What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Did you know? Mom? Dad? (1 Viewer)

eoMMan

Footballguy
Go #### yourself, Merck.

Yeah, let's guilt trip these parents in to getting your hpv vaccination. 

As a pediatrician who recommends and educates about this vaccine daily to parents that then decline it, I think this is a great campaign. Many parents "did know" because their kids' doctors informed them and they refused the immunization anyway.  

I go into great detail about the potential preventable diseases with parents that decline immunizations almost every day--decisions made based on nothing scientific. 

This is another life saving vaccine that parents are refusing, in denial that their child may one day be exposed to this cancer-causing virus. Luckily, this immunization series can be started as late as 26 years of age---hopefully these young adults will advocate for their own health and well-being once they're free of their parents' biases. 

As a pediatrician who recommends and educates about this vaccine daily to parents that then decline it, I think this is a great campaign. Many parents "did know" because their kids' doctors informed them and they refused the immunization anyway.  

I go into great detail about the potential preventable diseases with parents that decline immunizations almost every day--decisions made based on nothing scientific. 

This is another life saving vaccine that parents are refusing, in denial that their child may one day be exposed to this cancer-causing virus. Luckily, this immunization series can be started as late as 26 years of age---hopefully these young adults will advocate for their own health and well-being once they're free of their parents' biases. 
Do they refuse due to side affects of the vaccination (are there any side affects?)

Do they refuse due to side affects of the vaccination (are there any side affects?)
With this particular vaccine that protects against a sexually transmitted virus, parents of 12 year olds who refuse it don't think their child is at risk so they defer. Unfortunately, once kids reach their teen years, we see them far less often and miss out on opportunities to update their vaccines. This vaccine is protective for many years and is actually more effective if given at a younger age. 

As for side effects, this vaccine, like all standard immunizations, is usually well tolerated with minimal to no sequelae. Is it risk-free?  No. But forgoing it is far riskier. 

Clearly, I'm not arguing the effectiveness or the need to get the vaccine (which could be open to debate in another thread)...I'm pointing out the way the message is delivered.

Parenting is tough.  Trying to guilt trip parents to get their child vaccinated is despicable. 

Clearly, I'm not arguing the effectiveness or the need to get the vaccine (which could be open to debate in another thread)...I'm pointing out the way the message is delivered.

Parenting is tough.  Trying to guilt trip parents to get their child vaccinated is despicable
Why?  If the vaccines are ultimately what's best for the kids and the parents are just being stupid, what's wrong with guilt tripping them?  You're anti-Vac aren't you?

Maybe this is location dependent, but leading up to and after my kid was born, our pediatrician gave us all the info..."this is the schedule, this is what they're for, these are the 'side effects', these are the very rare risks, this is why the schedule is what it is. If you're not comfortable with that schedule, here's a modified schedule you can choose to follow, etc."

It seems like the vast majority of people who have problems with that get their info from much less credible sources. So yeah, if they consciously choose to follow a random blogger over the AMA, some guilt tripping seems perfectly appropriate.

Why?  If the vaccines are ultimately what's best for the kids and the parents are just being stupid, what's wrong with guilt tripping them?  You're anti-Vac aren't you?
No, I am not anti-vac. 

Once again, I think the message was delivered poorly...nothing to do with people getting or not getting the hpv vaccination. 

I was just reading that the same marketing company behind this commercial has a new one in the works to educate parents about teen pregnancy and STDs...

It starts off with "Is your daughter banging the whole football team? Varsity, JV, AND freshman? Talk to her now about safe sex before it's too late. That little slut needs to know"

I think it's a bit much but maybe like you say, if the end result is what's best, maybe it's okay? I'll look for the link.

No, I am not anti-vac. 

Once again, I think the message was delivered poorly...nothing to do with people getting or not getting the hpv vaccination. 
I agree with you.  The message is fine, the delivery was bull####.

@The Dreaded Marco is this vax a live vax? 

My daughter is 11 and has had Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis since the age of 3. B/c of the medications she is on (Embril) she cannot have most vax due to a lowered immune system. Is this one that would be an issue for her? 

Last edited by a moderator:
@The Dreaded Marco is this vax a live vax? 

My daughter is 11 and has had Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis since the age of 3. B/c of the medications she is on (Embril) she cannot have most vax due to a lowered immune system. Is this one that would be an issue for her? 
This is not a live virus vaccine. It is inactivated. 

As for your daughter, I recommend you consult her physician, but I suspect she can safely receive Gardasil. It may not be as effective if she is immunosuppressed. 

I'm all for guilt tripping dumb-### parents who dont vaccinate their child.  I'm also in favor of considering it child endangerment which I know is extreme.

I think these ads unnecessarily spread fear and misinformation about hpv. 

There are over a hundred strains.There are like two of those strains that cause an increase in cancer risk... And the increase is something like 'you'll go from having a 1% chance of getting cervical cancer to having a 2% chance.' 

The vaccine, iirc, doesn't do anything about the other hundred strains, which are incredibly common, and cause  no problems, and are naturally defeated by the body in short time. But these ads don't give any real information about a group of viruses that pretty much everyone sexually active with new partners past age of 30 will encounter. Something like half of people get at least one strain by 30, and near 90 percent by 50... Basically, everyone who isn't a virgin that marries a virgin will get at least one strain of the hundred hpvs.

But these ads scream 'HPV=Cancer' and I don't think that's a good message to send out. 

I also know lots of people get confused by these ads, and don't know that the vaccination can be given at any age, including adulthood, without issue. Some think that if they didn't get it at 12, they're screwed and sex is playing with a loaded gun, when they can still get vaccinated at 30 or 40.
Everything in this post except for the bolded is inaccurate. Please do more research before espousing potentially dangerous misinformation. 

Strong Christian here. I have a 13 year old and am doing my best to teach her to wait. HOWEVER I did get her vaccinated for this because I realize that she is her own person who will ultimately make her own decisions, good or bad.  Parents who don't do this are irresponsible IMO. We do our best to instill our values but ultimately it's their body/choice regardless of my wishes.  

At my 12-year old son's physical a month or so ago, they asked if we wanted the vaccine.  I honestly hadn't heard of it, and hadn't done any research or had any info on it so I declined it for now.  The doctor seemed like it was no big deal, and both he and the nurse just said we will probably get asked at every appointment, so no need to rush it.

Take your time, research reputable sources, and do what's best for your child. Seems pretty easy to me :shrug:

Pro tip for all you weirdos....listen to your doctor.  They are smart and know stuff.

At my 12-year old son's physical a month or so ago, they asked if we wanted the vaccine.  I honestly hadn't heard of it, and hadn't done any research or had any info on it so I declined it for now.  The doctor seemed like it was no big deal, and both he and the nurse just said we will probably get asked at every appointment, so no need to rush it.

Take your time, research reputable sources, and do what's best for your child. Seems pretty easy to me :shrug:
It's no big deal until your son or daughter gets an HPV-related cancer.

It's no big deal until your son or daughter gets an HPV-related cancer.
He's 12.  If he's as awkward around girls as I was growing up, he's got many more years before he needs to be overly concerned. I don't think waiting 6 mos to a year for the vaccine is going to be signing his death warrant.   

We are by no means anti-vaccine, but I do like to educate myself before I have them shoot my kid up. 

When the vaccine site says there are 80 million infected right now with hpv are they talking about only the 4 strains the vaccine works against or does that 80 million include the strains that cause common warts? 

When the vaccine site says there are 80 million infected right now with hpv are they talking about only the 4 strains the vaccine works against or does that 80 million include the strains that cause common warts? 
Gardasil protects against strains 16 & 18 which cause 70% of cervical cancers. It also protects against strains 6 & 11 which cause 90% of common genital warts.

The vaccine actually covers 9 strains----the 9 strains that predispose to 90% of genitourinary cancers and anogenital warts. 

And whether they're common or not, or predispose to cancer or not, I suspect most people would prefer to not have anogenital warts.

Gardasil protects against strains 16 & 18 which cause 70% of cervical cancers. It also protects against strains 6 & 11 which cause 90% of common genital warts.
that isnt what i asked.

Let me rephrase, how many of the 80 million with HPV could the vaccine have prevented from being infected?

He's 12.  If he's as awkward around girls as I was growing up, he's got many more years before he needs to be overly concerned. I don't think waiting 6 mos to a year for the vaccine is going to be signing his death warrant.   

We are by no means anti-vaccine, but I do like to educate myself before I have them shoot my kid up. 
By all means, educate yourself. But I would disagree with anyone that says it's "no big deal"... particularly my doctor. Like I said, it's no big deal until it's a big deal. And if you have the means to avoid a big deal, not sure why you would risk not doing it.

parasaurolophus said:
Is that a real answer? Could i have a link to the data? 
Clearly you're trying to make a point. You wanna just come out and say it?

According to the national cancer institute...

HPV vaccines are highly effective in preventing infection with the types of HPV they target when given before initial exposure to the virus—which means before individuals begin to engage in sexual activity. In the trials that led to approval of Gardasil and Cervarix, these vaccines were found to provide nearly 100% protection against persistent cervical infections with HPV types 16 and 18 and the cervical cell changes that these persistent infections can cause. Gardasil 9 is as effective as Gardasil for the prevention of diseases caused by the four shared HPV types (6, 11, 16, and 18), based on similar antibody responses in participants in clinical studies. The trials that led to approval of Gardasil 9 found it to be 97% effective in preventing cervical, vulvar, and ######l disease caused by the five additional HPV types (31, 33, 45, 52, and 58) that it targets (19).

Before you guys jump down my throat, my son is vaccinated and my posting history will back up i am very pro vaccine. I am on your team here. 

I think the problem with this vaccine is that there is data thrown out there that is very confusing. There are 100 strains. There are nearly 80 million people with hpv. The vaccine only covers a small amount of strains. They talk about hpv as if it is exclusively an std, yet on some of those same pages it will list plantars warts and common warts(stanford, fda, webmd). Little kids get common warts. 60 of the strains are not sexually transmitted, but are included in the 79 million figure.  It is like they are trying to give people an excuse to not do this by thinking the numbers are inflated.

How many cases of measles are there each year? Like zero, but people dont hesitate to get those vaccines. This has thousands of preventable cases of cancer each year, yet like only 1 in 7 kids get it. 

Before you guys jump down my throat, my son is vaccinated and my posting history will back up i am very pro vaccine. I am on your team here. 

I think the problem with this vaccine is that there is data thrown out there that is very confusing. There are 100 strains. There are nearly 80 million people with hpv. The vaccine only covers a small amount of strains. They talk about hpv as if it is exclusively an std, yet on some of those same pages it will list plantars warts and common warts(stanford, fda, webmd). Little kids get common warts. 60 of the strains are not sexually transmitted, but are included in the 79 million figure.  It is like they are trying to give people an excuse to not do this by thinking the numbers are inflated.

How many cases of measles are there each year? Like zero, but people dont hesitate to get those vaccines. This has thousands of preventable cases of cancer each year, yet like only 1 in 7 kids get it. 
Measles is still one of the leading causes of death in children worldwide.  Even with that being the case--the number of measles deaths dropped down by 79% since 2000 due to vaccination.  If you are trying to use measles as evidence against vaccination--your argument is sadly misguided and mistaken.  The measles vaccine has been a resounding success overall. Sure there are outliers and blips here and there--but for the most part--that vaccine has been highly successful. 

Strong Christian here. I have a 13 year old and am doing my best to teach her to wait. HOWEVER I did get her vaccinated for this because I realize that she is her own person who will ultimately make her own decisions, good or bad.  Parents who don't do this are irresponsible IMO. We do our best to instill our values but ultimately it's their body/choice regardless of my wishes.  
Good for you.  Protecting your child shows her how much you respect her.  That shows her she should respect herself.  Excellent.

Measles is still one of the leading causes of death in children worldwide.  Even with that being the case--the number of measles deaths dropped down by 79% since 2000 due to vaccination.  If you are trying to use measles as evidence against vaccination--your argument is sadly misguided and mistaken.  The measles vaccine has been a resounding success overall. Sure there are outliers and blips here and there--but for the most part--that vaccine has been highly successful. 
Not sure how you came up with this assumption after reading my post.

I was not saying people should not get the measles vaccine. Good god, if I have to read one more facebook post about freaking mercury in these things I will lose my mind. I was making a point that measles is pretty much eradicated(in the US). I bet tons of people don't even know somebody that has ever had measles. It is a disease that you are unlikely to be exposed to. People still without hesitation get this vaccine, AS THEY SHOULD. Whats different? The information is clear, concise, and long proven. 

Most people probably know somebody that has had an HPV related cancer. Yet most people do NOT get this vaccine(i think only 40% of girls and 22% of boys get the full dosage) and might not know that the cancer was an HPV related cancer.

I am trying to have a discussion about why I think people are ignoring this vaccine. Not saying kids shouldnt get it. I think they SHOULD GET THIS VACCINE. I 100% support it. Just so I can make that clear since people are enjoying jumping to conclusions here. 

One thing I wanted to know was why do kids have to wait until they are 11-12. Does the CDC answer this question? No. They give you the answer they think you want. I want to know why cant my kids get it when they are 8 months old. Why wait until 11? 

Q: Why is HPV vaccine recommended at age 11 or 12 years?

A: For HPV vaccine to be most effective, the series should be given prior to exposure to HPV. There is no reason to wait to vaccinate until teens reach puberty or start having sex. Preteens should receive all recommended doses of the HPV vaccine series long before they begin any type of sexual activity.
 I wanted to know of the 79 million people that have HPV, what % of those infections could be prevented by the vaccine. This is very difficult data to find. I asked that very question in this thread and I think everybody had the same luck I had trying to find it. THIS SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED ME SAYING PEOPLE SHOULDN'T DO THIS BECAUSE THAT DATA IS MISSING.

There are plenty of other questions that I don't think are very easy to obtain answers for. I think that needs to be changed. 

I am trying to have a discussion about why I think people are ignoring this vaccine. Not saying kids shouldnt get it. I think they SHOULD GET THIS VACCINE. I 100% support it. Just so I can make that clear since people are enjoying jumping to conclusions here
Because people are stupid

I wanted to know of the 79 million people that have HPV, what % of those infections could be prevented by the vaccine. This is very difficult data to find. I asked that very question in this thread and I think everybody had the same luck I had trying to find it. THIS SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED ME SAYING PEOPLE SHOULDN'T DO THIS BECAUSE THAT DATA IS MISSING.
Approximately 97-100% of HPV infections that lead to potential cancers and genital warts would be prevented. Why are you struggling to understand this? Those with HPV strains not covered by the vaccines would therefore not be prevented. Do you need an exact number?

Do you believe that there is a certain percentage that would justify not getting the vaccine? Like, if you found out that it only prevented 75% of infections, would that make it worth the risk to you? Or 65%? Or 50%? Do you have a specific number in mind?

It's not missing. It's just irrelevant.

The Dreaded Marco said:
The vaccine actually covers 9 strains----the 9 strains that predispose to 90% of genitourinary cancers and anogenital warts. 

And whether they're common or not, or predispose to cancer or not, I suspect most people would prefer to not have anogenital warts.
Speak for your self, bud.

Users who are viewing this thread