What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Computer-monitor help (1 Viewer)

Copeman

Footballguy
I recently added a new video card to my pc.  It has a DVI-I dual link on it.  All I have is a VGA line, so I put an adapter on it. Now, the monitor has both a VGA and a DVI-D on it.  Do I need an adapter for that end as well?  Right now I just have it plugged into the VGA, and it after a while the screen will go black like it loses signal or something.

monitors are so cheap now that the answer is always go get a new monitor take that to the sad but true bank bromigo

I recently added a new video card to my pc.  It has a DVI-I dual link on it.  All I have is a VGA line, so I put an adapter on it. Now, the monitor has both a VGA and a DVI-D on it.  Do I need an adapter for that end as well?  Right now I just have it plugged into the VGA, and it after a while the screen will go black like it loses signal or something.
I'd recommend buying the DVI cable and giving that a shot.  Shouldn't cost too much especially from a place like monoprice.com.

ETA: you shouldn't need a second adapter to go back to DVI, so something is not working right.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd recommend buying the DVI cable and giving that a shot.  Shouldn't cost too much especially from a place like monoprice.com.

ETA: you shouldn't need a second adapter to go back to DVI, so something is not working right.
I'm not familiar with these DVI cables.  Is one end DVI-I and the other end DVI-D?

cord will cost half as much as a new monitor buy a new monitor you monster take that to the bank 

cord will cost half as much as a new monitor buy a new monitor you monster take that to the bank 
I had to fight her for the video card, won't be able to put up a fight for a new monitor as well.

Ok, My awesome IT guy just gave me a cord, but it is DVI-D single link on both ends.  He said it will still work, even though the video card and monitor both are dual links (one is I, other is D).  Can anyone confirm if that's true?

Ok, My awesome IT guy just gave me a cord, but it is DVI-D single link on both ends.  He said it will still work, even though the video card and monitor both are dual links (one is I, other is D).  Can anyone confirm if that's true?
Yes it should work.  The -D carries just a digital signal, the -I carries both a digital and an analog signal.   The I just has a couple of extra pins that plug in to the spot to get the analog.

So using the D cable, you'll get the digital signal sent and received, which should be all you need.  The analog would only be used if it was an older monitor that doesn't support digital at all, like a CRT display.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it should work.  The -D carries just a digital signal, the -I carries both a digital and an analog signal.   The I just has a couple of extra pins that plug in to the spot to get the analog.

So using the D cable, you'll get the digital signal sent and received, which should be all you need.  The analog would only be used if it was an older monitor that doesn't support digital at all, like a CRT display.
Great, thank you.

Can I piggyback onto this thread? My monitor recently starting acting up. When I put my PC to sleep and then wake it up the monitor will not connect. It just says no signal. Only thing I can do is hard reboot my PC by pressing the power button. Startup then triggers the monitor to connect. It's a huge PITA. Any thoughts on a fix?

Can I piggyback onto this thread? My monitor recently starting acting up. When I put my PC to sleep and then wake it up the monitor will not connect. It just says no signal. Only thing I can do is hard reboot my PC by pressing the power button. Startup then triggers the monitor to connect. It's a huge PITA. Any thoughts on a fix?
Check your settings on both the computer and monitor regarding sleep/standby/hibernation modes.

Hmm.  You got me.

If no one here can help, try posting it at tomshardware.com. They are pretty savvy there.

Hmm.  You got me.

If no one here can help, try posting it at tomshardware.com. They are pretty savvy there.
Greg, also regarding my above issue, would having the DVI connector connected to my video card and the vga connected to the monitor, would that cause the monitor to lose signal and go dark?  Its still on, but the power button is blinking, the screen is black, and the computer is still running.

Greg, also regarding my above issue, would having the DVI connector connected to my video card and the vga connected to the monitor, would that cause the monitor to lose signal and go dark?  Its still on, but the power button is blinking, the screen is black, and the computer is still running.
Not sure if I followed.  If the computer and monitor both have DVI plugs, and the cable has DVI on both ends, just use those.  Shouldn't need a VGA plug if so. Not unless you're hooking something else up to it also.

Not sure if I followed.  If the computer and monitor both have DVI plugs, and the cable has DVI on both ends, just use those.  Shouldn't need a VGA plug if so. Not unless you're hooking something else up to it also.
That's what I plan on doing, but currently I am having issues where the monitor will go black.  I currently have a vga cord with DVI adapter plugged into video card, and the other end of the vga plugged into he vga port on the monitor.  Would that cause the issue of the monitor going black?

That's what I plan on doing, but currently I am having issues where the monitor will go black.  I currently have a vga cord with DVI adapter plugged into video card, and the other end of the vga plugged into he vga port on the monitor.  Would that cause the issue of the monitor going black?
Yeah, I really don't know if that could cause it or not.

Users who are viewing this thread