What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stephen King Books (1 Viewer)

Sorry, no. I can get the first book. The Stand is 44 hours, the first DT book is 15. They all count the same. I guess I’m just more interested in what the better story would be - want to do both. 
Yes. The Stand by 1000 miles.

just read his new book “The Outsider”.  Loved the first 3/4, then seemed to trail off at the end. Still a 4/5, but didnt finish strong imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
just read his new book “The Outsider”.  Loved the first 3/4, then seemed to trail off at the end. Still a 4/5, but didnt finish strong imo.
Welcome to Stephen King.  Except the end of The Dark Tower series, which was perfect.  (but the story from 65%-80% thru sucked).

Working through this now too but not enjoying it that much.  Slow to start, pretty derivative of some other stuff, repetitive thoughts / statements from characters (you don't need to keep hitting us over the head with the same point), was hoping for a strong finish but that's not his thing and seems like it here also from what you wrote. 

That's my take, too.

Warning to those considering this novel: if you haven't read the Mr Mercedes trilogy - and plan to - this book may spoil a couple of things.

I just started Under The Dome.  It's a big damn book.

I also read Joyland about a month back. Not bad but not fantastic.. It's a good, quick summer read that moves fast.

I'm not a fan of him putting his political views into many of his current books..  I don't read his stuff (or any book) for the author's political stance.  I read them to "get away" from the real World and enjoy a good story.  Him constantly bashing Trump and inserting political comments really isn't necessary...  

So I’ve been on a big King kick this year if you’ve seen the “what are you reading” thread. In 2019:

The Stand

11/22/63

The Shining

The Dead Zone

Salem’s Lot

...and I just started It

Big fan of how he writes characters.  

Didn't think this warranted it's own thread, but I for one can't wait.  The Long Walk is probably my all-time favorite King story.  Can't wait to see the movie.  Long overdue, although I wish Frank Darabont still held the rights.  He would have done a fantastic job with it, but I am glad it is finally getting made.  

"The Long Walk" film gets a director 
great short story...one that has stuck with me

The odd thing is that I read The Outsider several months ago and know that I enjoyed it well enough.  But as I sit here typing this, I can't for the life of me recall the plot.  I do know that the girl from Mr. Mercedes was a character.  I think my mind may be going.  That said, I read The Stand only once and remember everything about that one.

The odd thing is that I read The Outsider several months ago and know that I enjoyed it well enough.  But as I sit here typing this, I can't for the life of me recall the plot.  I do know that the girl from Mr. Mercedes was a character.  I think my mind may be going.  That said, I read The Stand only once and remember everything about that one.
HBO is making it into a series.

Didn't think this warranted it's own thread, but I for one can't wait.  The Long Walk is probably my all-time favorite King story.  Can't wait to see the movie.  Long overdue, although I wish Frank Darabont still held the rights.  He would have done a fantastic job with it, but I am glad it is finally getting made.  

"The Long Walk" film gets a director 
I feel like it will be a real challenge to pull this off successfully.  If they can capture the magic of the interaction between the boys in Stand By Me, it may just work.

I feel like it will be a real challenge to pull this off successfully.  If they can capture the magic of the interaction between the boys in Stand By Me, it may just work.
I agree.  I hope they take a 'less is more' approach, and focus on the character development and interactions. 

With the movie release of Doctor Sleep (which looks really good), I’m wondering if I should read the book first. Any opinions on the book, or is this a case where the movie looks good because of the call backs to The Shining?

Also, to add to my list of Stephen King books that I’ve read in the past couple of years in my quest to catch up:

The Institute (I like this a lot, the ending worked as well)

Salems Lot (read this as a kid, the re-read was still very good)

The Shining (Have seen the movie multiple times, the book was a bit of a let down because of the movie)

Under the Dome (King really knows how to build a community of people in his books. That was the best part of this)

All of his later stuff feels cookie-cutter to me.  And by "later" I mean everything after IT.  IMO everyone should read:

• The Stand
  • Salem's Lot
  • The Dead Zone
  • The Shining

All of his later stuff feels cookie-cutter to me.  And by "later" I mean everything after IT.  IMO everyone should read:

• The Stand
  • Salem's Lot
  • The Dead Zone
  • The Shining
I’ve read all 4 of these and while I like all 4 very much, I’d say I like 11.22.63 better than all of those. 

I am betting more on cgi jump scares and too much backstory working it's way into the mix like it does for 90% of new horror movies.  

Like you said, to do it right it should be focused on these characters, but that's not what sells tix unfortunately.  

It's one of King's better books in a long time, IMO.
Interesting - maybe I will bump it back up in the queue.  I have Dr. Sleep and The Outsider at home, but moved Dr. Sleep down the list after seeing the trailer to the movie.  

Interesting - maybe I will bump it back up in the queue.  I have Dr. Sleep and The Outsider at home, but moved Dr. Sleep down the list after seeing the trailer to the movie.  
Sounds like I’ll do the same. Probably won’t see The movie in the theaters, so I have some time.

I found The Outsider writing to be lazy and just not that great.  Dr. Sleep seemed more like vintage King.

I think his books are always great for the first three quarters or so.  Like, amazing.  I don't know another author who can create characters the way he can. It's that last 25% where he can lose it.  I just finished the Institute and he stuck that landing. Excellent book. I liked Dr. Sleep so I'm looking forward to the movie. The trailer looks pretty good. Plus I'm a sucker for The Shining and Rebecca Ferguson. And Ewen McGregor.

]I think his books are always great for the first three quarters or so.  Like, amazing.  I don't know another author who can create characters the way he can. It's that last 25% where he can lose it.  I just finished the Institute and he stuck that landing. Excellent book. I liked Dr. Sleep so I'm looking forward to the movie. The trailer looks pretty good. Plus I'm a sucker for The Shining and Rebecca Ferguson. And Ewen McGregor.
Exhibit A: Under the Dome

I think his books are always great for the first three quarters or so.  Like, amazing.  I don't know another author who can create characters the way he can. It's that last 25% where he can lose it.  I just finished the Institute and he stuck that landing. Excellent book. I liked Dr. Sleep so I'm looking forward to the movie. The trailer looks pretty good. Plus I'm a sucker for The Shining and Rebecca Ferguson. And Ewen McGregor.
I agree on The Institute, good start to finish. Much better than The Outsider.

Users who are viewing this thread