What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why did they get rid of Coke Zero? (1 Viewer)

Because Aspertame(sp?) is absolutely terrible for you. Nobody should be drinking that stuff.
1. I think you're exaggerating just a bit. 

2. The product just had its name and flavor tweaked a bit. It still has aspartame. 

Last edited by a moderator:
No he's not. Look it up.
:lol:

How should I look that up?  What's the specific claim? 

It's the kind of thing that really annoys me about nutritional conversations.  Invariably, certain foods go from having some positive attributes to being called "superfoods" while others that might not be perfect are labelled "absolutely terrible for you."  Some even go straight from one category to the other.  Very rarely based on any real science, but almost always sounding as absolute as possible.

It's the kind of thing that really annoys me about nutritional conversations.  Invariably, certain foods go from having some positive attributes to being called "superfoods" while others that might not be perfect are labelled "absolutely terrible for you."  Some even go straight from one category to the other.  Very rarely based on any real science, but almost always sounding as absolute as possible.
Link may be bad for you

Have you heard of google? Or wikipedia? You should try them out. 

GilbertGrape said:
Just a quick one. http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/07/17/537262142/artificial-sweeteners-dont-help-people-lose-weight-review-finds

The quick nitty gritty (and a personal story):

In short, the artificial replacement of sugar creates a condition in the human body that fails to satisfy the desire for something sweet and in some people actually causes them to ingest more things that are bad for you in attempts to see that need. So a lot of people ingest the artificial stuff and then on top of that still end up cheating with something that has sugar in it.

A few years ago a friend of mine got really sick. Thought she was having female issues but got that ruled out. Had a doctor tell her she didn't have MS but she was having a lot of MS-similar conditions and symptoms. The doc studied her diet and found she was ingesting so much aspartame through soda that it was causing serious problems (this is a woman who exercises regularly and eats very well but doesn't like coffee so she did drink a lot of soda with aspartame in it).

She eliminated the aspartame and immediately got better.  It didn't happen to me so its a 2nd hand account but I believe it based on what I saw.

One more link discussing hazards of aspartame

http://www.mercola.com/Downloads/bonus/aspartame/report.aspx

Just a quick one. http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/07/17/537262142/artificial-sweeteners-dont-help-people-lose-weight-review-finds

In short, the artificial replacement of sugar creates a condition in the human body that fails to satisfy the desire for something sweet and in some people actually causes them to ingest more things that are bad for you in attempts to see that need. So a lot of people ingest the artificial stuff and then on top of that still end up cheating with something that has sugar in it.

A few years ago a friend of mine got really sick. Thought she was having female issues but got that ruled out. Had a doctor tell her she didn't have MS but she was having a lot of MS-similar conditions and symptoms. The doc studied her diet and found she was ingesting so much aspartame through soda that it was causing serious problems (this is a woman who exercises regularly and eats very well but doesn't like coffee so she did drink a lot of soda with aspartame in it).

She eliminated the aspartame and immediately got better.  It didn't happen to me so its a 2nd hand account but I believe it based on what I saw.

Mercola is a nutjob. The first link makes more sense, but then it wouldn't just be aspartame, it would be all artificial sweeteners. 

Mercola is a nutjob. The first link makes more sense, but then it wouldn't just be aspartame, it would be all artificial sweeteners. 
IMO, it is true for all artificial sweeteners. Aspartame was mentioned because it came up in the thread. 

Update: Just tried it. Pretty good. Not as good as regular coke, but much better than coke zero. Actually tastes kind of like regular coke that's gone flat. Overall I'm glad they made the change. 

See, this is actually a pretty good example of how in nutrition, "might not be as good as we liked to hope" somehow gets equated to "absolutely terrible."

The first article brought up some interesting findings that, to me, simply suggest things that should be taken into consideration in how we use it.  Yeah, it probably isn't as simple as the thinking that since it doesn't have calories then it's just like water.  But if you are mindful of the fact that it might increase urges to eat more sweets or give you the idea that you can compensate (probably overcompensate) for the lost calories by eating more and you consciously take that into consideration, then it isn't nearly as bad as the headline makes it sound, either.  In fact, the article suggested just that when it noted, "The available evidence suggests that sweeteners may help with weight loss if they are carefully used as a one-to-one replacement for sugar-sweetened drinks or foods as part of a structured weight-loss program, says Allison Sylvetsky Meni, an assistant professor in the department of exercise and nutrition sciences at George Washington University's Milken Institute School of Public Health." 

What I'd take away from your personal anecdote is that like with most things, it may be possible for individuals to have rare adverse reactions to things they take into their bodies, especially when they overdo it.  That's not reason to suggest it is "absolutely terrible" for everyone.

Regarding your last link, I hope that was just the result of a quick search and you don't put too much credence in that site. Joseph Mercola is an anti-vax quack.

Why did pepsi kill pepsi one is a better question. I swear pepsi already did this exact same thing. they killed pepsi max with zero sugar and made it  pepsi zero sugar

I'm pretty sure artificial sweeteners destroy your gut biome. Hasn't stopped me from drinking a ton of diet Mt dew the last few years though.

Terrible,  If I wanted Diet Pepsi, then I would buy Diet Pepsi.    Flat coke was a good description also. 

Love me some zero.  Always laugh when I see grown adults guzzling pure sugar water like coke or pepsi.  May as well just eat straight Fun Dip.

Always a fan of Coke Zero and I finally tried the Zero Sugar this week.  Have to say I think it tastes better than Coke Zero.  But either is fine with me.  

Love me some zero.  Always laugh when I see grown adults guzzling pure sugar water like coke or pepsi.  May as well just eat straight Fun Dip.
That's true about pop being pure sugar, but it might still be better than consuming an artificial sweetener that is nearly as corrosive as battery acid.  

Or something bad like that I think I read once.

I went as cold turkey as I could on the artificial sweetners, after having averaged a 2-liter of Dr Pepper 10 a day. I also had a tremendous sweet tooth before.

After 6 weeks of that, my allergies happened to hit hard and I took a number of sugar free cough drops which use artificial sweetners. For those two days I had the worst sweets cravings. Magnitudes worse than anything else I'd felt during the 6 weeks without. It was a pretty stark verification for me of how my body reacted to them.

I just want them to bring back New Coke. That stuff was far better than the original. 

And I like Fun Dip. Haters can suck it. 

I went as cold turkey as I could on the artificial sweetners, after having averaged a 2-liter of Dr Pepper 10 a day. I also had a tremendous sweet tooth before.

After 6 weeks of that, my allergies happened to hit hard and I took a number of sugar free cough drops which use artificial sweetners. For those two days I had the worst sweets cravings. Magnitudes worse than anything else I'd felt during the 6 weeks without. It was a pretty stark verification for me of how my body reacted to them.
I'm pretty sure if you drink 2-liters of anything other than water every day it's going to be pretty bad for you.

"Drinking 2 liters of it every day is no bueno" is a far cry from "this stuff is absolutely terrible for you", or whatever the quote was that started this discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
SlaX said:
Probably not.  I won't drink them, though.  I find them disgusting.  
We just gave away ten Diet Cokes out of a 12 pack we bought for the holidays. We used a couple to make drinks, but the rest were just coming up on the use by date, so we tried to find someone that would use them.

Users who are viewing this thread