What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (11 Viewers)

KC - first and foremost, your sacrifice and that of your son (I presume) are something we should all value, appreciate (and more, im sorry but there are no right words. Thank you and condolences).

Sensitive question but I believe worth asking. The flag represents our nation, but does that necessarily entail equating the flag with our troops? Yes, our troops and veterans protect our nation, but it is not as if they are completely one and the same. 

Can it be that those who choose to protest the flag and the anthem are directing their voice to the nation, to ideals they feel are not being reached but the nation regardless - why must it be viewed as a slight on the troops? 

Trying to be as sensitive in asking as possible and if you'd prefer not discuss I'd totally understand. Thank you again for your tremendous sacrifice.

:flag:  (why don't we have one of these?)
I think I covered this in either this thread or one of the others. My son is alive and well, and serving in the Marines. I consider myself lucky, because I know there are other parents that can't say that. I got to have a 10 minute phone conversation with him today. I also feel lucky, there are military parents and parents of black victims that didn't even get to have that. 

The flag means different things to different people. I understand the need for action against social injustice, I also feel that kneeling during the anthem is a sign of disrespect. As someone mentioned, can't we have both? The simple answer is no. At least for me. If kneeling for the flag has a meaning, then why doesn't standing for the flag? 

Do I have any bearing over whether or not someone stands? Nope. Do they care what I think? Nope. Does any of the discussion in this thread lead to any change, one way or the other? Nope. 

I've stayed away from posting in this thread lately, but when someone posts that people are spending Thanksgiving without their son, and that is why players kneel. I hope they take the time to understand why some stand. 

I think I covered this in either this thread or one of the others. My son is alive and well, and serving in the Marines. I consider myself lucky, because I know there are other parents that can't say that. I got to have a 10 minute phone conversation with him today. I also feel lucky, there are military parents and parents of black victims that didn't even get to have that. 

The flag means different things to different people. I understand the need for action against social injustice, I also feel that kneeling during the anthem is a sign of disrespect. As someone mentioned, can't we have both? The simple answer is no. At least for me. If kneeling for the flag has a meaning, then why doesn't standing for the flag? 

Do I have any bearing over whether or not someone stands? Nope. Do they care what I think? Nope. Does any of the discussion in this thread lead to any change, one way or the other? Nope. 

I've stayed away from posting in this thread lately, but when someone posts that people are spending Thanksgiving without their son, and that is why players kneel. I hope they take the time to understand why some stand. 
Thanks, and very well stated. 

Enjoy the rest of Thanksgiving.

jonessed said:
Even if we disregard differences in opinion about his political stance on the subject he’s choosing to address, his method of protest is certainly open to political disagreement.  Isn’t that obvious?
Yes we get it. Protest should be done at a time and in a manner that you find acceptable. Just keep in mind there has been some varient of your position about every major protest movement in like....ever.

I had my usual set of '2nd Thanksgiving' with the in-laws... and naturally the football game is put on. A very sweet elderly relative Aunt J was sitting watching the anthem come on. She is always pro-Trump, drinks up Fox and probably a fair amount of afternoon am radio... she's a wonderful woman, not kidding, bakes cookies and lasagnas for all, remembers everyone's birthdays down to 2nd cousins' kids... anyway she had been talking that afternoon about how disrepestful the NFL players were, and how Trump really had a point... I think she must have imagined players were kneeling en masse for the games. So the anthem comes on and.... she says "OH. It looks like they're all standing." 

I had my usual set of '2nd Thanksgiving' with the in-laws... and naturally the football game is put on. A very sweet elderly relative Aunt J was sitting watching the anthem come on. She is always pro-Trump, drinks up Fox and probably a fair amount of afternoon am radio... she's a wonderful woman, not kidding, bakes cookies and lasagnas for all, remembers everyone's birthdays down to 2nd cousins' kids... anyway she had been talking that afternoon about how disrepestful the NFL players were, and how Trump really had a point... I think she must have imagined players were kneeling en masse for the games. So the anthem comes on and.... she says "OH. It looks like they're all standing." 
I'm curious of the percentage of people who have strong opinions based on nothing except what they hear from a news source like Fox News or CNN?  I fear is very high.

Same that's wrong with Fox News, they all push their agenda. Anyone that doesn't realize that isn't paying attention. 
I do pay attention, and I strongly disagree with you. Fox pushes an agenda. MSNBC, on their opinion shows, pushes an agenda. CNN does not. CNN makes mistakes at times which are not deliberate, but is a generally trustworthy source for news. 

We have a real problem in this country because so many conservatives feel the way you do about CNN and other mainstream media sources. 

It’s not obvious to me. In fact it’s a false narrative. 
I'm sorry you don't see it.  I prefer CNN because I lean more to the Liberal side but I find it very obvious how CNN is the Liberal station and Fox is the Conservative station.  When you talk to a person and you know what news channel they watch just by hearing their views it seems pretty obvious.  I don't see them as a truly bipartisan station, I'm not even sure there is one.

I'm sorry you don't see it.  I prefer CNN because I lean more to the Liberal side but I find it very obvious how CNN is the Liberal station and Fox is the Conservative station.  When you talk to a person and you know what news channel they watch just by hearing their views it seems pretty obvious.  I don't see them as a truly bipartisan station, I'm not even sure there is one.
I think you are confusing MSNBC with CNN.

Nope, but that is one too.  Seriously.  Every news station sides with one party more than the other.  I don't know how anyone could deny it.
I deny it. 

Theres no evidence that CNN deliberately slants the news. And during their discussion forums, CNN is always very careful to have plenty of both liberals and conservatives at the same time, which is something Fox does NOT do and MSNBC does less often. 

Nope, but that is one too.  Seriously.  Every news station sides with one party more than the other.  I don't know how anyone could deny it.
While I disagree with Tim that there is t something wrong with getting news from one source only...CNN is not in Fox’’s level of crap at this point.

Fox has gotten even worse and is basically the media wing of this White House.  They are simply terrible 

You are correct, anyone trying to say otherwise is hilarious. 
Do you find it as strange as I do that some just don't see it?  There's nothing wrong with preferring one station over another because they support your opinion but to actually deny that it's skewed towards one side more that the other is a bit alarming. 

While I disagree with Tim that there is t something wrong with getting news from one source only...CNN is not in Fox’’s level of crap at this point.

Fox has gotten even worse and is basically the media wing of this White House.  They are simply terrible 
I won't argue that one.  I've always felt Fox News was the worst and at many times quite comical with how obvious it is.  This is why I prefer CNN but it's very obvious they lean to the left, just like me.

You've got blinders on, but that was already apparent. There isn't a station that reports news anymore that I'm aware of, CNN is guilty along with Fox/MSNBC. 
I’ve known for some time that many people feel as you do about this, and it disturbs me greatly. In fact I’m fairly convinced that it’s the source of almost all the problems we currently face in this country: the refusal of conservatives to accept the mainstream media as unbiased. 

I believe that the people to blame for this, mostly, are Rush Limbaugh and the other right wing talk show hosts who have pushed this false narrative for the last 30 years or so. But you are to blame to for having accepted it so easily. IMO, you and others like you have accepted it because it’s lazy: it allows you to reject uncomfortable facts. 

Do you find it as strange as I do that some just don't see it?  There's nothing wrong with preferring one station over another because they support your opinion but to actually deny that it's skewed towards one side more that the other is a bit alarming. 
It's insane but when you look at the amount of time some spend in here pushing their perspective I think it's clear they are on the extreme end of the spectrum, I think most can see this as it's pretty obvious. There just isn't a station that reports the news anymore, they all push their agenda unfortunately. 

I’ve known for some time that many people feel as you do about this, and it disturbs me greatly. In fact I’m fairly convinced that it’s the source of almost all the problems we currently face in this country: the refusal of conservatives to accept the mainstream media as unbiased. 

