What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

National/State Parks Worth Seeing (1 Viewer)

So one of the things I realized last night, is that if we're flying in and then driving, that complicates my plan to camp for some of the nights. 

The only solutions I can thing of for getting camping equipment there would be to either stow it in some kind of bin and pay to check it as luggage, pay to ship it back and forth somehow, or just buy it once we are there (with the problem of getting it home popping up).

Any recommendations there? I'd like to camp at a few spots both for the enjoyment and to help cut costs a bit.
Yeah, I thought of that too. I was thinking about just buying a tent after landing, then I realized we'd also need sleeping bags and pillows and maybe more. I've seen some camp sites with yurts and tipis. You'd still need sleeping bags and pillows, but it would eliminate the need for a tent. I've found Ruby's Inn Campground (near Bryce Canyon) has tipis and Goosebury Mesa Yurts (near Zion) has two yurts. Or there are cabins at different places.

Have you considered flying and then renting an rv when you get there?
You see quite a few Rental RVs in Colorado during the summer. They aren't cheap but do provide some convenience. The only issue is not all of the cool roads are RV passable. You also need to plan ahead on where you will camp with it and get reservations. It is difficult on Thurs-Sunday getting a walk up camping spot in Colorado - especially at the popular spots. You are pretty attached to the camper as well - difficult to run into town for things, etc. But they are really easy on the family - and especially in bad weather.

In full summer I'd do either Colorado or Yellowstone area. Utah is fantastic but pretty hot in middle summer - need to watch yourself in summer monsoons in canyon areas. Also might want to see what it costs to fly to Bozeman or Billings and move about from up there. Do a circle of Yellowstone/Glacier. The drive from Red Lodge to Cooke City Yellowstone(NE) entrance through the Beartooths is truly awesome. Then up to Flathead Lake and then to Glacier. Make sure to do some fishing around Yellowstone river systems - Snake, Henry's Fork, Yellowstone.

I just got back from Bryce/Zion.  Very different from one another, both absolutely spectacular.  Blessed with perfect weather the whole week too (early October is a great time to go) although Bryce was a bit chilly compared to what I am used to (60 degrees by day, 20s at night.)

YMMV, but I wouldn't rent an RV.  There are places to camp at both parks, but they seem to fill up fast, so I'd book way early.  We did a cabin rental in Tropic for Bryce (10-15 drive from the park) and just got a hotel room in Zion and rented a car to get from place to place.  RV seems like one giant PITA, especially when they have to close the tunnel traffic one way at the east side of Zion to let one through (and it costs you $15 if you're the guy requiring the tunnel to be shut down.)

Yeah, I think Pike's Peak is probably going to get chopped and SLC will be the start of the trip. 

I still think Yellowstone will stick even though I've been there before since it is so unique and different than the rest of the parks on my list.
If you went to Pike's Peak you probably would have wanted to hit Estes Park as well. Maybe you intended to when mentioning the area but figured I should mention it just in case. 

The Wave is amazing but the online lottery is such small odds I don't think it makes sense to plan your route through that area specifically for that if you're planning early.  If I recall they run the lottery just 3-4 months in advance of the month you're entering the lottery for so if you're planning the trip a year out I wouldn't necessarily change things for The Wave under the assumption you're going to get a permit because it's extremely unlucky that you'll land one.
Fire Canyon in the Valley of Fire State Park is a poor man's wave. Not as majestic, no line though... :)

Am I crazy for not caring too much about the Grand Canyon? My current thought is to just take the 2 hour detour to hit one of the overlooks for a few minutes (Griswold style) and then move on. I'm not thinking of spending hours/days (no hikes or multiple stops) there like some of the other places. If you picked just one overlook, which one? North Rim? Grand Canyon Village main visitor center? Skywalk?

