What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When Someone Says "Next Sunday," What Day Do They Mean? (1 Viewer)

"Next Sunday" To Mean . . .

• The first Sunday upcoming

Votes: 26 33.3%
  • The second Sunday upcoming

Votes: 52 66.7%

• Total voters

Anarchy99

Footballguy
This has come up locally again, as someone scheduled something for "Next Sunday." Half the people interpreted that to mean "Whenever Sunday comes next, that is the day." The other half of people took that to mean "the second Sunday."

If someone communicated "Next Sunday" to you without any way to clarify the actual date, which would you interpret that to mean?

I mentioned to the powers that be that in the future to leave out the "next" part in the description and just say the day of the week and the date (Sunday 9/17) to avoid confusion.

this Sunday is the 17th

next Sunday is the 24th
I agree, but would not be at all confident in assuming that's what someone means if it's Monday or Tuesday when they tell me "next Sunday." If it's Thursday or Friday and they say "next Sunday" when they mean this coming Sunday, then they are morons. 

I definitely agree with the suggestion to use dates for clarity.

Plus, I love when this comes up and I tell someone next Sunday and the person is like "you mean this Sunday coming up?"

Uh, no, if I meant that I would have just said this Sunday. 

Yeah, it's so weird that people don't know that when you say "next Sunday" you don't mean the next Sunday but rather the Sunday after the next Sunday. I mean, duh. 

It means the latter but sometimes I have used it to mean the upcoming Sunday if I am saying it on Sunday or Monday :shrug:

For example, if we have a game on Sunday and someone asks me when our next game is and I'll say "next Sunday" I wont mean two weeks from then but next week. Its all in the context.

If next Sunday doesn't mean 2 Sundays from now, then there is no meaning for This Sunday.
Regarding "this Sunday" they mean Sunday of this week but are being lazy with language.

The definition of "next" is very clear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sunday is obvious. 

Tuesday isnt. 

On a Wednesday, someone says 'see you next Tuesday!'  Do you interpret that as 6 days or 13 days from now?

They mean Sunday of this week but are being lazy with language.

The definition of "next" is very clear.
It isn't. The definition of "next" is descriptivist vs. prescriptivist, which is why we're arguing.  

In a social context, "see ya Next Sunday" means everything. 

Yeah, it's so weird that people don't know that when you say "next Sunday" you don't mean the next Sunday but rather the Sunday after the next Sunday. I mean, duh. 
I think it's also weird that when people say "last Sunday" they mean the most recently passed Sunday, and not (obviously) the final Sunday before Armageddon. Because I also like to randomly place articles like "the" into people's sentences in my head.

If I wanted an argument about confusion stemming from someone too lazy to add in 2 extra words such as 'the 17th', I could've just talked with my wife.

The following exchange is unambiguous.

I watched the game on Sunday. 

That's good.  Are you watching the game this Sunday too?

Yes, I'm watching the game Sunday but I have to go to a wedding next Sunday. 

That is unacceptable.  Fall weddings are only ok on Saturdays and never in October when the local team is expected to be in world series contention. 

These are both unambiguous, even though they use the same "this" with different meanings. 

What are you doing this weekend? 

What did you did this weekend?

This is ambiguous

On Monday - I'm moving next weekend can you help? 

No, I have a wedding next weekend. 

I meant this weekend. 

####. 

It's also unacceptable to ask someone for help moving after the age of 25, or to help someone move and go to a wedding on back to back weekends. 

"Meet me Sunday." = This coming Sunday

"Meet me this Sunday." = This coming Sunday

"Meet me next Sunday." = The following Sunday after this coming Sunday. 

EXCEPTION: If it's Sunday... then IMO "next Sunday" may mean 7 days from now and should be clarified. 

If next Sunday doesn't mean 2 Sundays from now, then there is no meaning for This Sunday.
Bingo. 

Are you always wrong, or just in this thread? 

By the way, there is no reason to say "this Sunday".  Just say "Sunday".
Exactly. If I say "This sunday", I'll usually default to saying "This coming Sunday" as it eliminates confusion. 

This is ambiguous

On Monday - I'm moving next weekend can you help? 

No, I have a wedding next weekend. 

I meant this weekend. 

####. 

It's also unacceptable to ask someone for help moving after the age of 25, or to help someone move and go to a wedding on back to back weekends. 
Yes. 

...and per your wedding/moving comments, I will use some folks' misuse of this/next against them when asking me to do #### I don't want to do. 

"Where were you Sunday? Moving that piano was tough with only 3 people" 
"Ohhhhh damn... you said NEXT Sunday... I thought you meant a week from now..... hate I missed that." 

:whistle:

I think it's also weird that when people say "last Sunday" they mean the most recently passed Sunday, and not (obviously) the final Sunday before Armageddon. Because I also like to randomly place articles like "the" into people's sentences in my head.
If I said "I'm going to do the same thing this Sunday as I did the last Sunday", I wouldn't feel like that's impossible because there could be no this Sunday if I'm already past the last Sunday.  I would just think that the last Sunday was the most recent Sunday.  Adding "the" doesn't change its meaning.  Unless you're saying The Last Sunday, which is completely different, but not because of "the".

If I said "I'm going to do the same thing this Sunday as I did the last Sunday", I wouldn't feel like that's impossible because there could be no this Sunday if I'm already past the last Sunday.  I would just think that the last Sunday was the most recent Sunday.  Adding "the" doesn't change its meaning.  Unless you're saying The Last Sunday, which is completely different, but not because of "the".
Of course not. Once we're past Armageddon, there won't be any more Sundays.

Generally "this" Sunday is for the upcoming Sunday, and "next" is for the 2nd Sunday.

I would always get clarification though...

Users who are viewing this thread