What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Take the Mississippi Triplet Challenge (1 Viewer)

Brisco54

Footballguy
Ok, the Rice v Moss GOAT debate sparked this idea for me.  

Which US State can boast the best set of NFL triplets (QB/RB/WR)?

I will start the discussion with Mississippi.

QB- Brett Farve

RB-  Walter Payton

WR-  Jerry Rice

Can anybody beat that?

Penn does have a great QB tradition.

their best triplets would probably be Montana, Curtis Martin, and Marvin Harrison.  Impressive, but I would probably put them behind both MS and LA so far.
Thinking peak, probably sub out Martin for Dorsett, though probably still wouldn't make it good enough.

Texas

QB Sammy Baugh / Bobby Layne / Drew Brees / Y.A. Tittle

RB Eric Dickerson / Adrian Peterson / Earl Campbell / LaDainian Tomlinson

WR Lance Alworth / Don Maynard / Raymond Berry / Tim Brown

TakiToki said:
Texas

QB Sammy Baugh / Bobby Layne / Drew Brees / Y.A. Tittle

RB Eric Dickerson / Adrian Peterson / Earl Campbell / LaDainian Tomlinson

WR Lance Alworth / Don Maynard / Raymond Berry / Tim Brown
Solid depth at each posisition but this is a contest of top dogs only.

Long Ball Larry said:
Brisco54 said:
Penn does have a great QB tradition.

their best triplets would probably be Montana, Curtis Martin, and Marvin Harrison.  Impressive, but I would probably put them behind both MS and LA so far.
Thinking peak, probably sub out Martin for Dorsett, though probably still wouldn't make it good enough.
Definitely Dorsett and I'd go Biletnikoff instead of Harrison. Having Marino, Martin and Harrison as backups ain't bad.

Of course, the related challenge is matching Pitt's Marino, Dorsett, Martin and Fitzgerald.

Last edited by a moderator:
Long Ball Larry said:
I assume this is by birthplace.  Tark was born in VA according to the internet.
If we give Tark to Georgia, it will have 2 of 3 record holders at retirement.  Very strong!

..,, Mississippi had 3of3 record holders at retirement and still rank 2,2,1

Favre is just 102 yards behind Manning, though both are about to get passed by Brees.  Payton is 1629 behind Emmitt Smith... it is really kind of amazing he is still 2d on the list 30 years after he retired!

And the there is Rice.  As noted in the GOAT thread, the difference between Rice and the #2 on the list, TO, is the same difference between #2 and #64 on the list.

Definitely Dorsett and I'd go Biletnikoff instead of Harrison. Having Marino, Martin and Harrison as backups ain't bad.

Of course, the related challenge is matching Pitt's Marino, Dorsett, Martin and Fitzgerald.
Start a Take the Pitt Triplet challenge thread!

Like Texas, Penn has some great depth.  I limited the challenge to top dogs to level the playing field.  After all, Pennsylvania’s population is around 433% of little Mississippi’s!  Of course Penn would win any depth competition.

Alabama has a respectable group. 

Qb - Bart Starr

rb- Bo Jackson

wr - Julio Jones (could use Terrell Owens but he’s not very popular at the moment.)

I will add an entry for the Jayhawkers of Kansas:

John Hadl (honorable mention for Billy Kilmer)

Barry Sanders (honorable mentions for John Riggins and Gale Sayers)

Jordy Nelson (honorable mention for Steve Tasker)

Long Ball Larry said:
Yeah, he is on SI's list of top 50 greatest sports figures from GA.  Not sure when he moved.  That would be a pretty solid group for GA.

Seems like Cam is maybe the best actually born there.
A backfield of Cam and Jim Brown would have been a hell of a force and then to have a deep threat like Calvin to stretch defenses, that is a heck of a trio. Easily the most physically imposing that could possibly be assembled. 

Just using AV from Football Reference, New York is laughably bad

QB: Testaverde
RB: Ray Rice
WR: Rob Moore

ETA: Maybe we can get extra credit for TE: Gronkowski

California is pretty good:

QB - Tom Brady OR Aaron Rodgers
RB - Marshawn Lynch 
WR - Steve Smith

Because I've so often seen you Yanks call Canada the 51st State, with an eye towards shining a deserved light on the extraordinary players The Great White North has contributed to the NFL gridiron, here are Canada's contributions:

QB: Mark Rypien (honorable nod to Jesse Palmer)

RB: Michael "Pinball" Clemons (honorable nod to James Norman "Dirty Thirty" Young)

WR: Nate Burleson (honorable nod to Auston Collie)

Now THAT'S a veritable Murderer's Row of elite hall of fame caliber gridironers, amirite?

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
Because I've so often seen you Yanks call Canada the 51st State, with an eye towards shining a deserved light on the extraordinary players The Great White North has contributed to the NFL gridiron, here are Canada's contributions:

QB: Mark Rypien (honorable nod to Jesse Palmer)

RB: Michael "Pinball" Clemons (honorable nod to James Norman "Dirty Thirty" Young)

WR: Nate Burleson (honorable nod to Auston Collie)

Now THAT'S a veritable Murderer's Row of elite hall of fame caliber gridironers, amirite?
Love it.  Mark is my 2nd cousin so I'm all over this list.

I really thought we might have produced some better talent then that list.  Wonder where Canada would rank on the list of states in this game... probably around 45th

Love it.  Mark is my 2nd cousin so I'm all over this list.

I really thought we might have produced some better talent then that list.  Wonder where Canada would rank on the list of states in this game... probably around 45th
North Dakota is:

QB: Brooks Bollinger
RB: Jake Leicht (who?)
WR: Dave Logan

So, Canada isn't last.

North Dakota is:

QB: Brooks Bollinger
RB: Jake Leicht (who?)
WR: Dave Logan

So, Canada isn't last.
I feel like you should be granted a hardship exemption that allows you to claim Wentz, since he moved there from NC when he was three.

And Roger Maris probably had some football talent, right? (Scratch that. Wikipedia says he was born in Minnesota and moved when he was eight).

Users who are viewing this thread