What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2018 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (1 Viewer)

A lot of people are bashing AB for his tweet thanking Steelers Nation, but it's entirely possible that the Steelers notified him that they have a trade in place that will be executed after the start of the new league season. We don't know that it's just AB being a diva and saying he wants out. 

Everything with AB didn't start after the Burfict hit, teammates have been saying that he's late to meetings and acting like a diva WR ever since he got his 1st major payday. 
He *might* have already been traded and that's the reason for the tweet but I think at this point AB doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

As for his behavior, missing a meeting here or there is one thing but I don't remember hearing stories of skipping practices, domestic problems, reckless driving, throwing things from balconies, threatening sports reporters, etc.  prior to the Burfict hit.  Gerry Dulac, who hosted a radio show with him for several years and knows him pretty well, said there was a noticeable change in his demeanor when he saw him at minicamp and preseason.  

I dunno, perhaps I am reading too much into it, but the number of issues with AB has exploded since last year.

He *might* have already been traded and that's the reason for the tweet but I think at this point AB doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

As for his behavior, missing a meeting here or there is one thing but I don't remember hearing stories of skipping practices, domestic problems, reckless driving, throwing things from balconies, threatening sports reporters, etc.  prior to the Burfict hit.  Gerry Dulac, who hosted a radio show with him for several years and knows him pretty well, said there was a noticeable change in his demeanor when he saw him at minicamp and preseason.  

I dunno, perhaps I am reading too much into it, but the number of issues with AB has exploded since last year.
It is possible. His situation reminds me of an alcoholic/addict where it starts small and at first everything is under control, but slowly over time things start to get wilder and more out of control until finally everything starts steam rolling and flying off the handle. Idk what's going on with him, but it does all seem to be getting worse. Now is a good time to trade him, for the Steelers and for him, he needs a change of scenery and I hope it works out for both.

These articles about landing spots are pretty annoying though. Almost every one I've seen has the Patriots listed. This isn't free agency! There is 0 chance the Steelers trade him to the Pats unless it's for Tom Brady. I'm not sure they'd do it for 2 1st rounders. The Pats are our biggest hurdle to another SB and we're not going to help make them better.

The most believable spots to me are any NFC team, Dolphins, Jets, or Bills, because they're a ways from competing and could be a thorn in NE's side. 

Something is just off with him this past year. Started with throwing the furniture off of the balcony. His rants make no sense. I wish he would be quiet so they could trade him. Looks more and more like steelers don’t get much or have to hold him and ir/deactivate him for mental heath issues. 

It is possible. His situation reminds me of an alcoholic/addict where it starts small and at first everything is under control, but slowly over time things start to get wilder and more out of control until finally everything starts steam rolling and flying off the handle. Idk what's going on with him, but it does all seem to be getting worse. Now is a good time to trade him, for the Steelers and for him, he needs a change of scenery and I hope it works out for both.

These articles about landing spots are pretty annoying though. Almost every one I've seen has the Patriots listed. This isn't free agency! There is 0 chance the Steelers trade him to the Pats unless it's for Tom Brady. I'm not sure they'd do it for 2 1st rounders. The Pats are our biggest hurdle to another SB and we're not going to help make them better.

The most believable spots to me are any NFC team, Dolphins, Jets, or Bills, because they're a ways from competing and could be a thorn in NE's side. 
It’s not that simple.  If those teams aren’t interested in a trade, there’s no trade.  If NE offers a 1st, and no other team offers better than a 3rd, you’d expect Pitt to keep AB & his attitude/any locker-room issues he has, rather than trade him to NE?  

As far as NE being Pitts biggest hurdle, I don’t believe that’s true.  Unless Pitt greatly shores up theirs D; KC, LAC, Hou, Indy, and NE are better equipped to win the SB out of the AFC, especially if Pitt gets rid of AB.  They need to focus on what makes their team better, nit just how they can keep other teams from getting better (especially if those teams are already better).

Bayhawks said:
It’s not that simple.  If those teams aren’t interested in a trade, there’s no trade.  If NE offers a 1st, and no other team offers better than a 3rd, you’d expect Pitt to keep AB & his attitude/any locker-room issues he has, rather than trade him to NE?  

