What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trump poised to end DACA as early as Friday (2 Viewers)

I don’t understand. 

As happy as I am that this means the DACA kids are protected for a while longer, this confuses me. If Obama created DACA by executive order, why can’t Trump end it by executive order?
I think there needs to a specific reason?  They seemed to take exception to the arbitrary nature of the order....but I don't really know :shrug:  

parasaurolophus said:
California Judge and New York Judge.
The Supreme Court refused the case. Now it will matriculate through the appeals courts and may make it them eventually, but today's news has nothing to do with New York and California judges. 

The Supreme Court refused the case. Now it will matriculate through the appeals courts and may make it them eventually, but today's news has nothing to do with New York and California judges. 
 Well ####.  I totally missed that.  They simply rejected it :lol:   In any sane court it's DOA.  Is there a federal court where it has a chance of passing?

Tim asked...

If Obama created DACA by executive order, why can’t Trump end it by executive order?
What states do you think Nick and Billy, the two blokes blocking Trump, are from? 

Sorry.....of being reversed.  Or maybe asked a better way, is there a court that will grant the appeal and overturn the lower court or are the federal courts content with this being appealed all the way to the SC?
Well, they skipped the appellate court.  Now they have to take it through the whole process.  This was going to fast-track the lawsuit.  This ruling doesn't "save DACA." 

Well, they skipped the appellate court.  Now they have to take it through the whole process.  This was going to fast-track the lawsuit.  This ruling doesn't "save DACA." 
No, I get that.  I am just wondering if appellate courts are just going to let it run it's course and end up back on the SC plate.  I guess time will tell.

The Commish said:
No, I get that.  I am just wondering if appellate courts are just going to let it run it's course and end up back on the SC plate.  I guess time will tell.
The appellate courts’ only procedural way to try and prevent Supreme Court review would be to sit on the case without ruling on it. The Supreme Court yesterday implicitly told them to fast track it. 

That said, I think there’s a pretty reasonable chance the Ninth Circuit rules for the administration, and in that scenario I’m not sure the Supreme Court would take the case unless another court of appeal goes the other way. 

:(

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2018/02/27/new-practice-indiana-no-professional-licenses-daca-recipients/373717002/

New practice in Indiana: No professional licenses for DACA recipients

Young immigrants brought to the United States illegally as children but granted legal work status, often called Dreamers, are being shut out of scores of professions in Indiana under a new practice implemented by the administration of Gov. Eric Holcomb. 

The Indiana Professional Licensing Agency recently added new questions about citizenship status to all of its license applications, allowing it to screen out DACA recipients who the agency says are not qualified to hold professional licenses under a 2011 Indiana immigration law. 

The new practice effectively locks out Indiana's roughly 9,000 DACA recipients from more than 70 professional licenses in Indiana, ranging from cosmetology to nursing to architecture. Nearly one in seven Indiana workers are licensed by the agency

The move has upset DACA advocates including Rep. Ed Clere, R-New Albany, who introduced legislation during a House committee hearing Tuesday that would allow Dreamers to qualify for professional licenses. It passed unanimously and now moves to the full House.

Indiana has boxed out these young people and this is an opportunity to fix that and make sure they have access to opportunity," Clere said. "If this isn’t fixed, DACA participants who currently hold licenses will be denied a renewal license. This is devastating for individuals and harmful to employers who will lose a cosmetologist, plumber or an engineer or a nurse, to name a few."

Holcomb issued his first statement on the controversy shortly after the vote, throwing his support behind the legislation, while maintaining that his administration acted appropriately. 

“Ultimately, Congress needs to clarify federal immigration law regarding DACA," he said. "But, until they act, Indiana state law should allow DACA recipients to skill up and work here in Indiana. While Indiana’s Professional Licensing Agency acted appropriately and in line with what our current laws require, I am encouraged to see there is legislative intent to fix this."

President Trump’s latest threat is infuriating, but not as infuriating as the Republicans for going along with this. They need to be held to account.

Let’s review: DACA is restricted to undocumented immigrants who were brought here as children, not of their own choosing. It is restricted to those who have never been convicted of a felony, and who have chosen to serve in our military, and/or have gone to college. It says to these young people, you’re the sort of people we want here: you get protected from deportation, you get to stay. 

DACA is not a selfless act on the part of the government; we gain as a society from having these kids stay. But beyond that, it should be done because it’s the decent thing to do, and not as any sort of trade-off for other items. It’s frankly outrageous and disgusting that these kids should be held hostage to security issues that have nothing to do with them. And the hypocrisy is incredible: if DACA were voted on as a sole issue right now it would pass easily, which is why the GOP leadership won’t do it, because just as they remain terrified of the gun extremists on gun control issues, they are terrified of the anti-immigrant nativist extremists on this issue. 

