What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Courtland Sutton, DEN (1 Viewer)

I have a selfish hope that Sutton will have a quiet game tonight, as I would like a fighting chance of landing him with one of my late first round rookie draft picks.

Sutton had one catch on a comeback route against Marcus Sherels, he got tackled right away though.

I haven't really noticed him otherwise, not sure how much he has been on the field.

Wish fulfilled. I now stand a much better chance of being in a position where I can draft Sutton.

Last edited by a moderator:
Courtland Sutton turned his lone target into a 16-yard touchdown catch Saturday in the Broncos’ second preseason game against the Bears.

Sutton was on the field for 22 snaps, all of which came in the first half. His touchdown came late in the second quarter on a 16-yard slant from Chad Kelly. Sutton made a nice cut inside, beating Kevin Toliver for the score. He also drew a 45-yard pass interference penalty. The second-round rookie has been a standout at training camp and should open the year as Denver’s No. 3 wideout behind veterans Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders.

Aug 19 - 1:01 PM

Courtland Sutton hauled in 3-of-3 targets for 45 yards in the Broncos' third preseason game.

Playing as an almost every-down player, Sutton was targeted on three of Case Keenum's 18 passes, and his 45 yards was second among the starters. It is possible Sutton struggles for consistent targets with Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders ahead of him on the depth chart, but he has clearly established himself as the No. 3 receiver. He is worth a pick in the later rounds.

Aug 24 - 9:41 PM

he was covered by Josh Norman on at least 2 of those catches, one of which was a 50/50 ball where he just abused Norman on the right sideline
The 50-50 was a back shoulder. Good throw, but it just looked so easy for Sutton. Norman had no chance.

Could be scary good after he gets adjusted to the NFL.

I dropped Dez for this dude. Figure they might be the same player, all things considered, learning curve etc, except Dez is frail and Sutton will get better. I made this decision because of this thread. I also own DT. 

Maybe you’ll get your wish Monday night vs. the Chiefs.  Butt going to IR makes me think Sutton will get more targets, so I picked him up and am considering rolling the dice this week.

Dropped him for Boyd.  Don't think it's happening this year.   Could be way wrong.  Live in Denver, and not much buzz since preseason.
Feeling the same. Which tbh I’m kinda glad about so I can grab him late next year since I missed him this year. 

Next year is the year. He's getting good reps this year but next year he is possibly the #1. They need to keep either Sanders or Thomas.

Other question is - who will be throwing him the ball? Can’t imagine Keenum is still around so Kelly is next man up?

i foresee reaching fairly high for him. And I don’t like to normally reach. 

Courtland Sutton - WR -  Broncos

Courtland Sutton caught 3-of-6 targets for 51 yards in the Broncos' Week 4 loss to the Chiefs.

Sutton's two big plays were a 42-yard grab deep down the right sideline in the first half then a lengthy defensive pass interference call to set up Phillip Lindsay's eventual one-yard touchdown run. Sutton has arguably been better than Demaryius Thomas through four games but remains just a stash.

Oct 2 - 12:06 AM

I’m not so sure I’ve ever been more confident about a young WR becoming a stud (barring injury).

A better QB would help, but Sutton is going to be big-time (sooner or later), IMO.

Still mad he was taken so early in our draft. He was my #1 futures target and my buddy had to go and reach for him and now refuses to trade him. Really interested in seeing what the Broncos do this offseason. 

Next year is the year. He's getting good reps this year but next year he is possibly the #1. They need to keep either Sanders or Thomas. I would like to see Chad Kelly in there as well. 

Courtland Sutton caught 1-of-3 targets for a 28-yard touchdown in the Broncos' Week 7 win over the Cardinals.

Sutton's touchdown came on a first quarter trick play. Emmanuel Sanders took a toss on a reverse and found a wide-open Sutton. Sanders nearly overthrew the pass, but Sutton laid out to make a spectacular catch. The rookie has now scored in 2-of-3 games. Although his limited usage is mostly keeping him off the fantasy radar, Sutton will have WR4 appeal against the Chiefs in Week 8.

Oct 19 - 12:15 AM

Next year is the year. He's getting good reps this year but next year he is possibly the #1. They need to keep either Sanders or Thomas. I would like to see Chad Kelly in there as well. 
Agreed. Totally overlooked this guy because I didn't like his situation.

But every time I watch a Broncos game, he's making a big play. Will definitely get a few shares of this guy next year, he's the heir apparent to many targets and touchdowns in Denver.

