What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (4 Viewers)

In case anyone needs to be reminded as to what Kapernick was kneeling about.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/texas/2019/05/07/watch-before-death-jail-sandra-bland-recorded-video-run-texas-trooper

Watch: Before death in jail, Sandra Bland recorded her own video of run-in with Texas trooper

Sandra Bland, a black woman who was found dead in a Texas jail days after a July 2015 traffic stop, recorded part of her confrontation with the white state trooper who arrested her, according to newly released cellphone video.

The video — a 39-second clip depicting Bland's interaction with Trooper Brian Encinia — was obtained by the Investigative Network, a nonprofit news organization, and aired Monday on WFAA-TV (Channel 8).

The clip starts after Encinia opened Bland's door in an attempt to get her to exit her car. He holds out a stun gun toward Bland and demands she leave her car.

"Get out of the car. I will light you up!" Encinia said as he held the stun gun.

Bland then leaves the car, but continues filming the interaction. Encinia demands Bland put her phone down, and she responds that she has a right to record.

The video stops a few seconds after he repeatedly tells her to stop recording.

Encinia pulled Bland over for failing to user her turn signal near in Prairie View. She was taken to the Waller County Jail and was found dead in her cell a few days later. Officials ruled her death a suicide.

Bland's arrest and death sparked national outrage and renewed the national discussion on how officers interact with black citizens.
This has nothing to do with keapernick. Totally different subject 

That is not true, the traffic stop and jailing of Sandra Bland was the type of targeting of AAs by LEOs that Kaepernick was protesting: and became part of the Black Lives Matter protests

https://www.vox.com/2019/5/7/18535659/sandra-bland-video-traffic-stop-brian-encinia-texas-police

A new video that has emerged this week is raising new questions about the fate of Sandra Bland, a black woman whose death in a Texas jail cell following a July 2015 traffic stop sparked national Black Lives Matter protests, and added fuel to ongoing discussions about the ways black men and women are treated by police officers.
And she was discussed earlier in the thread and no one complained at the time that it had nothing to do with Kaep.

I see what you meant now. That's a fair point. Would be a better comparison though if this guy worked where Colin lived. It also presumes that Colin's protest is 100% on the up and up. I just cant get his original statement and follow up behavior out of my head, so I will never take him seriously. I think you can mock Colin and still be opposed to what happened to Jordan Edwards and Sandra Bland.  

But I do at least feel that if you were to come up with a list of "good behavior" rules for a police officer, you wouldn't put this on the list. It just isn't really to the level of bad behavior either. More of the eyeroll, move on it's halloween, type. 

But certainly not racist and certainly doesnt fuel some crazy deranged meme that some people create in their racist heads. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Why was she arrested? Unless she had an outstanding warrant, yes it certainly does. I guarantee if I were to do the same as she, I would have been at home eating dinner with my family that evening.

Where's all the outrage when a white female soccer player protests the anthem?  Hmmm....
Trump was outraged.

https://time.com/5613766/trump-says-inappropriate-megan-rapinoe-national-anthem-protest/

Trump Says It's Inappropriate for U.S. Soccer Star Megan Rapinoe to Protest During the National Anthem

President Donald Trump thinks it’s inappropriate for Megan Rapinoe, the U.S. women’s soccer team co-captain, to protest during the national anthem.

At the FIFA Women’s World Cup in France, where the U.S. team advanced to the quarterfinals with a win against Spain on Monday, Rapinoe has stood motionless when “The Star Spangled Banner” is sung at pre-game ceremonies. Rapinoe has long been outspoken about her decision to keep quiet or kneel during the national anthem to protest police brutality and discrimination against minorities.

Asked by The Hill if Rapinoe’s protests were appropriate, Trump said, “No. I don’t think so.”

Rapinoe, 33, first knelt during the national anthem in September 2016, as a gesture of solidarity with African American football players in the NFL, including former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, whose kneeling protests sparked national debate. In February, Kaepernick settled a lawsuit he had opened against the NFL arguing that team owners and officials had colluded to keep him out of the league after his protests.

“Being a gay American, I know what it means to look at the flag and not have it protect all of your liberties,” Rapinoe told American Soccer Now to explain her decision to start protesting in 2016.

After Rapinoe’s protest, the U.S. Soccer Federation introduced a rule requiring players to “stand respectfully” during the anthem. Rapinoe then began standing still and expressionless when it was sung at games.

In May, she told Yahoo Sports she would “probably never put [her] hand over [her] heart” or “sing the national anthem” again.

In the same interview, she called Trump “sexist,” “racist” and “not a good person.”

Why was she arrested? Unless she had an outstanding warrant, yes it certainly does. I guarantee if I were to do the same as she, I would have been at home eating dinner with my family that evening.
I am Hispanic and got arrested for having an unpaid no proof of insurance ticket.  I showed that I had my proof and they still took me in.

Trump was outraged.

https://time.com/5613766/trump-says-inappropriate-megan-rapinoe-national-anthem-protest/

Trump Says It's Inappropriate for U.S. Soccer Star Megan Rapinoe to Protest During the National Anthem

President Donald Trump thinks it’s inappropriate for Megan Rapinoe, the U.S. women’s soccer team co-captain, to protest during the national anthem.

At the FIFA Women’s World Cup in France, where the U.S. team advanced to the quarterfinals with a win against Spain on Monday, Rapinoe has stood motionless when “The Star Spangled Banner” is sung at pre-game ceremonies. Rapinoe has long been outspoken about her decision to keep quiet or kneel during the national anthem to protest police brutality and discrimination against minorities.

Asked by The Hill if Rapinoe’s protests were appropriate, Trump said, “No. I don’t think so.”

Rapinoe, 33, first knelt during the national anthem in September 2016, as a gesture of solidarity with African American football players in the NFL, including former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, whose kneeling protests sparked national debate. In February, Kaepernick settled a lawsuit he had opened against the NFL arguing that team owners and officials had colluded to keep him out of the league after his protests.

“Being a gay American, I know what it means to look at the flag and not have it protect all of your liberties,” Rapinoe told American Soccer Now to explain her decision to start protesting in 2016.

After Rapinoe’s protest, the U.S. Soccer Federation introduced a rule requiring players to “stand respectfully” during the anthem. Rapinoe then began standing still and expressionless when it was sung at games.

In May, she told Yahoo Sports she would “probably never put [her] hand over [her] heart” or “sing the national anthem” again.

In the same interview, she called Trump “sexist,” “racist” and “not a good person.”
I don;t think that is outraged - he was much more derogatory to Kaep.  

It is equally amusing to see how many on the right care whether an athlete puts their hand on their heart or sings during the playing of national anthem.    It amazes me that anyone spends more than 10 seconds thinking about it.  
I would have no idea who this women is or what she did if not for the cheerleading done in this thread.  Not a fan of a person who puts their personal politics over the country they are alledgely representing.  She is not worth the time of day.  

Where's all the outrage when a white female soccer player protests the anthem?  Hmmm....
This is a lame comment. Kaep was the first and most high profile. Tons of people hopped on the bandwagon, they didnt get anywhere near as much media coverage. There are plenty of people in the nfl that were kneeling and people couldnt even tell you their name. 

I would have no idea who this women is or what she did if not for the cheerleading done in this thread.  Not a fan of a person who puts their personal politics over the country they are alledgely representing.  She is not worth the time of day.  
It strikes me that she is doing the exact opposite. 

It strikes me that she is doing the exact opposite. 
There are three quotes from her in the story.  Each one is political and is a criticism of this country and seem to imply she will never have any respect for this country.  Not sure how you spin that as putting country over personal politics, but I am sure you will try.    

jon_mx said:
There are three quotes from her in the story.  Each one is political and is a criticism of this country and seem to imply she will never have any respect for this country.  Not sure how you spin that as putting country over personal politics, but I am sure you will try.    
Rapinoe is garbage and a hypocrite. No respect  for our country, but she will certainly use it to her benefit. Hates USA but wears it on her uniform. She is worse than Crapernick but both are worthless. Most people dont even know who she is, but  I will be pulling for whatever team plays US in world cup. How anyone could cheer for someone like that is beyond me.

