What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PGA Championship 2017 - Quail Hollow (1 Viewer)

Baloney Sandwich

Footballguy
I didn't see a thread for this year's PGA Championship yet so figured I would start one up. I will be working from home on Thur & Fri and plan to watch a ton of the action (details on coverage below). Obviously lots of talk about Rory vs. Jordan giving Rory's previous success on this course and Jordan going for the Grand Slam. Golf rarely works that way though so I doubt it will be the two of them battling for the title. DJ seems to be way under the radar on a course that should suit him very well.

TV Schedule (all times ET): 

Thursday and Friday, 1 p.m. to 7 p.m., TNT. 

Saturday, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., TNT; 2 p.m. to 7 p.m., CBS. 

Sunday, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., TNT; 2 p.m. to 7 p.m., CBS.

Live stream: 

The tournament can be live-streamed at the PGA Championship website

Pretty excited for the final major of the year, hope the weather cooperates.

Watching the Golf channel coverage, pretty cool that they're moving the PGA to May and the Players back to March starting in 2019.

In. I wonder what type of weather we are going to see each day.

Rory seems to be way over hyped this year. He is going to let a lot of people down in DFS if he doesn't come through.

I agree with you that DJ is flying way under the radar this year. I like his chances on this course, but he isn't in the same form as earlier in the year before the back injury.

I'm really high on the bombers. Players like Koepka, Pieters, and Schauffle keep popping out to me.

Pretty excited for the final major of the year, hope the weather cooperates.

Watching the Golf channel coverage, pretty cool that they're moving the PGA to May and the Players back to March starting in 2019.
Yeah, makes it way better in terms of how the schedule flows with a huge tournament every month starting in March.

I just found out my company secured a box for the 16th hole of the Phoenix Waste Management Open for next year. Last year we were on the 17th hole which was cool but this is going to bring it up several notches.

And I'm rooting for Jordan. I had my doubts about him but after that final round at the Open, I'm a believer. Not saying he could ever be anything close to Tiger, but it's exciting to watch the next bona fide American superstar emerge and help turn the page from Tigermania.

I have Sergio to win. But his odds don't justify a bet. 

Here's the bets I will place...

JB Holmes.  80-1.  High ball flight.  Strong enough to get it out of thick bermuda rough.  Greens will be fast which helps him.

Masuyama. 18-1.  While the oddsmakers have him in the top 6, I still think there's value there for a guy that is top 3 in world rankings and has won a lot in the past 12 months.

Alex Noren.  50-1.   Quietly #9 in world rankings.  He'll have to play good becasue he isn't that long, but a decent buy at this price.

Charl Scwartzel.  100-1.  Has some good rounds lately but can't put 4 good rounds together because he hits blocks under pressure.  Just a feeling about him.

Paul Casey  40-1.  I'm a sucker for this guy every major.  His name is always up there and by Sunday he's nowhere to be found.  Probably not a good bet, but I'll be suckered into betting him for like the 16th major in a row.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple bombs I wouldn't mind putting a little cash down on:

James Hahn, 200/1

Andrew Johnston, 250/1 .....Beeeeef!!

alot of people I follow like Fleetwood, not to win by to place top 10-15

Does anyone know is the streaming is free?
The streaming on the PGA championship website is free with a cable/directv subscription.

The PGA Tour Live stream is going to be on a 15 minutes delayed. I guess contractually, for some reason during majors, they can't stream live.

This thing is wide open for the field. I would love to see speith win it for the story line and the history aspect. But if I were a betting man I'd pick the field.  

That's a tough course if they narrow the fairways and roll the greens and let the rough come up. Will be interested to see how they set the course up. If -18 wins it, I don't think speith has a chance, but if-8 does the trick I think he's odds on favorite

This course is going to be fantastic for TV, especially compared to some others recently.

Turned down free Thursday tickets.  Probably will regret that because this may be the only major ever in my home town.  Just too busy and the weather is going to suck.

Might want to take a look at Bill Haas at 125/1 - His dad Jay is a member and he's played well there in the past

Turned down free Thursday tickets.  Probably will regret that because this may be the only major ever in my home town.  Just too busy and the weather is going to suck.
how bad's the weather? 

from what i can see the wind is light (gusts to 15) and rain Friday & Sunday in the afternoon. seems like a soft course will invite some scoring. 

I don't like it that they are doing this at the same stop of a normal PGA tour event.  I thought in general the PGA was moving towards being more like the Open in that regard.  

Did they even play the Wells Fargo this year?  

Yes, I'm way too lazy to google this stuff.  I just wanted to get a high quality get off my lawn post in .

Edit: Fine, yes they did play the WF this year, but somewhere else.  Fine, whatever. Still not happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to the Monday practice round and had a blast.  The course was in phenomenal shaped. We had light rain for part of the day on Monday.  I think there will be some rain every day until Sunday.  When I get home from work I will post a few pics. 

Help me pick my team. 

Here are the rules: 

1. $20 per team. 
2. Teams consist of one player from Pool A and two players each from Pools B, C 
and D. 
3. You must have at least 3 players make the cut to qualify. 
4. The lowest overall scores from your top 3 players count as your total score. 
5. Tie breaker will be closest to the 4-round total of the PGA winner.  
6. If we have at least 10 teams - total prize pool will go to: 1st place - 60%, 
2nd place - 30%, 3rd place - 10%. For under 10 teams - total prize pool will go 
to: 1st place - 65%, 2nd place %35. 
7. All teams are due before play starts on Thursday morning.

Player pool

Pool A
Dustin Johnson 
Hideki Matsuyama 
Jordan Spieth 
Rickie Fowler 
Rory McIlroy 

Pool B
Adam Scott 
Alexander Noren 
Branden Grace 
Brooks Koepka 
Bubba Watson 
Charley Hoffman 
Daniel Berger 
Henrik Stenson 
Jason Day 
JB Holmes 
Jon Rahm 
Justin Rose 
Justin Thomas 
Kevin Chappell 
Kevin Kisner 
Marc Leishman 
Matt Kuchar 
Paul Casey 
Phil Mickelson 
Rafael Cabrera Bello 
Sergio Garcia 
Thomas Pieters 
Tommy Fleetwood 
Tony Finau 
Zach Johnson 

Pool C
Adam Hadwin 
Alexander Levy 
Andy Sullivan 
Bernd Wiesberger 
Bill Haas 
Billy Horschel 
Brandt Snedeker 
Brendan Steele 
Brian Harman 
Bryson DeChambeau 
Bud Cauley 
Byeong Hun An 
Charl Schwartzel 
Charles Howell 
Danny Lee 
David Lingmerth 
Emiliano Grillo 
Francesco Molinari 
Gary Woodland 
Graham DeLaet 
Haotong Li 
Hudson Swafford 
Ian Poulter 
James Hahn 
Jamie Lovemark 
Jason Dufner 
Jhonattan Vegas 
Jimmy Walker 
Keegan Bradley 
Kyle Stanley 
Lee Westwood 
Louis Oosthuizen 
Lucas Glover 
Matthew Fitzpatrick 
Patrick Cantlay 
Patrick Reed 
Patrick Rodgers 
Peter Uihlein 
Ross Fisher 
Russell Henley 
Russell Knox 
Ryan Moore 
Shane Lowry 
Si Woo Kim 
Steve Stricker 
Thorbjorn Olesen 
Tyrrell Hatton 
Webb Simpson 
Xander Schauffele 

Pool D
Adam Rainaud 
Alex Beach 
Andrew Johnston 
Anirban Lahiri 
Brandon Stone 
Brian Smock 
Cameron Smith 
Chez Reavie 
Chris Moody 
Chris Stroud 
Chris Wood 
Cody Gribble 
D. A. Points 
Daniel Summerhays 
Danny Willett 
Dave McNabb 
David Muttitt 
Davis Love III 
Dylan Frittelli 
Ernie Els 
Fabrizio Zanotti 
Graeme McDowell 
Grayson Murray 
Greg Gregory 
Hideto Tanihara 
Jamie Broce 
Jason Kokrak 
Jaysen Hansen 
Jeunghun Wang 
Jim Furyk 
Jim Herman 
John Daly 
Jonas Blixt 
Joost Luiten 
Jordan Smith 
Kelly Kraft 
Kenny Pigman 
Kevin Na 
Kyung-Tae Kim 
Luke Donald 
Luke List 
Mackenzie Hughes 
Martin Laird 
Matt Dobyns 
Mike Small 
Nicolas Colsaerts 
Omar Uresti 
Pablo Larrazabal 
Padraig Harrington 
Pat Perez 
Paul Claxton 
Rich Beem 
Rich Berberian Jr. 
Richard Sterne 
Robert Streb 
Rod Pampling 
Rod Perry 
Ryan Fox 
Ryan Vermeer 
Satoshi Kodaira 
Scott Brown 
Scott Hebert 
Scott Hend 
Sean O'Hair 
Shaun Micheel 
Soren Kjeldsen 
Stuart Deane 
Sung Kang 
Thomas Bjorn 
Thongchai Jaidee 
Vijay Singh 
Wesley Bryan 
William McGirt 
Yong Eun Yang 
Younghan Song 
Yuta Ikeda 

I Haven't looked at any Of It Yet. 

Quint said:
how bad's the weather? 

from what i can see the wind is light (gusts to 15) and rain Friday & Sunday in the afternoon. seems like a soft course will invite some scoring. 
It is extremely humid, so there's going to be a decent chance of rain all weekend.

Favors the longer hitters even more.

I saw the layout and love the changes.  The first two holes on the old layout were good birdie opportunities.  Not anymore.  The 1st hole is going to be brutal.....524 yd par 4. The par 3 2nd hole is gone....  3 becomes the new 2nd hole and 4 becomes the new 3rd hole, so 3 very difficult par 4s to start.

We stood at the landing zone on 1 for a while yesterday - that is going to be one hard opening hole.  Furyk said yesterday he thinks it will,be the hardest opening hole on tour.  During the same interview he commented how long the course is playing with all of the recent rain, and that when Rory won here the longest iron he had to hit into a par 4 was a 7 or 8 - they're all hitting 4, 5 irons with regularity this week.  Flip side is the greeens are more hospitable.  Should make for a fantastic tournament.

Baloney Sandwich said:
Yeah, makes it way better in terms of how the schedule flows with a huge tournament every month starting in March.

I just found out my company secured a box for the 16th hole of the Phoenix Waste Management Open for next year. Last year we were on the 17th hole which was cool but this is going to bring it up several notches.
Ha, so was I. I'll hit you up next year. 

Have the TNT feed going on my PC. The amount of commercials in that first hour was staggering. More than an NFL game.

Koepka money in majors these days.  Love Kisners game, just doesn't feel like he can hang in the end on this monster.

Great points by Chamblee:

1. Fowlers flat swing hurts him in majors with thick rough.

2. Rorys practice commitment may not be there since he's consistently starting slow and going lower from there.

And I'm rooting for Jordan. I had my doubts about him but after that final round at the Open, I'm a believer. Not saying he could ever be anything close to Tiger, but it's exciting to watch the next bona fide American superstar emerge and help turn the page from Tigermania.
Agree 100%. He's the best in the world at a time when there is far better all around talent than when Tiger was dominant. These young bucks are going to take golf to a new level over the next decade, IMO.  Exciting time for golf fans.  

PGA.com really sucks. They force you have their viewer when visiting the leaderboard and probably any other page. Very annoying to only be able to see 3-4 names at once. 

PGA.com really sucks. They force you have their viewer when visiting the leaderboard and probably any other page. Very annoying to only be able to see 3-4 names at once. 
I second that. Their stream is terrible, TNT's stream is terrible. I want PGATour.com stream and leaderboard back, but that is 15 minutes delayed!

Random question. Have a friend in the usga women's am. How do I find out how shes doing. I wouldnt think that would be such an issue. 

Cheyenne knight

On my browser there's an up arrow on the right-hand side next to the link to launch the enhanced player, and if you click that up arrow (not the one in the box, the one that looks like this ^) the live video closes.  But the leaderboard is still a mess because there's banner ads every ten players and some of those banners also have embedded highlights and whatnot. 

Also annoying that there's no ball tracker.  If the PGA Tour can do it for the first round of the Dean and Deluca Invitational they should be able to manage it at a major championship.

Agree 100%. He's the best in the world at a time when there is far better all around talent than when Tiger was dominant. These young bucks are going to take golf to a new level over the next decade, IMO.  Exciting time for golf fans.  
Yep. Personally, I love going into watching a tournament and being able to identify like ten guys that I think could all easily win it. 

Tiger v the field was fun, but I like more parity. 

Fowler brought the A game this week.  I think he's the non-Speith favorite at this point.
Spieth should not be a favorite on this course. Sharks were going with guys like Rory, koepka, Casey, matsuyama, pieters, etc bc of their better length and ball striking. 

On my browser there's an up arrow on the right-hand side next to the link to launch the enhanced player, and if you click that up arrow (not the one in the box, the one that looks like this ^) the live video closes.  But the leaderboard is still a mess because there's banner ads every ten players and some of those banners also have embedded highlights and whatnot. 

Also annoying that there's no ball tracker.  If the PGA Tour can do it for the first round of the Dean and Deluca Invitational they should be able to manage it at a major championship.
Ball tracker on mine 

Users who are viewing this thread