Am I crazy for not caring too much about the Grand Canyon? My current thought is to just take the 2 hour detour to hit one of the overlooks for a few minutes (Griswold style) and then move on. I'm not thinking of spending hours/days (no hikes or multiple stops) there like some of the other places. If you picked just one overlook, which one? North Rim? Grand Canyon Village main visitor center? Skywalk?
Can't speak for the north rim, but my wife and I camped for a week at the south rim and could have easily done another week.  There are a lot of great hikes and things to do.  Couldn't imagine going to a place so majestic and looking at it for 10 minutes and turning around.

I was there this past year and I tend to agree with you - the views don't change that much once you are 'there'. I would spend longer if I was planning on hiking down/up or trying to photograph at sunset/sunrise time.  My body hates heights so a couple hours there was plenty.  My BIL from South Africa would have spent 10 hours there.  Different strokes, etc. 

No reason to pick one overlook - you have to drive by a whole bunch based on roads & traffic flow. 

You see quite a few Rental RVs in Colorado during the summer. They aren't cheap but do provide some convenience. The only issue is not all of the cool roads are RV passable. You also need to plan ahead on where you will camp with it and get reservations. It is difficult on Thurs-Sunday getting a walk up camping spot in Colorado - especially at the popular spots. You are pretty attached to the camper as well - difficult to run into town for things, etc. But they are really easy on the family - and especially in bad weather.

In full summer I'd do either Colorado or Yellowstone area. Utah is fantastic but pretty hot in middle summer - need to watch yourself in summer monsoons in canyon areas. Also might want to see what it costs to fly to Bozeman or Billings and move about from up there. Do a circle of Yellowstone/Glacier. The drive from Red Lodge to Cooke City Yellowstone(NE) entrance through the Beartooths is truly awesome. Then up to Flathead Lake and then to Glacier. Make sure to do some fishing around Yellowstone river systems - Snake, Henry's Fork, Yellowstone.
Would be cool if you could rent a pick up truck along with a travel trailer.    

Vegas has a couple of cool spots within driving distance for a day trip, if you're going through that neck of the woods.

Red Rock has nice hiking and views.  But if you only have time for one trip I highly recommend a drive along 167 which runs on the north side of Lake Mead and takes you to the Valley of Fire state park.  Make sure to take a 4WD vehicle with you so you can head off the paved road to explore some of the old strip mine roads along 167.  A unique and eerie experience and so worth it.  Valley of Fire is very cool, and you'll get to see cave drawings up close.

Also, while you're in Vegas check out the botanical gardens.  It's very cool with tons of local flora that you won't see in the Northeast.  Giant cacti and the like. 
I'm doing this in ten days.   Hired a tour company

I'm doing this in ten days.   Hired a tour company
Good call.  I stayed at Valley of Fire til sunset to get the ideal pictures of the wave.  I was pretty nervous driving out of there with zero lights in any direction and going over hills with no idea what was waiting for me on the other side.  GPS didn't work out there as a special bonus. 

Good call.  I stayed at Valley of Fire til sunset to get the ideal pictures of the wave.  I was pretty nervous driving out of there with zero lights in any direction and going over hills with no idea what was waiting for me on the other side.  GPS didn't work out there as a special bonus. 
Six hours. They pick us up at 8;30am from our hotel. Asked for 10% off and they gave it to me.
https://www.pinkjeeptourslasvegas.com/valley-of-fire-state-park-adventure-tour/

Suggestions for Arizona? I think the wedding I'm going to will be in the Tucson area. I've marked Saguaro National Park (tallest cactus in the world!) as a place to go. Then there's obviously the Grand Canyon and Sedona. Is Arizona where the old Native American homes are that are built into the side of mountains?

uh... exactly. amazing trip.

I'd add Canyon de Chelly in AZ as well... but a bit out of the way and not the best for non-mobile types.

If you went to Pike's Peak you probably would have wanted to hit Estes Park as well. Maybe you intended to when mentioning the area but figured I should mention it just in case. 
See this is my suggestion (and as a Colorado native who looks up at Pikes Peak every day). I would start in Colorado Springs and see--not drive-to Pikes Peak--drive to Denver (there is just is a ton to do there) and then go up to Rocky Mountain National Park and spend a night in Estes Park--just one of my favorite places in Colorado. You can then choose to go North to Yellowstone or go west into Utah, I would start central and work out but I may be bias about my love for Colorado for the past 48 years. 

The funny thing is the yearly passes really aren't changing.  So instead of $20-$25 to enter a park you're paying $70.  But for $85 (I think) you can get a yearly pass that covers all national parks.  I don't know that the park service will really even make more money since quite a few people will probably turn away.

Does that mean there will be less people at the parks when I go? :oldunsure:
I can't imagine it will stop any of the regulars/locals.  Most of us get annual passes anyway if we're going to the parks more than once or twice a year.  I bet the people who are from out of country will pay the extra since they're already paying a lot to be here.  My guess is it's mostly the people who aren't local to any parks and go as a half-day side trip on their vacation who might start skipping them.  Even that might not stop many people thinking about it.  $70 for a family of 4 for half a day isn't all that major.

See this is my suggestion (and as a Colorado native who looks up at Pikes Peak every day). I would start in Colorado Springs and see--not drive-to Pikes Peak--drive to Denver (there is just is a ton to do there) and then go up to Rocky Mountain National Park and spend a night in Estes Park--just one of my favorite places in Colorado. You can then choose to go North to Yellowstone or go west into Utah, I would start central and work out but I may be bias about my love for Colorado for the past 48 years. 
The Pikes Peak train is pretty fun for a visit (better than driving) and not too expensive.

If your in moderate shape you can ride the train halfway up and hike in a mile and a half or so to stay at the Barr Camp (really cool/fun place).  If you're in good shape the hike up the Barr Trail is one of the best hikes in all of Colorado IMO.  I do it about once a year.  It's 25 or so miles and 7500 or so feet of gain.  So tough but you can hike up and ride the train down and cut the distance.  You can also use the Barr Camp (halfway up) as a nice stop and make it multiple days.  I know your time is limited but this truly is one of the best trails in the west IMO as someone who has hiked/backpacked many of the famous trails in CO/NM/UT/WY.

I can't imagine it will stop any of the regulars/locals.  Most of us get annual passes anyway if we're going to the parks more than once or twice a year.  I bet the people who are from out of country will pay the extra since they're already paying a lot to be here.  My guess is it's mostly the people who aren't local to any parks and go as a half-day side trip on their vacation who might start skipping them.  Even that might not stop many people thinking about it.  $70 for a family of 4 for half a day isn't all that major.
I was at Bryce and Zion a few weeks back and probably 50-60% of the people I saw were Asian tourists coming in on giant busses.  I don't think this is stopping them.

I'm starting to worry that I may be over filling my trip to the point where everyone would end up exhausted and not having much fun. I'm also slightly concerned about the heat being a bigger issue than I'd like for my wife due to her MS.

Here's my current planned itinerary. Give me your thoughts on if it is too much packed into the schedule:

July 3: Fly from Philly to SLC, 3:40 drive to Arches National Park

July 4-5: Arches National Park

July 6: Drive to Torrey/Capitol Reef (3.5 hours), See some of Capitol Reef

July 7: See some of Capitol Reef, drive to Bryce Canyon (2.5 hours)

July 8-9: Bryce Canyon

July 10: Drive to Zion (2 hours), See part of Zion

July 11-12: Zion National Park

July 13: Drive to Yellowstone (11 hours)

July 14-17 Yellowstone

July 18-19: Grand Teton National Park

July 20: Drive to Salt Lake City (5 hours)

July 21: Fly home

I'm starting to roll the idea around in my head to eliminate the Utah parks. I feel like 16 total days between Yellowstone and Grand Teton may be too much though. Is there a third park that I could look into the trip that would be doable? Glacier seems awesome, but I'm not sure if another 7 hours north of Yellowstone ends up being too much unless we can fly either into or out of an airport somewhat near there and into/out of SLC without a huge hit to our budget.

