Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Dairy screws me up bad. I can go 2-3 days without a trip to the throne (typical on this diet BTW) but as soon as I eat a meal with heavy cheese. Things go kablooey

Just now, John Bender said:

Dairy screws me up bad. I can go 2-3 days without a trip to the throne (typical on this diet BTW) but as soon as I eat a meal with heavy cheese. Things go kablooey

im the opposite

• Like 1

I had an experience with a glass of milk a few months back and haven't touched it since. Some blood streaked gelatinous bright yellow membrane looking thing somehow got through the homogenization and into my glass. It poured out like a clump of snot. No mas. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chaos Commish said:

I had an experience with a glass of milk a few months back and haven't touched it since. Some blood streaked gelatinous bright yellow membrane looking thing somehow got through the homogenization and into my glass. It poured out like a clump of snot. No mas. 

Hey, thanks.

• Like 3

I posted this in the Pre-Diabetes thread but I'll give a condensed version here. I was diagnosed with diabetes last August.  Since then, my A1C has gone from 11.7 to 5.1 (non diabetic).  My weight has gone from 250 to 190.  My overall cholesterol has gone from 362 to 220, my HDL (bad cholesterol) has gone from 42 to 32 and my LDL (good cholesterol) has gone from 106 to 158.  Now I've been very militant with the Keto lifestyle - no cheat days, not even a cheat meal and I'm sure I'll find some areas to get more lax (i.e. allowing trace amount of maltodextrin, etc), but wanted to give some encouragement to those who are considering the diet lifestyle. It just works.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, rascal said:

Anybody got a post with recipes?

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/756652-keto-ii/?do=findComment&comment=20879932

all my recipes got nested into the spoiler tags, just unlock the first one and everything I've tested/created or tried is there.  I'm typing up my lasagna recipe now

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Bender said:

I posted this in the Pre-Diabetes thread but I'll give a condensed version here. I was diagnosed with diabetes last August.  Since then, my A1C has gone from 11.7 to 5.1 (non diabetic).  My weight has gone from 250 to 190.  My overall cholesterol has gone from 362 to 220, my HDL (bad cholesterol) has gone from 42 to 32 and my LDL (good cholesterol) has gone from 106 to 158.  Now I've been very militant with the Keto lifestyle - no cheat days, not even a cheat meal and I'm sure I'll find some areas to get more lax (i.e. allowing trace amount of maltodextrin, etc), but wanted to give some encouragement to those who are considering the diet lifestyle. It just works.  

Awesome. I was diagnosed many years ago when pushing 3 bills. I lost 100 pounds almost all of it keto style at the start of the whole paleo thing. I fluctuate with the seasons between 195 and 215 but I am off prescription meds. I use Berberine instead of Metformin. My GP considers me diabetic because of the decade old diagnosis and what would happen if I ate carbs like most do. But my endo says I'm cured, the little valves on my pancreas do what they're supposed to and my insulin sensitivity is high. My fasted glucose is always between 90-100 (where I was pushing 200 years ago) and my A1C has been under the 5.7 threshold for years. I've linked to him before, but again Dr. Fung is my guy. Fasting is his deal.

I have developed a helluva list of eliminated foods and as oppressive as it sounds to those without our issues, I really enjoy the way I have been eating lately probably because I feel so good. No grains, almost no fruit, no refined sugars, no milk, no beans, no pork, no asparagus, and no alcohol. Since recommitting recently it has been easier than I can remember. I did backslide through the holidays, but the current regimen feels permanent. We'll see, but something has changed about the way I say no to things I need to say no to. There's no consideration or hesitation. I feel too good.

Great job man.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, John Bender said:

Hi John, Congrats on the great progress. Just wanted to mention the cholesterol thing though. I just got hit with a fairly high level, probably genitics. LDL is the bad type and it should be under 130. HDL is the good and should be above 41. I'm hoping you just had a typo, but if you didn't wanted to give you a heads-up.

• Like 1

3 pounds in 4 days is not acceptable - when is the BIG weight coming off?!#?!

j/k 20 to go

1 hour ago, steelerfan1 said:

Hi John, Congrats on the great progress. Just wanted to mention the cholesterol thing though. I just got hit with a fairly high level, probably genitics. LDL is the bad type and it should be under 130. HDL is the good and should be above 41. I'm hoping you just had a typo, but if you didn't wanted to give you a heads-up.

I definitely transposed those values.  I'm not so good at reading these lab results, but they upload them to a patient portal for us to view and I definitely got them backwards.

