What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Elementary school replaces Halloween with "Black & Orange" Day (1 Viewer)

Fishboy

Footballguy
WTF is this politically correct world coming to?

Black and orange spirit day

Halloween parade cancelled amid concerns over inclusivity.  

Let a kid be a kid.  Halloween has gotten so far from its true meaning and was always awesome as a kid.  

1. Seems like an overreaction for sure.

2. What's the "true meaning" of Halloween? Celebrating the birth of Jesus?
Religious in nature.  Not unlike Christmas, Easter, etc.  All of which have migrated from their religious nature to young kids.  

Halloween is the evening before the Christian holy days of All Hallows' Day (also known as All Saints' or Hallowmas) on 1 November and All Souls' Day on 2 November, thus giving the holiday on 31 October the full name of All Hallows' Eve (meaning the evening before All Hallows' Day).

Religious in nature.  Not unlike Christmas, Easter, etc.  All of which have migrated from their religious nature to young kids.  

Halloween is the evening before the Christian holy days of All Hallows' Day (also known as All Saints' or Hallowmas) on 1 November and All Souls' Day on 2 November, thus giving the holiday on 31 October the full name of All Hallows' Eve (meaning the evening before All Hallows' Day).
Wait, you think kids dressing up as Groot and college girls going out as slutty zombies is religious?

My kid’s elementary school does “dress up as your favorite book character”. No mention of Halloween.

I think the costume thing is tough for schools. In high school we deal with lots of inappropriate costumes. In elementary, I wouldn't expect that too much. However, I think ideas about what is an appropriate costume have shifted a bit. It's best to avoid a costume that could be perceived stereotyping or mocking another culture. It's probably a bit overboard but it's always best to be conservative when dealing with people's feelings. 

WTF is this politically correct world coming to?

Black and orange spirit day

Halloween parade cancelled amid concerns over inclusivity.  

Let a kid be a kid.  Halloween has gotten so far from its true meaning and was always awesome as a kid.  
Halloween is all about getting as much candy as possible and your kid either eating it til he pukes or you waiting until he goes to bed so you can raid his stash, I don't think there's much more to it than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fishboy said:

:lmao:

Fishboy said:

It's not Christian at all. It's a pagan holiday that was absorbed much like thanksgiving. All related to worshipping and influencing the world of the dead and the harvest. Christmas too.

I had a co-worker once who wouldn't let her kids celebrate Halloween due to her religious convictions.  I will never understand that. Why ostracize children because of a belief system?

I had a co-worker once who wouldn't let her kids celebrate Halloween due to her religious convictions.  I will never understand that. Why ostracize children because of a belief system?
Because said belief system is obviously the only correct one? And Halloween has to do with the Devil, and candy is sin!

Ilov80s said:
I think the costume thing is tough for schools. In high school we deal with lots of inappropriate costumes. In elementary, I wouldn't expect that too much. However, I think ideas about what is an appropriate costume have shifted a bit. It's best to avoid a costume that could be perceived stereotyping or mocking another culture. It's probably a bit overboard but it's always best to be conservative when dealing with people's feelings. 
Yeah our kids can only dress up in K and 1st grade

This is stupid. However, when I taught, they told students for Halloween that they could dress up, but had a ton of rules that pretty much kept all but the most basic of costumes out of school. The last thing high school boys and girls need is the opposite (or same, it happens more now) gender being even more of a distraction to each other.

On the show "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" the family of witches has a cat named Salem.

That would be like a Jewish family having a cat named Auschwitz.

OrtonToOlsen said:
Wait, you think kids dressing up as Groot and college girls going out as slutty zombies is religious?
:yes:

This is stupid. However, when I taught, they told students for Halloween that they could dress up, but had a ton of rules that pretty much kept all but the most basic of costumes out of school. The last thing high school boys and girls need is the opposite (or same, it happens more now) gender being even more of a distraction to each other.
Yoga pants day.

It is now called the Fall Festival at my daughter's middle school--- no masks or any type of face make up are allowed. 

Just stupid how much fun is being stripped from our kid's lives in the name of being PC or offending someone. 

It's not Christian at all. It's a pagan holiday that was absorbed much like thanksgiving. All related to worshipping and influencing the world of the dead and the harvest. Christmas too.
Pretty sure George Washington established the first Thanksgiving, but it was many decades later before Thanksgiving was made a permanent national holiday when Lincoln established it as a permanent holiday in 1863. It was not absorbed by Christians. In fact, it has been de-Christianized (I know, not a word). It was supposed to be a day of giving thanks to the almighty for taking care of America prior to the revolution and delivering the nation and its people independence. Lincoln declared it a yearly holiday and had this as part of the proclimation:

I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens.
Seems we have strayed a bit from that original intent considering Thanksgiving is now about a parade, football and turkey.

So I guess the absorbing of the holidays can work both ways.  

It is now called the Fall Festival at my daughter's middle school--- no masks or any type of face make up are allowed. 

Just stupid how much fun is being stripped from our kid's lives in the name of being PC or offending someone. 
And it's only going to get worse. This is the sort of thing that tells me that eventually there will be a call to have Washington and Jefferson stripped from currency because they owned slaves. It sounds nuts, but we are just keep seeing more and more of this crazy stuff happening. 

my wife teaches 1st grade at our local elementary school. They just got a new, young principal and she met with him and asked if he could green light costumes on Halloween. After countless years of no costumes, he agreed and they are having a parade and everything. Community support on the FB group was very positive. Lets hope it continues  each year, just feel bad b/c my daughter just leveled out of that school and is now in middle school. 

What got to me was my daughter and her whole student council wanted to go as zombies, but the school says they can't wear any type of white make up or fake blood on their faces. 

So my daughter pointed out that all they're going to look like is staggering homeless people with their torn ragged clothes-- which my daughter in her smart ### way noted that now they could be deemed offensive to homeless people with the way they are dressed. 

my wife teaches 1st grade at our local elementary school. They just got a new, young principal and she met with him and asked if he could green light costumes on Halloween. After countless years of no costumes, he agreed and they are having a parade and everything. Community support on the FB group was very positive. Lets hope it continues  each year, just feel bad b/c my daughter just leveled out of that school and is now in middle school. 
GB this principal.  This is the way it SHOULD be. 

If you don't want to participate, just wear normal clothes, but you also don't get any of the candy. 

We still allow Halloween dressing up in high school but the no mask rule and limited make-up holds. That isn't about being PC. It's about safety. We don't want people who can't be identified in the building. Also I am surprised they still do it just because of the train wreck it causes for the office dealing with the girl's "costumes". 

Last edited by a moderator:
We still allow Halloween dressing up in high school but the no mask rule and limited make-up holds. That isn't about being PC. It's about safety. We don't want people who can't be identified in the building. Also I am surprised they still do it just because of the train wreck it causes for the office dealing with the girl's "costumes". 
High school I totally understand, as with one in college and the other in HS, I'm amazed at some of the attire I saw just on a normal day.  Makes some of the slutty Halloween costumes seem mild. 

This is elementary school.  This is the holiday for kids and candy. 

Users who are viewing this thread