should I be more concerned about someone who doesn't put their hand over their heart while the national anthem plays or at a President who obstructs justice into foreign interference in our elections, who openly solicits foreign countries to commit crimes against US citizens, and who openly calls our free press the enemy of the people?  which one is more disrespectful and harmful to our country?  gotta be the woman soccer play, right?

jon_mx said:
Spin isn’t necessary in this instance. She’s using her position to draw attention to issues she cares about in the hopes that she can affect change. In doing do she’s putting her personal reputation at risk. It’s naive IMO (So was Kaepernick) but it’s also in keeping with our greatest traditions of American protest. Much like William Lloyd Garrison’s public burning of the Constitution, its a profoundly patriotic act. 

jon_mx said:
Always heart-warming to see how many on the left embrace disrespecting their country.   
We aren’t embracing Trump.  We are embracing free speech and the opportunity to stand expressionless during the anthem. 

This is also a huge generalization and completely baseless assertion you are making.

Yes, but it was an Hispanic cop that arrested me too and I had my POI on me at the time.
I admit to not being familiar with the laws in your area, since I dont know even know where this happened, but what does current POI have to do with a past violation and not paying the ticket for a past violation? Are you allowed to be arrested for an unpaid violation or not?

I admit to not being familiar with the laws in your area, since I dont know even know where this happened, but what does current POI have to do with a past violation and not paying the ticket for a past violation? Are you allowed to be arrested for an unpaid violation or not?
I always had insurance, just did not have it on me first time I was pulled over. It was no big deal my fines were dismissed.

should I be more concerned about someone who doesn't put their hand over their heart while the national anthem plays or at a President who obstructs justice into foreign interference in our elections, who openly solicits foreign countries to commit crimes against US citizens, and who openly calls our free press the enemy of the people?  which one is more disrespectful and harmful to our country?  gotta be the woman soccer play, right?
Is that soccer thing going on right now?

jon_mx said:
The country they are representing is one that has enshrined in its documents the tolerance of dissent.  Respect for the expression rights of the minority as well as the majority, or at least that is my understanding.  I find her, therefore, representative of her country. 

jon_mx said:
I would interpret her comments as supportive of her country, except when it falls short of its obligations under its foundational principals.  She is not supportive of falling short.

The country they are representing is one that has enshrined in its documents the tolerance of dissent.  Respect for the expression rights of the minority as well as the majority, or at least that is my understanding.  I find her, therefore, representative of her country. 
Yep, that is the spin I was referring too.    This is like having a wife, but telling her you can not show love to her because she is a bit chubby.  Yes, you can spin it that you love her because she has not met her ideal weight which would be healthier.   You either show her love despite her imperfections or you really don't love her, IMHO.  

The President isn’t “the country”.
Well, if you want to split hairs that way then her comments are no less divisive to "the country" than anything Trump has said.

Don't get me wrong, she has every right to say/do what she's doing, but it is nonsense to think it is "supportive of the country." It alienates the very people she ostensibly wants to change, creating even more division.

Well, if you want to split hairs that way then her comments are no less divisive to "the country" than anything Trump has said.

Don't get me wrong, she has every right to say/do what she's doing, but it is nonsense to think it is "supportive of the country." It alienates the very people she ostensibly wants to change, creating even more division.
I don’t think it’s nonsense at all.  I think it’s nonsense to now complain that athletes must sing the anthem and can’t even silently protest while standing.  And I don’t think she is the one being divisive m...she is speaking out against the division.

I don’t think it’s nonsense at all.  I think it’s nonsense to now complain that athletes must sing the anthem and can’t even silently protest while standing.  And I don’t think she is the one being divisive m...she is speaking out against the division.
That's cool. I find using that time to call attention to herself above both her team and her country to be offensive.

Is that soccer thing going on right now?
I don't know because I don't pay too much attention to what female soccer players are doing while the national anthem is being played.  is the President still obstructing justice right now?  he might've just tweeted some more obstruction this morning.  should my outrage be about equal for these two things or is one even a little bit more important?

POTUS weighs in...

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump 26m26 minutes ago

Women’s soccer player, @mPinoe, just stated that she is “not going to the F...ing White House if we win.” Other than the NBA, which now refuses to call owners, owners (please explain that I just got Criminal Justice Reform passed, Black unemployment is at the lowest level...

....in our Country’s history, and the poverty index is also best number EVER), leagues and teams love coming to the White House. I am a big fan of the American Team, and Women’s Soccer, but Megan should WIN first before she TALKS! Finish the job! We haven’t yet....

....invited Megan or the team, but I am now inviting the TEAM, win or lose. Megan should never disrespect our Country, the White House, or our Flag, especially since so much has been done for her & the team. Be proud of the Flag that you wear. The USA is doing GREAT!

Rapinoe is garbage and a hypocrite. No respect  for our country, but she will certainly use it to her benefit. Hates USA but wears it on her uniform. She is worse than Crapernick but both are worthless. Most people dont even know who she is, but  I will be pulling for whatever team plays US in world cup. How anyone could cheer for someone like that is beyond me.
You may feel better in a country where everyone is forced to stand for the anthem and not speak out against their country without being punished.  It sounds like that's what you are looking for.

POTUS weighs in...

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump 26m26 minutes ago

Women’s soccer player, @mPinoe, just stated that she is “not going to the F...ing White House if we win.” Other than the NBA, which now refuses to call owners, owners (please explain that I just got Criminal Justice Reform passed, Black unemployment is at the lowest level...

....in our Country’s history, and the poverty index is also best number EVER), leagues and teams love coming to the White House. I am a big fan of the American Team, and Women’s Soccer, but Megan should WIN first before she TALKS! Finish the job! We haven’t yet....

....invited Megan or the team, but I am now inviting the TEAM, win or lose. Megan should never disrespect our Country, the White House, or our Flag, especially since so much has been done for her & the team. Be proud of the Flag that you wear. The USA is doing GREAT!
You know what’s funny? This tweet doesn’t bother me at all. In fact I applaud the President. I think it’s classy to invite the team anyhow (a reversal from his stance last year with the NBA). I don’t agree with him about disrespecting the flag but he certainly has the right to offer his opinion. I like how he’s rooting for the team anyhow (unlike a certain poster here) and yes he does deserve credit for criminal justice reform.

Doesn't our President curse at his rallies and call US citizens names?  Why are you holding a person who you never knew before now to a higher standard than our President?
I'm not and I've never done that. Based on what I've seen the President should be impeached but for lack of evidence.

Even so, there's a difference between Trump, the office of the President and the U.S. overall.

jon_mx said:
Always heart-warming to see how many on the left embrace disrespecting their country.   
So, to be respectful, would you require all athletes participating in any game be required to:

1) Stand for the anthem?

2) Place a hand over their heart?

3) Sing all the words?

4) Not be expressionless and have a smile on their face?

If so and you demand this degree of compliance, then we would be entering the territory of an authoritarian regime like North Korea.

I'm not and I've never done that. Based on what I've seen the President should be impeached but for lack of evidence.

Even so, there's a difference between Trump, the office of the President and the U.S. overall.
Do you feel that many other people tend to hold others to a higher standard than they do the President?

So, to be respectful, would you require all athletes participating in any game be required to:

1) Stand for the anthem?

2) Place a hand over their heart?

3) Sing all the words?

4) Not be expressionless and have a smile on their face?

If so and you demand this degree of compliance, then we would be entering the territory of an authoritarian regime like North Korea.
I don't require anything.  What she actually does has little bearing.  It is her attitude which she states that I find repulsive.  If you don't respect our country and its laws, why represent the country on the soccer field?  

Do you feel that many other people tend to hold others to a higher standard than they do the President?
I honestly can't say what others do in relation to judging the President. This thread is about whether the national anthem should be a platform for protest. That is what my comments are intended to be directed toward.

Users who are viewing this thread