I appreciate the clarification for sure.  Thanks!

Congrats on your progress JB.  Pretty amazing.  How far are you from your goal weight?  what's your current body fat percentage?

10lbs a month for 6 months is killer.  Hell, I'd love to replicate that for 2 months...  JB the inspiration...

55 minutes ago, belljr said:

3 pounds in 4 days is not acceptable - when is the BIG weight coming off?!#?!

j/k 20 to go

Need to go on the Naked and Afraid diet. Some dude on the last episode lost 44lbs in 15 days. :shock: 

Of course, he ended up getting medically evacuated and almost died, so there's that.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2018 at 10:44 AM, Tecumseh said:

We have a spring break trip coming up next week, so I am going to eat some pizza and mexican and whatnot for a couple days. Ideally, since I should be fully fat adapted at almost 2 months in, I won't have much issue dropping whatever I pick up.

My daughter and I also started training for a 10k. I think that will be a far different challenge, out there trying to run with no glycogen stores.

So we just got back from our mini-vacation. When we left Saturday morning, I weighed 230.4lbs. While away, I ate whatever I wanted. We had mexican one night, with tortilla chips galore, chicken and dumplings, desserts, bagels, english muffins, french fries, and whatever else. This morning I definitely noticed that my face was more puffy looking. When we got home, first thing I did was step on the scale. I was thinking 234.5-235. Try 238.8. Holy crap! I'm not upset or anything because I know it's all water, but my god...

FWIW, the only thing that I really enjoyed reuniting with was the Mexican food, especially the chips and salsa. The other crap I can comfortably leave behind.

I always make this mistake.  I eat to much cheese.  I need to tone down the cheese.  

Chicken crust pizza with pepperoni last night. :pickle:

13 hours ago, Tecumseh said:

So we just got back from our mini-vacation. When we left Saturday morning, I weighed 230.4lbs. While away, I ate whatever I wanted. We had mexican one night, with tortilla chips galore, chicken and dumplings, desserts, bagels, english muffins, french fries, and whatever else. This morning I definitely noticed that my face was more puffy looking. When we got home, first thing I did was step on the scale. I was thinking 234.5-235. Try 238.8. Holy crap! I'm not upset or anything because I know it's all water, but my god...

FWIW, the only thing that I really enjoyed reuniting with was the Mexican food, especially the chips and salsa. The other crap I can comfortably leave behind.

Yikes. Is there any recommended method for weaning yourself off this diet?

Edited by E-Z Glider

16 minutes ago, E-Z Glider said:

Yikes. Is there any recommended method for weaning yourself off this diet?

I think if you revert to eating full carbs you just need to plan to carry around extra water weight. I'll defer to others for confirmation, but I believe that once you reach your goal weight you would ideally try to stay between 50-100g of carbs anyway to prevent gaining all of the weight back, and this would also help prevent storing all the water weight as well.

On 4/4/2018 at 0:14 PM, Tecumseh said:

I think if you revert to eating full carbs you just need to plan to carry around extra water weight. I'll defer to others for confirmation, but I believe that once you reach your goal weight you would ideally try to stay between 50-100g of carbs anyway to prevent gaining all of the weight back, and this would also help prevent storing all the water weight as well.

This. You can also try IF type plans.  Those are often maintenance for keto.

On 4/4/2018 at 0:14 PM, Tecumseh said:

Keeping under 100g of carbs a day doesn't seem too restricting now that I know more about watching out for them. I was always pretty low-carb anyway as far as bread/pasta/processed foods go, but I think making a few changes, like switching from PBR (13g) to Miller LIte (3g) could make a big difference for me moving forward.

I'm planning to pick up some Smirnoff Spiked Seltzer today. Only 1g per can. Super pumped! :thumbup:  Even though Im pretty sure it will suck. 

On 4/3/2018 at 10:05 PM, Tecumseh said:

Back down to 231. Been peeing like a racehorse, and just gave it all back.

I've always got into ketosis fast by fasting then near zero carb. It just takes a couple three days. I've read a bit about just cutting carbs below 50g and maybe taking three weeks to transition to ketosis. So I've been doing that now for almost two months and if I'm ketogenic, I'm not noticing it. I'm down about 10 pounds. I feel like I've been overeating, so maybe? Pee strips? Bah. I'm fasting this weekend. 

• Like 1

Sushi with cauliflower as rice and cream cheese to bind it.  Rolled in Nori with garlic shrimp, avocado, and cucumber.  And instead of wasabi, Sriracha mayo ❤

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, desert rose said:

Sushi with cauliflower as rice and cream cheese to bind it.  Rolled in Nori with garlic shrimp, avocado, and cucumber.  And instead of wasabi, Sriracha mayo ❤

Hell yeah. Last year in one of these threads I wrote about a sushi chef friend doing rolls this way for me and tonight I ordered take out from a local place that does the same. Losing rice is only a big deal if it means losing sushi. Wasabi!!

Thanks for the recipes, but I'm still struggling to get started.  Wife and I both work and with three kids finding something everyone likes that is simple/quick is proving difficult.

Oh, and I assume no whiskey/scotch?  That is going to suck.

11 minutes ago, rascal said:

Oh, and I assume no whiskey/scotch?  That is going to suck.

Haha, no, there's no carbs in hard liquor. Drink up! You can't have beer but you can have a shot whenever. 

The only twists: once you're in ketosis, liquor will hit you much quicker. Your tolerance will go way down and you'll be buzzing faster. Second, your body will burn booze before fat, so, you won't lose weight while you're drinking. But you won't throw off your ketosis either. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

Haha, no, there's no carbs in hard liquor. Drink up! You can't have beer but you can have a shot whenever. 

The only twists: once you're in ketosis, liquor will hit you much quicker. Your tolerance will go way down and you'll be buzzing faster. Second, your body will burn booze before fat, so, you won't lose weight while you're drinking. But you won't throw off your ketosis either. 

You had me at no.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, rascal said:

Thanks for the recipes, but I'm still struggling to get started.  Wife and I both work and with three kids finding something everyone likes that is simple/quick is proving difficult.

No doubt food preparation is a major challenge. Keto-lifestyle is not convenient. Combine that with the likelihood of flu like symptoms while realizing you can't use the aisles at the market or the drive-thrus like you're used to and this isn't easy. I had to divorce myself from my family's eating habits back when the house was full. I'm such a broken record but fasting to jump start ketosis is helpful for a planning stage for stocking a keto food supply and eating plan. I doubt putting kids on an adult weight loss oriented keto regimen is wise. They're going to cheat and the combo of keto foods and standard snack carbs is probably less healthy than the standard American junk diet they're accustomed to. All that fat on a keto diet is fine if you're in ketosis or calorie restricted, not so much otherwise. Anyway, good luck.

32 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

And hangovers are far worse imo.

• Like 2

Hit the 20lb mark today. Started on Feb. 8th at 249, sitting at 229.2 today. 

Edited by Tecumseh
  • Like 7

Lost 2 more lbs this week. :D  3 weeks in, 1 to go. My wife told me she noticed a difference, but she's paid to say that. Pants are feeling a bit looser though. :thumbup:  

3/19 - 185lbs

3/26 - 182lbs

4/2   - 179lbs

4/9  - 177lbs

Tried a few of those Truly alcoholic drinks this weekend. 2g carbs each. Not great, but not horrible either (better than bourbon and seltzer, ack :X). I think I just like the act of cracking open a can and drinking from it. :banned:

On 4/7/2018 at 0:57 PM, rascal said:

Rather than trying a bunch of different recipes to get started, I think its easier to find a handful of go-to low/zero carb snacks/meals that you really like and sticking to them until you figure things out. One of the really successful guys here (Craig in Miami, I think?) said he basically ate the same 3 things for months. 

eta - I wouldnt bother trying to get your kids on this diet. That doesnt seem realistic unless they REALLY want to do it.

Edited by E-Z Glider

20 minutes ago, E-Z Glider said:

Rather than trying a bunch of different recipes to get started, I think its easier to find a handful of go-to low/zero carb snacks/meals that you really like and sticking to them until you figure things out. One of the really successful guys here (Craig in Miami, I think?) said he basically ate the same 3 things for months. 

eta - I wouldnt bother trying to get your kids on this diet. That doesnt seem realistic unless they REALLY want to do it.

Agree with this on both counts.  My wife first was trying four different recipes a week.  Most were hits, but some were misses.  I'd have a bad meal, and think "why aren't we having that great thing we just had last week?" But she has an issue of organization and has a million items on her list of what to make/try and doesn't organize it well.  I'd rather try one new thing a week and the rest be stuff I know I like, even it if is repetitive.