I am sick and tired of the fact that everything is always stopped by a small minority of extremists within the Republican Party. We have got to get rid of these people. And this awful President. 

I don't know what his threat is....haven't been anywhere near technology this weekend until now, but if he's pulling it off the table, not going to negotiate it and not going to discuss it, that's a HUGE win for the political :hophead:  in terms of "power" in Washington.  Couldn't ask for better actually.  Yeah, it sucks for those involved and they are being used just like the rest of us in all the other political :hophead:  but it's making things significantly easier in 2018 for the Dems.

Trump continued his disgusting remarks yesterday, claiming that “illegal immigration is destroying the country” and blaming Mexico for allowing “caravans of people here.” Just so ugly and bigoted. 

Trump's tweet about "big flows of people trying to take advantage of DACA" demonstrates he has no idea what DACA even is. He knows that is has something to do with immigration, and he thinks that "immigration is bad, mmmkay". 

Dan Rather‏ @DanRather 2h2 hours ago

President Trump and his allies seem to relish using the word "illegal" to describe many immigrants to this country, but somehow that word is conspicuously absent when they are discussing the many scandals facing members of the Administration, or the President himself.

Dan Rather‏ @DanRather 2h2 hours ago

President Trump and his allies seem to relish using the word "illegal" to describe many immigrants to this country, but somehow that word is conspicuously absent when they are discussing the many scandals facing members of the Administration, or the President himself.
Yeah, so, if people who come here illegally are "illegal immigrants", shouldn't we be talking about "illegal politicians" or "illegal administration officials" at this point?

Michael Flynn is an illegal.  Paul Manafort is an illegal.  Richard Gates is an illegal.  And it's possible Trump is an illegal.

Here's the thing about Trump and DACA.  He doesn't give a ####.  He really doesn't.  In real estate and relationships, the person who cares less holds all the power.  He's simply applying that experience to this.  He doesn't give a #### one way or the other about DACA so he wants to wield it as a club.  

Here's the thing about Trump and DACA.  He doesn't give a ####.  He really doesn't.  In real estate and relationships, the person who cares less holds all the power.  He's simply applying that experience to this.  He doesn't give a #### one way or the other about DACA so he wants to wield it as a club.  
This is an often cited falsehood. The power to walk away is not the only power in either of those scenarios.  Nor is the person who cares less the only one who will do so.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an often cited falsehood. The power to walk away is not the only power in either of those scenarios.  Nor is the person who cares less the only one who will do so.
In my experience, it's been pretty accurate.  Maybe not all the power, but more of the power.   If I am at a point of indifference in a real estate sale, they can't really push me any further because after this point I am walking. 

I cannot be talked down any further and I won't give a single nickel more in concessions.  I've been there a few times.  It's kind of empowering.  

In my experience, it's been pretty accurate.  Maybe not all the power, but more of the power.   If I am at a point of indifference in a real estate sale, they can't really push me any further because after this point I am walking. 

I cannot be talked down any further and I won't give a single nickel more in concessions.  I've been there a few times.  It's kind of empowering.  
Works incredibly well in car dealerships.

In other immigration related news, they leave the light on and also call ICE.

Laila Lalami‏Verified account @LailaLalami 3h3 hours ago

Huge story.

Motel 6 in Latino neighborhoods in Phoenix apparently share their guest lists with ICE. “We send a report every morning."

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/motel-6-calling-ice-undocumented-guests-phoenix-immigration-lawyers-9683244
:yes:

ACLU‏ @ACLU Apr 5

UPDATE:

Motel 6 will now pay out $12 million for sharing its guest lists with ICE. Business owners, take notice — doing the bidding of the president's mass deportation machine is wrong, and it could cost you.

There go those democrats...not doing anything about immigration reform again.  
You are being facetious but Trump will shortly be pointing the finger and tweeting about the "Do Nothing" Democrats on immigration reform and his supporters will parrot it as gospel (I see this all the time on Twitter).

You are being facetious but Trump will shortly be pointing the finger and tweeting about the "Do Nothing" Democrats on immigration reform and his supporters will parrot it as gospel (I see this all the time on Twitter).
Need a webpage or link of some kind to point to what bills this Congress actually passed and how McConnell is killing everything. What an obstructionist he is.

Users who are viewing this thread