I'm starting to worry that I may be over filling my trip to the point where everyone would end up exhausted and not having much fun. I'm also slightly concerned about the heat being a bigger issue than I'd like for my wife due to her MS.

Here's my current planned itinerary. Give me your thoughts on if it is too much packed into the schedule:

July 14-17 Yellowstone

I'm starting to roll the idea around in my head to eliminate the Utah parks. I feel like 16 total days between Yellowstone and Grand Teton may be too much though. Is there a third park that I could look into the trip that would be doable? Glacier seems awesome, but I'm not sure if another 7 hours north of Yellowstone ends up being too much unless we can fly either into or out of an airport somewhat near there and into/out of SLC without a huge hit to our budget.
Are you hell bent on Yellowstone and the Tetons? I would concentrate on Colorado and Utah as there is so much varied awesome scenery to see between the two states and IMO, these are the 2 most scenic states in the country. I just think you will get to see much more staying in this area vs heading north to Yellowstone and the Tetons. You could do a round trip loop in and out from Denver or better yet fly into either Denver or Las Vegas then fly out from the other.

In Southern Utah you can see Zion, Bryce, Arches, and also stop by the Grand Canyon.

In Colorado there are so many areas to see but I would recommend:

Rocky Mountain National Park

Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods

Southwest CO- Telluride, Ouray (awesome hot spring pools), Durango, Mesa Verde

Central CO- Aspen/Maroon Bells, Hanging Lake, Black Canyon of Gunnison 

The drive through the Colorado Rockies is something to see, permanent smile on my face while driving taking in the great scenery- very little wasted time.

ETA- I just noticed a concern for the heat, can you go later in the summer or September? 

Last edited by a moderator:

July 14-17 Yellowstone

Never been to Yellowstone but IMO, Bryce and Zion both >>> Grand Teton. Not that the latter isn't cool, but I liked the Utah parks better personally. Depends what you're into, though. 

July 14-17 Yellowstone

Personally, I don't think it sounds like too much, but these things come down to how active you want to be, how the travelers tolerate a lot of windshield time and what else is going on in each area besides scenery. For instance, I wouldn't subject my kids to that itinerary without having some diversion (pool etc) that wasn't scenery or hiking on some days. 

Yeah, I think with just 14-17 days, even making it as far west as Grand Canyon is unlikely. 

Another summer of California up to Washington would be a pretty cool trip. I've never been to Oregon or Washington and only been to San Diego in Cali.
Northern Cali, up thru Washington state is gorgeous. Richardson Grove state Park in CA has the redwoods, and is beautiful camping. Smith River is another great park with camping, up near the Oregon Border.

If you want to do camping out by the NorCal beaches, there is an amazing camp site where you can stay right on the beach- Mattole Campground in Humboldt County. One of my favorite all time spots, and usually deserted. It is very far out of the way, though.

If ur interested, i’ll post more. There are dozens of excellent spots to see.

Family Griswold trip out West is booked for early June. We're going to fly into Vegas and drive to SLC (itinerary below). Looking for any additional advise on things to see/do along the way.

• Day 1 - South Rim Grand Canyon - We're not hiking here, so what's the best way to see GC by vehicle? Bus tour or drive yourself?
  • Day 2 - Page AZ - Want to get the Horsehoe bend photo for sure. Entered the Wave lottery just for S&G's.
  • Day 3/4 - Zion NP - Hiking the Narrows for sure, guided or DIY? What else?
  • Day 4/5 - Escalante - Hiking to Calf Creek Falls.
  • Day 6/7 - Moab - Stopping at Goblin Valley SP (pimped hard by @El Floppo in this thread). Doing a desert Jeep tour in Arches. What hikes or other activities in the area?
  • Day 8 - SLC - Anything to see here?
I would also love to do some fishing and will be bringing a travel rod if anyone has any recommendations on areas to fish along the way.

