What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alabama Voters reject Roy Moore: Update: Roy is running again! (2 Viewers)

There were allegations he asked girls out and was banned from the mall. The jury who looked at the evidence did not believe that. So there does not seem to be sufficient proof to conclude he was. Obviously his reputation has been destroyed and many think he was
Thats because the evidence was the same as it was for Jordan Knight's stomach issues or Catherine the greats death.

"A lot of people said"

Moore is creepy. And criticizing the media for how they handled reporting around a creepy person often looks like you support that creepy person. But in reality they are two different things. The Roy Moore story is a perfect example of how the media throws journalism practices out the window when they support the cause.

There were allegations he asked girls out and was banned from the mall. The jury who looked at the evidence did not believe that. So there does not seem to be sufficient proof to conclude he was. Obviously his reputation has been destroyed and many think he was
Thats because the evidence was the same as it was for Jordan Knight's stomach issues or Catherine the greats death.

"A lot of people said"

Moore is creepy. And criticizing the media for how they handled reporting around a creepy person often looks like you support that creepy person. But in reality they are two different things. The Roy Moore story is a perfect example of how the media throws journalism practices out the window when they support the cause.
I strongly disagree. I don’t think the media was unfair at all. 99% of the time they’re not.

So sick of hearing that the media is unfair to conservatives. It’s the biggest whine out there. It’s almost always untrue, and it’s almost always made by people who have lived their entire lives with the benefits of white male privilege but now see themselves as victims. It’s just pathetic.

People are defending Roy Moore. :huh: Why am I not surprised. SMH.

Pretty sure this will be overturned or severely reduced on appear. There was ample credible testimony from several sources that the jury disregarded (maybe so as to stick it to a liberal defendant with deep pockets).

So sick of hearing that the media is unfair to conservatives. It’s the biggest whine out there. It’s almost always untrue, and it’s almost always made by people who have lived their entire lives with the benefits of white male privilege but now see themselves as victims. It’s just pathetic.

I am so sick of hearing racists tripes like white male privilege. Of course you believe the lies of the media which favors your worldview, so it is not skin off of you. But in your outlandishly hypocritical way with you seem oblivious to your whining about Tucker Carlson and FoxNews.

Lol. The new york times reported that the new yorker reported that lots of people remember hearing roy moore was banned from the shopping mall.

I bet you didnt even know that.

When A female CEO was falsifying data for testing regarding the health of patients the WSJ required a very high level of proof. Like 5 independent sources and required one to be on record.

After several litigation failures, Moore won a big jury verdict last week against the Senate Majority PAC for defamation relating to an attack ad they ran in 2017.

$8.2m jury verdict
Wow, that's a big verdict. Are there limits to the damages like in Texas with Alex Jones.

It would be a real tragedy if Jones ended up paying less than this PAC.

Why would it be a shame. The man was slandered as a pedophile for political purposes. His career and reputation was ruined by lies, regardless of what happens to Jones.
Well except that he was a pedophile right?

There were allegations he asked girls out and was banned from the mall. The jury who looked at the evidence did not believe that. So there does not seem to be sufficient proof to conclude he was. Obviously his reputation has been destroyed and many think he was.

The report I read indicates there were media reports that Moore was banned from the mall for soliciting young girls and ”badgering” them. There was a separate report that he told a 14 year old girl that she is “pretty.” The 14 year old was working at the mall as a Santa’s Helper. This all happened back in 1979 when he was an assistant DA in his 30s. There’s no dispute he frequently asked young gils out on dates. He asked the Santa’s Helper girl for a date two years later when she was 16. It’s disgusting conduct no matter how you view it, if perhaps not necessarily illegal in Alabama. The PAC is entitled to rely on those media reports. The mistake they made was stating in the ad that he was banned from the mall for soliciting a 14 year old Santa’s Helper. That statement was incorrect as they conflated the two reports. The PAC will appeal the verdict but that’s probably an uphill battle for them.

After several litigation failures, Moore won a big jury verdict last week against the Senate Majority PAC for defamation relating to an attack ad they ran in 2017.

$8.2m jury verdict
Wow, that's a big verdict. Are there limits to the damages like in Texas with Alex Jones.

Why would it be a shame. The man was slandered as a pedophile for political purposes. His career and reputation was ruined by lies, regardless of what happens to Jones.

There were allegations he asked girls out and was banned from the mall. The jury who looked at the evidence did not believe that. So there does not seem to be sufficient proof to conclude he was. Obviously his reputation has been destroyed and many think he was.

The report I read indicates there were media reports that Moore was banned from the mall for soliciting young girls and ”badgering” them. There was a separate report that he told a 14 year old girl that she is “pretty.” The 14 year old was working at the mall as a Santa’s Helper. This all happened back in 1979 when he was an assistant DA in his 30s. There’s no dispute he frequently asked young gils out on dates. He asked the Santa’s Helper girl for a date two years later when she was 16. It’s disgusting conduct no matter how you view it, if perhaps not necessarily illegal in Alabama. The PAC is entitled to rely on those media reports. The mistake they made was stating in the ad that he was banned from the mall for soliciting a 14 year old Santa’s Helper. That statement was incorrect as they conflated the two reports. The PAC will appeal the verdict but that’s probably an uphill battle for them.

So it sounds like he waited until they were 16 before asking her out. Very creepy and disturbing, but there are still a majority of states where 16 is the legal age of consent. It makes a material difference indicating she was 14.

"A lot of people said"

The Washington Post got a number of women to go on the record describing their experiences with him. It wasn't second-hand gossip. Would it have been enough to prove a criminal complaint against him? Almost certainly not (especially since it's not even clear that what he was accused of was a crime).. Did they make a pretty convincing case that the accusations were true? I think so. The women would have had no obvious reason to lie about it, and the Post found relatives and friends who backed up their stories. Also, I would argue the fact that they didn't allege major sexual misconduct probably strengthens their credibility. If you were going to make up a story whole cloth to ruin Moore politically, you'd probably come up with something more salacious than "He kissed me, touched my bra and panties, put my hand on his underwear, and when I asked him to stop he took me home."

$8.2m jury verdict

The jury ruled that the specific claims made by the SuperPAC were untrue. They did not look at the allegations as a whole, as Moore never sued the Post for its initial report. So there hasn't been (and never will be) any verdict rendered on claims that he propositioned teenage girls. But as Sand says, the evidence that he did is pretty compelling

The Washington Post got a number of women to go on the record describing their experiences with him. It wasn't second-hand gossip. Would it have been enough to prove a criminal complaint against him? Almost certainly not (especially since it's not even clear that what he was accused of was a crime).. Did they make a pretty convincing case that the accusations were true? I think so. The women would have had no obvious reason to lie about it, and the Post found relatives and friends who backed up their stories. Also, I would argue the fact that they didn't allege major sexual misconduct probably strengthens their credibility. If you were going to make up a story whole cloth to ruin Moore politically, you'd probably come up with something more salacious than "He kissed me, touched my bra and panties, put my hand on his underwear, and when I asked him to stop he took me home
I know you are trying to defend the media here, but that story actually implicates the media.

Wapo sent a reporter to town for weeks. Asking questions to anybody that there was even a whisper of rumor. They worked their butts off to get a person on record. I am pretty sure I previously posted about this very story. It reminds me of the level of verification they took for validating a photo of Bernie Sanders. Sending reporters to multiple schools to check the official library copy of the school yearbook.

That is how journalism should work.

But that was just one story. And because wapo validated that story, doesn't make it ok to run every story without the same level of verification.

The shopping mall story was an unsubstantiated rumor. It may very well be true. But that isn't how reporting is supposed to work. If you can't substantiate it, you don't run it. You don't run it and admit that you couldn't substantiate it. Admitting that isn't a hall pass.

The Washington Post got a number of women to go on the record describing their experiences with him. It wasn't second-hand gossip. Would it have been enough to prove a criminal complaint against him? Almost certainly not (especially since it's not even clear that what he was accused of was a crime).. Did they make a pretty convincing case that the accusations were true? I think so. The women would have had no obvious reason to lie about it, and the Post found relatives and friends who backed up their stories. Also, I would argue the fact that they didn't allege major sexual misconduct probably strengthens their credibility. If you were going to make up a story whole cloth to ruin Moore politically, you'd probably come up with something more salacious than "He kissed me, touched my bra and panties, put my hand on his underwear, and when I asked him to stop he took me home
I know you are trying to defend the media here, but that story actually implicates the media.

Wapo sent a reporter to town for weeks. Asking questions to anybody that there was even a whisper of rumor. They worked their butts off to get a person on record. I am pretty sure I previously posted about this very story. It reminds me of the level of verification they took for validating a photo of Bernie Sanders. Sending reporters to multiple schools to check the official library copy of the school yearbook.

That is how journalism should work.

But that was just one story. And because wapo validated that story, doesn't make it ok to run every story without the same level of verification.

The shopping mall story was an unsubstantiated rumor. It may very well be true. But that isn't how reporting is supposed to work. If you can't substantiate it, you don't run it. You don't run it and admit that you couldn't substantiate it. Admitting that isn't a hall pass.
If you're point is that the media is often sensationalistic and turns rumors into "facts", you'll get no disagreement from me. But that just demonstrates the problem with condemning "the media". Who does that even mean anymore? Some rando on Twitter posts a rumor, and then a media outlet that's partisan and/or disreputable repeats it, and then reporters write about the "controversy" that everyone's talking about. It's definitely a problem, but I'm not sure exactly who deserves the lion's share of the blame. The whole system is broken. But it's also on all of us to make those distinctions between serious reporters and Twitter randos. Because otherwise partisans can dismiss even the most damning accusations as "spin" or "political attacks".

But with respect to Moore, where the media reported (most likely accurately) that he liked to date teenage girls and (most likely inaccurately) that he was banned from a mall, it's hard to make the case that he was undeservedly smeared. Similarly, if a new Deshaun Watson accuser came out tomorrow and then it turned out she was lying, it would be hard for me to muster too much sympathy for Watson given that the accusations from the other 20-some women are most likely true.

$8.2m jury verdict

So it sounds like he waited until they were 16 before asking her out. Very creepy and disturbing, but there are still a majority of states where 16 is the legal age of consent. It makes a material difference indicating she was 14.

Oh. He waited until she was 16. what's all the hubbub then? Seems like a great dude. Maybe the GOP will nominate him for President.

Thankfully we are rid of him politically. He ran in 2020 and only got 7% in the Republican primary and finished a very distant 4th. He always seemed like he was playing a character to me and for a long time he had bedrock support that was automatically behind him no matter what. People forget that when Jeff Sessions left that seat that Gov Ivey made the savvy move to schedule that special election just ahead of her own re-election primary so that Moore, who everyone knew was antsy to run for one of those two offices, would run for senate and not governor. His support was enough she had reason to be concerned.

The report I read indicates there were media reports that Moore was banned from the mall for soliciting young girls and ”badgering” them. There was a separate report that he told a 14 year old girl that she is “pretty.” The 14 year old was working at the mall as a Santa’s Helper. This all happened back in 1979 when he was an assistant DA in his 30s. There’s no dispute he frequently asked young gils out on dates. He asked the Santa’s Helper girl for a date two years later when she was 16. It’s disgusting conduct no matter how you view it, if perhaps not necessarily illegal in Alabama.
Moore's own description of courting his future wife (when she was still in high school and he was in his ~30s) is creepy as hell. If you didn't know who it was, you'd think that it was the confession of a sex offender.

Users who are viewing this thread