What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Need a new computer monitor - need help (1 Viewer)

wilked

Footballguy
Wife is going to start working from home a few days a week.  I need 1 or 2 (2 ideal) monitors.  Guidelines:

1. No gaming, not now or forecasted

2. Typical office duties (MS Office Suite).  

3. Current computers will connect via DVI, but expect that to turn to HDMI in the next couple years

Based on the above can anyone recommend a model?  What size?  21"?  Is it easy to do 2 monitors from a single DVI output on laptop?

Thanks!

Does laptop have a dock? This often makes it easier for external monitors, don't have to do as much with connecting and disconnecting them each time you move machine.

Dual monitors are nice. I had a couple from work for the days I telecommuted that I also used for my personal home PC tower. Had to return when my position was eliminated so I bought this single larger monitor:

LG 32MA68HY-P 32-Inch IPS Monitor with Display Port and HDMI Inputs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IA9FXAO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_m1adzbWFDK6EN

So far I really like it. You can also do side by side windows but they are a little narrow compared to the dual 19 inch (I think?) square monitors I had before.

I went with the single monitor because I couldn't find any dual monitors that weren't the wide screen with very short height. I thought about two of those but really didn't like the height.

I have dual 17" monitors at work and it's HUGELY beneficial, even with these smaller monitors.  Being able to do things as easy as inputting data into a program on one while looking at the data on the other is an immense time saver.  I cannot imagine how it would be with dual 21" (or larger) monitors.

I would think what you would want for dual monitors would be based on the need factor?

cap'n grunge said:
I went with the single monitor because I couldn't find any dual monitors that weren't the wide screen with very short height. I thought about two of those but really didn't like the height.
I turn one monitor to portrait mode for email to give it height. 

When we upgrade our workstations fairly soon I'm going to three monitors for sure. Many people who are doing very intensive computer work like CAD have four monitors now. Two is absolutely necessary imo and an unbelievable game-changer. Three will be awesome. 

PlayaHata said:
Agree as well, although I think the sweet spot for pricing is probably more like a 23-24".  I'm partial to ASUS personally, so something like two of these would fit the bill.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236174
I sit in front of 2 23" monitors. They were purchased refurbished for under $100 each. One from NewEgg and one from Acer's Ebay store. One's an IPS screen, which is reflective but better for watching video. The other is a tn screen, matte non reflective and better for reading. I stumbled onto this approach, but I love it. I've had them over a year and no issues with the refurb thing. The one from Acer seemed new in the box. Anyway, 2 23s, best bang for buck and pretty sweet all around performance at budget pricing.

Just received my 3900. One nice touch was receiving an email with a link to the latest drivers with the suggestion to download ahead of time so that when the unit arrived I would be all ready to plug-n-play. Sure,I could have done this on my own, but I wouldn't have thought of it.

Users who are viewing this thread