What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Damien Harris, BUF (2 Viewers)

Sources?

And no, I haven't seen anything yet, and that's kind of the problem here buddy. 
https://www.rotoworld.com/college-football/nfl-draft/player/38780/damien-harris

Harris held off higher-rated Josh Jacobs for the Crimson Tide’s 2018 rushing lead, demonstrating reliability as a runner, pass catcher, and blocker.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/damien-harris?id=32194841-5231-1469-57ad-03c4e9f5e495

More than ready to stick his nose in and mix it up in blitz pick-up

Scans for leaks in pass protection and uses good technique to square and sustain blocks

https://www.patriots.com/news/patriots-com-draft-profile-rb-damien-harris

He’s outstanding in pass protection, which you know is going to be great for the Patriots. NFL.com’s Daniel Jeremiah

Any chance they have been working Harris in over the bye for higher workload.

Or just too crowded in front of him with Patriots-way experienced players and he's still just a 2020 or beyond stash?

Any chance they have been working Harris in over the bye for higher workload.

Or just too crowded in front of him with Patriots-way experienced players and he's still just a 2020 or beyond stash?
Probably wishful thinking. The Patriots backfield is the healthiest its been all season coming out of the bye. They clearly trust Burkhead, and even Bolden more, and obviously the backfield runs through White and Michel.

I'd call Harris a dynasty stash only at this point. 

Patriots RB Damien Harris (hamstring) has been ruled out for Sunday's matchup against the Eagles.

The Patriots' third-round pick has been a healthy scratch in all but two games this season. Overall, Harris has played 10 total snaps, converting four carries into 12 scoreless yards.

SOURCE: Mike Reiss on Twitter.

Nov 16, 2019, 2:23 PM ET

Patriots RB Damien Harris (hamstring) was limited in practice Wednesday.

Harris has been a total non-factor in his rookie season. Injuries have hurt his chances, but the Patriots have made him a healthy scratch most weeks. It's possible that Harris eventually becomes an active player now that he's getting healthier, but there are zero fantasy expectations for Harris in 2019 with James White, Sony Michel, and Rex Burkhead in his way.

Nov 20, 2019, 8:24 PM ET

Anybody else own this guy in dynasty and not have the first clue what to do with him this offseason?  I would feel bad to cut my 2019 3rd-round pick in 2020... but geez.  Thoughts?

Anybody else own this guy in dynasty and not have the first clue what to do with him this offseason?  I would feel bad to cut my 2019 3rd-round pick in 2020... but geez.  Thoughts?
Do you not have a taxi squad?  You had to have taken him knowing he was in the ne rb quagmire and most likely wouldn't do anything fantasy wise this season.

Do you not have a taxi squad?  You had to have taken him knowing he was in the ne rb quagmire and most likely wouldn't do anything fantasy wise this season.
No, we're quasi-dynasty.  30 slots during the season, cuts to 20 prior to the draft.

Was hoping that the Michel knee issues were real (and the reason that the Pats drafted Harris).  Apparently not?

No, we're quasi-dynasty.  30 slots during the season, cuts to 20 prior to the draft.

Was hoping that the Michel knee issues were real (and the reason that the Pats drafted Harris).  Apparently not?
I think BB just likes to have options at rb and saw a player he didn't want to let slide in Harris.  He doesn't normally play rookies barring injuries (hence Michel and this year's wrs) so Harris being on the bench isn't a real negative sign for the upcoming years.

Michel has been playing like crap though. I think the whole offense should look completely different next season.  If that includes Harris or not is anyone's guess.

I think BB just likes to have options at rb and saw a player he didn't want to let slide in Harris.  He doesn't normally play rookies barring injuries (hence Michel and this year's wrs) so Harris being on the bench isn't a real negative sign for the upcoming years.

Michel has been playing like crap though. I think the whole offense should look completely different next season.  If that includes Harris or not is anyone's guess.
That's the way I see it. Michel had a nice game yesterday against a bad team, but he's been poor this year. As long as the team is winning, I don't see BB changing anything anytime soon.