Also agree not to have the kids do this.  My kids have no issues with weight, and need to gain more actually.  I don't want to limit what they are eating (they will eat less if they don't like something) so for them it is worth the effort of making two sides, or whatever, to make sure they eat.  I also don't like the idea of getting kids stared with issues with food at an early stage.

Sorry for the confusion, I'm not trying to get my kids on the diet. It just wanted some ideas that would reduce the number of meals being prepared.

I do like the idea of finding some core recipes.  Started Saturday and I feel awful.  Having some cravings right now for anything sweet.  Need to get some low carb snacks

Weight stall is stoopid  that is all

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, rascal said:

Sorry for the confusion, I'm not trying to get my kids on the diet. It just wanted some ideas that would reduce the number of meals being prepared.

I do like the idea of finding some core recipes.  Started Saturday and I feel awful.  Having some cravings right now for anything sweet.  Need to get some low carb snacks

For a sweet snack, I've been sweetening greek yogurt with stevia and vanilla extract then loading it with pecans or walnuts. It's an ice cream substitute that also satisfies the crunch urge. For salty I've been having cheeses with salted roasted seeds, sunflower and pumpkin, though nuts would work to. Cashews, peanuts and pistachios are higher in carbs. Macadamias are low but expensive. 

Atkins bars are convenient and work in a pinch. If you eat a few at a time they can cause gas and poo problems for some, but slowly eating one is a good fix.

206 this morning. 7 or more to go then calorie restricted maintenance because I will restore glycogen. I had less than 200 calories all weeekend. Ketosis achieved. 

Started in on this today and I think I am going to show some success.  I've tried to start things in the past and the day I plan to start, I always wake up and think "damn it"

Today I woke up and my first thought was "I can do this", so hopefully that's a good sign.

Starting at 257.  Goal is to get down to 200 and maintain there.  Finding inspiration from people in here should help.  Thanks to all who shared their successes and pitfalls.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Started in on this today and I think I am going to show some success.  I've tried to start things in the past and the day I plan to start, I always wake up and think "damn it"

Today I woke up and my first thought was "I can do this", so hopefully that's a good sign.

Starting at 257.  Goal is to get down to 200 and maintain there.  Finding inspiration from people in here should help.  Thanks to all who shared their successes and pitfalls.

Good luck. This diet/lifestyle launches like no other. A big water drop that sheds pounds very fast. Awesome. Possible flu-like illness. Sucks. Cravings for carby foods like you're kicking drugs. Big challenge.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chaos Commish said:

Good luck. This diet/lifestyle launches like no other. A big water drop that sheds pounds very fast. Awesome. Possible flu-like illness. Sucks. Cravings for carby foods like you're kicking drugs. Big challenge.

Yeah.  Day 2 and 3 have been my major pitfalls in the past (atkins or south beach type) so WHEN I get through those, I hope to see improvement from there.  I was reading the Keto writeup from page one (Keerock?)  Says one way to combat the keto flu is to drink broth.  I just happen to work in a manufacturing plant where one of our products is broth, both beef and chicken, so that's the good news.  The bad news is I have to remember to bring a can opener to work tomorrow.  Do vitamins or supplements help?  Any good ones?

The cravings are my hardest part.  There is no denying that I am an addict, and my drug of choice is sugar.  I have read through this entire thread and I know there was someone in here who fessed up to the same.  Talked about eating ridiculous amounts of sugar and sweets.  I have bought a box of Klondyke bars (that's six in a box) and eaten them all in the same day.  I wish I could say that was the only sugar and sweets I had that day, but that would be a lie.  Its a neverending cycle of eating more and more sugar and I need to put a stop to that before I end up 3 bills.  Cut that piece of cake just a little bigger each time.  Have just one more cookie.  Even my vegetable choices were the wrong choice.  Carrots, corn, and peas were the staple of my dinners. 

Well, you all get the point.  I knew I was an addict when I started lying about how much sugar I had eaten, or finding a private place to eat sweets so that people wouldn't see just how much junk I was eating.  "hey, look at the fat guy chowing down on 3 candy bars... no wonder he's fat"  I guess I was ok with being fat as long as other people didn't see why(like it was a real mystery).  I don't want to see the pig get killed, I just want the bacon. 

Black coffee for breakfast, Salmon and broccoli for lunch, almonds for snack, costco chicken leg quarters and celery for dinner, some costco parm snacks for snack later if I need them.  Still a pretty big calorie deficit according to Myfitnesspal, but I'm not sure how much to trust those inputted foods yet, but I pretty much hit my carb and protein goal, so there's that.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Black coffee for breakfast, Salmon and broccoli for lunch, almonds for snack, costco chicken leg quarters and celery for dinner, some costco parm snacks for snack later if I need them.  

Honestly, you're going to want to integrate more fat, which should be good news. Remember it's high fat, moderate protein, low carb. Unless you left some stuff out, you're probably not getting enough fat from the salmon, almonds and parm crisps. 

You could make your coffee bulletproof., or try adding some cheese to the broccoli. The fat will help keep you satisfied, and you can still meet your calorie goals.

• Like 2

Two eggs for breakfast and coffee

KFC three piece grilled chicken with green beans and coleslaw for lunch

Rotisserie chicken and pomegranate salad for dinner

I'm going to need a late snack.

And Tylenol as I feel like crap.

Edited by rascal

Coffee w heavy cream

lettuce cheese burger shake shack

chicken broccoli cheddar cream casserole

cheese stick

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rascal said:

I cook them pasta and steam a bag of veggies for me. We share the sauce.  Cauliflower Alfredo is yummy. 

14 hours ago, Tecumseh said:

Honestly, you're going to want to integrate more fat, which should be good news. Remember it's high fat, moderate protein, low carb. Unless you left some stuff out, you're probably not getting enough fat from the salmon, almonds and parm crisps. 

You could make your coffee bulletproof., or try adding some cheese to the broccoli. The fat will help keep you satisfied, and you can still meet your calorie goals.

:goodposting: This is hard to get used to. It goes against everything I've ever believed, but you can, and should, indulge in the fats.

14 hours ago, Caesar said:

There is no denying that I am an addict, and my drug of choice is sugar. 

The good news is that you will likely see dramatic results simply by cutting sugar from your diet. The bad news is that it will be hard AF. Find a carb-friendly sweet snack that you like and can easily count. I keep a stash of chocolate chip cookie dough fat bombs. At 2g each, you could have one after lunch and dinner. They're very indulgent. I also find a glass of unsweetened vanilla almond milk tastes good when other low-carb options dont. Good luck. Stick to it. The first week is the hardest.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Caesar said:

Yeah.  Day 2 and 3 have been my major pitfalls in the past (atkins or south beach type) so WHEN I get through those, I hope to see improvement from there.  I was reading the Keto writeup from page one (Keerock?)  Says one way to combat the keto flu is to drink broth.  I just happen to work in a manufacturing plant where one of our products is broth, both beef and chicken, so that's the good news.  The bad news is I have to remember to bring a can opener to work tomorrow.  Do vitamins or supplements help?  Any good ones?

The cravings are my hardest part.  There is no denying that I am an addict, and my drug of choice is sugar.  I have read through this entire thread and I know there was someone in here who fessed up to the same.  Talked about eating ridiculous amounts of sugar and sweets.  I have bought a box of Klondyke bars (that's six in a box) and eaten them all in the same day.  I wish I could say that was the only sugar and sweets I had that day, but that would be a lie.  Its a neverending cycle of eating more and more sugar and I need to put a stop to that before I end up 3 bills.  Cut that piece of cake just a little bigger each time.  Have just one more cookie.  Even my vegetable choices were the wrong choice.  Carrots, corn, and peas were the staple of my dinners. 

Well, you all get the point.  I knew I was an addict when I started lying about how much sugar I had eaten, or finding a private place to eat sweets so that people wouldn't see just how much junk I was eating.  "hey, look at the fat guy chowing down on 3 candy bars... no wonder he's fat"  I guess I was ok with being fat as long as other people didn't see why(like it was a real mystery).  I don't want to see the pig get killed, I just want the bacon. 

Black coffee for breakfast, Salmon and broccoli for lunch, almonds for snack, costco chicken leg quarters and celery for dinner, some costco parm snacks for snack later if I need them.  Still a pretty big calorie deficit according to Myfitnesspal, but I'm not sure how much to trust those inputted foods yet, but I pretty much hit my carb and protein goal, so there's that.

tbh, you may just need to slow play the keto thing.  If you were truly eating all that much sugar going strict keto will have a much more difficult on-ramp period and you may find that doing something like 30 days of basically no added sugar and just eat normally will work for you.

There's enough anecdotal evidence out there to suggest that the difficulty people find in going keto is a function of both total carbs and High-GI carbs as a portion of their previous diet.  And honestly, I wouldn't doubt muscle mass plays a role here.  

• Like 1