

There were good movies and a good story in there somewhere. The dialogue and direction (maybe casting?) really held them back. 

There were good movies and a good story in there somewhere. The dialogue and direction (maybe casting?) really held them back. 
I agree with this.    I mean with episode 1 if you'd focused a whole lot more on Darth Maul and the rising Sith and less on Jar Jar, pod-racing, and the sub plot with those people that lived below the ocean..  you could have come up with a decent flick.

episode 2 had the guts to be good as well, but you had some truly painful "love" scenes with Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman and a lot of wasted time on the clone angle.

Really if you just did a fan fiction edit, cut out Jar Jar entirely,  kept just one sith apprentice through the first 2.3 movies that we were actually invested in..  either don't kill Darth Maul and don't write in Count Dooku,  or just use Count Dooku the entire way and therefore avoid using that stupid skeleton guy with the 6 arms...  and improve the dialog between anakin and padme most people wouldn't have complained very much

I agree with this.    I mean with episode 1 if you'd focused a whole lot more on Darth Maul and the rising Sith and less on Jar Jar, pod-racing, and the sub plot with those people that lived below the ocean..  you could have come up with a decent flick.

episode 2 had the guts to be good as well, but you had some truly painful "love" scenes with Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman and a lot of wasted time on the clone angle.

Really if you just did a fan fiction edit, cut out Jar Jar entirely,  kept just one sith apprentice through the first 2.3 movies that we were actually invested in..  either don't kill Darth Maul and don't write in Count Dooku,  or just use Count Dooku the entire way and therefore avoid using that stupid skeleton guy with the 6 arms...  and improve the dialog between anakin and padme most people wouldn't have complained very much
They should have kept darth maul around.  I like Christopher Lee but his character was unnecessary.  They could have had another epic battle with maul vs Anakin.  Agree more on the sith over the stupid ocean beings in episode one.  I kinda liked the pod racing though. Episode 2 was so bad I don't even know where to begin.

I am actually considering watching 1 and 2 soon and just fast forwarding through jar jar, pod racing and the sand talk. Maybe it'll be good? 

I am actually considering watching 1 and 2 soon and just fast forwarding through jar jar, pod racing and the sand talk. Maybe it'll be good? 
It won't, but I admire your stick-to-it-iveness.

I'm in the :nerd:  camp that thinks this movie is about The Last Jedi, but implies that he trains a new one.  Collectively, they are the last Jedi.  And then we go from there.  Maybe he dies, maybe he doesn't.  Like the Sith, there is always an apprentice to a master.  If he dies, she will train another.  <i> They always do.</i>

Last edited by a moderator:
So you are going to fast forward thru episode 1 entirely, got it.
I am in the minority but for me the fight scene with Maul, Obi and Qui-Gon is a highlight.  I think it is the most intense and best shot fight scene in all the movies.  The part where Obi has to wait for the doors to open to get to Maul is one of the few moments in the movie where some decent acting occurs.

Huge mistake I agree in retrospect. It is even more egregious seeing how Star Wars Rebels have turned Maul into a fantastic character.

I wonder if Lucas regrets casting an acrobat instead of a proper actor in that role and was then too afraid to give him a real story line.
George Lucas regrets nothing!

seriously though, mauls death was so corny too.  that last fight was well done and he had to muck it up with that cheesy finish

Huge mistake I agree in retrospect. It is even more egregious seeing how Star Wars Rebels have turned Maul into a fantastic character.

I wonder if Lucas regrets casting an acrobat instead of a proper actor in that role and was then too afraid to give him a real story line.
Its been awhile since he was last on the big screen. They could simply recast the role with someone similar and no one would beat an eye.  It's not like Maul had alot of screen time outside of the fight scene. :shrug:

Lucas's ending to the fight in 1 and 3 ("I have the high ground") were both terrible.
yes. somehow one was worse though.  how the hell would a dark jedi fighter of mauls caliber just stand and watch obi wan leap 30 ft in the air, retrieve his lightsaber, and then watch himself get cut in half.  that was such a lazy way to end it. 

Its been awhile since he was last on the big screen. They could simply recast the role with someone similar and no one would beat an eye.  It's not like Maul had alot of screen time outside of the fight scene. :shrug:
do you want to recast him in one of the anthologies?  That would be cool.

His story between Clone Wars and Rebels is an interesting tale.  I wouldn't mind seeing them recast the character to highlight his rebirth and how his character develops and grows.  If Rebels is now considered canon, then I think that opens the door to bring Maul back into the fold in some capacity.

NewlyRetired said:
Lucas's ending to the fight in 1 and 3 ("I have the high ground") were both terrible.
"I have the high ground....but ignore the fact that we've already fought for 15 minutes doing force somersaults over each other while balancing on tiny floating skateboards over molten lava"

"I have the high ground....but ignore the fact that we've already fought for 15 minutes doing force somersaults over each other while balancing on tiny floating skateboards over molten lava"
This.  100000000% this.   So dumb.

They should have kept darth maul around.  I like Christopher Lee but his character was unnecessary.  They could have had another epic battle with maul vs Anakin.  Agree more on the sith over the stupid ocean beings in episode one.  I kinda liked the pod racing though. Episode 2 was so bad I don't even know where to begin.
They absolutely should have.  The good guys got the win in they took back the city.  The good guys got the win in anakin blew up the ship.  The dark side gets a win in maul cuts down qui gon but Ben gets a push vs a clearly superior maul so .5 win for the good guys.  now at the end of episode 2 Ben can cut maul down and it's a real revenge.  Or you have anakin cut him down and he's the next one.  Or if you want to sell toys and give the fans what they really want you have them both fail and have yoda cut him down.  Bens probably the most poetic, yoda deserves it more because he is forced to lose in episode 3.

They absolutely should have.  The good guys got the win in they took back the city.  The good guys got the win in anakin blew up the ship.  The dark side gets a win in maul cuts down qui gon but Ben gets a push vs a clearly superior maul so .5 win for the good guys.  now at the end of episode 2 Ben can cut maul down and it's a real revenge.  Or you have anakin cut him down and he's the next one.  Or if you want to sell toys and give the fans what they really want you have them both fail and have yoda cut him down.  Bens probably the most poetic, yoda deserves it more because he is forced to lose in episode 3.
you know what the most ironic part of all of this is?  Lucas constantly made decisions based on merchandise and Maul was by far the most popular character for kids back then from that movie.  Even today, almost 18 years after the movie premiered, I still see kids at Holloween dressed in Maul masks.  

Users who are viewing this thread