What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NRA ADMITS ACCEPTING MONEY FROM 23 RUSSIA-LINKED DONORS (2 Viewers)

From Tobias' link:

At this point, the N.R.A. has acknowledged receiving just over $2,500 from Russians or people living in Russia, mostly for dues payments and magazine subscriptions.
The full piece here:

At this point, the N.R.A. has acknowledged receiving just over $2,500 from Russians or people living in Russia, mostly for dues payments and magazine subscriptions. But that doesn’t tell us anything about money that might have been routed through shell companies, like, for example, Bridges, the limited liability corporation that Butina and Erickson set up in South Dakota in February 2016.

From OP link:

The money totaled $2,500, with most of it coming from subscriptions or membership dues, according to the letter, which was released Wednesday and first reported on by NPR. About $525 of that money came from "two individuals who made contributions to the NRA," wrote John Frazer, the general counsel for the gun rights group. The 23 people "may include U.S. citizens living in Russia," the NRA said. 
Again the full piece:

The National Rifle Association has accepted contributions from at least 23 Russia-linked donors since 2015, the gun rights group revealed in a letter addressed to Congress. The admission came after Senator Ron Wyden, an Oregon Democrat, prodded the NRA as part of an investigation into what political organizations may have been used by Russia to influence the 2016 election in favor of Donald Trump.  

The money totaled $2,500, with most of it coming from subscriptions or membership dues, according to the letter, which was released Wednesday and first reported on by NPR. About $525 of that money came from "two individuals who made contributions to the NRA," wrote John Frazer, the general counsel for the gun rights group. The 23 people "may include U.S. citizens living in Russia," the NRA said. 

Kremlin-linked politician Alexander Torshin, a "life member" of the NRA since 2012, was among the list of donors, but Frazer said the organization was "currently reviewing our responsibilities with respect to him" after the Russian national was listed last week in new U.S. sanctions. In January, McClatchy DC first reported that FBI officials were investigating whether Torshin, who is also a deputy head of Russia's central bank, had illegally funneled money to the NRA in an effort to help Trump.

Although a paltry sum compared with the millions the NRA's lobbying arm has already spent this year, the $2,500 in donations paints a different picture than previous on-the-record disclosures. The gun rights group told ABC News that it had only one contribution from a Russian individual since 2012.
And one more:

On Monday, a few hours after news broke of Butina’s arrest, the Treasury Department announced a new rule sparing some tax-exempt groups, including the N.R.A., from having to report their large donors to the I.R.S. Wyden called the move “truly grotesque,” saying it would “make it easier for Russian dark money” to flow into American politics.
A couple points:

- Obviously no one gives a damn about fees and subscriptions.

- Spies go to jail, that's Butina right now.

- I take it this kind of reporting of political donations was not affected by the Citizens United ruling, though I am not sure. I would think this kind of transparency would be covered by campaign finance laws.

Last edited by a moderator:
:shrug:

They are citing directly from documents filed by the NRA in court.

So, it less reporting, and more cutting and pasting.

But, if you choose not to believe the NRA, its understandable.
Remember, the right believes that Alex Jones lies in court and tells the real truth on YouTube.

Matthias said:
NRA: We're in trouble and in danger of going out of business

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nra-says-new-york-blacklisting-campaign-driving-it-out-business-n897521?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma

The heart of the National Rifle Association’s mission is to block the government from taking people’s guns.

Now the Second Amendment advocacy group says the government is trying to put it out of business.

The NRA said in a recent court filing that New York state’s campaign to push insurance companies and banks to cut ties with the organization had already cost it “tens of millions of dollars” this year and could ultimately make it “unable to exist as a not-for-profit or pursue its advocacy mission.”

Unless the courts step in and stop New York, “the NRA will suffer irrevocable loss and irreparable harm if it is unable to acquire insurance or other financial services,” the group said in a complaint submitted in federal court on July 20.

Even before the fight with New York, the NRA was struggling financially, reporting a $45 million budget deficit in 2016 tax documents.
Personally I think they are exaggerating for effect

Matthias said:
Probably. But the $45mm loss and Russia connections are real.
Oh sure, but much harder to hide the foreign money if the flow of domestic dollars is slowing down

We gave away millions and millions during the last election. Now we have no money. What did you think would happen? 

How about “despite another school shooting we are digging in our heels to stifle any sort of gun regulation” has perhaps resulted in a lot of people not wanting to give you their money. Or perhaps the foreign money was relied on more than previously thought. 

msommer said:
Personally I think they are exaggerating for effect
I am inclined to agree. Though this alleged financial distress may be why the Russians have been able to open a channel through them.

Matthias said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nra-says-new-york-blacklisting-campaign-driving-it-out-business-n897521?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma

The heart of the National Rifle Association’s mission is to block the government from taking people’s guns.

Now the Second Amendment advocacy group says the government is trying to put it out of business.

The NRA said in a recent court filing that New York state’s campaign to push insurance companies and banks to cut ties with the organization had already cost it “tens of millions of dollars” this year and could ultimately make it “unable to exist as a not-for-profit or pursue its advocacy mission.”

Unless the courts step in and stop New York, “the NRA will suffer irrevocable loss and irreparable harm if it is unable to acquire insurance or other financial services,” the group said in a complaint submitted in federal court on July 20.

Even before the fight with New York, the NRA was struggling financially, reporting a $45 million budget deficit in 2016 tax documents.
Thoughts and prayers 

I wish I knew about this thread last week when people were jumping on me thinking I couldn't produce examples of fake news.  :lmao:

Matthias said:

buh bye!

The reason, according to the NRA filing, is not its deep entanglement with alleged Russian agents like Maria Butina.
:lmao:

Bless their fake raping little hearts. (In case people are somehow unaware of just how discredited and disgusting Rolling Stone is: A  B  C

I did not realize Rolling Stone still had an audience, probably the same people who used to read Gawker.
:coffee:

no more or less so than the Brady Campaign - and both give their people information legally right ?
My favorite part was when Greg's campaign manager, Rusty, suggested that they spread a rumor about Marcia being seen at the movies with that creep Felix Brown.   Greg is appalled that Rusty wants to resort to dirty politics and  threatens to kick Rusty's ### from here to the Grand Canyon.  

Greg Brady >>>>>> the entire modern day GOP 

My favorite part was when Greg's campaign manager, Rusty, suggested that they spread a rumor about Marcia being seen at the movies with that creep Felix Brown.   Greg is appalled that Rusty wants to resort to dirty politics and  threatens to kick Rusty's ### from here to the Grand Canyon.  

Greg Brady >>>>>> the entire modern day GOP 
Sure but to be fair Greg was groovy. 

Users who are viewing this thread