Maybe Harris gets a longer look next year if Michel continues to struggle. I'd hold just in case.

That's the way I see it. Michel had a nice game yesterday against a bad team, but he's been poor this year. As long as the team is winning, I don't see BB changing anything anytime soon.

Maybe Harris gets a longer look next year if Michel continues to struggle. I'd hold just in case.
James White was deemed mediocre and did nothing for a while. Then his time finally came.

Think I'd be patient here.

Harris must be failing at pass protection or fumbling in practice.  Otherwise, it makes no sense that he wouldn't get any carries.  He might still get his shot in the playoffs if the Patriots offense continues to sputter.  They need a spark.  They'll risk Brady's health with bad pass protection in the post-season if Harris can bring that spark.  Harris will have completely fresh legs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Harris must be failing at pass protection or fumbling in practice.  Otherwise, it makes no sense that he wouldn't get any carries.  He might still get his shot in the playoffs if the Patriots offense continues to sputter.  They need a spark.  They'll risk Brady's health with bad pass protection in the post-season if Harris can bring that spark.  Harris will have completely fresh legs.
Outside of injury, I can't see them bringing him in the playoffs when the stakes are highest. They are already dressing 3 RBs, each with their specific role (including special teams for Burkhead). Probably just not enough room to dress 4 RBs unless Harris also plays ST (not sure if he does).

I'd call this year a redshirt year for Harris.

Outside of injury, I can't see them bringing him in the playoffs when the stakes are highest. They are already dressing 3 RBs, each with their specific role (including special teams for Burkhead). Probably just not enough room to dress 4 RBs unless Harris also plays ST (not sure if he does).

I'd call this year a redshirt year for Harris.
They are dressing 4 RB's (Michel, Burkhead, White, and Bolden). So Harris won't be the 5th.

Damien Harris could straight up replace Sony.  Sony has had a bad year.  It wouldn't hurt the team if Sony was a game day inactive.

Damien Harris could straight up replace Sony.  Sony has had a bad year.  It wouldn't hurt the team if Sony was a game day inactive.
I am going to disagree for a number of reasons. BB has been asked this and flat out said the other 4 backs can do more and provide more than Harris does currently. No offense, I will side with BB on what's best for the team over you. There have been other insiders that have suggested that Harris may not be great at blitz pickup. Feel free to disagree with Bill, but I don't think there will be a sudden change to make Michel the one that is inactive each week.

IIRC, Michel has averaged 4.1 ypc since Wynn came back. That's a yard better than earlier in the year. Not great, but a lot better than he was doing running the ball in the early going. Not his fault the defense hasn't been as dominant or the team has fallen behind and the game script didn't call for him. Also not his fault McDaniels has often given up on running the football.

We will see if they go with the 6 lineman, a TE, and a fullback package like they used at the end of the Bengals game again. They should have been using that formation all along if they wanted to try to run the ball down the throat of an opponent. IMO, that could still work if they elect to go back to it. Not all front 7's will be as porous as the Bengals, but in certain situations they should be able to use that alignment to their advantage.

@Anarchy99

What's this guy's potential for next year?  Could they move on from any of the other RBs to "make room" for him? Can he be relevant for FF? 

I am going to disagree for a number of reasons. BB has been asked this and flat out said the other 4 backs can do more and provide more than Harris does currently. No offense, I will side with BB on what's best for the team over you. There have been other insiders that have suggested that Harris may not be great at blitz pickup. Feel free to disagree with Bill, but I don't think there will be a sudden change to make Michel the one that is inactive each week.
Bill doesn't always tell the truth.  He certainly doesn't telegraph what he is going to do before he does it.

@Anarchy99

What's this guy's potential for next year?  Could they move on from any of the other RBs to "make room" for him? Can he be relevant for FF? 
I can’t even begin to guess. There could be so many moving pieces next year from who the QB, OC, WR, TE could be that RB personnel as a group would fall in after all those other things. 

