What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bloom top 150 dynasty RB rankings (1 Viewer)

Bracie Smathers

Footballguy
Free off-season content available. 

Would love to see a discussion on the RBs and how the rookies might fit in.

This is from March 2nd so it is prior to free agency and only posting the top 20, go to the link for the full list.

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=bloomtop150dynrb

ELITE RB1

1. Ezekiel Elliott, DAL - Just getting started and situation looks ideal long-term
2. David Johnson, ARI - Everything Cardinals and FF wanted, offensive rebuild coming, could take a small hit
3. Le’Veon Bell, PIT - Actually younger than Johnson, but can’t put a healthy year together

ELITE TALENT, GUTTER SITUATION

4. Todd Gurley, LAR - Still on upslope of career at 22. Chance of competence in offensive coaching

STRONG/SOLID RB1 (25 AND UNDER)

5. Devonta Freeman, ATL - Only presence of Coleman keeps him from elite
6. Melvin Gordon, LAC - Risk of Woodhead return short-term, but arrival seems legit
7. Jordan Howard, CHI - Hard to argue with outstanding results in poor situation
8. Jay Ajayi, MIA - Draft knee worries in rear view, owns MIA backfield now, needs more pass involement
9. Carlos Hyde, SF - Some durability questions, but none about his talent as runner. Shanahan can’t hurt.

THE EXCITEMENT OF AN UNKNOWN PAYOFF

10. Derrick Henry, TEN - Phenomenal moments in 2016, might require a wait to contribute, but situation perfect

STRONG RB1 (28 AND OLDER)

11. LeSean McCoy, BUF - 2016 arguably career-best year as runner, how much left?

BOOM/BUST RB2 (+ CEILING)

12. Tevin Coleman, ATL - Major improvement as receiver, not sold on him as runner. Risk Freeman re-signs in ATL

LOW CEILING RB2

13. Lamar Miller, HOU - Frustrating 2016, didn’t have Miami burst, will it get better? Might be time to sell.

BOOM/BUST RB2 (BEST TO COME?)

14. Isaiah Crowell, CLE - Looked like a beast, but stuck in the zoo. Only 24, FA in 2018. Time to buy?

STRONG RB1 (CLOCK TICKING)

15. Demarco Murray, TEN - Will begin 2017 as start, but what about finish? Win now target, rebuilding teams must deal this offseason

BOOM/BUST RB2 (CLOCK TICKING)

16. Mark Ingram, NO - Finished strong + good situation, but needed benching to hit stride. More than two useful years left?

SOLID RB2 (FREE AGENT UNCERTAINTY)

17. Eddie Lacy, FA - Did anyone else notice Lacy had his career best yards per carry before injury? Free agent market might be harsh, but ability there, only 26.

RBBC BACKS ( + UPSIDE)

18. Ameer Abdullah, DET - Riddick showed value of DET RB roles, but how big will Abdullah’s be?

19. CJ Prosise, SEA - Shined at times in small sample, but durability questions

SOLID RB2 (FREE AGENT UNCERTAINTY)

20. Latavius Murray, OAK - Didn’t make huge leap from 2015, offense did. Competent, but situation-dependent.

Again, this is from March 2nd and prior to free agency so don't freak about Lat Murray being listed in Oakland.

Add, sorry if this is a Honda but I did a search and got zero results.  Would like to see where the rookies would go in the above dynasty list.

Well, I'll take a stab at the top four rookie RBs from this draft and where they might fit on this list.

I love Leonard Fournette.  The way I look at his value is who  would I trade for Fournette and before last year I wouldn't consider trading Gurley but now I would so I would place Leonard Fournette above Gurley but I think Gurley is too high.  Bloom loves the Hurley Gurley Man but I'm not as high on him after last year so I would place Fournette in the 6 to 9 range on a dynasty RB list.

Dalvin Cook?  After Fournette so someplace in the 10-15 spot.

Christian McCaffrey?  I am intrigued but like guys who can and should carry the load over a jack-of-all-trades guy who might see a lot of special team duty so I'd have him below Cook in the 16-20 range?

Joe Mixon?  Loads of potential but I doubt any team would take him and plug him into a starting role and take the sort of PR hit that they could expect.  It would take him time before he saw a large chunk of PT so I'd put him after 20.

Where would you rank the rookie RBs from this draft class on Bloom's RB dynasty list?

I love Bloom but he's waaaay too high on Gurley. Last season was a dumpster fire and it's more than just a coaching change away in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'll take a stab at the top four rookie RBs from this draft and where they might fit on this list.

I love Leonard Fournette.  The way I look at his value is who  would I trade for Fournette and before last year I wouldn't consider trading Gurley but now I would so I would place Leonard Fournette above Gurley but I think Gurley is too high.  Bloom loves the Hurley Gurley Man but I'm not as high on him after last year so I would place Fournette in the 6 to 9 range on a dynasty RB list.

Dalvin Cook?  After Fournette so someplace in the 10-15 spot.

Christian McCaffrey?  I am intrigued but like guys who can and should carry the load over a jack-of-all-trades guy who might see a lot of special team duty so I'd have him below Cook in the 16-20 range?

Joe Mixon?  Loads of potential but I doubt any team would take him and plug him into a starting role and take the sort of PR hit that they could expect.  It would take him time before he saw a large chunk of PT so I'd put him after 20.

Where would you rank the rookie RBs from this draft class on Bloom's RB dynasty list?
We are nearly in sync on where we would draft the rookies. Though I have McCaffrey right there with Cook if he lands in a good spot (philly).

I love Bloom but he's waaaay too high on Gurley. Last season was a dumpster fire and it's more than just a coaching change away in my opinion.
.... but maybe a coaching change, AND an improvement in the OL, AND a more competent passing game to keep defenses honest, AND maybe the best defensive coordinator in the league to keep the Rams in games?

That's alotta maybes
Very true, and it's unlikely to all change at once(especially the OL) but he really was just in the worst possible position last year. It's almost hard to imagine how any of those situations stay as bad as the perfect storm working against him last season.

Very true, and it's unlikely to all change at once(especially the OL) but he really was just in the worst possible position last year. It's almost hard to imagine how any of those situations stay as bad as the perfect storm working against him last season.
Is it possible that his rookie year was a fluke? That he is not as good as we think he is? I am truly asking because I can't remember a young RB flopping worse than him one year to the next. 

Say half those things change next year. Will he produce like RB 4??? Sorry I still think that ranking is too high and I'm an owner.

Edit:  Okay just took another look at his list. Maybe this speaks to how badly RBs suck right now...

Say half those things change next year. Will he produce like RB 4??? Sorry I still think that ranking is too high and I'm an owner.

Edit:  Okay just took another look at his list. Maybe this speaks to how badly RBs suck right now...
I'm not sure if the RB's suck, or just the way NFL teams address the position of RB sucks for FF. Either way I feel more comfortable with the amount of Gurley will get when compared to the question marks of the RB's ranked behind him. And just for the record I do expect at least half of those changes to happen for the Rams in '17(the offensive playcalling and defense overall almost have to get better than what it was last season).

I also don't think his rookie season was a fluke, but I do think "best RB prospect since Peterson" means something different than what most people heard. That meant that people should have expected him to be somewhere between Peterson and McFadden/Moreno/Spiller/Ingram/Richardson. Seems true to me even after a bad year. 

Looking a little deeper in the list.., what are the thoughts on Darius Jackson?  Off the charts athletically; drafted well behind Zeke and released by the Cowboys; now on the Browns.  A potential sleeper behind Crowell/Duke?  Crow is an RFA? unrestricted for 2018?

Users who are viewing this thread