What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ronald Jones Player Spotlight (1 Viewer)

rzrback77

Footballguy
There are abundant opinions on Ronald Jones’ prospects this season for Tampa Bay. On the positive side, they drafted him in the second round at 38th overall. He has good vision and excels in the open field. Jones is often compared to Jamaal Charles, due to his smallish size and quick feet, but does he have the size to hold up under a three-down load? He has abundant plays where he scores on long running plays, but quite a few of them are sweeps where he is never touched. Can he run the ball up the middle? His escape ability leads one to expect him to be featured as a receiver, but he caught only 32 passes in three seasons at USC. Is he suited to that role and can he block well enough to get on the field in obvious passing situations? Tampa Bay's running back depth chart is filled with role player types that have some experience, but none with lengthy histories of carrying the load. Can Peyton Barber, Charles Sims or Jacquizz Rodgers keep Jones in a running back by committee his first season? What are you expecting from the rookie, Ronald Jones this season in Tampa Bay?

Really happy to see these threads back in the SP.  Thanks for listening @Joe Bryant, and thanks for giving it a go @staff 

I like Ronald Jones this year.  I think he has the talent and physique to be an every down back, but it is very possible that his career trajectory is more Ronnie Harmon than Thurman Thomas.  He appeared to be a fluid, if underused, pass catcher and, in my very unskilled assessment is more of a glider as a runner.  IMO there isn't much by way of long term competition on the roster but both Sims, in the passing game and Barber in the running game have shown flashes of ability.  But neither of them appear to be a complete RB that make defenses worry about what is coming.

Being a rookie makes it very difficult to project him for redraft purposes but, as a dynasty/keeper play I like him a lot.

I was impressed with Ronald Jones' USC game cut-ups when I was formulating my rookie draft rankings. He has some great vision, and is a fluid runner with good lateral agility. His metrics are a bit concerning however. While I'm generally not one to label a back as "too small" to carry the load, I do feel that only weighing 200 pounds at 6' is a little concerning. Making matters worse is the fact that he doesn't have elite speed to compensate for his slight frame. In fact he only displayed average speed at the combine - even for a "normal" sized back. In that regard the Jamaal Charles comparisons seems a bit misguided.

His draft position will surely mean that he will get the chance to grab hold of the Tampa Bay backfield, but Peyton Barber showed to be a capable hard-nosed runner in his late season audition last year. Making matters worse, while Jones is likely a capable receiver out of the backfield, he did not catch a lot of passes in college and 3rd down back Charles Simms was brought back for another season by the Bucs. Simms is not very impressive though, so Jones could make him obsolete if he works hard at becoming an option in the passing game.

From a dynasty perspective Jones is as good a bet as any of the options after Barkley and Guice, but in redraft, I do think this could be a season where Jones has some growing pains and Tampa works Barber and maybe Simms into the mix more than Jones' owners would like to see.

Early projections: 185 carries for 734 yards with 4 rushing TDs / 22 receptions for 135 yards

One of the side effects I think of the unreal performance of last years rookie RB class, and particularly the RB's selected on Day 2 (Hunt, Kamara, Cook), is that up until last year, RB's drafted on Day 2 had a very limited amount of FF success their rookie years.

There are a lot of factors that probably contribute to that - drafted into an RBBC situation, not ready for a significant snap load, pass protection issues/transition.

For Jones, it's not as if he has a treacherous climb for snaps - Peyton Barber performed well enough as a player who was 'next up' when Doug Martin burned his final TB bridge.  But the other two criteria listed above are unknowns.  Unless an RB is drafted to be 'the guy', like Cook was last year, it's extremely tough to gauge what they'll do/be.  Hunt became a monster, but he did so by circumstance. 

The red flags for me on Jones for 2017 have to do with his ability to carry a 1) significant workload 2) goal-line work 3) passing game work (easy yards).  All of these are necessary for an RB to really carry consistent game-to-game value.  And these are legitimate questions.  Now - as with any rook, what you see/hear from TC will matter.  Dalvin Cook really skyrocketed during TC last year as it became evident that he was going to be the man.  So I'll keep my options open here, but I'm in firm wait-and-see mode.