Burkead and Bolden both have options for next year. White and Michel are signed for sure for next year if they want them around. Hard to really know what to expect out of Harris as he hasn’t played. 

Let’s say for sake of argument he took over the  Michel role; that is at best a RB2 in non ppr. The offense as a whole has taken a big step back and the upside for short TDs is not nearly what it used to be. 

It's bad enough owning Michel in this scheme, let alone throw my hat into the ring on Harris.  Unless I have their passing down back of the future, whether it's White or someone else, I'm not interested in Patriots RBs.  I already made this mistake with Michel and am trying to trade him in the leagues where I haven't already done so.

Let’s say for sake of argument he took over the  Michel role; that is at best a RB2 in non ppr. The offense as a whole has taken a big step back and the upside for short TDs is not nearly what it used to be. 
What's wrong with an rb2?  And I feel like I've said this a lot recently, but who doesn't play ppr?

Harris should have better hands than Michel, part of the reason he was taken.

Don't own him anywhere, but I'd like to change that. I think he can be a quality back (not amazing, but useful).

If his owners are cutting bait for cheap enough then I can see myself buying a lot of him.

Would a random 3rd round rookie pick get it done?

Don't own him anywhere, but I'd like to change that. I think he can be a quality back (not amazing, but useful).

If his owners are cutting bait for cheap enough then I can see myself buying a lot of him.

If he were on the Chiefs we would be singing a different tune probably.  With the Patriots, it's like the graveyard for RBs not in on every passing down .

Let's not forget that Brady is nearing the end and I doubt Josh McDaniels will stay if it doesn't look like BB will step down.  I know he came back after Denver and backed away from the Colts job, but it isn't any guarantee BB will retire anytime soon.  I don't think McDaniels can continue to wait.  His ego won't continue this.  All of this could factor into Harris' future with the Patriots.  What we see today isn't necessarily what we will see in the future for the Patriots.  IMO that would be shortsighted thinking.

As my roster sits currently, for sure.

• Smile
Reactions: EBF
Damien Harris is supposed to have good receiving skills so his ceiling would be much higher than Michel's.  And since the Patriots aren't running the ball effectively, it would be beneficial to bring in a running back who can catch the ball on early downs.  Becoming less predictable on early downs might open up the running game, too.

Definitely holding him. Pats basically redshirted James White his rookie year, too, and he's turned out alright. I drafted him assuming his clock would not start until year 2.

Wouldn't move him for less than a 2nd round pick, personally

Definitely holding him. Pats basically redshirted James White his rookie year, too, and he's turned out alright. I drafted him assuming his clock would not start until year 2.

Wouldn't move him for less than a 2nd round pick, personally
Damien might still blossom this year.  Belichick might even be saving him for the playoffs.  We might not even see him until the Patriots face the Ravens.  The Ravens will have virtually no film on Harris.  The Ravens will be prepared for an early down back with no receiving ability.  Harris has receiving skills.  Harris will have the freshest legs since Jameis Winston got stealing.  Tom Brady and Damien Harris have possibly been practicing together all year in preparation.  The Patriots offense is struggling.  They might lose if they use the same formula as they've traditionally been using.

Inactive again today. Has to be something BB doesn’t like about this kid and not just a numbers game.

Has there ever been an unproductive 3rd rd RB draft pick in its rookie year that has ended up being productive? They usually are busts, no? - like Dri Archer/Alex Green/Tony Hunt? Most 3rd rd RBs  receive at least 60+ carries. I would take a 2020 3rd rd rookie pick if I were you.

I still say it is impossible to project NE moving forward. There is a chance for MASSIVE changes in coaching and roster, so who knows what the team will look like moving forward. 

Cut ties with him at your own peril...if you bought in dynasty and waited this long, you’re nuts not to see how things shake out. He’s absolutely a 3 down back and with Michel underwhelming and Burkhead most likely jettisoned from the roster in 2020, this kid will have ample opportunity to produce. 

Sony does not look like the same guy he was in college. No explosiveness. I’m guessing his knee issues have robbed him of that. 

Sony does not look like the same guy he was in college. No explosiveness. I’m guessing his knee issues have robbed him of that. 
It’s possible. He’s carried the ball close to 500 times in his two years (including playoffs) and the knee issues may be having an effect.

In BB we trust! You may very well be correct, but I expect them to be competitive moving forward 
Competitiveness isn't the reason for my post.  It's the way they use RBs and you know Harris would be used just like Michel.  BB loves guys like James White in the game when they want to pass.  I'm done with NE running backs as long as they use their current scheme. 

Competitiveness isn't the reason for my post.  It's the way they use RBs and you know Harris would be used just like Michel.  BB loves guys like James White in the game when they want to pass.  I'm done with NE running backs as long as they use their current scheme. 
I agree the current scheme will be hard to trust from a fantasy standpoint, but who knows whether it will persist with Brady aging and the offense as weak as it’s been in the BB era. McDaniels may also leave for a head coaching gig.

I doubt things change much under BB, but it seems much more in potential flux than it’s ever been.

I agree the current scheme will be hard to trust from a fantasy standpoint, but who knows whether it will persist with Brady aging and the offense as weak as it’s been in the BB era. McDaniels may also leave for a head coaching gig.

I doubt things change much under BB, but it seems much more in potential flux than it’s ever been.
Not enough for me to want Harris on my fantasy teams.

What's the vernal concensus on this guy heading into 2020? With Michel and possibly Burkhead back, I have to imagine the kid gets a shot to carry the load, at least on 1st and 2nd down. I liked him coming out and wasn't impressed with Michel's total body of work last year. Also, how much longer does he have with that arthritic knee.  

What's the vernal concensus on this guy heading into 2020? With Michel and possibly Burkhead back, I have to imagine the kid gets a shot to carry the load, at least on 1st and 2nd down. I liked him coming out and wasn't impressed with Michel's total body of work last year. Also, how much longer does he have with that arthritic knee.  
I think he is a complete wildcard...when the Pats used a #3 on him I was convinced he was going to be a part of the RB rotation last year...BB and Saban are tight and Harris just had the feel of a perfect fit for the Pats...not only did they not use him but they did not use him when Burkhead got hurt and Sony Michel was looking pretty average...locally you did not hear anything bad about him but there is no doubt they felt he was not ready...the good news is the Pats handled both Shane Vereen (a #2) and James White (a #4) the same way, basically giving them a redshirt year...they also did not draft a RB and the one they brought in (JJ Taylor) is a totally different type of back than Harris...if you look at that the hope is he gets an opportunity because it is definitely there, especially when you factor in Stidham coming onboard as I don't see them wanting him to completely air it out as he develops...if you can get him at a reasonably cheap price he could pay some nice dividends...now with all that being said more often then not it is very painful owning a Patriot RB so you have to add that into the equation.

I think he is a complete wildcard...when the Pats used a #3 on him I was convinced he was going to be a part of the RB rotation last year...BB and Saban are tight and Harris just had the feel of a perfect fit for the Pats...not only did they not use him but they did not use him when Burkhead got hurt and Sony Michel was looking pretty average...locally you did not hear anything bad about him but there is doubt they felt he was not ready...the good news is the Pats handled both Shane Vereen (a #2) and James White (a #4) the same way, basically giving them a redshirt year...they also did not draft a RB and the one they brought in (JJ Taylor) is a totally different type of back than Harris...if you look at that the hope is he gets an opportunity because it is definitely there, especially when you factor in Stidham coming onboard as I don't see them wanting him to completely air it out as he develops...if you can get him at a reasonably cheap price he could pay some nice dividends...now with all that being said more often then not it is very painful owning a Patriot RB so you have to add that into the equation.
I agree with all this. Solid post

Users who are viewing this thread