What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who are some cheaper Vets you are acquiring for depth? (1 Viewer)

Last year I thought he was overhyped after a year off. Now I think he's a solid value play. 

I haven't been actively pursuing any vets but a few that come to mind are Lynch, Pierre Garcon, Ben Watson, Jordan Matthews

Potential WR2: Fitzgerald, Edelman, Garcon

Supercheap RB3: Sproles

Can't forget about Gore at RB either, lol.
I can never discount Fitz and Gore, those two have been proving me wrong about their potential age/decline year after year. It will happen, but I will no longer bet on when.

Sproles is interesting if only because I don't think Ajayi gets it going this year. I think the bigger threat may actually be Clement, and Sproles always seems to find a way to secure a stable role -- would have no trouble taking him as a late round flier in a PPR.  

Last year I thought he was overhyped after a year off. Now I think he's a solid value play. 

I haven't been actively pursuing any vets but a few that come to mind are Lynch, Pierre Garcon, Ben Watson, Jordan Matthews
I think in hindsight he was accurately valued last year (if not undervalued) as a player... but the Oakland offense unpredictably went to ****. Carr had his worst season since his rookie year. Crabtree fell out of favor and had locker room issues. Cooper regressed terribly. And they didn't even use Lynch right the first half of the season. Despite all the offensive struggles, he still put up 135-625-5 rushing and 21-16-114-0 receiving in the second half of the season.

I'm actually more worried about him this year than last year. Last year his value took a hit because people thought he was washed up, incorrectly conflating injuries in 2015 with degrading talent. This year we know he can still play, but what kind of team will Oakland be? Gruden is exhibiting some Ditka-esque behavior. The game may have passed him by while he was broadcasting. But regardless of those risks, Lynch's talent alone makes him worth a cheap acquisition. 

Crabtree needs to be cobsidered.
This is an excellent call. I'm not even sure what he's going for because there's been so little talk about him... which usually means he's pretty cheap. Flacco isn't that great, but he isn't old enough (33) to be falling off a cliff and he'll be auditioning for a new team this year. I actually really like the Crabtree/John Brown/Snead signings for Baltimore. Crabtree can play the Boldin role while Brown plays the Torrey role. Snead is a better than advertised slot guy. Boldin had a 16 game average of 66/940/5 while he was in Baltimore. That would be good enough for WR3 numbers and with his red zone skills, he could feasibly creep into low-end WR2 territory if he catches enough TDs. 

I think in hindsight he was accurately valued last year (if not undervalued) as a player... but the Oakland offense unpredictably went to ****. Carr had his worst season since his rookie year. Crabtree fell out of favor and had locker room issues. Cooper regressed terribly. And they didn't even use Lynch right the first half of the season. Despite all the offensive struggles, he still put up 135-625-5 rushing and 21-16-114-0 receiving in the second half of the season.

I'm actually more worried about him this year than last year. Last year his value took a hit because people thought he was washed up, incorrectly conflating injuries in 2015 with degrading talent. This year we know he can still play, but what kind of team will Oakland be? Gruden is exhibiting some Ditka-esque behavior. The game may have passed him by while he was broadcasting. But regardless of those risks, Lynch's talent alone makes him worth a cheap acquisition. 
FF doesn't care how good a player you are, just the stats.

Fair points about Oakland and I think Gruden ends badly. But for a pick around 122, I'll gladly take the chance.  Last year he was going in the 50s or earlier.

Goodwin, 49ers

Not sure Garcon bounces back since he's older and it was a major injury. Could be Goodwin and Pettis on what people think will be a high powered offense.

Goodwin, 49ers

Not sure Garcon bounces back since he's older and it was a major injury. Could be Goodwin and Pettis on what people think will be a high powered offense.
Fair point, but how many 32-year-olds can you say are a near-lock for 75 catches if healthy? The return is high enough, the price low enough (he's going in the WR40 range), and the 49ers' offense likely good enough to make it well worth the risk. He, Fitz, and Crabtree are a no-brainer WR medal stand in this category IMO. As for some other positions:

Ryan - his 3.8% TD rate from '17 is as bound for upward regression as his 7.1% rate from '16 was for downward. A screaming post-hype bargain at ~QB16.
Rivers - he makes this list for me every. Single. Year.

Crowell - hard to believe he's only 25 (insert crack about 'Dawg years' here). Jets brought in little viable competition via FA/draft. Selling for pennies yet could be a 1,000-yard back.
Bernard - Downside is 40 catches and 700 YFS. Upside if Mixon underwhelms is a timeshare behind what should be an improved OL.

Clay - Bills didn't add much offensive firepower. He'll provide Graham-type stats eight rounds later.
Cook - Crabtree's departure leaves a lot of RZ opportunity up for grabs. Ostensibly that'd be Jordy's gig, but I think he's done. Cook could threaten double-digit TDs at a TE20+ price tag.

Last edited by a moderator:
FF doesn't care how good a player you are, just the stats.

Fair points about Oakland and I think Gruden ends badly. But for a pick around 122, I'll gladly take the chance.  Last year he was going in the 50s or earlier.
I'm just saying unless people who were low on him predicted a collapse of the Oakland offense, including unpredictable regression from Carr and Cooper, they got lucky bc they were wrong about Lynch - he still had it. It's the equivalent of doing a math problem totally wrong but ending up with the right answer. And Lynch's season wasn't even that bad. Those who didn't drop him or perma-bench him actually got some really nice stats in the second half of the season for a playoff run.

As for pick 122, I hadn't even thought about this from a redraft standpoint. I don't know why I assumed this was talking about trading for cheap vets in dynasty. The 13th round is really cheap for Lynch. I wouldn't hesitate to reach a few rounds for him if I had a need at RB. I just landed him for 3% of my budget in a superflex auction last week.

On the topic of value plays I've seen in recent (superflex best ball) auctions...
If rosters are large enough, I've found it isn't that expensive to combo Crowell+Powell. I don't expect the Jets to be that good, but I think one of those two guys will have value this year.
Similarly, Jamaal Williams + Aaron Jones has sometimes been a cheap combo, but sometimes one will get bid up.
Sanders and Edelman have been going for less than 5%.
Tannehill is dirt cheap, but that's only notable for superflex.
Shepard has been pretty cheap (3-4%). I am not a "3rd year breakout theory" guy, but some guys' career arcs are just set up that way. I think his price is worth gambling that he's one.
Stills and Lockett seem to be forgotten men (<2%). 

ETA: Doyle - it seems Ebron has scared people off of Doyle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread