What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Amari Cooper owners...Have faith? starting or benching? (1 Viewer)

xenon

Footballguy
Just curious what other Amari Cooper owners are doing and whether you have faith or not and who you are starting him over (or starting over him) at this juncture of the season and given the season he's had which really amounts to one good game.

I don't.

Pats D is slowly improving. Gilmore is healthy and looked studly blanketing D. Thomas last week.

I don't expect a Bill B. pass D, now in November where they always find a way to improve, to let Cooper get deep. Nope.

There is shootout appeal (although if OAK is smart they try and pound Lynch), but I don't see this as a Cooper ceiling game.

Right now I'm debating both Cooper and D. Parker in the flex.

Depends on who draws Gilmore. I think Carr will rack up the yards between the 20s and whoever Butler is on will have a 100+ day. 

I have no expectations at this point. I have to start Cooper as I really don't have a better option. Corey Davis is not there yet, and if it were not for the DeShaun Watson injury--who knows I might have had Fuller this week. I have Fuchess on bye. Unless someone can throw me a Hail Mary Pickup better than Cooper, looks like I am stuck.

Have to pick 2 between D. Thomas vs. CIN, R. Woods vs. MIN, and Cooper.  Leaning Cooper's way based on matchup, but would have him out if the matchups were equal.

Have to pick 2 between D. Thomas vs. CIN, R. Woods vs. MIN, and Cooper.  Leaning Cooper's way based on matchup, but would have him out if the matchups were equal.
Similar boat but with Dez added to the mix.  I'm going with D.Thomas and R.Woods this week.  I don't trust Cooper any more and Bryant is due for that erratic game he always seems to have this time of year.

Starting Cooper ROS regardless of matchup.  Not going to have him on the bench when he goes for 40.  I was lucky and benched him during his early season slump, and started him the game he went off.  Have started him every game since, and while average he hasn't stunk it up.

For me he was drafted as my #1WR and now is my #4WR in my flex.  If he gets 10 points I'm happy, if he gets 40 he will win me the game.  Anything between those two are gravy IMHO.

Agree.

Don't see MN allowing one of those short screens or letting him deep to the house.

Especially if X. Rhodes is on him.
Woods should be matched up mostly against Trae Waynes who is terrible. And the Rams have scored the most points in the NFL on the road this season.

However I would still start Cooper over Woods no question.

I have the same options - Cooper or Woods.  I was leaning Cooper until hearing that Woods is not likely to draw Rhoades.  Woods has been so hot recently, I feel like you gotta get him in your lineups.  Cooper has not been trustworthy, and the team is borderline dumpster fire.  I'm still on the fence, but think Cooper has to earn his way back into the lineup.

I don't.

Pats D is slowly improving. Gilmore is healthy and looked studly blanketing D. Thomas last week.

I don't expect a Bill B. pass D, now in November where they always find a way to improve, to let Cooper get deep. Nope.

There is shootout appeal (although if OAK is smart they try and pound Lynch), but I don't see this as a Cooper ceiling game.

Right now I'm debating both Cooper and D. Parker in the flex.
This is a good point, but at the same time he's been getting a lot of targets the past 3 weeks. I'm trying to decide between Cooper and Marvin  :kicksrock:

Copper is just a name at,this point his production is disappointing outside of the KC game....woods n goff are super hot right now. Ride it i say

Unless your other options are all top 15 WR, you really have to start him.. if you're starting a low floor boom or bust player over him you're crazy

Starting either parker or lee over him.  Would rather the 15 points those guys will get me than hopefor a big game from cooper only to get 7.5

Starting either parker or lee over him.  Would rather the 15 points those guys will get me than hopefor a big game from cooper only to get 7.5
I mean if you think those guys are a lock for 15 sure do it. But I'd take the under on that all day. Without looking I can't imagine they have had more than two 15+ games each all year. 

Who does Butler cover? Crabtree or Cooper? Whoever he does is going to have 100+ yards and at least one score.

Starting in most places, but not all.

I am not at all confident he has a 20 point PPR type of game. I am fairly confident, based on his target load and chance Oakland has to pass more often, that he won't just utterly crap out. Also no idea what's wrong with his leg that causes him to miss practice but the extra week of rest can't hurt.

One more thought, and this is for sure not a great reason to make the call to start him, but if you are on the fence consider he was on bye last week and gets Denver next week. Denver D has slipped big time, I personally believe because they are tired and playing from behind to often, but I still would rate Denver as the second most difficult fantasy matchup for a WR right now, for sure most would agree not a good matchup for a WR still. So now if you don't start Cooper against NE it seems you likely won't trust him against Denver. So now you are looking at no Cooper in your lineup weeks 10-12. And maybe that's a good thing with the way he has produced most weeks but I don't like that thought myself.

It depends on who else is on the roster. If your bench is thin, you likely have no choice but to start him. Similar to last week's matchup between Denver and NE, someone is going to go off like Sanders did. My money is on Crabtree. I think Bill bottles up Cooper. I'd go with Parker. 

Pats hold him to 3-27, and then trade for him in 2 years and make him all pro. Seems like a Pats move. 

Currently playing him over Shepherd this week. 

I mean if you think those guys are a lock for 15 sure do it. But I'd take the under on that all day. Without looking I can't imagine they have had more than two 15+ games each all year. 
Lee has scored 17.5 and 16.5 the last two weeks and is averaging 14 over the last four weeks.  Fairer point about Parker.  He hasn't grabbed a TD since week 2 and has been getting 8-9 points since being back.  Think he grabs a TD this weekend against TB, who is ranked 29th against WR's.

Lee has scored 17.5 and 16.5 the last two weeks and is averaging 14 over the last four weeks.  Fairer point about Parker.  He hasn't grabbed a TD since week 2 and has been getting 8-9 points since being back.  Think he grabs a TD this weekend against TB, who is ranked 29th against WR's.
Ah, so you are saying Lee is due to regress to the mean. ;)

I think for sure you could play him over Cooper and feel fine if Coop goes off. Shoot, I was was trying to trade for him last week in dynasty. No dice. Parker though? Meh. He's the new Moncrief. Getting credit for #### he hasn't done yet.

PS

I'll still take the under on Lee. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Miami's OC just called out Parker. Not sure if that's good or bad.

McCourty on Lee could be a problem. He's lockdown for CLE.

Cooper should get targets. Just can't picture him getting deep on BB. Maybe earlier in the year, but not now. 

I'm torn on Parker vs. Cooper myself. Leaning Cooper for a couple reasons:

* Higher Over/Under

*  Better QB

* Pats could score 50. Gut tells me the go fast pace in high altitude...and they've been out there a while due to Denver game. Would be BB style to think of this. Catch up mode.

* Less team risk (i.e. OAK less likely to implode on the field vs. Miami).

Miami's OC just called out Parker. Not sure if that's good or bad.

McCourty on Lee could be a problem. He's lockdown for CLE.

Cooper should get targets. Just can't picture him getting deep on BB. Maybe earlier in the year, but not now. 

I'm torn on Parker vs. Cooper myself. Leaning Cooper for a couple reasons:

* Higher Over/Under

*  Better QB

* Pats could score 50. Gut tells me the go fast pace in high altitude...and they've been out there a while due to Denver game. Would be BB style to think of this. Catch up mode.

* Less team risk (i.e. OAK less likely to implode on the field vs. Miami).
I'm a Pats homer - hell, I'll actually be at the game Sunday in CDMX - and I'm starting Cooper with confidence. I think he goes for 100+. Not sure the TDs will be there as Pats have been pretty money in the RZ. But I see this game unfolding a lot like Denver, Pats get up 17-3 or something and cruise to cushy lead allowing Carr to rack up the garbage stats. Something that if Brock were better he could have done last week.

This will be followed by people saying "Well, yeah they only gave up 17 to Oakland but they let Carr throw for 400 yards ...." as if people have never seen a BB defense before.

Last edited by a moderator:
No way, your chasing points 
At this point in the season in PPR Woods has outscored Cooper 5 out of 8 weeks they've both played.  In PPR he's scored in double figures 6 out of his last 7 games while Cooper has hit that number twice all season.  If anybody is chasing points its the people starting Cooper due to expectations after he had that one huge game.  Since then he caught 5 of 10 targets for 48 yards and 4 of 9 for 58 yards.  That game and week 1 are the only times he's topped 60 yards and the only two games he's caught a TD.  Even Wood's teammate Cooper Kupp has outscored Cooper 5 times and matched it once in 8 weeks.

This is a good point, but at the same time he's been getting a lot of targets the past 3 weeks. I'm trying to decide between Cooper and Marvin  :kicksrock:
He's gotten targets all year, he just failed to reel in more than half of them.  He's 11th among WR's in targets but 21st in receptions and 34th in yards.   

Ah, so you are saying Lee is due to regress to the mean. ;)

I think for sure you could play him over Cooper and feel fine if Coop goes off. Shoot, I was was trying to trade for him last week in dynasty. No dice. Parker though? Meh. He's the new Moncrief. Getting credit for #### he hasn't done yet.

PS

I'll still take the under on Lee. 
In PPR Parker has scored in double figures every week he's played other than the one he got hurt.  Cooper has hit double figures twice all season and your line of getting credit for #### he hasn't done describes Cooper as well.  He has not turned into the #1 fantasy WR we thought he was.  He can't catch the damn ball, even on his huge week it took 19 targets for him to get his 11 catches.  Parker has provided a much higher floor this season for sure.  Cooper has had a healthy stretch where he went 7, 1, 2, 1, 7 points in PPR despite getting 26 targets in those games.  As for Lee, of the 8 weeks they've both played he's outscored Cooper on 6 of them.

Unless your other options are all top 15 WR, you really have to start him.. if you're starting a low floor boom or bust player over him you're crazy
Low floor boom or bust player is exactly what Cooper has been all year.  He's had 2 good weeks out of 9.  Every other week you could have picked up some waiver wire fodder to start over him and had a great chance to eclipse his production.  3 games at 2 or fewer points and that is in PPR, they were goose eggs in my non-PPR leagues. 

Men-in-Cleats said:
He's gotten targets all year, he just failed to reel in more than half of them.  He's 11th among WR's in targets but 21st in receptions and 34th in yards.   
Not really. Here are his target numbers: 13-5-5-8-2-6-19-10-9

So like I said, the past 3 weeks have seen a bump. I'm not saying he hasn't struggled with the targets he's gotten or he doesn't have a lot of total targets. Just that he's been trending up.

Not really. Here are his target numbers: 13-5-5-8-2-6-19-10-9

So like I said, the past 3 weeks have seen a bump. I'm not saying he hasn't struggled with the targets he's gotten or he doesn't have a lot of total targets. Just that he's been trending up.
He has a big game so they funnel more targets his way.  If he doesn't start doing something with those targets they will throw elsewhere again.  On those 10 and 9 targets he got 48 and 58 yards.  He's gone over 60 yards twice in 9 games. 

He has a big game so they funnel more targets his way.  If he doesn't start doing something with those targets they will throw elsewhere again.  On those 10 and 9 targets he got 48 and 58 yards.  He's gone over 60 yards twice in 9 games. 
Like I keep saying, I'm not trying to imply he hasn't been struggling and underperforming. I was simply pointing out that the last 3 weeks have indicated an increase in usage. I don't want to start him. I've got lots of other good options, but this matchup and that trend are pretty enticing.

Like I keep saying, I'm not trying to imply he hasn't been struggling and underperforming. I was simply pointing out that the last 3 weeks have indicated an increase in usage. I don't want to start him. I've got lots of other good options, but this matchup and that trend are pretty enticing.
That I can agree with.  I don't doubt he has another big game left this year or multiple ones, I just don't think you'll be able to predict when they will happen and there will be major league duds mixed in with them.  My biggest point of contention was with the guy who said you'd be crazy to start a low ceiling boom or bust player over him when that is EXACTLY what he's been for the entire season thus far.  He could certainly go on a run to close the season but I wouldn't want to rely on it.  Guys like this are the type that throw out a dud in the first round of the playoffs and help you get booted and then go off the next week when it doesn't count anymore. 

That I can agree with.  I don't doubt he has another big game left this year or multiple ones, I just don't think you'll be able to predict when they will happen and there will be major league duds mixed in with them.  My biggest point of contention was with the guy who said you'd be crazy to start a low ceiling boom or bust player over him when that is EXACTLY what he's been for the entire season thus far.  He could certainly go on a run to close the season but I wouldn't want to rely on it.  Guys like this are the type that throw out a dud in the first round of the playoffs and help you get booted and then go off the next week when it doesn't count anymore. 
Yeah, like if I had him on my team and I was facing Antonio Brown this week, I'd probably start Cooper because I would need upside to offset Brown's 40+ point game. If my opponent put up duds on Thursday then I'd probably sit Cooper and play it safe.

I may be stacking Carr and Cooper. Gulp.

I'm starting to come around to the idea that Cooper's floor isn't as bad as it was earlier this year. The targets have been there lately. If we all believe that the game script will either be OAK slugging it out in a high scoring, closely contested game OR a trying to play catchup to NE's offense, the targets should be there and more so.

Carr also did well in Mexico City last year.

It's crunch time for me. Need to swing for the fences.

Going Cooper over D. Parker.

I could see playing Cooper over Diggs.  Both are probably decent enough plays, but you could argue that Cooper has the more favorable matchup.  I have Diggs in one league and am considering sitting him this week due to matchup.

Users who are viewing this thread