As far as NE being Pitts biggest hurdle, I don’t believe that’s true.  Unless Pitt greatly shores up theirs D; KC, LAC, Hou, Indy, and NE are better equipped to win the SB out of the AFC, especially if Pitt gets rid of AB.  They need to focus on what makes their team better, nit just how they can keep other teams from getting better (especially if those teams are already better).
I agree they need to focus on making their team better so if the Pats offer a #1 and no other team offers better than a #3 you take it.   If another team, especially a team in the NFC, offers a #2 I might take that since the Pats pick is 32.

It might be a little more interesting if it were the Browns or Ravens offering the #1 and no other team offering better than a #3.   It would be tough to give AB to a divisional rival...

When Aditi K. asked a Steelers player and AB advocate for his thoughts on the situation he said, "I just want it to be over." You and me both, man. 

I agree they need to focus on making their team better so if the Pats offer a #1 and no other team offers better than a #3 you take it.   If another team, especially a team in the NFC, offers a #2 I might take that since the Pats pick is 32.

It might be a little more interesting if it were the Browns or Ravens offering the #1 and no other team offering better than a #3.   It would be tough to give AB to a divisional rival...
Right.  IMO, it's a tiebreaker.  If  two trade offers are close, and one is to NE, or Cle (I wouldn't worry about the Ravens, unless Jackson drastically improves as a passer, a stud WR isn't going to help that offense much), you take the other offer, even if it's not quite as good.  But if NE or Cle makes a much better offer, Pitt would be foolish to say "No, we'd rather get much less in return than allow him to play for NE/Cle."

So Brown does NOT have permission to contact teams yet. Steelers controlling the whole process. Let’s see if this gets done before the roster bonus. 

AB is a diva looking for a high profile town. Maybe NYC, LA or Miami. Dallas already signed Amari Cooper. I’ll say the Jets who need to get Darnold a stud WR. Heck maybe Bell will follow him there.

AB is a diva looking for a high profile town. Maybe NYC, LA or Miami. Dallas already signed Amari Cooper. I’ll say the Jets who need to get Darnold a stud WR. Heck maybe Bell will follow him there.
I dunno.  With all of his recent antics PLUS saying he's going to want to renegotiate his guaranteed money I think potential suitors are going to be slim.   I suppose the Steelers could work out a trade in principal but I would think that team would want to talk to his agent to discuss the current contract and whether Big Chest is going to honor it.

They really need to figure out a way to get him to AZ for Patrick Peterson.

They won't....but it just makes too much sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
They really need to figure out a way to get him to AZ for Patrick Peterson.

They won't....but it just makes too much sense.
At this point the Steelers should even add picks/players if necessary to get him out of Pittsburgh for Peterson.

Yes Steelers will not tag Bell per Colbert.  Also said the Steelers will only trade Mr Big Chest if it benefits the Steelers.  The Steelers will not accept a discounted offer and he won't be released.

Sounds like the Steelers are playing hard ball

As they should, no?
Absolutely  I think the Steelers would gladly accept a #1 for Big Chest, possibly even a #2, but I don't think they're going to go any lower than that.  While it would be great to rid the team of this idiot there is no denying that he is the best WR over the last 5 years or so and you can't just give him and get little in return. 

If the market price is so low then you hold onto him and the ball is back in Big Chest's court.  He can either hold out or report.  If he shows up and follows the rules he plays, if he acts up he gets suspended.  Hopefully they can avoid all that but I think this is the stance you have to take. 

Absolutely  I think the Steelers would gladly accept a #1 for Big Chest, possibly even a #2, but I don't think they're going to go any lower than that.  While it would be great to rid the team of this idiot there is no denying that he is the best WR over the last 5 years or so and you can't just give him and get little in return. 

If the market price is so low then you hold onto him and the ball is back in Big Chest's court.  He can either hold out or report.  If he shows up and follows the rules he plays, if he acts up he gets suspended.  Hopefully they can avoid all that but I think this is the stance you have to take. 
Fully agree. No favors for a disgruntled employee who JUST GOT PAID.

Maybe he'll do something dumb(er) to void his contract. Then everybody wins.

GB - While I laugh every time I see Big Chest, did you hear that AB was possibly misquoted and was actually saying "Big Checks, just call me Big Checks..."  Who knows, the guy's turned into a blabbering idiot.

GB - While I laugh every time I see Big Chest, did you hear that AB was possibly misquoted and was actually saying "Big Checks, just call me Big Checks..."  Who knows, the guy's turned into a blabbering idiot.
You know, I really didn't even consider that he might be saying big checks!    Hmmm.....

Either way the guy is out of control

Reportedly, the Jets are concerned that Le'veon Bell has let himself get out of shape over the past year, with rumors saying he let himself get as high as 260 lbs. Wasn't he at 225 a year ago? If that's true then he's not going to get the contract he thinks he deserves.

At this point I'd be pretty shocked if he got a 5-year $70 million contract (what the Steelers offered). Do you think he'll try to crawl back if teams are offering him 5-year $50 mil deals?

Reportedly, the Jets are concerned that Le'veon Bell has let himself get out of shape over the past year, with rumors saying he let himself get as high as 260 lbs. Wasn't he at 225 a year ago? If that's true then he's not going to get the contract he thinks he deserves.

At this point I'd be pretty shocked if he got a 5-year $70 million contract (what the Steelers offered). Do you think he'll try to crawl back if teams are offering him 5-year $50 mil deals?
I had similar thoughts. I can't imagine being away from the game for an entire year and then regaining form. The old "staying in shape" versus "football shape" issue.

I had similar thoughts. I can't imagine being away from the game for an entire year and then regaining form. The old "staying in shape" versus "football shape" issue.
As good as Bell was, it seemed to me that in 2017 opponents started catching on to Bell's patented stutter-step and he wasn't as effective of a runner than in previous years.    

Godsbrother said:
As good as Bell was, it seemed to me that in 2017 opponents started catching on to Bell's patented stutter-step and he wasn't as effective of a runner than in previous years.    
Yes, one team in particular (might have been Ravens or Bengals) started mirroring his hesitation. Just hovering in gaps instead of attacking... kind of neutralized the whole thing.

Godsbrother said:
He lost a bit of speed and I keep saying that his decline is going to be super ugly (think Shaun Alexander). His running style does not lend to a loss of speed/quickness. He’s already a pretty unique case in that his weight loss seemed to be a catalyst to his elite status. If he truly has ballooned, and even if we say it’s a more realistic 240 lbs, it’s going to be extremely bad. Most teams seem to have gotten more saavy to the fact that RB’s windows are the time frame up until age 26 not after. I could, however, see a team like Buffalo or Miami making a bone headed move thinking that a RB can be a catalyst to having a legitimate offense. 

So what WRs should the Steelers kick the tires on to "replace" AB?

1.  Golden Tate

2.  Dez

3.  Crabtree

4.  John Brown

5.  Cobb

???????????????????????????????????

1.  Golden Tate

2.  Dez

3.  Crabtree

4.  John Brown

5.  Cobb

Tate would be my #1 choice, then probably John Brown.    Definitely have no interest in Dez.   

First thing is to trade AB though and if they don't get decent return just hold onto him and make him decide if he wants to play or retire.

Tate would be my #1 choice, then probably John Brown.    Definitely have no interest in Dez.   

First thing is to trade AB though and if they don't get decent return just hold onto him and make him decide if he wants to play or retire.
Up to five teams calling about AB now . . . . 

Change John Brown's number to 84 and everyone can save their jerseys.  

Christ... AB looking like a clown again on that idiot Lebron’s show. The three teams interested are Oakland, Washington and Tennessee. Two of those are just about the worst spots a WR can land. Send him to the abyss of Washington and make him play with Colt McCoy. Nothing could bring me more joy at this point. 

In terms of the Steelers fan Washington is the best situation because they are the ones more likely to foolish give us the farm for a splashy news story 

How does AB’s agent allow him to do this?  Killing his trade and contract value. His profile is upped for sure, but he looks mentally ill. 

From Peter Kings FMIA today ...

"

There is real competition for Antonio Brown on the trade market, and I expect the Steelers to trade him as early as this week—but almost certainly before the March 17 deadline to pay Brown a $2.5 million roster bonus. ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Brown’s chief suitors were Oakland, Tennessee and Washington, and I heard Saturday night there could be at least one more serious team. What Schefter’s three teams have in common: a strong head coach (Jon Gruden, Mike Vrabel, Jay Gruden) who won’t be afraid of bringing an incendiary device like Brown into the locker room. My gut feeling is the Steelers will get the first-round pick they’ve been angling to get for Brown, who turns 31 in July.

“ 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/04/kyler-murray-nfl-combine-notes-fmia-peter-king/?cid=rotoworld

moondog said:
From Peter Kings FMIA today ...

"

There is real competition for Antonio Brown on the trade market, and I expect the Steelers to trade him as early as this week—but almost certainly before the March 17 deadline to pay Brown a $2.5 million roster bonus. ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Brown’s chief suitors were Oakland, Tennessee and Washington, and I heard Saturday night there could be at least one more serious team. What Schefter’s three teams have in common: a strong head coach (Jon Gruden, Mike Vrabel, Jay Gruden) who won’t be afraid of bringing an incendiary device like Brown into the locker room. My gut feeling is the Steelers will get the first-round pick they’ve been angling to get for Brown, who turns 31 in July.

“ 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/04/kyler-murray-nfl-combine-notes-fmia-peter-king/?cid=rotoworld
That would be awesome.   AB has been such a jerk that I don't even care about losing such a great player anymore.  I just want him gone.

In terms of the Steelers fan Washington is the best situation because they are the ones more likely to foolish give us the farm for a splashy news story 
Not to mention it would be fun to hear stories about Brown and Josh Norman trying to maim the other in practice after Norman touches Brown too hard. 

I am not sure which is more unlikely:  the Steelers signing Mosley or Antonio Brown completing a coherent sentence using proper English.
Not sure why you think Mosley is unlikely.   Seems like the kind of guy we'd go after with our extra free agent money.  I know we're not typically a big splash team, but he's a good fit, young and we happen to have a little more cap room than normal.

Not sure why you think Mosley is unlikely.   Seems like the kind of guy we'd go after with our extra free agent money.  I know we're not typically a big splash team, but he's a good fit, young and we happen to have a little more cap room than normal.
If Mosley's demands were higher than Baltimore was willing to pay then it seems likely they are higher than the Steelers will go.   I am sure they'll give his agent a ring but I'll be surprised if the Steelers outbid other suitors.   

I am guessing he is looking for $11-$12 million/yr with maybe $30 million guaranteed.  That seems like that might be too high for the Steelers but what do I know?  Maybe they'll surprise me.

If Mosley's demands were higher than Baltimore was willing to pay then it seems likely they are higher than the Steelers will go.   I am sure they'll give his agent a ring but I'll be surprised if the Steelers outbid other suitors.   

I am guessing he is looking for $11-$12 million/yr with maybe $30 million guaranteed.  That seems like that might be too high for the Steelers but what do I know?  Maybe they'll surprise me.
Baltimore did not tag him because the tag for linebackers include the OLB's who are edge rushers like Von Miller so the tag amount is $15M+.   They still want to sign him but did not to tag him and have Mosley think the $15M is an amount Balt is willing to pay.

Baltimore did not tag him because the tag for linebackers include the OLB's who are edge rushers like Von Miller so the tag amount is $15M+.   They still want to sign him but did not to tag him and have Mosley think the $15M is an amount Balt is willing to pay.
Okay thanks for the clarification.   There is no way the Steelers are going to pay anywhere near $15 million, especially if they are pretty sure they're getting a 1st or 2nd round pick in an AB trade that they can use to move up in the draft for a shot of White or Bush.

1.  Golden Tate

2.  Dez

3.  Crabtree

4.  John Brown

5.  Cobb

I always thought Ben wanted big receivers. I would take a gamble on Funchess/Benjamin and then draft a guy. Tyrell Williams is a good fit, but it just doesn't seem like a PIT move to spend that type of money. 

Okay thanks for the clarification.   There is no way the Steelers are going to pay anywhere near $15 million, especially if they are pretty sure they're getting a 1st or 2nd round pick in an AB trade that they can use to move up in the draft for a shot of White or Bush.
While I agree, I don't think they spend 15M on Mosley, I also don't think if they acquire a first rounder for AB that they package them and trade up for a LB.  I think they'll stand pat and use them both on the BPAs, particularly at CB, WR or LB.

While White or Bush would be special, they have more needs than one player.

While I agree, I don't think they spend 15M on Mosley, I also don't think if they acquire a first rounder for AB that they package them and trade up for a LB.  I think they'll stand pat and use them both on the BPAs, particularly at CB, WR or LB.

While White or Bush would be special, they have more needs than one player.
They do but at some point you need to get game-changers, especially on defense.   I am kind of tired of the Artie Burns and Bud Dupree type-picks.

Users who are viewing this thread