What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

POLL CLOSED Player #8 Community Dynasty Rankings (1 Viewer)

Who would you rank eighth in a 12 team dynasty league, QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/TE/K/DEF PPR with standard

• Amari Cooper

Votes: 50 41.7%
  • AJ Green

Votes: 37 30.8%
  • Todd Gurley

Votes: 16 13.3%
  • TY Hilton

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Devonta Freeman

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Rookie Pick 1.1

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • DeAndre Hopkins

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Dez Bryant

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Melvin Gordon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brandin Cooks

• Sammy Watkins

• Other (Place name in reply so I can add it)

• Total voters
This is where it starts getting tricky, which tells me my tier break is pretty big after the top 7.

I went with Green, because I take a shorter term view in startups than most.  If I was determined to build for years 6-8, I'd take Watkins instead.

This is where it starts getting tricky, which tells me my tier break is pretty big after the top 7.

I went with Green, because I take a shorter term view in startups than most.  If I was determined to build for years 6-8, I'd take Watkins instead.
Over Cooper?

AJ Green for me. Pretty much a lock for WR1 performance for at least 3-4 more years. Ceiling is not as high as some other players. My style is to avoid risk early, know others feel differently.

I went with Green as well but it was a hard choice over Cooper.

Here's the averages for each per game played (receptions - yards - TDs)

Green 5.6 - 83 - 0.57

Cooper 4.8 - 69.5 - 0.34

Of course Cooper is 6 years younger which is a huge consideration for dynasty. Even so I still like Green because I trusted him more to put up WR1 production.

Agreed.  Which is why this is where I think I'd slot 2017 Rookie 1.1. I think both Cook and Fournette are going to be great. I'd happily take whichever of those two lands in the best situation over the players listed.  We're talking about Zeke type upside with a relatively high floor.  I expect both to come in and be RB1's from the get go. And I think at least 1 of the two might jump to the Zeke/DJ/Bell RB tier as a rookie. 

Over Cooper?
Yes.  As mentioned elsewhere (maybe the pick 7 thread) I think Cooper is routinely overvalued because of his age, but hasn't convinced me yet that he is going to be the perennial top-10 that I want with my first pick.  Green has been a reliable top-10 asset except when hurt, and that hasn't been often.  Watkins hasnt because of injury, but when healthy he has put up elite numbers,

Watkins foot is a worry, which puts him in my same tier as Cooper.  When healthy I like what he's shown more than Coop.  

I get why others prefer Cooper.  I prefer to take my risks later in the draft.  

I can only presume that people are overly swayed by Cooper's age and the injury Green had last year. For me, this is easily Green at this point! Regarding going rookie 1.1 here, I understand the Zeke upside but it's unlikely anyone is ending up behind an O-Line that is even close to comparable...

I'll put aside the fact that Cooper was a 21 year old rookie and just look at face value of his first two years. Since 1960 he's put up the 9th most catches and 12th most yardage of a WR in his first two years in the league and he's not even been the top targeted WR on his team any of those years and you can bet that day is coming. This is not about youth, it's about youth and being good and looking ahead to what he can be paired with Carr. I don't pay for what you did, I pay for what you can do.

For me, I considered both Gurley and Cooper.

Re: Gurley, I feel Fournette and Cook offer similar/greater upside and a high floor. IMO both are safe bets to be RB1's out of the gate. If there was only 1 special RB coming out I might go with the known commodity. But with 2, it's highly likely at least 1 has a good/very good/great landing spot. And even if both have awful landing spots, you get a Gurley type anyway as a worst case scenario. 

All that said MB definitely made a compelling argument for Cooper. While for now I would still go with rookie pick 1.1, I can definitely see the case for Cooper and I'm open to the possibility of changing my pick here. I'll definitely be giving this one some more thought...

Give me Gurley here.  Sophomore slump be dammed, he's really good.
He's right behind cooper imo but that's largely based on situation which can change quickly.  The cooper/carr combo, both young with immense talent, is too good to pass on here. 

For me, I considered both Gurley and Cooper.

Re: Gurley, I feel Fournette and Cook offer similar/greater upside and a high floor. IMO both are safe bets to be RB1's out of the gate. If there was only 1 special RB coming out I might go with the known commodity. But with 2, it's highly likely at least 1 has a good/very good/great landing spot. And even if both have awful landing spots, you get a Gurley type anyway as a worst case scenario. 

All that said MB definitely made a compelling argument for Cooper. While for now I would still go with rookie pick 1.1, I can definitely see the case for Cooper and I'm open to the possibility of changing my pick here. I'll definitely be giving this one some more thought...
We may not have went with the same players but your line of thinking seems pretty similar to how I view things. I'd add for me I voted Cooper of course, but would have listed 1.1 and Gurley next in that order and for the reasons you stated.

Gurley? And if was all situation why will it get better soon? Horrible line, wrs are even worse, the qb looks like a bust already and no early draft picks. Oh and the youngest hc in history. By the time that changes he's 26 and halfway through his career. 

AJ Green for me. Pretty much a lock for WR1 performance for at least 3-4 more years. Ceiling is not as high as some other players. My style is to avoid risk early, know others feel differently.
Interested in why you don't think his ceiling is as high? This year before he got hurt he had 3 30+ point PPR weeks in 9 games (actually 3 in first 7 weeks). 

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed.  Which is why this is where I think I'd slot 2017 Rookie 1.1. I think both Cook and Fournette are going to be great. I'd happily take whichever of those two lands in the best situation over the players listed.  We're talking about Zeke type upside with a relatively high floor.  I expect both to come in and be RB1's from the get go. And I think at least 1 of the two might jump to the Zeke/DJ/Bell RB tier as a rookie. 
This seems overly optimistic to me. Picking 1.1 at 1.7 in a startup effectively assuming it will turn into something similar to Zeke when we don't even know situation, combine results, etc. Even post combine and draft this would be too early for me. Pricing in almost all the upside and none of the downside.

Gurley? And if was all situation why will it get better soon? Horrible line, wrs are even worse, the qb looks like a bust already and no early draft picks. Oh and the youngest hc in history. By the time that changes he's 26 and halfway through his career. 
If it was all situation, how did he ball out the year before? Sam Bradford? 

If it was all situation, how did he ball out the year before? Sam Bradford? 
The league adjusted to a one-trick pony? Happened a lot of times before. It's pretty obvious the guy isn't as talented as people think or he quit last year. I think a bit of both. Nobody has a season that bad just due to situation, never happened to AP and he played with some bad qbs over the years.

Interested in why you don't think his ceiling is as high? This year before he got hurt he had 3 30+ point PPR weeks in 9 games (actually 3 in first 7 weeks). 
Nothing scientific- just my gut. Not sure if the numbers bear this out. Feel like we know his apex is about 1400/10 ish. Dalton is who he is- so I think this caps AJ's upside.

I don't look at it as a knock rather, as a measure of predictability.

The age of his HC isn't necessarily a bad thing. Agree on the rest.  The Rams do have $40 million to work with and can spend the bulk of that on offense if they so choose.   

Lots of good comments in here that I enjoyed reading.

For a comparison of AJ Green and Amari Cooper for fantasy by the numbers from 2014 to 2016.

Green has missed 9 games out of the last 3 seasons due to injury. His sample is 39 games compared to Coopers 32 games.

In terms of VBD I use the 3 year average as the baseline and WR 36. 

Green has provided 32.7 VBD points over the last 3 seasons.

Cooper has provided 34.5 VBD points over the last 2 seasons.

In terms of points per game over the same sample:

Green 17.1 

Cooper 14.0

3 points per game is a significant advantage. I do think Cooper is capable of producing at this level. He hasn't scored double digit TD yet while Green has done so three times already in his career and every season where he has been healthy 16 games since his second season in the league, although Green has only done so once in this 3 year sample.

For an efficiency perspective yards per target

Green 9.5

Cooper 8.5

What all of that tells me is that Green has a per game short term advantage over Cooper who has finished top 12 but hasn't broken into that uber tier of the top 6 or so WR performers recently.

I do think Cooper could break into that group in the near future, however there are other players such as Watkins who I think have similarly high upside to perform at that level as well, but have done so yet. You also have Hopkins and Robinson who have performed at that high a level, but only for one season so far who are in a similar tier as Cooper as far as what they might do in years ahead.

While I argued that the difference in a point per game basis was too great for me to vote for Cooper ahead of Julio Jones, who AJ Green is in similar company with, based on points per game and career top 12 finishes,  Green is scoring 3 points per game less than Jones, which is about the same difference between Green and Cooper. Greens upside isn't as high as Brown or Jones and therefore the age becomes enough for me to draft/vote for Cooper before Green. At the same time, I still consider both players to be in the same tier, just not in the same tier and Jones and Brown.

So Cooper starts a new tier for me which includes Green, Watkins, Hopkins, Hilton, Allen, Dez Bryant, DeMarius Thomas, Robinson, Freeman, Gurley, Gordon and some others. However this tier likely needs to be broken down a bit more.

Thanks Brisco for the polls and to everyone for your comments. This process is helping me sort these things out as I compare groups of players to each other.

I like Cook a lot but I would not be considering him ahead of these receivers yet. I suppose when it gets to Dez and DT I would need to think a lot harder about it though.

eta - Dez Bryant and DeMarius Thomas would be in a similar category for me as Green. Proven WR 1 who are getting near 30 now. Not playing quite at the same level for fantasy as Brown or Jones have been.

Biabreakable said:

For a comparison of AJ Green and Amari Cooper for fantasy by the numbers from 2014 to 2016.

Green has missed 9 games out of the last 3 seasons due to injury. His sample is 39 games compared to Coopers 32 games.

Green 17.1 

Cooper 14.0

3 points per game is a significant advantage. I do think Cooper is capable of producing at this level. He hasn't scored double digit TD yet while Green has done so three times already in his career and every season where he has been healthy 16 games since his second season in the league, although Green has only done so once in this 3 year sample.

Green 9.5

Cooper 8.5

What all of that tells me is that Green has a per game short term advantage over Cooper who has finished top 12 but hasn't broken into that uber tier of the top 6 or so WR performers recently.

I do think Cooper could break into that group in the near future, however there are other players such as Watkins who I think have similarly high upside to perform at that level as well, but have done so yet. You also have Hopkins and Robinson who have performed at that high a level, but only for one season so far who are in a similar tier as Cooper as far as what they might do in years ahead.

While I argued that the difference in a point per game basis was too great for me to vote for Cooper ahead of Julio Jones, who AJ Green is in similar company with, based on points per game and career top 12 finishes,  Green is scoring 3 points per game less than Jones, which is about the same difference between Green and Cooper. Greens upside isn't as high as Brown or Jones and therefore the age becomes enough for me to draft/vote for Cooper before Green. At the same time, I still consider both players to be in the same tier, just not in the same tier and Jones and Brown.

So Cooper starts a new tier for me which includes Green, Watkins, Hopkins, Hilton, Allen, Dez Bryant, DeMarius Thomas, Robinson, Freeman, Gurley, Gordon and some others. However this tier likely needs to be broken down a bit more.

Thanks Brisco for the polls and to everyone for your comments. This process is helping me sort these things out as I compare groups of players to each other.

I like Cook a lot but I would not be considering him ahead of these receivers yet. I suppose when it gets to Dez and DT I would need to think a lot harder about it though.

eta - Dez Bryant and DeMarius Thomas would be in a similar category for me as Green. Proven WR 1 who are getting near 30 now. Not playing quite at the same level for fantasy as Brown or Jones have been.
I'm curious how is Greens PPG higher by 3 but his VBD lower?

Biabreakable said:

Green 17.1 

Cooper 14.0

Green 9.5

Cooper 8.5

I would agree with you if this were a redraft or you were just looking short-term but, you really didn't address the 6 years difference in age which to me throws the choice to Cooper.  Even if I spot you 3 points a game for the next couple of years, then the tide turns and shifts to Cooper and continues for the next 7-8 years. 

Also, whatever happened to not knowing what you have in a WR until year 3?  You are comparing Green's 4th-6th year against Cooper's 1st and 2nd year. 

I also like the way Carr has grown, he should be a top-5 QB going forward and they could spend their career together...nice bonus.

I'm curious how is Greens PPG higher by 3 but his VBD lower?
Well VBD is a season long accruing statistic, so missing games, which Green has missed 9 of them over the last 3 seasons, which brings down his total points compared to players who have not missed games.

At the same time I did take a shortcut in this calculation because I use the average total points minus the average of WR 36 over this time frame, which is 189 points. Over the last 3 seasons Green has averaged 221 points points per season, minus 189 = 32.

Cooper has averaged 223 points in his two seasons, so two more points than Green, 223 - 189 = 34.

This may not be the best way to do this however, it was just faster. AJ Green finished as WR 8 in PPR in 2015 and scored 274 points that season, minus 189 = 85 VBD. 2016 = -3 VBD and 2014 = 16 VBD respectively, which then when added together would be 98 VBD which is significantly different, and I think a more representative way of reflecting the value of his 2015 season.

For Copper this would be 2016 234 points - 189 = 45 VBD + 213 points - 189 = 24 VBD and so 79 VBD total compared to 98 VBD for Green who would then be worth more than Cooper on the strength of his 2015 season.

I have used the quicker method of just using the average of the last 3 seasons instead for all players, it would take me more time to break out each season for all the players like above, which I think would be a more accurate way to calculate that than what I have done.

I would agree with you if this were a redraft or you were just looking short-term but, you really didn't address the 6 years difference in age which to me throws the choice to Cooper.  Even if I spot you 3 points a game for the next couple of years, then the tide turns and shifts to Cooper and continues for the next 7-8 years. 

Also, whatever happened to not knowing what you have in a WR until year 3?  You are comparing Green's 4th-6th year against Cooper's 1st and 2nd year. 

I also like the way Carr has grown, he should be a top-5 QB going forward and they could spend their career together...nice bonus.
The way I value players is based off a 3 year window looking back using the most recent 3 seasons for a player as a baseline for projecting the players next 3 seasons. I do consider age in this my looking at what age the player will be for the next 3 years, and if any of those seasons should be discounted because of historical productivity curves for players at that position.

I do not project out to four or more years from now for a lot of reasons, but the main one is that I do not feel confident in any projection further away than 3 seasons from now. Teams can change coaches, scheme and turnover a lot of a roster in the course of 3 seasons. Now there are a few teams that actually have some long term stability in their team organization, but most of them don't, so most of the players wiill be in completely different situations by the time 2020 becomes the current season.

Another reason I do not worry about seasons 4 years and further away is because I update all of this information every year, so why waste my time with what I know will be bad projections for the 2020 season when I can do that next year when the 2020 season becomes the 3rd season of my window. Seems like a waste of time doing that and valuing that in my personal opinion, although I respect the methodology of those who do project a players whole career such as Couch Potatos quality years remaining for one example of doing this as well as it can be done.

In the case of AJ Green he is 29 years old and players fro all positions show some decline in performance around age 30. Decline for WR is more gradual however and Green should be able to perform at a similarly high level this season, at age 30 and at age 31 as well before another drop in productivity should be expected (and discounted for the age 32 season which will occur in 2020 four seasons from now.

Cooper is an ascending player who I expect to score more points in seasons ahead than he has so far. 23 years old in the 2017 season. Long and hopefully productive career for him ahead, however I still only consider the next 3 seasons, so Cooper does not get a huge bonus for being 6 years younger over the time frame I am looking at, because I am not expecting significant decline from Green due to age until 2020 or 2021.

If I were trying to compare the players productivity as part of a qualitative analysis, I would use the same seasons for the two players for that purpose, so comparing both players second season to each other ect. that makes a lot of sense if you are comparing the two players careers to each other. That isn't what I am trying to do however.

What I am trying to do is improve on methods that only look at the last season of stats, by looking at the last 3 seasons instead. I use the 3 most recent seasons, because player performance changes over time, I want to use the more fresh seasons as I can for this because those seasons should better represent the player ability now. Using more than one season shakes out the outlier seasons by one year wonders pretty well. Using more than one season of data increases the sample size to near 50 games (possible) which I think it a stronger, more accurate sample size to work with than 16 or fewer games are.

Your point about Coopers connection with Carr is certainly a benefit as I would expect Carr's play (which has been great) to improve as he gains experience and for Cooper to be his primary weapon in years ahead (so far Crabtree has had more targets) years ahead. Cooper certainly has an advantage in QB play compared to Green, who would likely put up better numbers if he played with a QB better than Dalton. However a lot of the difference is already represented in the data, how the players have performed in their specific situation, so there isn't really any extra value to consider here that hasn't been accounted for. Carr and Cooper are ascending players, there is some room for both to grow in their own unique career productivity curve, but no I don't have a quantifiable value for that.

I am more than happy to project out further than 3 years, and it is a huge reason why my dynasty teams have been so good.  To each his own.

I am more than happy to project out further than 3 years, and it is a huge reason why my dynasty teams have been so good.  To each his own.
Me too, even if for trade value alone. A number of these guys are depreciating assets already. Bad idea in a start up imo but each their own.

Same here as well and could not grasp idea of limiting myself to 3 year or less projections but a lot of people do. Serious question for those that do use a 3 year window. Why 3 years, what makes that magical number of 3 years the basis for your projections?

Same here as well and could not grasp idea of limiting myself to 3 year or less projections but a lot of people do. Serious question for those that do use a 3 year window. Why 3 years, what makes that magical number of 3 years the basis for your projections?
3 is a magic number.

However it is mostly based on the premise that doing something once could be a fluke, doing something twice could be a coincidence, while doing something three times is a trend.

I do have Cooper ahead of Green and largely because of the age difference, I consider both players to be in the same tier and pointing out some of the advantages that Green has that have not been achieved by Cooper yet.

3 is a magic number.

However it is mostly based on the premise that doing something once could be a fluke, doing something twice could be a coincidence, while doing something three times is a trend.

I do have Cooper ahead of Green and largely because of the age difference, I consider both players to be in the same tier and pointing out some of the advantages that Green has that have not been achieved by Cooper yet.
???? Are we talking about three past years or future years?  Whats going on here?

8. Jordan Howard, Chicago

Played about as well as Elliott in a much worse situation...can already see this man as the steal of most 2017 fantasy drafts

8. Jordan Howard, Chicago

Played about as well as Elliott in a much worse situation...can already see this man as the steal of most 2017 fantasy drafts
How can the guy be a steal when he will likely be going any where from 1.12 to 2.06?

???? Are we talking about three past years or future years?  Whats going on here?
That's what I was arguing.  If you are okay with Green playing until he is 32 (3 more years) at a high level doesn't it make sense that Cooper could play until 32 or 9 more years?  And if we are "projecting" just based on the last 3 years is that even projecting?

How can the guy be a steal when he will likely be going any where from 1.12 to 2.06?
Here are the players to rush for 1200+ yards as a rookie like Jordan Howard did last year:

Fred TaylorChris JohnsonLadainian TomlinsonMatt ForteSteve SlatonMarshall FaulkAdrian PetersonJamal LewisEddie GeorgeDoug MartinMike AndersonCurtis MartinClinton PortisEdgerrin JamesAlfred Morris

We're talking like 75% of these guys being all-time fantasy greats.  If Howard becomes one of them (far from something to count on, but the odds get high when talking about players with this good of a rookie season) then getting him at 1.12 to 2.06 while entering his age 22 season will be the steal of a lifetime.

Yes.  As mentioned elsewhere (maybe the pick 7 thread) I think Cooper is routinely overvalued because of his age, but hasn't convinced me yet that he is going to be the perennial top-10 that I want with my first pick.  Green has been a reliable top-10 asset except when hurt, and that hasn't been often.  Watkins hasnt because of injury, but when healthy he has put up elite numbers,

Watkins foot is a worry, which puts him in my same tier as Cooper.  When healthy I like what he's shown more than Coop.  

I get why others prefer Cooper.  I prefer to take my risks later in the draft.  
Why does Watkins get credit for playing elite when healthy but not Cooper?  Just because his injury knocked him all the way out while Cooper could play at less than 100% on his?

Cooper was elite when healthy this year.  People seem to be missing this.  After week 8 he was sitting at WR3 overall in PPG.  Then he picked up a nagging back and shoulder injury that had him on the injury report as questionable for most of the rest of the year and his production dropped like a rock (only one game over 60 yards receiving the rest of the year).

If Cooper had dislocated his shoulder in week 9 and been out for the year while sitting at WR3 no one would be doubting his ability to put up elite numbers right now.  But because his injury wasn't catastrophic and was something he could peter through at less than 100% while moving to more of a secondary role in the offense, people have forgotten.

That's what I was arguing.  If you are okay with Green playing until he is 32 (3 more years) at a high level doesn't it make sense that Cooper could play until 32 or 9 more years?  And if we are "projecting" just based on the last 3 years is that even projecting?
What do you think a projection is?

All of the statistics i have been talking about are descriptive, not predictive. A projection will be based on past data, then using probability a number is projected based off of the same data that is used. You could use any number of sample sizes as the basis of your projection. For example career stats, however it is fair to question how useful data from four or five seasons ago is for projecting a players production for the next season, when more recent data is available, and more likely to be closer to what the player will do in the following season than the data from 5 years ago will be.

There are advantages of using a larger sample size. I feel that 3 seasons of data is enough of a sample in most cases to find the players current mean or average performance in the next season, and therefore subsequently in each season after that.

If I use 3 seasons as my data set or career stats. Both would be the basis for making projections, just a different sample size. There are several years where I have done both.

One of the things that happens when you are looking over player careers and projecting their career stats, is you will notice that the players rookie seasons are dissimilar to seasons that follow it. So that data from the rookie season is often off somewhat. So I will drop the rookie season of a players career stats from the sample size for this reason. Nice thing about a 3 year window is that it does this automatically once a 4th season of data for each player becomes available.

You ask why wouldn't I project out for Cooper to age 32 or 9 seasons. I did explain this in some detail already, in regards to the change and turnover for each team over the course of 3 seasons, it often causes the ancillary factors around the player such as coaching and supporting personnel to change from what was happening for a player that long ago (4 or more years) is not the situation they are in any more. This is also related to the idea of trying to find a players mean, or average performing season, which I think the 3 year sample size does a good job of doing that, finding the players current mean or average, which does change over time, as the player changes, and the situation around the player changes as well.

I do not have confidence in a projection for Cooper 4 years or longer from now still being valid based on the sample size currently available to me. My best guess or projection for what Cooper will do in 2017 is based on his two seasons already played in the league. A forward looking projection would be based off of what he has done, perhaps with a modification to his targets going up to the 150 range which would make him more competitive with other WR 1s like Green on a PPG basis, than he has been.  But that is just a guess as far as one thing that I pretty much expect to happen. 

There is also the possibility that Cooper continues to perform at a similar level in 2017 that he already has in 2015 and 2016. If he does put up similar numbers again for a third season, what would you project him for in 2018? I would project him to score the same amount of points again, as I have 3 seasons of data telling me who Cooper is in his current situation. If Cooper performs better in 2017 than he has before, then that improvement goes into the sample and his outlook or projection moving forward improves. If Cooper has a worse season than before, then that gets calculated into his value and overall it declines.

i acknowledge that two seasons likely isn't enough for me to know what Coopers average season looks like yet. It also has issues because I would like to not include rookie data in my sample for him, but that will not be possible until 2018.

So why don't I project Cooper out for nine seasons? For all of the same reasons why I don't use data from 9 seasons ago to project for the current NFL. Too much has changed for me to have confidence in its relevance or validity for the players value now.

If you did want to project Cooper out for 9 seasons, it would likely be based on whatever method you used to determine Coopers average NFL season. Maybe you have some bonus and discount in there based on player productivity curves, such as what Couch does. However the average season would still be the same thing carried forward every season of the players career that you want to count as him performing the same as what his current average is every year. For nine seasons, instead of three.

For the purpose of this discussion lets say Cooper is worth 34 VBD (which is what he has averaged over his two seasons) every season.

If I use that value for 3 seasons, that would be 102 VBD points.

If I use that value for 9 seasons, that would be 306 VBD points.

What happens though if Cooper has a injury or for some other reason his career just never reaches the upside that I do think is there for him though? You will have paid 3 times as much for Cooper because of those extra six years than I would have paid for him using my shorter time frame. 

That is what I am trying to avoid. Overpaying for potential. Potential does not help me win now, points do. 

One thing that does help if you are going to project over a long time frame such as 9 years is to recognize the time value of money, or in this case, fantasy points. I was discussing this with Adam Hardstad a year or so ago and I forget the exact details, but basically each year after the first year had a percentage discounted for uncertainty, using finance principles of present discounted value, so for example 10% less for the 2018 season, 20% less for the 2019 season, 30% less for the 2020 season. The level of uncertainty increases for each season out so the rate of discount should be increasing with time, however Adam had a way to prevent this discount from ever becoming 100% at which point the value of the player would be nothing. However even if the discount rate stayed the same each season, by the time you got to season nine it would be a 90% discount of Coopers 2017 projected value, or next to nothing, just from time present discount calculation.

That would still be better than just valuing Cooper as being worth 34 points every season for the next nine seasons though.

Just working this out with the 10% hypothetical discount each year from year one. would be

Total 183 points instead of 102. 

I am not saying one way is better than another, that is a matter of preference and what works for you. The player values are going to be very similar when applied equally to all players using any of these methods, because they will all be based fundamentally on what the players performance has been in the sample size used.

If you have ever noticed, projecting next season, no matter how well it is done, will contain a lot of errors and bad guesses, or projections. Each year you extend that out compounds that error. So bad inaccurate projections will not hurt quite as much when you are only counting 3 seasons, as they will if you were counting nine. If you have a bad projection, you will likely fix it at some point in the following season based on new information gained from the previously completed season. So what did you really gain by projecting out all those extra seasons?

Highly doubt his ADP moves up to 12-18. It's "late 3" in Jan dLF. A 20 slot rise would frankly surprise me.
That's surprising, that he's that low.  In redraft he should be a top 20ish pick.  I'd assume in dynasty the 2nd year player jumps a few spots at least. 

That's surprising, that he's that low.  In redraft he should be a top 20ish pick.  I'd assume in dynasty the 2nd year player jumps a few spots at least. 
He's at 34. Feb should be out soon and I wouldn't be surprised if he moves up 5 slots. That said, he isn't without risk which is why he probably isn't higher. I personally love the guy.

He's at 34. Feb should be out soon and I wouldn't be surprised if he moves up 5 slots. That said, he isn't without risk which is why he probably isn't higher. I personally love the guy.
I'm not arguing the facts, but he went 21 and 24 in our wsl mocks. Those seem more in line where I'd put him.  

I'm not arguing the facts, but he went 21 and 24 in our wsl mocks. Those seem more in line where I'd put him.  
Well IMO RBs seem to go earlier on average in the WSLs and it's easier to get production later at WR given those are best ball. In dynasty if you put him at 21-24 that would be guys like: Freeman, Allen, Jeffery, Gordon, Gronk, Diggs, DT (18-24). I could easily buy into him over DT, Diggs (not a fan) and possibly even Gordon but that's it for me. 

jeaton6 said:
Well IMO RBs seem to go earlier on average in the WSLs and it's easier to get production later at WR given those are best ball. In dynasty if you put him at 21-24 that would be guys like: Freeman, Allen, Jeffery, Gordon, Gronk, Diggs, DT (18-24). I could easily buy into him over DT, Diggs (not a fan) and possibly even Gordon but that's it for me. 
I would take Gronk over him but those other guys I wouldn't even consider over Howard for half a second.  This thread has convinced me.  I'm going to go buy him in every league I can if his price is this cheap.

Biabreakable said:
What do you think a projection is?

All of the statistics i have been talking about are descriptive, not predictive. A projection will be based on past data, then using probability a number is projected based off of the same data that is used. You could use any number of sample sizes as the basis of your projection. For example career stats, however it is fair to question how useful data from four or five seasons ago is for projecting a players production for the next season, when more recent data is available, and more likely to be closer to what the player will do in the following season than the data from 5 years ago will be.

There are advantages of using a larger sample size. I feel that 3 seasons of data is enough of a sample in most cases to find the players current mean or average performance in the next season, and therefore subsequently in each season after that.

If I use 3 seasons as my data set or career stats. Both would be the basis for making projections, just a different sample size. There are several years where I have done both.

One of the things that happens when you are looking over player careers and projecting their career stats, is you will notice that the players rookie seasons are dissimilar to seasons that follow it. So that data from the rookie season is often off somewhat. So I will drop the rookie season of a players career stats from the sample size for this reason. Nice thing about a 3 year window is that it does this automatically once a 4th season of data for each player becomes available.

You ask why wouldn't I project out for Cooper to age 32 or 9 seasons. I did explain this in some detail already, in regards to the change and turnover for each team over the course of 3 seasons, it often causes the ancillary factors around the player such as coaching and supporting personnel to change from what was happening for a player that long ago (4 or more years) is not the situation they are in any more. This is also related to the idea of trying to find a players mean, or average performing season, which I think the 3 year sample size does a good job of doing that, finding the players current mean or average, which does change over time, as the player changes, and the situation around the player changes as well.

I do not have confidence in a projection for Cooper 4 years or longer from now still being valid based on the sample size currently available to me. My best guess or projection for what Cooper will do in 2017 is based on his two seasons already played in the league. A forward looking projection would be based off of what he has done, perhaps with a modification to his targets going up to the 150 range which would make him more competitive with other WR 1s like Green on a PPG basis, than he has been.  But that is just a guess as far as one thing that I pretty much expect to happen. 

There is also the possibility that Cooper continues to perform at a similar level in 2017 that he already has in 2015 and 2016. If he does put up similar numbers again for a third season, what would you project him for in 2018? I would project him to score the same amount of points again, as I have 3 seasons of data telling me who Cooper is in his current situation. If Cooper performs better in 2017 than he has before, then that improvement goes into the sample and his outlook or projection moving forward improves. If Cooper has a worse season than before, then that gets calculated into his value and overall it declines.

i acknowledge that two seasons likely isn't enough for me to know what Coopers average season looks like yet. It also has issues because I would like to not include rookie data in my sample for him, but that will not be possible until 2018.

So why don't I project Cooper out for nine seasons? For all of the same reasons why I don't use data from 9 seasons ago to project for the current NFL. Too much has changed for me to have confidence in its relevance or validity for the players value now.

If you did want to project Cooper out for 9 seasons, it would likely be based on whatever method you used to determine Coopers average NFL season. Maybe you have some bonus and discount in there based on player productivity curves, such as what Couch does. However the average season would still be the same thing carried forward every season of the players career that you want to count as him performing the same as what his current average is every year. For nine seasons, instead of three.

For the purpose of this discussion lets say Cooper is worth 34 VBD (which is what he has averaged over his two seasons) every season.

If I use that value for 3 seasons, that would be 102 VBD points.

If I use that value for 9 seasons, that would be 306 VBD points.

What happens though if Cooper has a injury or for some other reason his career just never reaches the upside that I do think is there for him though? You will have paid 3 times as much for Cooper because of those extra six years than I would have paid for him using my shorter time frame. 

That is what I am trying to avoid. Overpaying for potential. Potential does not help me win now, points do. 

One thing that does help if you are going to project over a long time frame such as 9 years is to recognize the time value of money, or in this case, fantasy points. I was discussing this with Adam Hardstad a year or so ago and I forget the exact details, but basically each year after the first year had a percentage discounted for uncertainty, using finance principles of present discounted value, so for example 10% less for the 2018 season, 20% less for the 2019 season, 30% less for the 2020 season. The level of uncertainty increases for each season out so the rate of discount should be increasing with time, however Adam had a way to prevent this discount from ever becoming 100% at which point the value of the player would be nothing. However even if the discount rate stayed the same each season, by the time you got to season nine it would be a 90% discount of Coopers 2017 projected value, or next to nothing, just from time present discount calculation.

That would still be better than just valuing Cooper as being worth 34 points every season for the next nine seasons though.

Just working this out with the 10% hypothetical discount each year from year one. would be

Total 183 points instead of 102. 

I am not saying one way is better than another, that is a matter of preference and what works for you. The player values are going to be very similar when applied equally to all players using any of these methods, because they will all be based fundamentally on what the players performance has been in the sample size used.

If you have ever noticed, projecting next season, no matter how well it is done, will contain a lot of errors and bad guesses, or projections. Each year you extend that out compounds that error. So bad inaccurate projections will not hurt quite as much when you are only counting 3 seasons, as they will if you were counting nine. If you have a bad projection, you will likely fix it at some point in the following season based on new information gained from the previously completed season. So what did you really gain by projecting out all those extra seasons?
I guess the main problem I have is just using a 3-year window for selecting dynasty players, especially WRs.  Using this method, Antonio Brown should easily be your #1 selection as his VBD blows everyone away based on the last 3 years, so your projections should value him the most over the next 3 years - let me know if I'm wrong.  However, try trading Brown for OBJ or Evans and it ain't happening....why?  Mostly, because of the player's age and the thought that these players are tracking up. 

Yes, I realize the further out you project, the more variability etc.  Cooper can get hit by a bus or Carr could retire...but assuming these things don't happen and even assuming you're right in that Green outperforms Cooper the next 3 years (definitely not a given).  At that point, you've got an untradeable 32-year old WR and I have one that's 26 and just hitting his prime.

I'm not advocating, projecting top-10 numbers for the next 9 years for Cooper but, age and thinking about more than a 3-year window should be considered.  I liked the method where you use some "depreciation" of the player over a player's expected playing time.  That would be much better than ignoring age altogether by using a 3-year window.

One of my main problems with your statement in the last paragraph:

"If you have a bad projection, you will likely fix it at some point in the following season based on new information gained from the previously completed season. So what did you really gain by projecting out all those extra seasons?"

How can you fix it the next season when you only have one chance to "get it right" and that's during the dynasty draft.  Of course, I'll reevaluate my team every year but I can't "fix it."  If I'm going to make an error choosing a player, I'll take my chance on a similar player who is 6 years younger.      

I'm not advocating, projecting top-10 numbers for the next 9 years for Cooper but, age and thinking about more than a 3-year window should be considered.  I liked the method where you use some "depreciation" of the player over a player's expected playing time.  That would be much better than ignoring age altogether by using a 3-year window.   
Thinking about more than a 3-year window is a great way to have a team full of Never Will Haves, instead of a team of Playing In Their Primes.

Sure, I'd love to get 8+ years of performance from every rookie I draft, but I'm realistic enough to know that isn't the case.  I never look further than 3 years for any dynasty WR or RB, simply due to the massive shifts that happen every season. 

Think I'm wrong?  Go look at the dynasty players rankings heading into the 2014 season.  Things move fast. Here's one site's list.

WIDE RECEIVERS

Mv

Rank

Player

Team

Calvin Johnson

DET

A.J. Green

CIN

Dez Bryant

DAL

Demaryius Thomas

DEN

Josh Gordon

CLE

Jordy Nelson

GBP

Antonio Brown

PIT

Brandon Marshall

CHI

Julio Jones

ATL

Vincent Jackson

TBB

Mv

Rank

Player

Team

Jamaal Charles

KCC

LeSean McCoy

PHI

Adrian Peterson

MIN

Marshawn Lynch

SEA

Matt Forte

CHI

Le'Veon Bell

PIT

Alfred Morris

WAS

Eddie Lacy

GBP

Reggie Bush

DET

Doug Martin

TBB

Thinking about more than a 3-year window is a great way to have a team full of Never Will Haves, instead of a team of Playing In Their Primes.

Sure, I'd love to get 8+ years of performance from every rookie I draft, but I'm realistic enough to know that isn't the case.  I never look further than 3 years for any dynasty WR or RB, simply due to the massive shifts that happen every season. 

Think I'm wrong?  Go look at the dynasty players rankings heading into the 2014 season.  Things move fast. Here's one site's list.

WIDE RECEIVERS

Mv

Rank

Player

Team

Calvin Johnson

DET

A.J. Green

CIN

Dez Bryant

DAL

Demaryius Thomas

DEN

Josh Gordon

CLE

Jordy Nelson

GBP

Antonio Brown

PIT

Brandon Marshall

CHI

Julio Jones

ATL

Vincent Jackson

TBB

Mv

Rank

Player

Team

Jamaal Charles

KCC

LeSean McCoy

PHI

Adrian Peterson

MIN

Marshawn Lynch

SEA

Matt Forte

CHI

Le'Veon Bell

PIT

Alfred Morris

WAS

Eddie Lacy

GBP

Reggie Bush

DET

Doug Martin

TBB
I apparently view the 3 year thing differently than you do then, and thankfully I do, because thinking further than 3 years had worked tremendously for me. 

Really I am not sure at all what the point of those rankings are that you posted above. 

WIDE RECEIVERS

Mv

Rank

Player

Team

Calvin Johnson

DET

A.J. Green

CIN

Dez Bryant

DAL

Demaryius Thomas

DEN

Josh Gordon

CLE

Jordy Nelson

GBP

Antonio Brown

PIT

Brandon Marshall

CHI

Julio Jones

ATL

Vincent Jackson

TBB

Mv

Rank

Player

Team

Jamaal Charles

KCC

LeSean McCoy

PHI

Adrian Peterson

MIN

Marshawn Lynch

SEA

Matt Forte

CHI

Le'Veon Bell

PIT

Alfred Morris

WAS

Eddie Lacy

GBP

Reggie Bush

DET

Doug Martin

TBB
The main thing that list tells me is to not draft 29 year old WRs as high as being drafted here. 

Users who are viewing this thread