What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NRA ADMITS ACCEPTING MONEY FROM 23 RUSSIA-LINKED DONORS (2 Viewers)

NRA officer enlisted a Sandy Hook truther to sow doubt about Parkland shooting, emails show

In the week after a gunman opened fire at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., killing 17 students and staff members and renewing calls for gun control, the National Rifle Association fell silent.

But the day after the Feb. 14, 2018, shooting, an NRA training coordinator based at the group’s headquarters in Fairfax, Va., sprang into action behind the scenes. He sought information countering the official version of the grisly, and familiar, events, which involved a lone gunman and a legally purchased firearm.

For support, he turned to Wolfgang Halbig, a conspiracy theorist intent on proving that the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, which left 26 students and staff members dead in Newtown, Conn., in 2012, was a hoax.

“You have included me with a lot of Information since the Sandy Hook Incident and I do appreciate it very much,” the NRA coordinator, Mark Richardson, wrote on Feb. 15, 2018, according to emails published by HuffPost on Wednesday. “Concerning what happened in Florida yesterday, I have been asking the question and no one else seems to be asking it.”

He pushed the deluded idea that the gunman, a former student at the school, had not acted alone, posing questions about how he had gained entry and where he had kept his equipment.

“To pull the fire alarm, he had to already be inside. Correct?” he wrote. “When my Children were in school the only way into the school was through the front door and past the main office.”

As with Sandy Hook, Richardson observed, “There is so much more to this story. He was not alone.”

Halbig, a former Florida state trooper and school administrator, replied the following day, inviting Richardson to call him to discuss the incident.

The subject line of his emailed response included, in all caps, the name Avielle Richman, one of the 20 students killed in Newtown. For years, Halbig has accused Richman’s parents of falsifying the first-grade girl’s death, writing on his website that their intention was “to steal money from hard-working Americans.”

Jeremy Richman, her father, a neuroscientist who had founded the Avielle Foundation in his daughter’s name, died in an apparent suicide on Monday, following the apparent suicides of two teenage survivors of the Parkland shooting.

The deaths returned the nation’s focus to the two communities, which have been besieged by online abuse and threats stoked by conspiracy theories that depict the victims as “crisis actors.”

But the correspondence shows how an officer of the NRA saw these theories as potentially useful to his cause. The inquiry, sent from Richardson’s work email, was evidence of the curious handshake in which the gun-rights organization has found itself with the most extreme purveyors of Internet falsehoods.
These people are monsters.

For any NRA members out there who are decent human beings and perhaps feeling a little guilty that their contributions go to stuff like this and various other NRA projects that have nothing to do with the Second Amendment or educating people on proper firearm use: next time they try to hit you up for dues, perhaps consider a donation to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's ####### disgusting....how people continue to support this organization is beyond me.  They have become, 100% a political machine.  Time for the logical ones to cut their losses and start a legit group.

TobiasFunke said:
NRA officer enlisted a Sandy Hook truther to sow doubt about Parkland shooting, emails show

For any NRA members out there who are decent human beings and perhaps feeling a little guilty that their contributions go to stuff like this and various other NRA projects that have nothing to do with the Second Amendment or educating people on proper firearm use: next time they try to hit you up for dues, perhaps consider a donation to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention instead.
Disgusting and vile. I don’t have anything else to say, I just want to bump the story for others to read.

TobiasFunke said:

Careful, GB.

Add this to the list of 

I can only imagine the "defense" to this in that thread....what a group of disgusting people.  It really does make me sick to my stomach.
Add this to the list.

NRA opposes the Violence Against Women Act.   For all their lip service of "let's target criminals" and their claimed support for "red flag" laws, in action they oppose any and all legislation that would result in less profits for gun manufacturers.  Oh, and it looks like the GOP asked them to come out against it so they'd have cover when GOP Senators vote against it.  

TobiasFunke said:

The NRA is a monster. No doubt.

That'd be Florida.

Enacted in 2018 I do believe.
Oh...yeah.  Our laws only apply to purchases from a dealer.  Individuals are allowed to take two guns to sell as they wish, even if it's to other customers of the show...don't have to wait or do background checks in that case.  This is the loophole they always talk about.  If you have a conceal carry permit you don't have to wait three days at all.  You can take it with you that day.  

ETA:  There are some counties attempting to close this loophole so even within the state "it depends" is very much in play.

The Commish said:
Where you're at is the exception, not the rule.  What state are you in?
Florida. Maybe you haven’t been to a gun show in a while. Unless you have a cwp you have to wait 3 days. Of course if my cousin just wants me to buy his gun no waiting no checking as has been the case forever.

Florida. Maybe you haven’t been to a gun show in a while. Unless you have a cwp you have to wait 3 days. Of course if my cousin just wants me to buy his gun no waiting no checking as has been the case forever.
This is only a requirement if purchased from a dealer as I outlined above.  Some counties have imposed additional requirements, but it's not uniform across the state.  Go to a gun show, purchase from another private citizen, no waiting.  Last set of stats I saw from Orange County was over 60% of the gun sales at the gun shows were private citizen to private citizen.

This is only a requirement if purchased from a dealer as I outlined above.  Some counties have imposed additional requirements, but it's not uniform across the state.  Go to a gun show, purchase from another private citizen, no waiting.  Last set of stats I saw from Orange County was over 60% of the gun sales at the gun shows were private citizen to private citizen.
Cool. I don’t like laws that infringe upon the 2nd amendment.

Cool. I don’t like laws that infringe upon the 2nd amendment.
Ok?

I only jumped in because you asserted what Tim was saying wasn't true....full stop.  That's not accurate.  It depends where you are and then it depends on the circumstance under which you purchase.  Tim's comment is generally true even in your (our) state.  The situation of which you speak is ONLY if you purchase from dealers and a majority of purchases typically aren't from dealers.  Glad we could clear that up :thumbup:  

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/nra-tax-exempt-status-the-trace_n_5cb9e5d7e4b032e7ceb7c7d3

A massive new report by The Trace, in conjunction with The New Yorker, alleges that the gun lobbying group has willfully obscured where its money goes, permitted multiple conflicts of interest and engaged in dubious payout arrangements, all while crying out to its members for more donations.       

Marc Owens, former head of the Internal Revenue Service division that oversees tax-exempt enterprises, told The Trace that the “litany of red flags is just extraordinary.”

“The materials reflect one of the broadest arrays of likely transgressions that I’ve ever seen,” Owens said. “There is a tremendous range of what appears to be the misuse of assets for the benefit of certain vendors and people in control. Those facts, if confirmed, could lead to the revocation of the NRA’s tax-exempt status.”

A pair of legal groups sued the Federal Election Commission on Wednesday, seeking to compel the agency to enforce the law amid what they allege is mounting evidence that the National Rifle Association has engaged in “an elaborate scheme … to unlawfully coordinate with candidates it supports for federal office,” including with the 2016 presidential campaign of Donald Trump.

The Campaign Legal Center, a nonpartisan campaign finance watchdog, filed the lawsuit on behalf of the Giffords Law Center, a gun-control advocacy group led by former Democratic lawmaker from Arizona Gabby Giffords. The lawsuit accuses the NRA of “using a network of shell corporations” to circumvent contribution limits and coordinate approximately $35 million in advertisement spending with the campaigns of at least seven Republican candidates over the last three election cycles, “thereby making millions of dollars of illegal, unreported, and excessive in-kind contributions.”
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/watchdog-groups-sue-federal-agency-nras-alleged-campaign/story?id=62626150

So sad to see the NRA fighting itself.   What does the pretty girl who is the spokesperson for the NRA have to say?  

Apple Jack said:
There was an all-world twitter thread last week after James Woods botched the delivery of that line. Worth looking up honestly.
Woods got suspended over it. 
Here's the initial tweet:

"If you try to kill the King, you better not miss." #HangThemAll

I can't imagine being suspended for that. Maybe he had a follow-up tweet that was worse?

NRA basically blamed Philando Castile for his own death and threw him under the bus for having weed in the car, when they should have went to bat for his 2A rights.  Joke organization.  

Users who are viewing this thread