What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looking to trade Christian McCaffrey (1 Viewer)

wheeleke

Footballguy
Pending tonight's game, I'll move to either 4-3 or 3-4 on the season after a blazing 1-3 start to the year. Play in a 10-team, 2 QB, .5 PPR league. Can't decide what the value is of Christian McCaffrey. He's a PPR stud because of the amount of targets/receptions he gets but his efficiency is very bad both in terms of yds./carry and yds./reception. My roster is as follows:

QB - Philip Rivers, Kirk Cousins

RB - Jay Ajayi, Alvin Kamara, Christian McCaffrey, Aaron Jones, David Johnson

WR - Michael Thomas, DeAndre Hopkins, Pierre Garcon, Davante Adams, Corey Davis

TE: Jimmy Graham

K: Matt Bryant

DEF: Jacksonville, Philadelphia (while Jacksonville is on bye in Week 8)

Trying to assess what my needs are. Need to roster a 3rd QB with Rivers' bye coming up in Week 9 and would feel more comfortable with a solid 3rd WR or RB I can use now that Aaron Jones has probably graduated to RB2 status after yesterday's game.

Anyone you would shoot for? Teams that are RB deficient in our league has some of the following WRs available:

Demaryius Thomas, Kelvin Benjamin, Stefon Diggs, Sterling Shepard, Doug Baldwin, Adam Theilen, Michael Crabtree, and Dez Bryant. Thanks!

DThomas - NO - not worth trading for.  Too hit or miss with Siemian
Benjamin - NO - same as Thomas, too hit or miss with good Cam/bad Cam
Diggs - MAYBE - intriguing, wish we knew how serious this groin is, or if he's truly week to week and returning soon
Shepard - NO - oof.  Pass.  He's not a #1 WR, and he's being asked to be one.  He'll have a good game somewhere but a lot of duds on his horizon
Baldwin - YES - this would be my target if I were you.  I think he returns to WR2 status in the second half of the year
Theilen - MAYBE - lots of targets, good yardage, no TDs.  Going to be hit/miss as Keenum goes and take a hit when Diggs returns
Crabtree -  MAYBE - he gets lots of targets, seems to be almost the go-to guy in the clutch, but damn the Raiders are a hit or miss offense this year. 
Dez - YES - easy schedule the rest of the way and Dak is playing very very well lately. Not a huge volume guy every week though, but in 1/2 pt PPR its not a dealbreaker

How many WRs can you start?  If it's not 4 or more, then no sense in trading for a MAYBE since they're almost the same thing as Garcon, your current WR3, and you'd be depleting your RB depth for little to no gain. 

I'd almost rather see you try and package CMC with Garcon or Adams for an AJ Green or Mike Evans type WR, or for a Freeman or Gordon type RB if there's an owner out there who's got a stud but deficient at the other position. 

Last edited by a moderator:
DThomas - NO - not worth trading for.  Too hit or miss with Siemian
Benjamin - NO - same as Thomas, too hit or miss with good Cam/bad Cam
Diggs - MAYBE - intriguing, wish we knew how serious this groin is, or if he's truly week to week and returning soon
Shepard - NO - oof.  Pass.  He's not a #1 WR, and he's being asked to be one.  He'll have a good game somewhere but a lot of duds on his horizon
Baldwin - YES - this would be my target if I were you.  I think he returns to WR2 status in the second half of the year
Theilen - MAYBE - lots of targets, good yardage, no TDs.  Going to be hit/miss as Keenum goes and take a hit when Diggs returns
Crabtree -  MAYBE - he gets lots of targets, seems to be almost the go-to guy in the clutch, but damn the Raiders are a hit or miss offense this year. 
Dez - YES - easy schedule the rest of the way and Dak is playing very very well lately. Not a huge volume guy every week though, but in 1/2 pt PPR its not a dealbreaker

How many WRs can you start?  If it's not 4 or more, then no sense in trading for a MAYBE since they're almost the same thing as Garcon, your current WR3, and you'd be depleting your RB depth for little to no gain. 

I'd almost rather see you try and package CMC with Garcon or Adams for an AJ Green or Mike Evans type WR, or for a Freeman or Gordon type RB if there's an owner out there who's got a stud but deficient at the other position. 
Thanks for the thoughtful answer. Actually going through some options right now. The owner of this team that I"m considering trading with has the following team:

QB - Wilson, Carr, Hundley, Goff

RB - Lynch, Gordon, Alex Collins, Chris Thompson, Orleans Darkwa

WR - Baldwin, Theilen, Fitzgerald, Amendola

TE - Sefarian-Jenkins

K - Justin Tucker

DEF - Carolina

We start 2 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, Flex (RB/WR/TE), K, and DEF. Was looking at packaging Rivers, Garcon, and McCaffrey for Baldwin and Wilson. Rivers has a bye coming up in Week 9.

Garcon is a more reliable PPR play than I think people may realize bc of his volume, but he seems to be struggling a bit since Beathard took over from Hoyer, he's miscast as the #1 WR on his team and still has matchups with Patrick Peterson, Sherman/Thomas, Janoris Jenkins, and Jalen Ramsey on his schedule. Thinking about it more now (talking myself into it!) I'm good with dealing him for an upgrade now while you can.  The trade boils down to:  Is CMC worth the price to upgrade Rivers to Wilson, and upgrade Garcon to Baldwin?  I say yes.  I'd try to do that deal if I were you.  

Garcon is a more reliable PPR play than I think people may realize bc of his volume, but he seems to be struggling a bit since Beathard took over from Hoyer, he's miscast as the #1 WR on his team and still has matchups with Patrick Peterson, Sherman/Thomas, Janoris Jenkins, and Jalen Ramsey on his schedule. Thinking about it more now (talking myself into it!) I'm good with dealing him for an upgrade now while you can.  The trade boils down to:  Is CMC worth the price to upgrade Rivers to Wilson, and upgrade Garcon to Baldwin?  I say yes.  I'd try to do that deal if I were you.  
The more I give some thought to this, I find it better to make a move for a RB. Trying to use CMC and Garcon to upgrade to a RB would probably be wiser, especially considering the upside of Corey Davis and that it might be easier to find or trade for WR help than RB help.

Let's say I trade McCaffrey, my play-able RBs are Ajayi (who's an RB2), Aaron Jones (RB2), and Kamara (RB2). What if I tried to trade for a lower-end RB1/high end RB2, who qualifies as such? Lamar Miller? Jordan Howard? Carlos Hyde? There is one team that is rostering all three of those RBs. If I get Miller, I could at least pick up Foreman off waivers. I'm also tempted to make an offer for Gordon.

The roster with Gordon I've already posted but here it is again. I'll also include the roster of the guy with Miller, Howard, and Hyde.

Team 1: Could package Garcon, Kamara, and McCaffrey for Gordon and Theilen

QB - Wilson, Carr, Hundley, Goff

RB - Lynch, Gordon, Alex Collins, Chris Thompson, Orleans Darkwa

WR - Baldwin, Theilen, Fitzgerald, Amendola

TE - Sefarian-Jenkins

K - Justin Tucker

DEF - Carolina

Team 2: Could package Garcon and McCaffrey for Howard or Miller

QB - Alex Smith, Newton, Cutler

RB - Howard, Miller, Hyde, Breida

WR - Keenan Allen, Alshon Jeffery, Nelson Agholor, Sammy Watkins, Marvin Jones

TE - Travis Kelce, Austin Hooper

K - Will Lutz

DEF - Denver

I doubt the Team 1 owner would go for that offer, as Gordon is his best RB and he'd just be trading his only RB1 for two RB2s.  Theilen and Garcon are basically the same thing right now...slight edge to Theilen maybe.  So from the other guys perspective, he's trading his stud RB1 for two RB2s (and he's already got 2 of those), and just swapping low end WR2s...not worth it to him.  

As for Team 2, I think Hyde would probably be your realistic target, but feel free to start with Howard as the target, as his owner may be panicked a bit after his poor showing against Carolina last week. I'd go for Howard, Hyde, Miller in that order, but realizing that Hyde or Miller are probably what he'd be willing to part with without getting a big piece back. Garcon and CMC for Miller is overpaying, for that I'd shoot for Hyde. But even then, he probably has no use for Garcon in that deal.

Here's what I'd do.  I'd shoot for Team 2, and offer him Hopkins and CMC for Howard & Agholor, and I would try to convince him with this:  1 - Hopkins becomes arguably his best receiver, maybe even with Allen, and 2 - it gives him a way to avoid having to start Jeffery and Agholor both every week.   If you like Hopkins better than Michael Thomas and want to swap them then that's fine too.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt the Team 1 owner would go for that offer, as Gordon is his best RB and he'd just be trading his only RB1 for two RB2s.  Theilen and Garcon are basically the same thing right now...slight edge to Theilen maybe.  So from the other guys perspective, he's trading his stud RB1 for two RB2s (and he's already got 2 of those), and just swapping low end WR2s...not worth it to him.  

As for Team 2, I think Hyde would probably be your realistic target, but feel free to start with Howard as the target, as his owner may be panicked a bit after his poor showing against Carolina last week. I'd go for Howard, Hyde, Miller in that order, but realizing that Hyde or Miller are probably what he'd be willing to part with without getting a big piece back. Garcon and CMC for Miller is overpaying, for that I'd shoot for Hyde. But even then, he probably has no use for Garcon in that deal.

Here's what I'd do.  I'd shoot for Team 2, and offer him Hopkins and CMC for Howard & Agholor, and I would try to convince him with this:  1 - Hopkins becomes arguably his best receiver, maybe even with Allen, and 2 - it gives him a way to avoid having to start Jeffery and Agholor both every week.   If you like Hopkins better than Michael Thomas and want to swap them then that's fine too.  
I saw that Miller has 3rd easiest remaining schedule for RBs, is tied to a better offense with a QB that opens up passing lanes, and they rank 3rd in rushing attempts per game. I would rather offer CMC, Garcon, and Adams for Miller and Jeffery and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread