timschochet

Alabama Voters reject Roy Moore and send Doug Jones to the Senate instead!

6,537 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

how can we get Alabama to secede?

Electing Lincoln should do it.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
6 people like this

16 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

Why would i be offended? I hate Alabama and Moore is one of Sessions' boys. 

Suddenly I understand why Trump endorsed the other guy.

Maybe everybody that's kept up with this thread already knew why.

Edited by PlasmaDogPlasma
1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Electing Lincoln should do it.

In before a rabid gump who backs Moore can say you only want "us" out so you can have a shot at winning a national championship.  

44 minutes ago, Shula-holic said:

You ain't seen nothing yet if you think Jeff Sessions is the standard.  He basically isn't qualified to wash Roy Moore's underwear on the scale of far right.

Oh, Moore doesn't play the game as well.  But Sessions taught him everything Moore knows. 

1 hour ago, Henry Ford said:

Why would i be offended? I hate Alabama and Moore is one of Sessions' boys. 

Sorry, I thought you were from Missamba.

2 hours ago, Shula-holic said:

I live in Birmingham.  I tend to vote Republican on a national basis but this is the most embarrassing day, at least politically, for our state in my lifetime.  We just had a guy who reminds me of a character from Hee Haw win tonight.  I'll vote for Doug Jones in December, but it won't matter here.  I voted for Luther Strange tonight, something I never thought I'd ever do.  I used to work with him, big time D.C. lobbyist and worked lobbying for our company.  Stay tuned for outrageous comments.  For anyone who thinks politicians make ridiculous statements now, let's hold Roy's beer and just sit back.

I also live in Bham.  As for the rest of what you wrote - x2.

1 hour ago, Koya said:

There is a reason I brought up Birmingham... and purposefully said backwards state... not people.

It is. I could not be comfortable my nor others basic civil rights would be protected, and the push for religious intrusion made by the government into personal lives scares the bejeebuz out of me.

My underlying point is state politics absolutely plays a role in where we live, work, invest... this is just a stark example why, even in light of some great communities, and imo, overwhelmingly nice and caring people on a personal / community level there is no chance I would risk living in Alabama.

Yes, risk. Sad as it is to put it that way. All because of potential huge gov't overreach into my and others civil and religious freedoms. 

When a state strongly supports and will likely elect a man who wants to make homosexuality a criminal offense as if its 1954 again, as but one example, how could I be comfortable moving there? 

You'd be surprised at the city here.  Huntsville, too, for that matter.   You'd have nothing to worry about.  I've been to many places in the country and there are very few I'd think were on par - Lexington, Chattanooga, Boone, maybe a couple others.  Infinitely better than hellholes like LA.

On a side note - lots and lots of money went into this.  And it blew up in the GOP's faces spectacularly.  If they would have kept their noses (and :moneybag::moneybag::moneybag:) out of this we wouldn't have this dip#### in office.

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Sand said:

You'd be surprised at the city here.  Huntsville, too, for that matter.   You'd have nothing to worry about.  I've been to many places in the country and there are very few I'd think were on par - Lexington, Chattanooga, Boone, maybe a couple others.  Infinitely better than hellholes like LA.

On a side note - lots and lots of money went into this.  And it blew up in the GOP's faces spectacularly.  If they would have kept their noses (and :moneybag::moneybag::moneybag:) out of this we wouldn't have this dip#### in office.

So Sand, you never responded to my earlier question. Are you going to vote for Moore or the Democrat? 

It seems doubtful, but I heard at least one analyst on CNN speculate that maybe the Democratic candidate would have a chance. Moore is so spectacularly awful...

6 minutes ago, Sand said:

Oh, is probably enjoy Birmingham tremendously. 

But could not live with the pall of the States leadership over my head, great place as Birmingham may be.

Hope that makes sense. State law can have a huge effect on Ones life and liberty, and such an extreme political atmosphere is simply too much for any one locale to overcome in terms of my decisions. 

Just this week, Moore referred to Native Americans as "reds" and Asian Americans as "yellows". This is the guy that's about to be elected by Alabama. 

2 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Just this week, Moore referred to Native Americans as "reds" and Asian Americans as "yellows". This is the guy that's about to be elected by Alabama. 

No way.  I refuse to believe that Americans would elect such a person.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, urbanhack said:

Believe he also said that Keith Ellison wasn't fit for congress because Islam isn't constitutional.

Daniel Dale‏Verified account @ddale8  12h12 hours ago
An under-discussed part of Roy Moore's long history of bigotry: he argued Congress should refuse to seat Keith Ellison because he's Muslim.

Probably still a bridge too far, but Dems went from a snowball's chance in Alabama of winning this seat to mere longshots.

5 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Probably still a bridge too far, but Dems went from a snowball's chance in Alabama of winning this seat to mere longshots.

I have no confidence Dems can win Alabama but if people like Moore become the face of the GOP, maybe it helps Democratic candidates in other states.

1 person likes this

If athletes peacefully protesting during the national anthem bothers you more than a (likely) US Senator with no regard for the rule of law who wants us to become a theocracy and thinks Muslims can't be congressmen, it ain't patriotism that's motivating your objection.

2 people like this

I'm so lost.  Georgia managed to elect the more racist candidate than whomever Trump was backing?  

And people somehow think this is progress?  

Little help here please.

1 person likes this

15 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

If athletes peacefully protesting during the national anthem bothers you more than a (likely) US Senator with no regard for the rule of law who wants us to become a theocracy and thinks Muslims can't be congressmen, it ain't patriotism that's motivating your objection.