TIA 

Family Griswold trip out West is booked for early June. We're going to fly into Vegas and drive to SLC (itinerary below). Looking for any additional advise on things to see/do along the way.

• Day 1 - South Rim Grand Canyon - We're not hiking here, so what's the best way to see GC by vehicle? Bus tour or drive yourself?
  • Day 2 - Page AZ - Want to get the Horsehoe bend photo for sure. Entered the Wave lottery just for S&G's.
  • Day 6/7 - Moab - Stopping at Goblin Valley SP (pimped hard by @El Floppo in this thread). Doing a desert Jeep tour in Arches. What hikes or other activities in the area?
I would also love to do some fishing and will be bringing a travel rod if anyone has any recommendations on areas to fish along the way.

TIA 
sucker.

I mean... have fun!

If it sucks, I will be sending you this picture.
:lol:

IIRC, it was an easy in and out (so to speak) spot that can be taken in pretty quickly- wasn't an all day thing the way we did (albeit, not on acid) after driving by the decrepit road sign pointing to it after a few days roaming around the Moab area and finally deciding to try it out. I'm curious if it's still as accessible in terms of being able to walk amongst the goblins. 

TIA 
This book is an awesome resource. Highly highly recommend for your trip. It has been invaluable in my planning process.

Fodor's The Complete Guide to the National Parks of the West (Full-color Travel Guide)

July 14-17 Yellowstone

Moab is my favorite place I've ever been to.  I would definitely not recommend cutting the Utah parks.  For me, nothing beats the anticpation I start to feel as I drive into Moab from the north on 191, and it seems like the red rock starts to come up from out of the ground.

Also, hopefully all your accommodations are booked. All of those areas can fill up really fast/early. 

I actually have reminders in my phone to call and make reservations to several areas in March and May of this year for reservations for summer 2019

Moab is my favorite place I've ever been to.  I would definitely not recommend cutting the Utah parks.  For me, nothing beats the anticpation I start to feel as I drive into Moab from the north on 191, and it seems like the red rock starts to come up from out of the ground.
I'm leaning towards keeping the whole itinerary. It may be a lot, but as a one time thing, I think I'd rather plan too much and have to scale back during the trip rather than not plan enough and regret it.

Also, hopefully all your accommodations are booked. All of those areas can fill up really fast/early. 

I actually have reminders in my phone to call and make reservations to several areas in March and May of this year for reservations for summer 2019
Yeah, we missed the boat on the in-park lodge, but I doubt we would've done that anyway. We're staying in a yurt in Page, glamping in Zion, an airstream in Escalante, and a hippie-commune / yoga retreat in Moab. Should be an interesting trip.

You have any specific plans for Arches or Zion?

TIA 
  • Day 1 - South Rim Grand Canyon - We're not hiking here, so what's the best way to see GC by vehicle? Bus tour or drive yourself?  Just park and hike the rim
  • Day 3/4 - Zion NP - Hiking the Narrows for sure, guided or DIY? What else?  Be very careful with weather and you can ask about guide, shuttle, and other intel at outdoor shop as you will need to rent boots and waders.  The full Narrows hike is long, wet and cold.  Angel's Landing is a must.  Observation Point hike is spectacular.
  • Day 4/5 - Escalante - Hiking to Calf Creek Falls.  Cool hike, right off road - Great photo ops.  Consider Bryce (on the way to Escalante) and doing sunset/wall street hike - Only an hour or two and really cool.  Consider guided canyoneering trip with Escursions of Escalante - Rick Green (owner and lead guide) is an absolute stud (discovered most of the slot canyons in the area and heads the search and rescue team) and can create the perfect trip for your group based on age, preferences, fitness etc..
  • Day 6/7 - Moab - Stopping at Goblin Valley SP (pimped hard by @El Floppo in this thread). Doing a desert Jeep tour in Arches. What hikes or other activities in the area? world class mountain biking.  You can also rent one of those Razr buggies and buzz around on slickrock trails.  River rafting too.
  • Day 8 - SLC - Anything to see here? NO. ABSOLUTELY NOT.

• Day 1 - South Rim Grand Canyon - We're not hiking here, so what's the best way to see GC by vehicle? Bus tour or drive yourself?  Just park and hike the rim
  • Day 3/4 - Zion NP - Hiking the Narrows for sure, guided or DIY? What else?  Be very careful with weather and you can ask about guide, shuttle, and other intel at outdoor shop as you will need to rent boots and waders.  The full Narrows hike is long, wet and cold.  Angel's Landing is a must.  Observation Point hike is spectacular.
  • Day 4/5 - Escalante - Hiking to Calf Creek Falls.  Cool hike, right off road - Great photo ops.  Consider Bryce (on the way to Escalante) and doing sunset/wall street hike - Only an hour or two and really cool.  Consider guided canyoneering trip with Escursions of Escalante - Rick Green (owner and lead guide) is an absolute stud (discovered most of the slot canyons in the area and heads the search and rescue team) and can create the perfect trip for your group based on age, preferences, fitness etc..
  • Day 6/7 - Moab - Stopping at Goblin Valley SP (pimped hard by @El Floppo in this thread). Doing a desert Jeep tour in Arches. What hikes or other activities in the area? world class mountain biking.  You can also rent one of those Razr buggies and buzz around on slickrock trails.  River rafting too.
  • Day 8 - SLC - Anything to see here? NO. ABSOLUTELY NOT.
Great stuff! Thanks!  :thumbup:  

Not sure I can do Angels Landing.  :bag:   Reminds me of The Beehive in Acadia NP (didnt make it all the way on that one either).

I thought The Narrows was the quintessential canyoneering hike/trip? You like Escursions of Escalante better? 

Great stuff! Thanks!  :thumbup:  

Not sure I can do Angels Landing.  :bag:   Reminds me of The Beehive in Acadia NP (didnt make it all the way on that one either).

I thought The Narrows was the quintessential canyoneering hike/trip? You like Escursions of Escalante better? 
The Narrows is spectacular and aside from being long and wet, is a must do - I wasn't trying to talk you out of it at all.  The canyoneering around Escalante is more dry, and can involve rappels, and more technical descending/ascending, which makes having a guide pretty important.  It is far less crowded, and gives you the feeling that you are really exploring.  Not better, just very cool in its own way.  If you are canyoned out after Horseshoe and the Narrows, there isn't much else to do in the Escalante area besides Calf Creek, which also has a pretty nice campground although there is a boatload of dispersed (free) camping in the area.

I too am not a big fan of heights/exposure, but Angels Landing has several bail out points so it's not like you ever feel over-committed.  There are chains in all of the steep, technical sections, and incredible photo ops - although I can't remember much of it as I was in such a hurry to get up and down!  If you go, make sure it is early as it gets pretty crowded and backed up at crux points.  In fact, make a point to do your Zion hikes early am and late afternoon/sunset (same with hikes in Arches), as some of the more popular trails get very crowded. Canyon Overlook Trail is a great short hike that can be done late in the day.

Southern Utah is one of my most favorite places on earth and I feel like I've only scratched the surface of things to do.  Have a great time.

Not sure if you have booked places to stay yet, but we rented a small cabin outside of Torrey Utah, which is between Escalante and Moab and near the entrance of Capital Reef.  Cowboy Homestead is run by a retired police officer and his wife - very nice people and clean, quiet cabins. 

Cabins

Drive through Capital reef in the am as it's really pretty and there are pictograph stops right off the road.  I really like the hiking and lack of crowds in Capital Reef, but your itinerary is already pretty jammed up.

I'm also a huge ####ay on heights. Agree that Angel's landing has plenty of hike on switchbacks before it causes anxiety. I'd do it again. Nice thing on Zion is that most of the time is in the valley, not up on a ridge like grand Canyon. 

Users who are viewing this thread