What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I love DRAFT DAY!! (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
So much so that I take off Friday every year during the draft.  It's like Christmas Day as a kid.  I liked it better when they did it on the weekend and I don't care much for the 1 rd Thursday.

Carry on

Last edited by a moderator:
The prolonged 3 day draft sucks ***.  Much rather hunker down with buddies for an extended period on Saturday and watch the first few rounds shake out.

One of an increasing number of bad marketing ideas that is driving people away through oversaturation IMO. The NFL is losing its status as being a truly special event.

So much so that I take off Friday every year during the draft.  It's like Christmas Day as a kid.  I liked it better when they did it on the weekend and I don't care much for the 1 rd Thursday.
Today is draft day, and its the First round, but you dont like it? But you love draft day, eh?  :loco:

The prolonged 3 day draft sucks ***.  Much rather hunker down with buddies for an extended period on Saturday and watch the first few rounds shake out.

One of an increasing number of bad marketing ideas that is driving people away through oversaturation IMO. The NFL is losing its status as being a truly special event.
No its not. What the... Today is a day we are all excited, at least most of us, and people are in here talking about what they dont like? Enjoy the excitement, so many other things to complain about. Regardless of what you think, the NFL has people taking off Fridays because of some random Thursday devoted to them in April.

Today is draft day, and its the First round, but you dont like it? But you love draft day, eh?  :loco:

No its not. What the... Today is a day we are all excited, at least most of us, and people are in here talking about what they dont like? Enjoy the excitement, so many other things to complain about. Regardless of what you think, the NFL has people taking off Fridays because of some random Thursday devoted to them in April.
I thought I was clear, but I don't like that they only have one round on Thursday.  I liked it better when they did the first few rounds on Saturday.  That seems so long ago now.

I loved draft day not draft week. If I need to burn a holiday to watch one round of the draft, then they #*@*( up.

Looking forward to it but was a million times better before. Sometimes you need to let a small short term gain of more tv money in prime time for the much better experience of having a draft that is convenient for everyone to watch. But the nfl is all about the short term money.

At first I was not a fan of splitting the draft into 3 days, but I really think it helps teams regroup after round 1, look at what's on the board and wheel/deal for trades for round 2 and 3. 

I've turned into a fan of the spread out draft. I don't usually sit down and watch the whole thing. Tonight I will flip it on late and hope to catch the Packer's pick. I'll follow on my tablet to see who is going where. If there's a big trade I'll change the channel to see what it is. 

In general I think the theatrics of the NFL draft are over done. I can't stand Chris Berman. Wish ESPN would lay him off instead of the other on air talent they let go. (There are several others I'd lobby for as well). 

At first I was not a fan of splitting the draft into 3 days, but I really think it helps teams regroup after round 1, look at what's on the board and wheel/deal for trades for round 2 and 3. 

I've turned into a fan of the spread out draft. I don't usually sit down and watch the whole thing. Tonight I will flip it on late and hope to catch the Packer's pick. I'll follow on my tablet to see who is going where. If there's a big trade I'll change the channel to see what it is. 

In general I think the theatrics of the NFL draft are over done. I can't stand Chris Berman. Wish ESPN would lay him off instead of the other on air talent they let go. (There are several others I'd lobby for as well). 
I think most people agree with you here.  That's why I always watch the draft on the NFL Network and will occasionally flip back to ESPN.  Berman needs to go.

Berman is gone. Forced into retirement after last season.

Berman is gone. Forced into retirement after last season.
Oh thank God. see, this is the extent of my knowledge of ESPN. I think the last time I turned it on (aside from an NFL game) was last year's draft

Perhaps I will turn it on tonight. Depends on if the kids go to bed without a fuss 

I love draft day too. Back when I was a kid, my father and I would stay home from work/school to watch the draft on ESPN.

I was there...watching live...when the Jets, picking 2nd overall, took Johnny "Lam" Jones WR out of Texas.

Next pick was Anthony Munoz.

Johnny Lam Jones is the Sam Bowie of Jets draft picks.

I am taking advantage of my unemployed-ness (hopefully this will end next week) and also taking advantage of the nice weather here in SoCal and going to do some day beers and then watch the first round somewhere.  I am absolutely giddy regardless.  Six dynasty leagues, a couple of which where I have multiple 1st round picks, so excited for that angle too.

It was a MUCH more enjoyable event for me when it was Saturday.  Tonight I will flip over to the draft in between commercials and intermission of the Pens-Caps game.

went to the jets #1 pick Draft in '96. the year Keyshawn came out, but Peyton stayed in school.  Fun atmosphere waiting on line to get in, Mike Francessa showed up, worked the crowd line.  We were all given FM radio's to listen to ESPNS's feed, we could hear Berman cursing in between commercials, awesome.  We also got a great handout from the NFL.

Fun times.

I'll be tuning in as well, and warts and all, I love the first round of the draft.

It was a MUCH more enjoyable event for me when it was Saturday.  Tonight I will flip over to the draft in between commercials and intermission of the Pens-Caps game.
Oilers game last night, Round 1 tonight. Then Round 2 before the game tomorrow, Round 3 during intermissions of tomorrow's Oil game. Saturday, Rounds 4 through 7. Sunday Oil again. 

This year I love the way they have the draft. But that's obviously a rare occasion.

Exactly!

Watch the first two days in their entirety, but just kind of check in over the weekend.  Love the draft, but used to hate sitting around on a beautiful spring Saturday afternoon watching TV.  This is set up perfect for the draft fanatic.  Get to watch with zero guilt.

Love the draft.  Just one big hustle

Yeah Saturday was so much better. The time between picks was too long but it was still an event. I usually had it on the tv all day.

Now I just check Twitter to see the picks while I'm watching something better.

And as a jets fan it's not like I have anything to look forward to anyway

I guess I am old....  I recall Draft Day always was Tuesday/Wednesday.  Growing up in a house where I was removed from school so i could watch live baseball playoff games in the 70's..... (they were in the daytime back then, not primetime)...Mom used to always let me take Draft day off from school as well.  Last Tuesday in April I was not going to be in school.  Bank on it.

Love that they do it late April, always coincides closely with my birthday. This year it's my birthday AND draft day!  :banned:

I understand the Berman comments, but you have to respect the fact that he is part of what made the NFL and espn popular over the last 2 decades. Don't want to turn it into a berman thread, just want to stand up for the guys accomplishments. It's probably hard for him at this age to ad lib and eat up minutes between picks, but he earned the right to be there.

happy birthday, your team selects........

Users who are viewing this thread