What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why do you register your car every year, but your drivers license is good for 4 to 10 years? (1 Viewer)

KCitons

Footballguy
I had the same picture on my license from age 21 to 31 before I had to go to the DMV to renew. I had my second license for 8 years before renewing. If I don't change cars, why would I need to register it every year. I'm still the same owner?

Employees at the license center is much more costly than the computer and people that do the registration.

Same reason when you refinance you pay Transfer Tax and Lender Title Insurance on real estate you already own. As was said above, :moneybag:  

What about inspections every two years?
Are you asking why we don't, or pointing out that your state requires them? The only vehicle I have ever had inspected is one that is purchased out of state. Even then, it's a one time thing. 

Are you asking why we don't, or pointing out that your state requires them? The only vehicle I have ever had inspected is one that is purchased out of state. Even then, it's a one time thing. 
not here - until recently it was every year.   

So just money?  Wouldn't it be important to confirm that I can operate a vehicle safely?
In NH, once you hit 75, you need to road test whenever you renew your license.

Car inspection and reregister every year.

Last edited by a moderator:
In PA, you have to register every year, but i do believe they also started an every 2yr registration as well.  DL renewal is every 4yrs.  Car inspections every year and if you live in certain counties, mainly around Pittsburgh and Philadelphia you need to get an emissions test.

There was talk about new car inspections being good for 2-5 years but can't remember what happened with that proposal.

PA really sucks when it comes to this stuff.  And this doesn't include PA having one of the highest gas taxes in the country to supposedly pay for roads and stuff and still have some really crappy roads and structurally deficient bridges.

Why would you want a longer car registration?  You know that if you can register it for a longer period they're going to charge more than they do for a 1-yr. registration.  So, you pay more for a 4-year registration, not knowing if you're going to trade it in or wreck it sometime during that period.  PA now has the option of renewing for either 1 or 2 years and I still only do 1 because who knows what will happen to my car in the next 2 years?  

Why would you want a longer car registration?  You know that if you can register it for a longer period they're going to charge more than they do for a 1-yr. registration.  So, you pay more for a 4-year registration, not knowing if you're going to trade it in or wreck it sometime during that period.  PA now has the option of renewing for either 1 or 2 years and I still only do 1 because who knows what will happen to my car in the next 2 years?  
In Virginia, the two year registration is a bit cheaper than two times the one year registration, and if you sell/wreck the car in the first year they refund the second year to you.

I guess it cuts down on staff and paperwork to have people register less often.  For that matter, there might be sutainable profit from people who give up the car in a year but don't claim the refund.

If it got me out of doing emissions testing every two years I would love it. I wouldnt care if I had to eat years. 

Users who are viewing this thread