What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Antonio Callaway - WR Dolphins now (1 Viewer)

Nope. This kid is done. Total head case and waste of physical talent. Was the same punk in Florida. 

Yet they keep giving chances to guys who run fast and can catch while there are guys busting their tail with good talent being passed over. 

When will NFL GM’s learn. Oh wait....not like they are that intelligent either. It’s a joke at this point IMO how obvious trouble makers keep getting chances. The league is full of garbage players who are classless. Embarrassing already.
it was a joke. 

i mostly agree with you.  maybe try drafting players that can catch and can run routes?   so crazy it might just work!

NFL suspended free agent WR Antonio Callaway 10 games for repeated violations of the league's substance abuse policy.

Callaway lost his appeal and will now serve his second suspension of 2019. An off-field headache dating back to his time at Florida, the 2018 fourth-rounder continues to squander his immense physical gifts. With another ban looming, Callaway will likely hear crickets once he passes through waivers unclaimed. He's young enough to bounce back, though given his baggage and uneven on-field performance, it's no guarantee the 22-year-old will earn another NFL opportunity.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Nov 15, 2019, 10:58 AM ET

Suspended free agent WR Antonio Callaway has signed with the XFL's Tampa Bay Vipers.

The XFL was supposedly going to stay away from players with off-the-field problems, but that was never realistic for a football upstart. Waived by the Browns in November, Callaway has four games remaining on the 10-game ban he was handed in November. One of the biggest names to join Vince McMahon's offseason NFL complement, Callaway has always been a major talent with equally big issues. He turned 23 just a week ago, so there is plenty of time for him to get things turned around.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jan 16, 2020, 6:44 PM ET

Free agent Antonio Callaway is recovering from a torn ACL.

Callaway never appeared in the XFL despite landing a $125K signing bonus. Injured and suspended the first 10 games, Callaway isn’t going to resurface, but he’s a 23-year-old with 4.4 speed that started his first two NFL seasons. Callaway’s comeback chances may be helped by the league’s new CBA.

SOURCE: Tampa Bay Times

Aug 21, 2020, 6:06 PM ET

Dolphins signed WR Antonio Callaway to their practice squad. 

The move makes sense for a team without much wideout depth behind DeVante Parker and Preston Williams. Callaway, two years removed from seeing 79 targets for the Browns, could become an interesting waiver add if he finds his way onto the Dolphins' game day roster. Callaway posted an impressive average depth of target of 13.8 for the 2018 Browns. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 6, 2020, 1:05 PM ET

The Miami Herald's Barry Jackson reports Antonio Callaway is suspended for the first three games.

Callaway was suspended 10 games last November. He still has three games to serve, through NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported Callaway is expected to miss seven weeks. Callaway "can attend meetings and do his injury rehab" despite his suspension. Callaway is eight months removed from ACL surgery.

SOURCE: Miami Herald

Sep 6, 2020, 1:22 PM ET

Dolphins WR Antonio Callaway is suspended until Week 8.

Callaway now is set to serve an additional four games for violating the substance abuse policy. He's a long shot to make any impact with the Dolphins, although he's at least eligible to show up to practices and meetings while serving his suspension. 

SOURCE: Pro Football Talk

Sep 18, 2020, 10:28 PM ET

Dolphins WR Antonio Callaway will return to practice Wednesday.

Signed to the practice squad last month, Callaway could quickly make his way to Miami's roster now that his suspension is over. The Dolphins sent WR Isaiah Ford to the Patriots at the trade deadline, potentially clearing a spot for Callaway.  Callaway attended meetings during his suspension and should be up to speed in Chan Gailey’s playbook. There’s a chance Callaway is active for Week 9 against the Cardinals.

SOURCE: Miami Herald

Nov 4, 2020, 9:55 AM ET

ESPN's Cameron Wolfe believes the Dolphins could promote WR Antonio Callaway to the active roster this week.

Callaway practiced with the Dolphins for the first time last week. He hasn't played since 2019 and is still picking up the offense, but Preston Williams going on IR opens a spot for him. The Dolphins have Jakeem Grant, Mack Hollins, Lynn Bowden, and Malcolm Perry behind DeVante Parker. 

SOURCE: ESPN

Nov 11, 2020, 10:32 AM ET

Before a lot of folks say a whole lot about this situation, let's deal with the facts...

Fact-Callaway has 13 Starts under his belt during the 2 years he was with the Cleveland Browns who took 105th Overall in the 2018 Draft

Fact-Callaway is only 23 years old

Fact-Callaway had 5 TDs on the Browns as a Rookie in '18 when Baker was also a rookie and they were being coached by Hue Jackson.

Fact-Miami has suddenly become a spot for players to get things turned around or look better than they ever have previously, this roster is loaded with a bunch of those guys so why can't Callaway be another welcome addition?

He has a hot young rookie under Center who doesn't have a deep cache of weapons. He has a TE, decent WR in Parker and that's really about it right now so there is nothing but open real estate right now for guys to see if they can carve out a role or make magic with Tua. 

That's what a Tuatastic QB will do for you. 

Before a lot of folks say a whole lot about this situation, let's deal with the facts...