I'm not suggesting this is likely, but what would happen if minority athletes who play football at the University of Alabama would refuse to take the field in protest of Roy Moore? Is that the one thing that could sway Alabama voters?

9 minutes ago, culdeus said:

I'm so lost.  Georgia managed to elect the more racist candidate than whomever Trump was backing?  

And people somehow think this is progress?  

Little help here please.

Wat?

7 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I'm not suggesting this is likely, but what would happen if minority athletes who play football at the University of Alabama would refuse to take the field in protest of Roy Moore? Is that the one thing that could sway Alabama voters?

It would sway some but I do like that athletes and coaches are speaking out - the more that happens the more the every man out there is exposed to it and more importantly I think kids see what is going on - my 11 year old played the Curry clip about Trump.  These kids, I think,will be swayed by athletes and other celebrities and this is one time where I see it as a good thing.

6 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Based on what the Drive-By Truckers have taught me about Alabama, a conflict between college football and racism would result in a draw that could only be resolved by the Van Zant family.

2 people like this

7 hours ago, timschochet said:

It seems doubtful, but I heard at least one analyst on CNN speculate that maybe the Democratic candidate would have a chance. Moore is so spectacularly awful...

He's got about the same chance Trump had in the general election. 

It's not impossible, but he'd probably need some help from the Russians. 

2 people like this

1 minute ago, Henry Ford said:

He's got about the same chance Trump had in the general election. 

It's not impossible, but he'd probably need some help from the Russians. 

I suspect a lot of Alabama voters are like our conservative friend Sand here. Sand has spent the last month ripping Moore as an unacceptable idiot. But when I have asked Sand if he will vote for the Democrat in the general election...silence. Apparently Sand cannot bring himself to vote for a Democrat even when the guy representing his party is a complete embarrassment.

4 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I suspect a lot of Alabama voters are like our conservative friend Sand here. Sand has spent the last month ripping Moore as an unacceptable idiot. But when I have asked Sand if he will vote for the Democrat in the general election...silence. Apparently Sand cannot bring himself to vote for a Democrat even when the guy representing his party is a complete embarrassment.

I wouldn't be shocked if a bunch of sane Republicans just stayed home (and I mean for real, not this "I voted Libertarian" schtick).

7 minutes ago, timschochet said:

In Sand's defense, I would really struggle with the decision if the situation were reversed.  It's not just Moore v. Jones, you're also possibly deciding which party will control the Senate in 2018.  I think if there was a Maryland Senate race between a kooky embarrassing Dem and a seemingly competent Republican, I probably still vote Dem. 

8 minutes ago, timschochet said:

It's a choice between a man who worked in a steel mill and then went to law school and prosecuted civil rights cases as a State prosecutor and as the US Attorney for the Northern District of Alabama and a man who was removed from the State Supreme Court for refusing to follow a civil rights ruling by the US Supreme Court. The second time he was removed from the bench. 

I think we know which way Alabama will go. 

1 minute ago, Henry Ford said:

It's a choice between a man who worked in a steel mill and then went to law school and prosecuted civil rights cases as a State prosecutor and as the US Attorney for the Northern District of Alabama and a man who was removed from the State Supreme Court for refusing to follow a civil rights ruling by the US Supreme Court. The second time he was removed from the bench. 

I think we know which way Alabama will go. 

Not just any civil rights case, either- he prosecuted the 16th Street Church bombings 30 years after they took place. That was one of the most pivotal incidents in the Civil Rights movement.

3 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

In Sand's defense, I would really struggle with the decision if the situation were reversed.  It's not just Moore v. Jones, you're also possibly deciding which party will control the Senate in 2018.  I think if there was a Maryland Senate race between a kooky embarrassing Dem and a seemingly competent Republican, I probably still vote Dem. 

Who is the Left equivliant to Moore?  

Just now, Thunderlips said:

Who is the Left equivliant to Moore?  

Maybe that Congressman who was afraid Guam would tip over?  

4 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

If there were a Democrat version of Roy Moore (and I don't even know what that would look like) and you were voting for him for any reason, you should be ridiculed for it in perpetuity. 

Just now, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

Maybe that Congressman who was afraid Guam would tip over?  

Moore isn't just an idiot.

1 person likes this

If Barack Obama were actually what the loony right has claimed he is for a decade - a Kenyan Muslim who wants to somehow both make us a Communist nation and institute Sharia Law (yes, I know, but suspend disbelief for a moment) then he'd be roughly the equivalent of Roy Moore. And anyone who voted for him should have that vote brought up in every conversation for the rest of his life. 

8 hours ago, timschochet said:

So Sand, you never responded to my earlier question. Are you going to vote for Moore or the Democrat? 

Well I won't vote for Moore, that's a given.  I don't know much about the Democrat.  If he's awful, as well, I may abstain.

And, for the record, I wasn't avoiding this.  When you're working 60-70hrs a week a lots falls by the wayside.  I have dropped lots of balls all over the place.  :P

45 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Louisiana still wins for voting David Duke to the state Senate.  And places like DC and Detroit get permanent high spots for consistently electing idiots/criminals.  But, sadly, AL is gaining a bit here.

Edited by Sand

1 minute ago, Sand said:

Well I won't vote for Moore, that's a given.  I don't know much about the Democrat.  If he's awful, as well, I may abstain.

He worked in the same steel mill his dad did until he went to law school.  Then he became a prosecutor and went after racists who bombed black churches. 

10 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

If there were a Democrat version of Roy Moore (and I don't even know what that would look like) and you were voting for him for any reason, you should be ridiculed for it in perpetuity. 

There have been plenty of versions of Roy Moore on the left, except they resided on the Supreme Court. Douglas wanted to give standing to trees.