Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Limp Ditka

2017 Closer Thread: Bad Day To Be A Blake

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, Limp Ditka said:

Top 10 closers last year, 4 of them were from sub .500 teams, 2 of them on teams that lost over 90 games. Bad teams can still get plenty of save ops. It comes down to the closer living up to his responsibilities and keeping the job for 162 more than the # of wins the team gets

Closers on bad teams are great to have.  They don't win many games but typically all their wins are in close games so they are all save opportunities...plus they are spread out so they don't get overused. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, the moops said:

OK. We aren't talking about the closer for the Reds though. We are talking about the backup closer.

I think he's a good stash, especially early. Iglesias didn't have a full Spring Training so no reason to push him, even in back to backs yet. And, to my knowledge, Price hasn't come out and said 'this is ####### my guy' about anyone either.

Closer Monkey has it as a committee and it should be looked as such.

Edited by Limp Ditka
Price needs to be quoted with profanity included, amirtie?
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Storen got the save yesterday, he has some experience and the others don't. Not saying he's the guy but I'll be damned if he doesn't have as good of a chance as the others do. :shrug: 

Edited by Capella

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Don Quixote said:

Hope y'all held on to Koda Glover David Robertson

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Doctor Detroit said:

 

Everyone outside Glover has been a mess early on, so a trade is possible. Treinen does not seem long for the role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Freddy Galvis can take anybody deep.  I'm still boldly standing by my Treinen NL SV leader schtick.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure I should be holding onto all four of my lottery tickets - Storen, Ottovino, Ziegler and Strickland - at this point.  May bring one up into the UT hole to FAAB out - thinking Ziegler or Strickland.

Edited by dal_boys_phan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd drop Strickland.  Melancon has $60M worth of leash and it's unclear whether Strickland is the guy who'd get the 9th if Melancon had worked the two days prior.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eephus said:

I'd drop Strickland.  Melancon has $60M worth of leash and it's unclear whether Strickland is the guy who'd get the 9th if Melancon had worked the two days prior.

Only reason I am rostering Strickland is as a Melancon handcuff that can help lower ratios and add a K/inning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strickland's K and WHIP value has diminished a bit since he first came up.  He's been above average in both categories but hardly elite. 

Bochy had plenty of opportunities to give Strickland the 9th in the past few years but never did.  I don't think he's worth rostering in mixed leagues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dropped him for Felipe Rivero.  YOU GUYS HAPPY NOW?????

Edited by Doctor Detroit
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we think Neris will be the guy?

In a league with very limited transactions, so would like to get this right.  Hasn't Benoit been pretty not good when asked to be a closer or am I just remembering his terrible Ranger days?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, scoobus said:

Do we think Neris will be the guy?

In a league with very limited transactions, so would like to get this right.  Hasn't Benoit been pretty not good when asked to be a closer or am I just remembering his terrible Ranger days?

I was going to make a joke about Benoit killing it but not sure how many will get the reference....

I think both are good but it sounds like Neris will get the first shot. He's young (23 I think) and with the closer spot being such a volatile position, we might see Benoit close at some point this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure why the Phillies wouldn't give the spot to Neris.  He's not that young - will be 28 this year, but Benoit is damn near 40 and has been just an arm the past 10 years.  Not sure how much trade value they could build into a 39 year old reliever making 7.5 million who is what he is.

I grabbed Neris - not sure if I had limited transactions I would waste one on him, as there will be plenty of other situations to be settled/changed later on in the year, but if nothing else, Neris's K ratio's are pretty strong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, guru_007 said:

Not sure why the Phillies wouldn't give the spot to Neris.  He's not that young - will be 28 this year, but Benoit is damn near 40 and has been just an arm the past 10 years.  Not sure how much trade value they could build into a 39 year old reliever making 7.5 million who is what he is.

I grabbed Neris - not sure if I had limited transactions I would waste one on him, as there will be plenty of other situations to be settled/changed later on in the year, but if nothing else, Neris's K ratio's are pretty strong.

Benoit has an ERA of 2.68 and a 1.06 WHIP, a K rate north of 9 per. over the last decade and that's just an arm?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Limp Ditka said:

Benoit has an ERA of 2.68 and a 1.06 WHIP, a K rate north of 9 per. over the last decade and that's just an arm?

for rotosserie baseball purposes, yes.  5 wins and 7 saves per year with about 60 k's over 55 innings per year is just an arm.  And now it's a 39 year old arm.  Perhaps he is a better real pitcher than roto pitcher, but I could care less.

Neris's upside is much higher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

 

I think both are good but it sounds like Neris will get the first shot. He's young (23 I think) 

Close. Almost 28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, guru_007 said:

for rotosserie baseball purposes, yes.  5 wins and 7 saves per year with about 60 k's over 55 innings per year is just an arm.  And now it's a 39 year old arm.  Perhaps he is a better real pitcher than roto pitcher, but I could care less.

Neris's upside is much higher.

You know there are roto leagues out there that count holds? And that this guy is #2 in career holds and #1 over the last decade?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, guru_007 said:

Not sure why the Phillies wouldn't give the spot to Neris.  He's not that young - will be 28 this year, but Benoit is damn near 40 and has been just an arm the past 10 years.  Not sure how much trade value they could build into a 39 year old reliever making 7.5 million who is what he is.

I initially thought it was going to be Benoit, but I think I agree with this now. 

Neris is actually pretty good. Will be interesting to see if the Phils shop him come summer or if he's actually in their long-term plans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, guru_007 said:

for rotosserie baseball purposes, yes.  5 wins and 7 saves per year with about 60 k's over 55 innings per year is just an arm.  And now it's a 39 year old arm.  Perhaps he is a better real pitcher than roto pitcher, but I could care less.

Neris's upside is much higher.

Lol at thinking baseball teams care about your wins and saves stat. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure where I said a baseball team cared about my wins and saves stats.  But he has made over 700 appearances in his career for 7 teams and he has compiled a grand total of 51 saves, I guess the precedent has been set that no other team has had much faith in him as their solution as the closer.

Who knows, maybe something will change and the Phillies will give him a shot.  Doubt it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, guru_007 said:

Not sure where I said a baseball team cared about my wins and saves stats. 

You were literally talking about the Phillies thought process in making the decision. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Fat Drunk and Stupid said:

You know it's in Philadelphia's best interest to keep Neris in the 8th for arbitration purposes, right?

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing.  Plus Neris can pitch multiple innings and they are paying Benoit a pretty penny.  Seems like a share situation IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fat Drunk and Stupid said:

You know it's in Philadelphia's best interest to keep Neris in the 8th for arbitration purposes, right? make Neris the closer and then trade him for awesome prospects like they did with Ken Giles.

fyp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bobmel officially clarified the Oaklands' closer situation as a two man lefty/righty committee of Doolittle and Casilla.  That seems reasonable unless you're a Madson owner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Eephus said:

Bobmel officially clarified the Oaklands' closer situation as a two man lefty/righty committee of Doolittle and Casilla.  That seems reasonable unless you're a Madson owner.

I own Casilla in my H2H league, and Doolittle is available....and I think Doolittle is exponentially better...and I'm holding Casilla.  #### that whole thing. :bye:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2017 at 11:15 PM, Doctor Detroit said:
On 4/3/2017 at 10:25 PM, Doctor Detroit said:

Sam Dyson won't make it through the month as the Rangers closer right?  Oof, he's bad. 

So bad

Really bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Bush won't be the immediate answer in Texas.

 

Quote

 

Matt Bush has returned to Texas for an examination of the AC joint in his right shoulder.

Bush came down with some shoulder soreness after throwing 29 pitches in an appearance Sunday versus the Athletics. He'll get an injection back in Arlington and will be sidelined for at least a couple of days. Texas is having all kinds of bullpen problems at the moment, with Sam Dyson and Jeremy Jeffress both struggling and Bush now possibly facing an extended absence.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Limp Ditka said:

Looks like Bush won't be the immediate answer in Texas.

 

 

this aint fair. decided to low-pri closers in my big draft. took neris and bush as late-rounders, to go with a mid-rd established closer or two. guessed ab right on who'd fall apart first and now i get the reward from neither?! i feel like i want to die. good bye -

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2017 at 7:43 PM, Eephus said:

Tony Barnette

This is my dark horse in Texas.  Barnette tied Seung-hwan Oh as the SV leader in the Japan Central League in 2015.

There's a joke somewhere about doing it for the Swallows but I couldn't make it work.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.