Fact-Callaway has 13 Starts under his belt during the 2 years he was with the Cleveland Browns who took 105th Overall in the 2018 Draft

Fact-Callaway is only 23 years old

Fact-Callaway had 5 TDs on the Browns as a Rookie in '18 when Baker was also a rookie and they were being coached by Hue Jackson.

Fact-Miami has suddenly become a spot for players to get things turned around or look better than they ever have previously, this roster is loaded with a bunch of those guys so why can't Callaway be another welcome addition?

He has a hot young rookie under Center who doesn't have a deep cache of weapons. He has a TE, decent WR in Parker and that's really about it right now so there is nothing but open real estate right now for guys to see if they can carve out a role or make magic with Tua. 

That's what a Tuatastic QB will do for you. 
Now you're talking. There's potential, but it might take a week or 2 to know if he and Tua click. 

Tua was underrated in his first start, but now the hype is a little too much. 

Behind Parker and Grant?
I think that's a good question and if you saw what I wrote on Grant then you know many of us Phinsfans think he might be th sports car that was kept in the barn all these seasons. That said, i wrote the post I did in the manner I did because I was as curious as anyone and as I started peeling thru Callaway my eyebrows began to shoot up a bit and I paused and said now here's a guy with real experience, still very young and maybe a QB like Tua is just what he needs to break out and showcase with Preston out of action. Miami does not have any SURE FIRE hit after Parker and I'm not exaggerating. I think almost all Phinsfans will back me up and say we're as interested as you all who the WR2 is that is going to "step up". And if Tua hadn't looked so good spraying it all over the field to anyone with a pulse and a fish on their helmet, we might not care as much. Callaway feels like the right story at the right time and I'm saying that for a very good reason which I'll explain...Miami didn't make a Big Move and I feel like they need something extra down the stretch, something that hasn't been there that is going to kick this up another level as we proceed in 2020, that's just my belief based on what i observe of other teams over the years. 

Enter Callaway and I've seen Grant, I like him but Callaway could have a much higher ceiling. Grant might end up as a 2/55, 3/40/TD all good stuff but Callaway could end being a guy that hauls in 4-5 balls a game and what that generates in terms of production is anyone's guess but you want a ticket on the Tua Express, I've been as hard on him as I could be, but the fact is this kid stood in there and went toe to toe, I saw everything they could possibly throw at him in the last couple weeks including the way he has rebounded from being strip sacked on his 1st play as a starting QB. Tua is a winner, a fighter, a closer, and this is going to be the only week or chance you get to grab a ticket. I would think long and hard this week about each of these WRs, Grant is a lot smaller and that does make a difference, he's 5-7 and I'm betting Callaway is 6-0 at least...and I was off just a tad, he's listed 5-11. 

Soft schedule for the next 4 weeks could lead to meaningful games while you are in the playoffs. Callaway can leap his way to WR2 if he is good, there's nothing cemented in his way.  Also, Miami cannot run the football effectively and have 4-5 RBs on their roster right now while Gaskin is on I/R, even healthy he's simply average. Tua is the key to the offense right now. 

There, you got it all out of me, you decide what to do. 

Sorry got some more hype, some fo you know this stuff but his rookie season highlights...

2nd Game as an NFL Pro, 1st start ever...3/80/TD

He saw 20 targets over the next 2 weeks and only hauled in 7 catches...

5/36/TD, Start

4/62/TD, Start

5/35/TD, Start

4/79/TD, Start

He had one game with 3/84 where he didn't actually start but obviously saw a few snaps. 

The upside is there, and you can see the resume and talent and potential. Will he actually do anything? It's worth a roll of the dice, I doubt many are hunting for this guy. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Dolphins promoted WR Antonio Callaway to the active roster.

Sunday will make for Callaway's first game action since serving two suspensions and recovering from ACL surgery over the offseason. The 23-year-old was one for stacking bone-headed plays in his stint under Freddie Kitchens and the Browns last year, but perhaps Callaway has improved on the field in his time away. He'll have an opportunity to compete for Isaiah Ford's vacated slot receiver role for the rest of the season.

SOURCE: Miami Dolphins on Twitter

Nov 14, 2020, 3:24 PM ET

ChooChoo........all aboard! thx guys, I put in a waiver claim for this lotto ticket, just from all the info post here. Worth a shot.

He has all the tools has the situation, depth chart advantage, young QB, hopefully he gets it together

ChooChoo........all aboard! thx guys, I put in a waiver claim for this lotto ticket, just from all the info post here. Worth a shot.

He has all the tools has the situation, depth chart advantage, young QB, hopefully he gets it together
I can't get my hopes up for him again, but you're not wrong

These situations are always worth taking a swing at if your depth allows for it. The phrase "talent meets opportunity" bubbles to the surface quite frequently in the Shark Pool... most bubbles burst with nothing to show, but every now and then... BOOM.

There are tons of examples on both sides of this argument but I will always support taking the shot.

Dolphins waived WR Antonio Callaway.

Even without both DeVante Parker and Jakeem Grant on Sunday, Callaway didn't play a single offensive snap for the Dolphins. His experiment in Miami ends with two catches for 20 yards after being reinstated by the NFL. We don't expect many suitors to take a chance on Callaway until the final wave of free agency this offseason.

SOURCE: Armando Salguero on Twitter

Dec 21, 2020, 5:32 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread