What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (2 Viewers)

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter 2h2 hours ago

Former Bills’ QB JP Losman, now a 38-year-old offensive coach at Clemson, threw the ball to WRs/DBs so well at the school’s Pro Day today, that an NFL team actually asked him if he had any interest in coming back to the NFL, in which he last played a game in 2011. Losman declined

JP Losman? :unsure:

Well, after all, he does stand for the anthem.
Pretty sure the NFL has to maintain a quota of 5 Tulane Green Wave players every year, I suspect that's what's going on here.

Former Bills’ QB JP Losman, now a 38-year-old offensive coach at Clemson, threw the ball to WRs/DBs so well at the school’s Pro Day today, that an NFL team actually asked him if he had any interest in coming back to the NFL, in which he last played a game in 2011. Losman declined

Probly still better than Kap

Teams always looking for cheap backups in the NFL.

Evan Silva‏ @evansilva 52m52 minutes ago

Free agent QBs that make most sense for #Dolphins full-scale rebuild plan:

Blake Bortles

Sam Bradford

A.J. McCarron

Brock Osweiler

Mike Glennon

Actually Kaepernick makes more sense than this group of losers (although Miami with its Cuban population might make his signing a bit problematic).

:yes:

Jason La Canfora‏ @JasonLaCanfora 26m26 minutes ago

Reached out to source close to @Kaepernick7 and asked if he was interested in filling Miami QB vacancy. Was told “yes, he’s training hard and ready to play” could get interesting

Reached out to source close to @Kaepernick7 and asked if he was interested in filling Miami QB vacancy. Was told “yes, he’s training hard and ready to play” could get interesting
Don't hold your breath

Just heard John Clayton on the radio say that he expects the Dolphins to sign him.

Evan Silva‏ @evansilva 52m52 minutes ago

Free agent QBs that make most sense for #Dolphins full-scale rebuild plan:

Blake Bortles

Sam Bradford

A.J. McCarron

Brock Osweiler

Mike Glennon

Actually Kaepernick makes more sense than this group of losers (although Miami with its Cuban population might make his signing a bit problematic).
If Kaeperncik came to Miami, there would be protests by hundreds if not thousands of Cubans, now and on game day, I don't think owner Ross wants to deal with that. In addition, Miami will be bad,so they're playing to draft a QB early in the 2020 QB-loaded draft and to get more cap space. 

SoBeDad said:
If Kaeperncik came to Miami, there would be protests by hundreds if not thousands of Cubans, now and on game day, I don't think owner Ross wants to deal with that. In addition, Miami will be bad,so they're playing to draft a QB early in the 2020 QB-loaded draft and to get more cap space. 
This makes more inherent sense to me than the claim that the free speech issue about BLM was keeping Kaep from getting signed by many teams. It makes total sense to me that Floridians would object to his being signed. There are at least a dozen maybe 20 cities where I would see Kaep being no problem for a team in terms of goodwill or market impact. 

And it also shows how convoluted personnel matters are. New regime, new offense, and either draft a QB this year or next year.

:kicksrock:

Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet 59m59 minutes ago

The #Dolphins have signed a QB: They agreed to a deal with Ryan Fitzpatrick, source said.

With many teams filling their backup spots already it looks like it will be the Panthers or bust for Kappy this year. Thought the Dolphins were going to be the team until they got Fitz.

Don't subscribe to WSJ so can't read link. Were there quotes from anyone who gave them this information that was willing to go on the record, or was this from supposedly "informed" anonymous sources? Being that the WSJ is owned by Murdock (who also owns Fox News) I would be a bit skeptical about the figure quoted given that none of the parties can go on the record to either confirm or deny it.

Colin Kaepernick peacefully and silently takes a knee, millions of people take him to task for not adequately respecting the troops

Donald Trump craps on a dead war hero incessantly, skips a number of events honoring war veterans, renegs on a promise to donate to a veteran's group until a reporter calls him on it, and picks a fight with a Gold Star family, and those same people shrug their shoulders and get back to supporting him being the most powerful person on earth.

What difference between these two men could account for such different reactions from the same people?  Truly it is a mystery.

:lmao:  at the $60-$80M figure tossed around here.  By the same guy that tried to call out Andrew Brandt nonetheless.  NFL wins again.
To be fair, I saw a lot of people pretty gleeful about the 60-80 million. Enough I thought that's likely what it the real number was. 

Who really knows though.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nfl-paid-under-10-million-to-settle-colin-kaepernick-grievance-11553192288?mod=e2tws

Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid, the NFL stars who alleged the league’s teams colluded to keep them off the field after they led protests during the national anthem, will receive less than $10 million to settle grievances with the league, according to people briefed on the deal.
Exactly. The sources of this settlement figure are all anonymous and can't be confirmed or disputed by any of the parties without violating the NDA.

And while the WSJ used to have a lot of credibility, not as much now since it became part of the Murdock media empire. Fox News has had an axe to grind with Kaep in order to please Trump, so I am skeptical of the sources that won't go on the record (where I probably would be less so pre-Murdock acquisition).

Plus it seems unlikely Kaep would settle for half of less than $10 million (assuming his share was 50%). That seems too little to me. Not much better getting that paltry amount rather than going to court, losing and getting nothing.

To be fair, I saw a lot of people pretty gleeful about the 60-80 million. Enough I thought that's likely what it the real number was. 
I guess but how would have anyone have known so quickly when everything was supposed to be sealed?  I mean many were claiming that the smoking gun that would prove collusion is sealed because of court order but the finances were open.  That never made much sense to me.

Exactly. The sources of this settlement figure are all anonymous and can't be confirmed or disputed by any of the parties without violating the NDA.

And while the WSJ used to have a lot of credibility, not as much now since it became part of the Murdock media empire. Fox News has had an axe to grind with Kaep in order to please Trump, so I am skeptical of the sources that won't go on the record (where I probably would be less so pre-Murdock acquisition).

Plus it seems unlikely Kaep would settle for half of less than $10 million (assuming his share was 50%). That seems too little to me. Not much better getting that paltry amount rather than going to court, losing and getting nothing.
5 million dollars is not much better than going to court losing and getting nothing?

:lmao:

I was extremely skeptical of the $60-$80 million figure (not that it couldn't be that high, just that it was the true figure range from someone with knowledge of the settlement). It all traced back to a certain tweet by an individual with a less-than-stellar reputation for professional honesty.

I am not as distrusting of this report off-hand, but certainly don't regard it as iron-clad truth.

5 million dollars is not much better than going to court losing and getting nothing?
Not to someone who is already a multi-millionaire and after the lawyer's take their cut. And Kaep is doing fine financially, I think he is pretty much set financially with just the Nike deal and he could probably make as much in speaker fees going around the country as he could in the NFL. If he is just going to get peanuts, why settle when he could embarrass the NFL with what they found in discovery being publically released and not being accused of selling out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to someone who is already a multi-million and after the lawyer's take their cut. And Kaep is doing fine financially, I think he is pretty much set financially with just the Nike deal and he could probably make as much in speaker fees going around the country as he could in the NFL. If he is just going to get peanuts, why settle when he could embarrass the NFL with what they found in discovery being publically released and not being accused of selling out?
Link to the stuff found in discovery that would embarrass the NFL, please?  Thanks in advance

Who cares though..it was 5 million more than he had the day before with no chance of losing. A little bit is better than nada.

Link to the stuff found in discovery that would embarrass the NFL, please?  Thanks in advance
Don't be disingenuous, That is like me asking you for what was not found in discovery, or for proof that there was no collusion.  

There was a private settlement and a non-disclosure agreement for all parties. So no one can provide any documentation of anything either way.

It is fair to conclude that if nothing was found in discovery to embarrass the NFL, then there would be no reason for the NFL to settle and instead have the grievance hearing go forward in order to make Kaep and his attorney's look like complete fools for pursuing a frivolous lawsuit.

That would have been a complete victory for the NFL and a humiliating defeat for Kaep if indeed there was absolutely no evidence of collusion. So it stands to reason the NFL paid Kaep off to silence him. If there was nothing to silence him about, then no reason to settle or have an NDA as there would be nothing to disclose.

Don't be disingenuous, That is like me asking you for what was not found in discovery, or for proof that there was no collusion.  

There was a private settlement and a non-disclosure agreement for all parties. So no one can provide any documentation of anything either way.

It is fair to conclude that if nothing was found in discovery to embarrass the NFL, then there would be no reason for the NFL to settle and instead have the grievance hearing go forward in order to make Kaep and his attorney's look like complete fools for pursuing a frivolous lawsuit.

That would have been a complete victory for the NFL and a humiliating defeat for Kaep if indeed there was absolutely no evidence of collusion. So it stands to reason the NFL paid Kaep off to silence him. If there was nothing to silence him about, then no reason to settle or have an NDA as there would be nothing to disclose.
I’ll take Andrew Brandt over you.  If there was a smoking gun it would have been leaked a long time ago.  You’re just grasping at straws because you’ve spent weeks of your life hoping this guy could take down the NFL.  The NFL won again. 

I’ll take Andrew Brandt over you.  If there was a smoking gun it would have been leaked a long time ago.  You’re just grasping at straws because you’ve spent weeks of your life hoping this guy could take down the NFL.  The NFL won again. 
No they didn't because they settled. Since we don't know the actual terms of the settlement I can just as easily and justifiably claim that Kaep was the winner.

No they didn't because they settled. Since we don't know the actual terms of the settlement I can just as easily and justifiably claim that Kaep was the winner.
Ten million bucks divided by 32 and no collusion equals winning.  I’d agree CK won too because he got cash.  It’s not one or the other. 

There are tons of reasons to settle and be done with it. For a few hundred thousand per team, it's a no brainer for them. 

I know that Kappy winning was very import am happy for you.

There are tons of reasons to settle and be done with it. For a few hundred thousand per team, it's a no brainer for them. 
Kappy and Reid got a few deserved bucks but the NFL won again..the Anthem issue disappeared, ratings were up, and  they shut down a huge problem for pennies on the dollar.

Who really knows though.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nfl-paid-under-10-million-to-settle-colin-kaepernick-grievance-11553192288?mod=e2tws

Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid, the NFL stars who alleged the league’s teams colluded to keep them off the field after they led protests during the national anthem, will receive less than $10 million to settle grievances with the league, according to people briefed on the deal.
I’m as guilty as anyone else for/against Kaep’s cause. I just want to see Goodell on a witness stand or under oath. Do that and you have my backing, Adrian Peterson, Kaep, whoever, and it is for that reason I’m ticked at the result. It is in fact >I< who wanted to see Kaep trounce the NFL for my own personal crusade, while even objectively feeling many teams probably had legitimate football reasons for not signing him. Oh well Justice evaded again. But I don’t begrudge the man getting his 5-8 mill or whatever. I think he himself said he was willing to take minimum or near minimum at one point.

You do seem upset that they did not get more money and Goodell-NFL was not proven guilty of collusion but you need to look at Kappys lawyer.   If Kappy`s lawyer thought their case was rock solid there is no way they would have settled. Good lawyers know when to fight and when to cut bait, take the offer and run with it. So there had to be a decent chance of losing and getting nothing.

Instead Kappy got what he would have been paid as a backup QB the last 2 seasons, Reid got some cash too.  So both sides can claim victory.

That's so cheap I think @timschochet owes @Ramblin Wreck an apology. 
I made no predictions about this. I didn’t think the lawsuit was worth anything to begin with. What I wrote is that I figured that the NFL might have colluded, but there was no possible way to prove it and anyhow, why can’t they collude to keep a player out if they want to? But not being a lawyer, I declined to predict the outcome. 

timschochet said:
I made no predictions about this. I didn’t think the lawsuit was worth anything to begin with. What I wrote is that I figured that the NFL might have colluded, but there was no possible way to prove it and anyhow, why can’t they collude to keep a player out if they want to? But not being a lawyer, I declined to predict the outcome. 
I thought you were the one campaigning for WR to apologize to Squiz, no?

I've never seen anything like this before.  Why the guy was allowed to play that silliness to begin with?

Owner.....don't do that, ok?

Hard to believe it came to all this.

Obviously because he probably got substantially more money than the arbitrator would have awarded for his lost QB salary for 2 years, plus damages. Also, there was no guarantee that the arbitrator would rule in his favor. I figured he would get about $50 million if the arbitrator ruled in his favor, so the speculated settlement figure of $60-$80 million seems about right and would have been foolish to refuse.

Plus he can be signed now for the 2019 season, although realistically I think his career is over.
So splitting $10 million, a tenth of what you figured, would be pretty bad?

Fun math fact of the day.  Assuming all 32 teams shared in the payoff to make this situation go away:  The Seattle Seahawks will have paid more to Russel Wilson in the first 10 minutes of the very first game.

In case anyone needs to be reminded as to what Kapernick was kneeling about.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/texas/2019/05/07/watch-before-death-jail-sandra-bland-recorded-video-run-texas-trooper

Watch: Before death in jail, Sandra Bland recorded her own video of run-in with Texas trooper

Sandra Bland, a black woman who was found dead in a Texas jail days after a July 2015 traffic stop, recorded part of her confrontation with the white state trooper who arrested her, according to newly released cellphone video.

The video — a 39-second clip depicting Bland's interaction with Trooper Brian Encinia — was obtained by the Investigative Network, a nonprofit news organization, and aired Monday on WFAA-TV (Channel 8).

The clip starts after Encinia opened Bland's door in an attempt to get her to exit her car. He holds out a stun gun toward Bland and demands she leave her car.

"Get out of the car. I will light you up!" Encinia said as he held the stun gun.

Bland then leaves the car, but continues filming the interaction. Encinia demands Bland put her phone down, and she responds that she has a right to record.

The video stops a few seconds after he repeatedly tells her to stop recording.

Encinia pulled Bland over for failing to user her turn signal near in Prairie View. She was taken to the Waller County Jail and was found dead in her cell a few days later. Officials ruled her death a suicide.

Bland's arrest and death sparked national outrage and renewed the national discussion on how officers interact with black citizens.

Users who are viewing this thread