He's a good prospect overall, but likely mattering much more to dynasty owners.

As others have noted, he's got a bit of a thin frame for a guy we would hope to be a workhorse back. It's a little unsettling but overall I won't let it deter me too much - he's a young rookie and could transform himself kind of like Priest Holmes (looked skinny early on, but solid as a vet). I think he's a pretty good all-round back in an above average situation with average at best competition. In the age of PPR, his lack of college receptions will throw up a red flag, but all too often capable receiving backs are just not used in that phase of the game in college for one reason or another. From what I've seen, he looks like a capable pass catcher as well as pass blocker. This should help him get on the field and stay on the field. 

The Tampa offense looked shaky last year as Winston had a rough start coupled with an injury. The offensive line isn't very strong. But the firepower is there in Winston, Evans, DeSean, Godwin, and Howard/Brate. So whoever is in the backfield won't be the focus of the defense. Barber and Sims are both decent at what they do, so he could get off to a slow start if the HC makes him put in his dues, but I expect at some point this season they'll start to lean on him more. Just two years ago Doug Martin had a career resurgence in the same offense, so the upside is there. I think his price is pretty fair in redraft at RB24, behind other rookies Guice and Penny. I'd still recommend pairing him up with some lower risk/lower ceiling guys sitting behind him in the ADP. I'd be very happy to acquire him in dynasty, though.

I think Peyton Barber gets his share of carries in this offense. Barber has trimmed down and is a talented runner to begin with. His experience gives him an edge for a team who has pressure to start turning their talent into “W’s”.

I think Peyton Barber gets his share of carries in this offense. Barber has trimmed down and is a talented runner to begin with. His experience gives him an edge for a team who has pressure to start turning their talent into “W’s”.
Exactly this. I like Jones, but teams just don't put productive players on the bench. Sims doesn't worry me at all, I've seen enough of him, but truth be told, they really didn't need to draft a RB to be the starter. They did though, and I'm not saying Jones is the backup, but Barber isn't just going away.

Jones is one of the few rookie RBs that I think ends up emerging getting the lions share of the action early in his career. Both on the ground and through the air. FBG has him currently ranked RB6 in dynasty. I think this is incredible value. I see him RB3 out of the rookies for dynasty, and excited about his opportunities going forward.

I'm not worried about any other guy on the roster. Where he was selected in the draft tells me all I need to know about how the Bucs feel about their RB depth chart.

He's not a "three down back" but I think in today's NFL that term isn't really meaningful. Also, the Bucs will likely be a passing team with at least a 60/40 split. He'll get plenty of touches as the Bucs' #1 player.

Where he fits in overall rankings...I don't know. I think his total PPR points will be in the Christian McCaffrey neighborhood.

I'm not worried about any other guy on the roster. Where he was selected in the draft tells me all I need to know about how the Bucs feel about their RB depth chart.

He's not a "three down back" but I think in today's NFL that term isn't really meaningful. Also, the Bucs will likely be a passing team with at least a 60/40 split. He'll get plenty of touches as the Bucs' #1 player.

Where he fits in overall rankings...I don't know. I think his total PPR points will be in the Christian McCaffrey neighborhood.
That seems aggressive for a prospect that does not have nearly the pass catching resume as McCaffrey. Especially when they have a proven pass catching/blocking RB in Sims. 

That seems aggressive for a prospect that does not have nearly the pass catching resume as McCaffrey. Especially when they have a proven pass catching/blocking RB in Sims. 
No, that's true but I guesstimate he can make up the difference in additional rushing yards and a TD or two more.

1200 combined yards, 30-ish catches and 8-9 TDs gets him in that neighborhood.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ronald Jones is an interesting RB prospect. As people have pointed out he is a bit tall for RB but not very heavy. So his frame is something that perhaps he will want to add weight and armor up a bit by adding some muscle mass, which will help him break tackles and gain yards after contact, something his other gifts as a runner were less necessary at the college level. I do expect that he will do so and the process of this has likely already begun.