I believe that the people to blame for this, mostly, are Rush Limbaugh and the other right wing talk show hosts who have pushed this false narrative for the last 30 years or so. But you are to blame to for having accepted it so easily. IMO, you and others like you have accepted it because it’s lazy: it allows you to reject uncomfortable facts. 
You are out of touch, maybe it's the California bias. As much as you want to believe the 100% negativity on Trump CNN provides is true and is what you want to hear they are guilty as are the others.

I won't argue that one.  I've always felt Fox News was the worst and at many times quite comical with how obvious it is.  This is why I prefer CNN but it's very obvious they lean to the left, just like me.
That’s the difference.  Lean left vs what a fox does is a large difference.

I’ve posted a link to this a few times already in different threads. I’ll post it again because I think it’s accurate:

http://slatestarcodex.com/2017/05/01/neutral-vs-conservative-the-eternal-struggle/

It’s more complicated than just “CNN and Fox News are equally biased sides of the same coin” or “CNN is an objective disseminator of truth while Fox News is a deliberately misleading propaganda machine.”

The truth is somewhere in between.

What counts as “skewing towards one side”?  If CNN reports that Trump lied about something, does that count as skewing left, even if it’s factually accurate?

I think it’s true that mainstream sources often appear to lean left politically, but many times that’s simply because of the current absurdity of what’s going on on the right.  

What counts as “skewing towards one side”?  If CNN reports that Trump lied about something, does that count as skewing left, even if it’s factually accurate?

I think it’s true that mainstream sources often appear to lean left politically, but many times that’s simply because of the current absurdity of what’s going on on the right.  
If they spend half the day talking about it. 

You've got blinders on, but that was already apparent. There isn't a station that reports news anymore that I'm aware of, CNN is guilty along with Fox/MSNBC. 
Really convenient for you to have this opinion because it creates a nice safe place to continue misleading the public. You can quibble with CNN but Fox is blatant propaganda and y’all know it. 

The disconnect is comparing a network that spends half the day talking about the President to one that spends half the day talking about Hillary while avoiding anything negative about the President.
I am not sure i understand your point? What disconnect?

Way it should be>>>>>>>CNN>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>fox news.

Hey squis, can we get an update here? 

Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet 21h21 hours ago

#Vikings QB Case Keenum is out here balling.

And the fact that he’s become a legit starter of a very good team

means we all know nothing about QB evaluation.

Ryan golt‏ @Rgolteez 22h22 hours ago

7-8 weeks ago, I created a list of over 10 starting QB's who @Kaepernick7

was objectively better than. I stand by 9 of those, Case Keenum is dope

Last edited by a moderator:
If they spend half the day talking about it. 
This makes no sense. Do you watch the news half the day? I don’t. I turn it on whenever I turn it on, and I want to know what’s going on, the headlines. So CNN has to repeat the main news story throughout the day. But you infer from that that they’re biased? Silly. 

This makes no sense. Do you watch the news half the day? I don’t. I turn it on whenever I turn it on, and I want to know what’s going on, the headlines. So CNN has to repeat the main news story throughout the day. But you infer from that that they’re biased? Silly. 
CNN front page right now. The top 2 listed political stories...

13 most bizarre things from president trump's thanksgiving speech

Trump to play golf with Tiger Woods.

And please dont reply that fox news has some stupid hillary story or whatever other partisan junk there is there. cough *sho nuff* cough

Case Keenum is in for a nice payday next year as he only makes 2 million.  Can`t believe how good he looked yesterday. Matt Stafford 25 million..Case Keenem 2 million.

CNN front page right now. The top 2 listed political stories...

13 most bizarre things from president trump's thanksgiving speech

Trump to play golf with Tiger Woods.

And please dont reply that fox news has some stupid hillary story or whatever other partisan junk there is there. cough *sho nuff* cough
The conversation was comparing the two...and you are complaining about people comparing the two.

And why is itnidd to have the top 2 political stories be about the President?

Case Keenum is in for a nice payday next year as he only makes 2 million.  Can`t believe how good he looked yesterday. Matt Stafford 25 million..Case Keenem 2 million.
He has been impressive.  Interesting seeing him and Goff outside of Fishers tutelage.

I just turned on CNN. Top story- Black Friday not good for the “brick and mortar” shopping centers because people are buying on line. 

Second story- terrorist attack in Egypt. 

Third story- North Korean soldier shot while trying to escape, managed to escape anyhow. 

4th story- Michael Flynn no longer working with White House- is he going to squeal? 

1 out of 4 stories, and pretty far down the line...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/twitter-shreds-tomi-lahren-over-080910911.html

Twitter Shreds Tomi Lahren Over 'Disrespectful' Colin Kaepernick D-Day Photo

Tomi Lahren is catching heat online for sharing a picture in which football player Colin Kaepernick appears to be taking a knee during the D-Day landings.

The Fox News contributor posted the manipulated snap featuring the former San Francisco 49er to Twitter on Thursday:

https://twitter.com/TomiLahren/status/933800799330820097

“Food for thought,” read the caption.

Lahren has repeatedly criticized Kaepernick, who began protesting against racial injustice and police brutality by kneeling during the national anthem before games last year.

But her latest post drew sharp reaction on Twitter, with many people labelling it “disrespectful.” Here’s a sampling of the responses so far:

Vann R. Newkirk II ✔ @fivefifths 1:55 PM - Nov 23, 2017

This is literally the worst tweet I have ever seen

Andie Main @andiemain 12:56 PM - Nov 23, 2017

This does not qualify as an actual thought

Stephatism. @honesteph 12:59 PM - Nov 23, 2017

Here's a  thought. Enlist.

Col. Morris Davis ✔ @ColMorrisDavis 7:05 PM - Nov 23, 2017

And your service to America has been exactly what? Whining?

Really convenient for you to have this opinion because it creates a nice safe place to continue misleading the public. You can quibble with CNN but Fox is blatant propaganda and y’all know it. 
You are brainwashed as they want you to be, I clearly stated Fox was grouped in too but you are desperate to protect your agenda pushers. Not interested in the us vs them they taught you, have fun. 

Tomi Lahren is just the worst.  She depicts Kaepernick like that but would she say the same if someone create a similar meme with Trump instead since he actually dodged fighting in a war.

You are brainwashed as they want you to be, I clearly stated Fox was grouped in too but you are desperate to protect your agenda pushers. Not interested in the us vs them they taught you, have fun. 
It’s not brainwashing to understand the difference.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/twitter-shreds-tomi-lahren-over-080910911.html

Twitter Shreds Tomi Lahren Over 'Disrespectful' Colin Kaepernick D-Day Photo

Tomi Lahren is catching heat online for sharing a picture in which football player Colin Kaepernick appears to be taking a knee during the D-Day landings.

The Fox News contributor posted the manipulated snap featuring the former San Francisco 49er to Twitter on Thursday:

https://twitter.com/TomiLahren/status/933800799330820097

“Food for thought,” read the caption.

Lahren has repeatedly criticized Kaepernick, who began protesting against racial injustice and police brutality by kneeling during the national anthem before games last year.

But her latest post drew sharp reaction on Twitter, with many people labelling it “disrespectful.” Here’s a sampling of the responses so far:

Vann R. Newkirk II ✔ @fivefifths 1:55 PM - Nov 23, 2017

This is literally the worst tweet I have ever seen

Andie Main @andiemain 12:56 PM - Nov 23, 2017

This does not qualify as an actual thought

Stephatism. @honesteph 12:59 PM - Nov 23, 2017

Here's a  thought. Enlist.

Col. Morris Davis ✔ @ColMorrisDavis 7:05 PM - Nov 23, 2017

And your service to America has been exactly what? Whining?
Oh the humanity!

Users who are viewing this thread