What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shaquem Griffin Thread (1 Viewer)

Shaquem Griffin deserves his own thread.  He is truly an inspirational story, and I am looking forward to watching him play in the NFL on Sundays.
He sure does.  And the IDP forum deserves to host it!  We need all the love in there we can get.

Amazing athlete.  Inspiring story.  Wonderful roll model.  Terrific object lesson.  I hope he makes it.  That said, hands are fairly critical.  Sure, there are times when one can make a shoulder tackle, but there are plenty of times where the runner, receiver, or Q.B. is at arms reach and they have to be grabbed and dragged down by one hand.  In fact I would guess that is far more common than the clean shoulder tackle.  The kid has an uphill battle. 

Regardless, I will root for the kid.  Having been this way since 4 years old he certainly has had time to figure all of this out, so who knows.  Maybe he has a technique for every occasion.    

If I were a GM I would draft this kid and early...His heart more than makes up for his hand...Teams are going to pass on him and they are going to be sorry.

Watch his film and tell me he is too small or handicapped.

Amazing athlete.  Inspiring story.  Wonderful roll model.  Terrific object lesson.  I hope he makes it.  That said, hands are fairly critical.  Sure, there are times when one can make a shoulder tackle, but there are plenty of times where the runner, receiver, or Q.B. is at arms reach and they have to be grabbed and dragged down by one hand.  In fact I would guess that is far more common than the clean shoulder tackle.  The kid has an uphill battle. 

Regardless, I will root for the kid.  Having been this way since 4 years old he certainly has had time to figure all of this out, so who knows.  Maybe he has a technique for every occasion.    
Lots of guys play with casts that turn their hand into nothing more than what Griffin has, except they don't have a lifetime of learning how to adjust to it.

Lots of guys play with casts that turn their hand into nothing more than what Griffin has, except they don't have a lifetime of learning how to adjust to it.
Generally in emergency situations, but very true.  It may be that he has learned techniques to compensate somewhat.  I happen to suspect that as an edge rusher he needs a hand there, but perhaps not.  I wish him well.  Now as a gunner on special teams, maybe not so much.  There his speed, size and power may stand him in good stead as he may be able to line guys up better.  At any rate I am not predicting he will not make it, just speculating that he has a difficult path while acknowledging he has conquered difficulties thus far and may continue to do so.  Best wishes to him. 

Generally in emergency situations, but very true.  It may be that he has learned techniques to compensate somewhat.  I happen to suspect that as an edge rusher he needs a hand there, but perhaps not.  I wish him well.  Now as a gunner on special teams, maybe not so much.  There his speed, size and power may stand him in good stead as he may be able to line guys up better.  At any rate I am not predicting he will not make it, just speculating that he has a difficult path while acknowledging he has conquered difficulties thus far and may continue to do so.  Best wishes to him. 
Didn't mean to be dismissive or absolute about it, sorry if it came off that way.  He's certainly going to be "affected" by it, it's obvious he'd be better off with two hands than with one, but being a better player with only one hand is a lot more important than being a lesser player with two. 

Didn't mean to be dismissive or absolute about it, sorry if it came off that way.  He's certainly going to be "affected" by it, it's obvious he'd be better off with two hands than with one, but being a better player with only one hand is a lot more important than being a lesser player with two. 
We are in agreement and I can't say that I'm not intrigued by a linebacker with top cornerback speed.  Perhaps he can find a role not as an edge rusher but as a highbred such as Seattle has p0opularized, or as Green Bay once used  Woodson.

Would a player be allowed to wear a high tech prosthetic arm?

Last edited by a moderator:
A scouting director for an NFC team said that UCF LB Shaquem Griffin is "fast and athletic and makes a ton of plays."

The scouting director acknowledges that Griffin will necessarily be limited in some aspects due to the fact that he does not have a left hand, but the 6-foot, 227-pounder fought through that disability to find fantastic success with UCF. He's a rangy athlete with plenty of burst -- at the NFL Scouting Combine, he tested in the 77th percentile of pro linebackers -- and will be attending the draft in Dallas next week as he anticipates a potential Day 2 or early Day 3 selection.

Source: NFL.com 

Apr 17 - 6:16 PM

On one hand he has a Disney-esque story that will likely sell jerseys if nothing else, he'll likely be a great special teams player and locker room guy, and he does offer some pass rush ability in a draft that for the most part is devoid of pass rushers BUT on the other hand......

On one hand he has a Disney-esque story that will likely sell jerseys if nothing else, he'll likely be a great special teams player and locker room guy, and he does offer some pass rush ability in a draft that for the most part is devoid of pass rushers BUT on the other hand......
On the other hand what? He's also good in coverage? And has a lower missed tackle rate than many of the other prospects in the draft?

Or he makes lame jokes taking pot shots at talented players?

That is AWESOME. Had the privilege of seeing this guy play in the 4th preseason game against the Raiders and he was all over the place (in a good way) -- great nose for the ball, played with some urgency and violence, and was great to watch, not just because the guy is playing with one hand, but because with or without two hands, Shaq is a flat-out baller by any measure.

Will be fun to watch this kid develop in the NFL -- clear he can make an impact right away at this level.

I've been following this guy for a couple years now - great story. I read something maybe a week ago that said he could actually start week 1 due to an injury. Now it looks like that is true. I'm going to have the Seattle game tuned in on Sunday to keep an eye on him. Again, great story. I'm pulling for the guy.

Users who are viewing this thread