Based on the 4 games of Jones that I have charted for positive traits, his best trait is his vision and spatial awareness to read the defense and always be one step ahead of their reactions. I think Chaka made a very good observation that Jones is more of a glider than a slasher, He is running under control and has very good footwork to time his steps with the blocking and the flow of the defense. He doesn't waste momentum with unnecessary steps. He runs under control and knows how and when to shift gears to give defenders poor angles. He doesn't make sudden juke moves often, which is something that I love in RB who do, in the early process of watching him this kind of bothered me, as I am looking for RB who do that, who can just make defenders look foolish with great cuts and elusiveness. Over time though I realized that he was running under control so well, that he did not often need this Houdini like move to make the first tackler miss.

After vision his next best trait from the 4 games I charted was his pad level. Ronald Jones runs with good forward lean and he runs under control, providing a small target for defenders to hit. He gains yardage after contact most of the time by forcing a glancing blow from the defender that allows him to still fall forward and stretch for extra yards. He really doesn't have very good power, but he does have good pad level and technique to gain yards after contact.

After vision and  pad level his next two best traits are his burst and his footwork. Ronald Jones has this extra gear where he can get to top speed very suddenly and gain chunk yards because of this very good ability to accelerate to top speed. He reminds me a lot of Melvin Gordon in this aspect of his running style/ability. He can just cover a lot of space quickly and this puts stress on the defense because he was get behind or outside angles with burst that they are not quick enough to react to. His footwork is excellent, he is able to pick his way through traffic and maintain good control and balance his footwork. This is also related to what I was talking about before, with not seeing many extreme jump cuts, he can change direction very smoothly without wasted motion, even when using his great burst and acceleration because of his footwork.

Obviously because of the above combination of abilities Jones also has good balance. While he isn't powerful, defenders who do not wrap up may find that Jones has slipped off the hit and is still going.

I don't really pay attention to the combine data in regards to Jones. I believe he had an injury that hurt his performance on those drills. I can see the speed he has from watching him, and the excellent burst and acceleration. So I don't really care what those numbers say. Jones is pretty fast.

The questions about him as a receiver is something I have discussed quite a bit in this thread. What I see is Jones running some pretty good routes. He is wide open several times but Sam Darnold just fails to see him. On one play in particular he is running downfield with no defenders near him about 10 yards down the left sideline. If Darnold would just lead him on this play, Jones is going to gain 15 to 20 yards easily, maybe take it to the house, who knows. But instead Sam throws to his WR over the middle of the field and is picked off for an interception. Jones was so wide open he is putting his hand up begging for the ball.

I like the way Jones runs routes. I think he should have been used as a receiver more in college, but you have a QB who doesn't see him. Another reason why Jones didn't catch that many passes in college is because he is such an excellent pass blocker. I know he doesn't have a lot of weight on his bones, but he knows how to get low and get leverage. His blocking technique is very good. Similar to the pad level, Jones wins these assignments with the right leverage and being in the right position to make the block. His vision helps here as well as he reads the rushing defenders and pretty consistently figures out the biggest pass rush threat and solves that problem. When Jones was going out on pass routes, the USC pass protection would break down a lot. He was that good of a blocker that his presence was missed when they didn't have him blocking.

So I expect that skillset to carry over to the NFL level and Jones will not be slowed down for playing time because he needs to work on his blocking. His technique in pass protection is already very good.

I expect the Bucs to be in either 3 WR or 2 TE 2 WR formations most of the time on offense. I think Jones is a nice fit into these alignments, for one because of his ability as a blocker. Two his vision to exploit creases in a lighter box, and 3 the ability to burst and gain yardage outside the tackles if the Bucs find a mismatch from their 2 TE sets to spring him there.

I have a concern that Winston is much like Darnold, always looking to push the ball downfield instead of taking the check down, so this may limit some of Jones opportunity as a receiver. I think Jones is very capable of being used as a receiver frequently though, just not sure if he will be or not in this offense.

The Bucs have a lot of very good skill players at WR and TE to keep defenses honest. I can see Jones facing some light boxes at times because of how good the receivers are getting extra attention from the defense. The Bucs defense is still a work in progress. They have been terrible in coverage and part of that is because of the teams lack of pass rush as well. They just let other teams throw all day on them, they can't seem to stop it, so why not? And of course this forces their offense to throw the ball a lot trying to keep up. I am not really seeing much reason to expect improvement there and so the pass to run ratio for the Bucs will remain pretty high until this does change (if then).

Peyton Barber is a player who does not concern me much although I admit I haven't spent much time learning about Barber. He just never really interested me. I don't see what he is really good at. I can get pretty sick about watching some longshot RB at times just because I enjoy doing that. Barber is a player I didn't really feel like was worth the time. Maybe I am wrong about this as I only watched briefly some highlights of him where I was unimpressed and didn't look into him further after that.

For those talking about Barber putting up numbers at the end of last season,. He basically had one very good game against the Packers 24% of his total rushing yards for the year was in this game. He had a decent game against the Saints in the last week of the season, otherwise he was barely putting up 60 combined yards, which is something any RB in the NFL could likely do with that amount of opportunity. 

Sims and Rodgers concern me more mixing in as receivers (limiting Jones opportunity there) than Barber does as a runner.

So I see Jones playing a lot of snaps and getting the majority of the RB opportunities because Jones can block, no need to take him off the field. Jones fits the personnel packages that I expect Tampa Bay to be running most of the time better than I think the other RB do. Tampa Bay has shown a willingness or even a preference for a feature RB to get most of the work as evidenced with Doug Martins 288 rushing attempts and 44 targets in 2015. The RBBC recently is more out of necessity than preference. They want a feature RB and I think this is why the selected Jones because they think he will fit in well with what the rest of their offense is trying to do.

Buccaneers offense the last 3 seasons:

2017 1035 plays 605pa 390ra
2016 1066 plays 578pa 453ra
2015 1017 plays 535pa 455ra (Doug Martin 288ra 44 targets. Winstons rookie year)

3 year average 1039 plays 573pa 433ra (this leaves 33 plays unaccounted for.

As we can see the pass attempts for Winston have gone up as he has gained more experience. The 33 left over plays I will assume are sacks.

I think Jones could earn 65% of the teams rushing attempts even as a rookie, but as he is a rookie, I will go with 60% instead. That would be 260 rushing attempts. As the lead RB who will be spelled in some passing situations for Sims or Rodgers I will guess Jones get 45 targets from Winstron, similar to what Martin got in 2015 even though Sims had 70 targets as well that season (more than Martins 44). 260 rushing attempts is kind of high for a rookie. The conservative side of me wants to say that will be more like 240.

Assuming an average catch rate for a RB of 73% this would be 33 receptions.

Just using league averages for ypc and ypr Ronald Jones 240 rushing attempts 1008 yards 33 receptions 246 yards 6 TD which is 161 points in standard (RB 15 using the average of the last 3 seasons) 194 points in PPR (RB 17 using the average of the last 3 seasons) or solid but not spectacular numbers that should have Jones performing as a RB two over the course of the season with some big games and some dud games along the way. 

As a dynasty asset I have ranked Ronald Jones as a tier one RB prospect, which means I think he has the upside to finish as a top 12 RB within the next 3 seasons. The rookie season is the least likely of those seasons for it to happen based on historical evidence of the rookie year being the lowest VBD on average for all RB first 6 seasons in the league. How I think he will do that after this season is due to more volume in terms of rushing attempts and receptions in 2019 or 2020.

I think Jones is less risk of busting than Rashaad Penny or Nick Chubb although I do consider these 3 players all very close in my view. In my charting of the RB Jones was the closest to Guice in average overall score per game. So me placing him ahead of Penny and Chubb is largely based off of that as well. 

I don't really see the Jamal Charles comparison, perhaps some body type and running style similarities? Jones is fast but he is not that fast (like Charles was). His play style reminds me more of Melvin Gordon, although with a bit less power.

The Bucs have a lot of very good skill players at WR and TE to keep defenses honest. I can see Jones facing some light boxes at times because of how good the receivers are getting extra attention from the defense. The Bucs defense is still a work in progress. They have been terrible in coverage and part of that is because of the teams lack of pass rush as well. They just let other teams throw all day on them, they can't seem to stop it, so why not? And of course this forces their offense to throw the ball a lot trying to keep up. I am not really seeing much reason to expect improvement there and so the pass to run ratio for the Bucs will remain pretty high until this does change (if then).
Only major qualm I have with that well thought out and insightful post @Biabreakable is the above.  Tampa traded for JPP and signed Vinny Curry.  They have Noah Spence returning from injury.  They re-signed the ageless Brent Grimes.  They drafted Vea to collapse the pocket next to McCoy and added a long man to man corner for the outside in Carlton Davis to allow Vernon Hargreaves to stick at nickel where he actually played well. I would expect their pass defense to improve greatly from what it was a year ago.

As for Jones and his playing time.  Assuming the little things, blocking, playbook, etc.  I would expect him to begin earning the majority of touches by mid-season.  Koetter is obsessed with "explosives," and Jones is the only player with the ability to break off those explosive plays.  He also really wants to run the ball, as evidenced by the numbers you posted for 2015 when the Bucs were actually good at it.  Koetter won't shy away from handing it off if it's working.  They like Barber, but don't think he's special the way Jones could be.

Glass half empty of half full, but I liked reading the other day that after dropping a pass in practice Jones stayed well after the final whistle to work on catching passes and running routes.

Yeah Grahamburn their pass defense may be improved. If it is then it seems that the Bucs will run the ball a bit more. I think the defense playing better perhaps helps Jones, but maybe it doesn't matter that much either way. I do think the Bucs should be able to run more offensive plays if the defense improves.

Ill start off by saying I haven’t been a huge fan of RoJo through the draft process. I think his workout metrics are more reflective of his athleticism than most have been willing to admit and with him being 205 it’s not the best combination of metrics. The good news is he is the youngest back of this draft so he can definitely fill out. Clinton Portis probably finished his career at 220 and definitely a different kind of player than when he first entered the league. 

Looking back at the last 7 years of Dirk Koetter (where I believe he had full autonomy in Atlanta and Tampa Bay and then defaulted to Del Rio’s wants in Jacksonville), one thing becomes clear very quickly and that’s he wants to throw the ball. Through his time in TB and ATL his pass attempts were 605, 578, 535, 632, 659, and 615. The lowest pass to run ratio being Winston’s rookie season at 54%. This is far from ideal for both Jones and the rest of Tampa Bay’s running game. 

As for Jones, I’m trying to take into account that they didn’t draft him highly to sit the bench but looking at history I don’t believe this is a friendly situation though. Charles Sims has ate a number of targets under Koetter, maxing out at 70 in ‘15 and having 50 last season. Quiz Rodgers has been on Koetter’s teams 5 of the last 6 seasons and his lowest carry total in those years is 58. I’m not justifying the great or goodness of either of those players but when you factor them in with a Jones/Barber split it’s hard for me to be a fan even as a volume hog. Especially as I’m projecting a rather low RB total attempt number at 385 carries.

The good news would be that there have been moments where Koetter has relied on a workhorse. Those backs happened to be 1400 yd Doug Martin, late career SJax and prime MJD. Not really backs that Jones style emulates. I think my biggest problem with him is that he struggled on interior runs in college. I don’t think it’s clear what the Bucs want from him for a role right now and I’m not sure he’s built to be a bell cow at this level.

Projection:

Jones 

191att 821yds 4.3ypc 4TD

33tgt 24rec 228yd 1TD

I think that’s closer to a ceiling than a floor. I’ll be shying away from TB’s backfield in general as it seems Koetter is not a ground and pound guy I’ve learned. 

Bojang0301 said:
I’m projecting a rather low RB total attempt number at 385 carries.
I assume you mean this is the RB share of rushing attempts not the total rushing attempts (which includes QB and WR runs as well) ?

How did you arrive at this number?

Winston has averaged 47 rushing attempts in his first 3 seasons and the Bucs have averaged 433 total rushing attempts over the last 3 seasons. 

433 - 47 = 386 very close to your prediction.

Your projection for Jones is 49% of the RB rushing attempts. This leaves 194 RB rushing attempts for other RB yet this is Jones ceiling in the offense?

Yeah you really don't like Jones.

Barber or someone is going to be worth having if your prediction is correct.

I assume you mean this is the RB share of rushing attempts not the total rushing attempts (which includes QB and WR runs as well) ?

How did you arrive at this number?

Winston has averaged 47 rushing attempts in his first 3 seasons and the Bucs have averaged 433 total rushing attempts over the last 3 seasons. 

433 - 47 = 386 very close to your prediction.

Your projection for Jones is 49% of the RB rushing attempts. This leaves 194 RB rushing attempts for other RB yet this is Jones ceiling in the offense?

Yeah you really don't like Jones.

Barber or someone is going to be worth having if your prediction is correct.
I have Barber at 120 carries. He was highly consistent between the tackles where I project Jones to struggle. I’m not sure how you grade Jones so highly. It was clear he can’t create on his own when the edge is taken away from him. Ohio State and Texas ate his lunch. I think my projection is fairly friendly for a guy I’m not fond of. I at least project volume for him in an offense that will not offer a lot of RB volume. You can say the Bucs have had ~450 carries at times but Koetter’s offenses in ATL had 372, 321 and 378 carries and, like I said, he is always friendly about getting Quizz Rodgers undeserved carries. This isn’t a great offense to buy a RB. It’s an illusion from a Doug Martin 1400yd season. I think the RB’s rank as the 5th most talented option to go to any time Evans, DJax, Godwin and Howard on the field.

Bojang0301 said:
I think that’s closer to a ceiling than a floor. I’ll be shying away from TB’s backfield in general as it seems Koetter is not a ground and pound guy I’ve learned. 
I really like Barber, and agree he'll get carries, but no way is that Jones' ceiling. I'm expecting a time share to start the season, and if Jones looks good, he;ll take over. Barber is good, but just a mere speed bump in Jones' career.

I really like Barber, and agree he'll get carries, but no way is that Jones' ceiling. I'm expecting a time share to start the season, and if Jones looks good, he;ll take over. Barber is good, but just a mere speed bump in Jones' career.
It’s not that I’m a huge fan of Barber. It’s that he excels where I think Jones will struggle. 1050 combined yards is a nice season. I’m projecting way more efficiency than he ever showed in the passing game in college. I don’t think he gets much more volume than I’m suggesting just based off of what I was previously saying about Koetter being extremely pass happy. Running the numbers, I don’t see Tampa Bay as a lucrative RB opportunity. If Jones outdoes what I’m saying it’s because he ends up being overly efficient and not that he has increased volume I feel. I don’t like predicting extreme’s on efficiency with few exceptions. 

Excellent threadso far guys.  Learning a lot about Jones.  But when you give your analysis, also be sure to say where you view him relative to the other backs in this rookie class like Barkley, guice, Sony, Chubb, Freeman, kerryon.   

Killer posts in here.....strictly from an redraft angle....looking at his current ADP (RB24) give or take depending on where you get your info....Jones is going after some of these guys

Drake...Henry...Collins...Ajayi...Ingram....Penny....Juice..

But ahead of these guys....

Miller....Lewis...Michel....Freeman....Coleman...Mack...Thompson...Hyde...Duke...Lynch..

I'm not real great with all the measureables, I tend to focus on talent and opportunity....Jones is dripping with both....its pretty much a given that TB as a whole was a pretty big disappointment last year....they were looking to add some juice/pop to this team and I think Jones will be given every opportunity to be that spark...I get some of the hangover Barber love from last year, but there is a reason TB took this dude and I really don't see Barber as much more than a L. Murray last year in MIN (had Cook not gone down)....Barber may see some action early but I quickly see him being relegated to a breather series here or there spelling Jones....Barber/Sims aren't super dangerous...I think Jones brings a little more to the table in terms of chunk plays...personally I think if you can accept the fact that he may not come busting out of the gates, and you have patience, I think he becomes an every week RB2 with plenty of RB1 performances fairly quickly....if I already have a RB1 on board, I tend to roll the dice a little more at RB2 and look for that home run...at current ADP, that means I would probably "reach" for him over Drake (who I think is going to struggle more than people think), Collins, Ajayi, Ingram, Penny....so I think he is slotted a little low...talent is obviously there and IMO so is the opportunity because Barber and Sims do not worry me at all....and I think that is going to be the biggest knock in keeping him down is because people are worried about Barber and Sims, two guys that initially couldn't get past a really bad Doug Martin....had Martin had just an average year and then moved on.....we wouldn't be hearing all this noise about Barber/Sims and everybody would be saying Jones has the keys to himself...

RB24 sounds right to me. I like Jones, but I think the Bucs also value Barber and Sims and will likely keep them involved. Its fair to wonder if Jones will see goal line carries or 3rd down work, though Sims has been pretty injury prone in the past.

Projection:

Jones 

191att 821yds 4.3ypc 4TD

33tgt 24rec 228yd 1TD
That is pretty much my expectation as well, with possibly a lower YPC.

Jones has good lateral agility and while he pulled his hammy during his 40 at the combine, he seems to have home run speed.  He's tall and a little underweight at 6 foot, 205 lbs, but he is a capable inside runner, fights for the extra yard and falls forward well. 

That might be a recipe for injury, or for coaches to cut back on his carries.  But I expect him to do well with the volume he gets. Don't forget that he has one of the best speed receivers of this generation on one side and one of the best outside receivers on the other, with two tight ends blocking for him including one who is an absolute mauler.   He should have space to run and be a home run threat. 

The question will be what he gets for volume.  

I am not worried about Peyton Barber. I am worried that they're already talking about splitting carries with Barber.  Even if you think he's a Jamaal Charles clone, that's not a sign that they want to give him a Jamaal Charles workload. 

For redraft I think his ceiling is limited by the possible suspension of his quarterback, the time share, and, to a lesser extent, the lower volume running game Tampa typically uses.  If he breaks 1000 yards rushing, it's more likely to be 200 carries at 5 yards per run than 250 at 4 yards per run. They also have a lot of big guys to throw to when they get close to the goal line. 

And his floor is relatively low until he takes the lead role, which may not happen right away.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him under 200 carries on the year. 

I like him as a rb2 with low end rb1 upside. Somewhere around rb20 sounds right. 

He is a guy to really keep an eye in TC and preseason. I think right now his ADP of 55th overall is a wait and see median cost. If TC goes well and RoJo is starting and getting the bulk of the touches with the 1st team in preseason then he will move up the Joe Mixon, Derrick Henry, Jared McKinnon area (picks 25-30). If Barber gets a lot of 1st team work and RoJo doesn't get TC hype, he will fall back 65-70 with Dion Lewis and Carlos Hyde. He has a pretty wide landing spot. 

He is a guy to really keep an eye in TC and preseason. I think right now his ADP of 55th overall is a wait and see median cost. If TC goes well and RoJo is starting and getting the bulk of the touches with the 1st team in preseason then he will move up the Joe Mixon, Derrick Henry, Jared McKinnon area (picks 25-30). If Barber gets a lot of 1st team work and RoJo doesn't get TC hype, he will fall back 65-70 with Dion Lewis and Carlos Hyde. He has a pretty wide landing spot. 
I'd take Dion Lewis; at that price he's a steal.

What are you guys doing with Ronald Jones?  Drop him?

He had a horrible preseason, is buried on the depth chart, and was inactive the first two games.  Barber isn't playing great but it's not like if the Bucs decide to make an RB change, they will automatically turn to Jones.

My head says drop him but my love of young RB's who could be great one day says, "just wait a little longer".

I'm a little shocked at how bad the Bucs running game looks considering they're throwing for 500 yards per game you'd figure the run lanes would be open. 

I don't think there's going to be any value in this backfield ( I'm a big Barber supporter until this past weekend I dont see this offense moving with a run game, it's through the air or nothing)

redraft/ short bench leagues, he's already been dropped. 

in keeper/ dynasty, he's a no-brainer "hold"

in deeper redraft/ larger bench redraft leagues, I can see him as a stash

Hoping there's some light at the end of the tunnel here, especially since Barber hasn't done much with the starting job.

I play in a keeper league where we keep 2 veterans and 1 rookie each year. I usually draft a top rookie, but no one fell to me this year and Jones has already been dropped.

Probably a looooooooong term hold but with 8 bench spots I can probably pull it off.

He is not.

And per local beat writers, will not be for the forseeable future.

I don't think people appreciate how bad he was in the preseason. He not only was beat out by the UDFA Shaun Wilson (in part due to special teams, but also basic RB ability) but also by every other UDFA RB on the roster. I don't just mean stats, I mean just watching his performance. He only stayed on the roster because of his draft status.  

And we saw a few things:

1) His vision sucks.
2) He was a very slow mental processor (part of (1))
2) He sucks at pass blocking.
3) He's terrible at catching the ball.

(1), (2) and (3) are fixable. (4) is not (not in a big way). It's questionable when you're a 2 down back in college who has as build like Jamaal Charles. Jones of course has some positives. He'll improve, and perhaps take massive steps forward. Barber, for example, was a below average pass catcher and blocker and struggled learning the offense due to some learning disabilities. He now has done a great job in those areas (with a limiter physical skill set) taking a big jump from last year. 

This TB offense is an aerial attack.  They prefer a pass catching back who can block and pickup blitzes.  That is not Jones.

This TB offense is an aerial attack.  They prefer a pass catching back who can block and pickup blitzes.  That is not Jones.
Then why would they have drafted him? His pass pro was not terrible in college and he averaged about one catch per game. I am buying because the cost is dirt right now. 

Jones was terrible but Barber simply has not done a single thing to cement his grasp on the RB spot. Sub 3 ypc and has caught 1 of 4 Targets. 

He didn't win the job Jones lost it. Barber needs to up his game because the door for him to lose his job to Jones, or someone else, is definitely still open.

Jones was terrible but Barber simply has not done a single thing to cement his grasp on the RB spot. Sub 3 ypc and has caught 1 of 4 Targets. 

He didn't win the job Jones lost it. Barber needs to up his game because the door for him to lose his job to Jones, or someone else, is definitely still open.
1) Barber won it. He looked great in the preseason, slashing through defenses.

2) The Bucs OL has been abysmal run blocking. Currently ranked 31st by Football Outsiders. 

3) The Bucs OC, Monken, has been calling a good game passing but I don't think he's as good a play caller in rushing attack (hurt by the Bucs terrible OL coach, Warhop). I can't get All 22 here, but from what I've seen on the broadcast he's not being consistent with run calls and is also being sub-optimal in play design (for example, too many stretch zones when Barber is 100% a north-south runner). 

Which isn't to let Barber off the hook. He's limited athletically, is only an average pass catcher (better than Rojo) and certainly has made mistakes in finding holes. Barber gets the holes the OL blocks +1, and there have been no holes. 

Yesterday morning on Sirius xm fantasy channel I heard one of the hosts say that he has heard “rumors” that week 4 will be rojo’s firy game being active and they will have a package of plays for him.  

Can anyone confirm this?  

Yesterday morning on Sirius xm fantasy channel I heard one of the hosts say that he has heard “rumors” that week 4 will be rojo’s firy game being active and they will have a package of plays for him.  

Can anyone confirm this?  
The running game is obviously struggling, so it wouldn't surprise me for them to get him some looks.  However, the fact still remains that they're a pass first team and the other two backs are better receivers and blockers.  They also seem to trust Wilson more on special teams. 

Hence, Ronald Jones being inactive.  As soon as RJ steps on the field the defense starts playing run. 

The running game is obviously struggling, so it wouldn't surprise me for them to get him some looks.  However, the fact still remains that they're a pass first team and the other two backs are better receivers and blockers.  They also seem to trust Wilson more on special teams. 

Hence, Ronald Jones being inactive.  As soon as RJ steps on the field the defense starts playing run. 
He’s on my waiver wire rt now and Ivan pick him up as an fa.  I’d have to drop one of chubb or Allison to pick him up. I just can’t being myself to drop Allison.  I suppose the only way chubb sees any real action is a hyde injury, and jones might have a clearer path to more meaningful touches behind a middling talent like barber...if he ever gets activated 

I don't understand why this guy isn't even active. I wonder if there is some non-disclosed thing where he's being punished by the team?

I believe he gets his change soon....could be a nice pick up, if he’s not active again just wait to pick him up, there on bye next week and no one will pick him up , unless he’s active this week and plays well.

Users who are viewing this thread