Still looks like he's got a ways to go. Tight coverage on him every time I saw him last night and he's not drawing the mega-star CBs. Definitely like his situation for next year, as I also agree DT is a likely cut with a 17.5M cap hit and only 3.5M dead cap. I can see why there's excitement for him but also why so many teams let him slide by and into round 2. 

Flying Elvis said:
Still looks like he's got a ways to go. Tight coverage on him every time I saw him last night and he's not drawing the mega-star CBs. Definitely like his situation for next year, as I also agree DT is a likely cut with a 17.5M cap hit and only 3.5M dead cap. I can see why there's excitement for him but also why so many teams let him slide by and into round 2. 
That's why you need a QB like Chad Kelly in there. He's not afraid to throw into tight coverage and let the WR make the play. The QB needs to trust the WR.

Flying Elvis said:

If you’re going to judge Sutton by how often he’s got 3 steps of separation from a DB, you’re going to think he sucks.

While he’s athletic enough to separate, that’s not his game.  He’s the kind of WR who even when he is covered, he’s open.  By that, I mean that he knows how to leverage position, his size, his hands, and his athleticism to give himself an advantage even in close coverage so that he wins 50/50 balls a majority of the time.  If he has a QB who is capable of throwing him the ball away from the tight coverage, he’s a pretty safe bet to come up with the catch almost all the time.  He just needs a QB who isn’t afraid to throw into coverage - he’ll do the rest.

I wont drop names of existing players I seem him being mentioned in the same sentence with, but I'll just say hes a bonifide stud. A lot of people who had picks 1.5-1.10 are going to be kicking themselves for passing on Sutton if they already arent. 

Glad I'm all in on him in every dynasty league

If you’re going to judge Sutton by how often he’s got 3 steps of separation from a DB, you’re going to think he sucks.

While he’s athletic enough to separate, that’s not his game.  He’s the kind of WR who even when he is covered, he’s open.  By that, I mean that he knows how to leverage position, his size, his hands, and his athleticism to give himself an advantage even in close coverage so that he wins 50/50 balls a majority of the time.  If he has a QB who is capable of throwing him the ball away from the tight coverage, he’s a pretty safe bet to come up with the catch almost all the time.  He just needs a QB who isn’t afraid to throw into coverage - he’ll do the rest.
I agree with your assessment, Billy.   Well stated. 

I took Sutton in the 15th round of my 12-teamer (took Manny Sanders in the 6th) because I was so impressed with him in the pre-season game with the Skins.   Courtland just worked Josh Norman in that game.  Kid has star written all over him.   DT is so gonna get cut next year.    Bailed us Sanders owners out big time with that spectacular catch last night!   

If separation isn't his game, contested catches have to be. There were a pair of plays last night were he didn't use that body or make an adjustment on the ball well enough to make the contested catch.

Again, I can see where the excitement comes from but also why he slid. Time will tell...

Alshon Jeffery is good comparison.  He doesn't separate well but he always great at 50/50 catch (and it helps when having a pair of large mitts).

Courtland Sutton delivered three catches for 78 yards on four targets Sunday in Denver’s Week 8 loss to the Chiefs.

Sutton led the team with his 78 yards, which was also a career-high for the rookie. The 23-year-old continues to make his living off big plays. His longest catch Sunday came on a 42-yard missile from Case Keenum on the closing drive of the first half. Sutton's volume is still lacking—he's caught just 17 passes all year—but the second-round SMU alum certainly offers breakout potential. He's someone to keep an eye on, especially as rumors swirl of the Broncos potentially dealing Emmanuel Sanders and Demaryius Thomas ahead of Tuesday's trade deadline.

Oct 28 - 5:52 PM

Demaryius Thomas says its 50-50 that he gets traded.

He will likely garner them nothing if/when he is cut in the off-season.  They cant keep his current contract (17.5 next year, with only a 3.5 cap hit if cut). It wont be worth to either Denver or Thomas to restructure. Why pay him 8+ million with needing to redo Sanders, and why would he take way under market value? Think the cap hit rest of this season is only 6 million to someone who gets him, and they may have a need to keep/redo him at market value next year and beyond (49ers? Cowboys? Jets?).  

Cortland would be a solid WR2 rest of way.

It's Courtland Sutton's time. 

Texans acquired WR Demaryius Thomas from the Broncos.

Source: Mike Klis on Twitter

Oct 30 - 1:17 PM

Users who are viewing this thread