What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Regular Season Jibber Jabber/Snap Count Master Thread (4 Viewers)

An interesting tidbit from the blurb on roto for Zettel upon his release states:

"It's a surprise after Zettel had 6.5 sacks in a starting role last year, but he wasn't a fit in a Detroit scheme that's expected to have more 3-4 fronts. 26-year-old Zettel should resurface on waivers."

DEs could be a bit disappointing there if they are more 4/5 tech than 6/7. On the flip side, there might be some gold in the LB depth there if a 4 LBs see lots of action (maybe even Killebrew?) since the #2 MLB/SLB/WLB on the depth chart could put up starting ILB stats. 

I read today that the Steelers Edmunds is starting over Burnett. 

I know a lot of people like him (Burnett I mean), but I never did, mainly because I thought his cover skills sucked. If Edmunds is just better in coverage by a little, I am sure he can tackle as good and st this point in their lives I’m sure Edmunds is way more athletic. 

Sorry all, just saw this in another post. 

Last edited by a moderator:
An interesting tidbit from the blurb on roto for Zettel upon his release states:

"It's a surprise after Zettel had 6.5 sacks in a starting role last year, but he wasn't a fit in a Detroit scheme that's expected to have more 3-4 fronts. 26-year-old Zettel should resurface on waivers."

DEs could be a bit disappointing there if they are more 4/5 tech than 6/7. On the flip side, there might be some gold in the LB depth there if a 4 LBs see lots of action (maybe even Killebrew?) since the #2 MLB/SLB/WLB on the depth chart could put up starting ILB stats. 
That's why Hyder and the add of Okwara make plenty of sense. They both play some DT in the 4-3 fronts, thus can handle more3 of the 3--4 big boy stuff at times.

And Zettel getting added to the Browns 4-3 works as well as a 255 pounder.

JEFFERSON, QUINTON SEA DT: listed as DT on MFL and is an odd under-the-radar final cut situation I just found...  hawks waived Brandon Jackson and all depth charts have this guy listed as starting DE fir SEA. That's got huge exploit potential in Dt required leagues. 

Wtf... R,Green era to start right away in SEA?

Anyone have details on this one? I saw they resigned jackson but it says to PS and recent Dion Jordan blurb says Jordan will rotate at RDE with Clark. 

Finally had some time to look into Jefferson. Not much to find but what's there is promising, though there's injury history. Pete Carroll is a rah-rah coach but he's no BS when it comes to earning PT and it's always been a full-on meritocracy in that regard. They basically made roster moves that show this guy as a starting DE. Some of the quotes are pretty exciting for that DT designation. 

"Jefferson, 25, has also played strong run defense in camp while filling primarily a role that is similar to that of Bennett — defensive end in the base defense and moving inside to tackle in the nickel. He had two tackles in Thursday’s preseason opener against the Colts." - Article (linked) is from August 16 and it a good article start to finish, actually. 

Nice video break down - linked

Finally had some time to look into Jefferson. Not much to find but what's there is promising, though there's injury history. Pete Carroll is a rah-rah coach but he's no BS when it comes to earning PT and it's always been a full-on meritocracy in that regard. They basically made roster moves that show this guy as a starting DE. Some of the quotes are pretty exciting for that DT designation. 

"Jefferson, 25, has also played strong run defense in camp while filling primarily a role that is similar to that of Bennett — defensive end in the base defense and moving inside to tackle in the nickel. He had two tackles in Thursday’s preseason opener against the Colts." - Article (linked) is from August 16 and it a good article start to finish, actually. 

Nice video break down - linked

Both Rotoworld and FBGs have Jefferson listed as the 4th DT on the team and neither has him listed as anywhere as a DE.

Both Rotoworld and FBGs have Jefferson listed as the 4th DT on the team and neither has him listed as anywhere as a DE.
It is a product of final cuts and looks like roto hasn't caught up. 

Seahawks site has their depth chart and roster up to date. Jefferson is listed as LDE 1. The roster still lists him as a DT though. Ourlads has his as starting DE as well. 

3rd year player that the team obviously likes enough to promote him. Maybe he's a quick drop after we see snap counts but adding a guy that gets the opportunity of a DE while listed as a DT makes for some serious upside. 

It is a product of final cuts and looks like roto hasn't caught up. 

Seahawks site has their depth chart and roster up to date. Jefferson is listed as LDE 1. The roster still lists him as a DT though. Ourlads has his as starting DE as well. 

3rd year player that the team obviously likes enough to promote him. Maybe he's a quick drop after we see snap counts but adding a guy that gets the opportunity of a DE while listed as a DT makes for some serious upside. 

Interesting.  He’s got the size of a 3-4 DE.  How are his feet and does he have any bend at all?

I've linked what I dug up. No idea what to expect, tbh. Seems like a great speculative add for leagues that have scoring boosts for DT. 

Flying Elvis said:
I've linked what I dug up. No idea what to expect, tbh. Seems like a great speculative add for leagues that have scoring boosts for DT. 
Just grabbed him in a 16 team dynasty rebuild that has DT req and balanced scoring. I had drafted Hurst and Vita Vaea (sp) late at DT as well.

Thanks for the info, never would have looked at him.

Title change to In Season Jibber Jabber? 

I'm curious to see the NE snap counts. DE Clayborn didn't not seem to be on the field very often. Eyeball test will need to be confirmed by an actual snap count, but I suspect Keionta Davis saw more DE snaps than Clayborn, and perhaps Wise. As usual, though, owning any Patriot IDP aside from Flowers is probably pointless.

Title change to In Season Jibber Jabber? 

I'm curious to see the NE snap counts. DE Clayborn didn't not seem to be on the field very often. Eyeball test will need to be confirmed by an actual snap count, but I suspect Keionta Davis saw more DE snaps than Clayborn, and perhaps Wise. As usual, though, owning any Patriot IDP aside from Flowers is probably pointless.
http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2018/09/patriots_snap_count_analysis_g.html

Clayborn - 22

Davis - 35

Kerry Hyder Jr is playing a TON of DT. Even NT on pass downs.

He doesn't look like he is in football shape. After the injury, no summer work and limited preseason, I guess it's to be expected.

BigSteelThrill said:
Kerry Hyder Jr is playing a TON of DT. Even NT on pass downs.

He doesn't look like he is in football shape. After the injury, no summer work and limited preseason, I guess it's to be expected.
This might be spot duty because A'shawn Robinson is not playing.

Some team snap count data I started looking at:

Chargers: Kyzir White!  I really would like to see if the coaches were asked about his usage, because he led Charger LBs in snaps.  4th round picks, with Perryman, Jatavis, and Kyle Emanuel in front of him.  That's really eye-opening.  He received the start, and led the team in tackles.  Perryman was close behind, and the forgotten men in this game were Jatavis, Emanuel and Nwosu, who barely played.  Nwosu barely playing with Bosa out makes me nervous.  Derwin James made back to bak plays in this game, one 30 yards downfield, the next 2 yards deep in the backfield,  He's the truth.  Full disclosure: I drafted White and Derwin together in a two of my leagues, so I really want this to be a thing.  

Patriots: Rookie Ja'Whun Bentley saw more snaps than any other Pats front 7 player.  If you drafted him, you're smarter than me.  Hightower and Van Noy played around 66%, and Elandon Roberts was only 27%.  Still, that's a lot of LBs playing.  Lot of base personnel in this game?

Chiefs:  Anthony Hitchens played 95%, and went wild, with 7 solos, and 15 total.  Chiefs were on the field a ton, because every time they got the ball, freaking Tyreek went yard.   :tebow:  He's the only 3 down guy.  Ragland played 57%, and Terrance Smith played 50%.  If you were expecting Ragland to be a 3 down guy, ummmm why? He's a banger.  Dorian O'Daniel saw no defensive snaps, tough to roster him now.  I cut him earlier in the summer, hasn't made any noise in KC.  

Seahawks: Wagner was the only 3 down LB.  Lefty Griffin played 55%, and with KJ Wright coming back, I dunno if even that goes up.  McDougald had a nice game at SS, he was a S I targeted this year, and I like his outlook with the defense probably taking a step back.  Dion Jordan (20%) looks like he is spelling Clark (58%) who I had hoped would be closer to 80% with Bennett gone.  

Bills: Tremaine Edwards was the only LB to play 100%.  In a blowout, it's not smart to make too many judgments, but my read is they figure he needed the seasoning.  With the way he looked this summer, to me Matt Milano and Micah Hyde were the targets, and Milano had a good game.  Poyer had a better game than Hyde, but I dunno how they lined up.  Lorenzo Alexander had 8 tackles in this game, so this was obviously a weird game.  If you are ever dying for a fill-in, maybe just pick up a Bill, and assume they'll get some tackles.  This team is so bad.  

Bengals: If you own Preston Brown, you need to investigate.  Nick Vigil was 100%, and Brown was only 60%. The DE's are Dunlap, and a rotation.  All three guys are getting snaps (Johnson, Rivers, and Lawson).  Shaun Williams was ejected, but the story was rookie Jessie Bates getting 100% at S.  Clayton Fejedelem Played a ton, and had a big game, but I dunno if he benefited or Bates did from Williams being out.  Investigate.  

Ravens: Blowout snap counts.  Toss them.  

Browns: Some storylines here.  Joe Schobert 100%,  Kirksey 76%, Collins 64%.  Avery played 54%, but I don't know if it was mostly as a rusher or what, because Ogbah went down, and will miss some time, I think.  Two other notables:  Ogunjobi played 99% at DT, and if you need one, he's the guy I would go after.  Kindred also outsnapped Jabril Peppers, and hat surprises me/bums me out.  

Broncos: Marshall still is the only LB you can count on, Todd Davis was 67%, and Josey Jewell only played 7 snaps.  Shane Ray is buried behind Chubb.  

Colts: Rookie LBs Darius Leonard (100%) and Skai Moore(52%) led the LBs in snaps, and Anthony Walker was 46%.  The fact that Matthias Farley played 46% makes me think 3 safety sets are in the Colts plans.  Monitor Skai's usage closely, if he earns more snaps, could be a starter.  Or just wait till Geathers knocks himself out again, and Skai will probably jump up to 80% then.  Leonard to me, is a LB 3 at least.  

Jaguars: Not one single thing we didn't already know. 

Dolphins: Jerome Baker had some August love, but Raekwon and Kiko are the 3 down guys.  Fins played 3 safeties a decent amount, with Minkah joining Jones and TJ McDonald.  Baker might be a later season stash.  Or taxi squad.  

More later.  I'm tired.  

Bengals: If you own Preston Brown, you need to investigate.  Nick Vigil was 100%, and Brown was only 60%. The DE's are Dunlap, and a rotation.  All three guys are getting snaps (Johnson, Rivers, and Lawson).  Shaun Williams was ejected, but the story was rookie Jessie Bates getting 100% at S.  Clayton Fejedelem Played a ton, and had a big game, but I dunno if he benefited or Bates did from Williams being out.  Investigate.
Pretty sure Preston did not return to the game after his as-yet-undisclosed injury, which likely accounts for Brown’s low %.

Some team snap count data I started looking at:

Chargers: Kyzir White!  I really would like to see if the coaches were asked about his usage, because he led Charger LBs in snaps.  4th round picks, with Perryman, Jatavis, and Kyle Emanuel in front of him.  That's really eye-opening.  He received the start, and led the team in tackles.  Perryman was close behind, and the forgotten men in this game were Jatavis, Emanuel and Nwosu, who barely played.  Nwosu barely playing with Bosa out makes me nervous.  Derwin James made back to bak plays in this game, one 30 yards downfield, the next 2 yards deep in the backfield,  He's the truth.  Full disclosure: I drafted White and Derwin together in a two of my leagues, so I really want this to be a thing.  

-- White was definitely an add&stash being promoted, and hopefully enough listened so they don't have to chase him now. :)

Patriots: Rookie Ja'Whun Bentley saw more snaps than any other Pats front 7 player.  If you drafted him, you're smarter than me.  Hightower and Van Noy played around 66%, and Elandon Roberts was only 27%.  Still, that's a lot of LBs playing.  Lot of base personnel in this game?

-- This was a pretty typical BB Pats defensive rotation. Many, many substitutions that were full packages with certain personnel heading on and off the field in droves. Bentley is a smart add since he's a rookie MLB and had some solid splash plays in the preseason that clearly earned him more PT. Van Noy, E. Roberts, and any name that isn't Hightower is straight JAG. DE was a mess. Trey Flowers is a solid weekly play but even he still rotates out, despite being head & shoulders better than the rest of the DEs on the roster. Clayborn barely played. I wouldn't drop Hightower but I don't even start him in the league I have him. DBs should be solid spot duty since NE will score, but most of the IDPs here are going to be frustrating and unreliable

Seahawks: Wagner was the only 3 down LB.  Lefty Griffin played 55%, and with KJ Wright coming back, I dunno if even that goes up.  McDougald had a nice game at SS, he was a S I targeted this year, and I like his outlook with the defense probably taking a step back.  Dion Jordan (20%) looks like he is spelling Clark (58%) who I had hoped would be closer to 80% with Bennett gone.  

-- Jarran Reed DT 80% / Quinton Jefferson DT 65% / Rasheem Green DE 62% / Frank Clark DE 58% ..... Anyone watch this game? Very curious about the usage of Jefferson. Certainly promising that his % is higher than all the DEs on their roster (unless you own Clark, I guess) and the note that Jordan was spelling Clark is in line with what I found digging for Jefferson news. Was Jefferson lined up at DE and, if so, how often?

Browns: Some storylines here.  Joe Schobert 100%,  Kirksey 76%, Collins 64%.  Avery played 54%, but I don't know if it was mostly as a rusher or what, because Ogbah went down, and will miss some time, I think.  Two other notables:  Ogunjobi played 99% at DT, and if you need one, he's the guy I would go after.  Kindred also outsnapped Jabril Peppers, and hat surprises me/bums me out.  

-- Lamentations.... I had Ogun on my roster and let him go. Wonder if I'll get him back, and at what cost? :/

Colts: Rookie LBs Darius Leonard (100%) and Skai Moore(52%) led the LBs in snaps, and Anthony Walker was 46%.  The fact that Matthias Farley played 46% makes me think 3 safety sets are in the Colts plans.  Monitor Skai's usage closely, if he earns more snaps, could be a starter.  Or just wait till Geathers knocks himself out again, and Skai will probably jump up to 80% then.  Leonard to me, is a LB 3 at least.  

-- Walker was just back from injury at the end of the week so the snap count could certainly be a matter of easing him back into game action. The S situation was sounding like the coaching staff felt like the 3 safeties were good enough to get them all plenty of snaps, so a 3 safety set could be a thing for them. I'll see if I can find that article again, but it was one of those "these are some of our best players and we need to find ways to keep them on the field" quotes. 
A bit easier to snip and reply in line, so my comments in bold & italic above.

The same Erik Harris that I didn't see on the field at all and got shut out on the stat sheet.  It's now Marcus Gilchrist.
Nice catch... sure enough the snap count shows Gilchrist & Nelson as the 2 top safeties. 0% for Harris and 11% for Joseph. Interesting...

Skai Moore didn't do much in week 1. Cut bait quickly? Free agent bidding has guys like Kyzir White and Ja'Whaun Bentley available. Not much else at LB but several more decent IDP options. I viewed him as a grab and see how he does but I'm not very committed.

Any snap numbers on Marquel Lee? I'm not seeing any yet. He was on the field a decent amount in the second half. Strange that DJ came in for him on passing downs, I thought Lee would be the better option in coverage. 

Skai Moore didn't do much in week 1. Cut bait quickly? Free agent bidding has guys like Kyzir White and Ja'Whaun Bentley available. Not much else at LB but several more decent IDP options. I viewed him as a grab and see how he does but I'm not very committed.
If there's someone you like better then do it. Moore had several weeks to win the job while Walker was out completely with a groin injury. Walker came back to practice Thursday (iirc) and still had a 50/50 with Moore. Not exactly the type of seized opportunity you want in your ILBs....

Any snap numbers on Marquel Lee? I'm not seeing any yet. He was on the field a decent amount in the second half. Strange that DJ came in for him on passing downs, I thought Lee would be the better option in coverage. 
I was hoping for more, too. DJ at 62% and Lee at 38%. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201809100rai.htm#home_snap_counts::none

It's more common that the young LB struggles in pass coverage DJ on pass downs doesn't surprise me.

How about Sean Lee? I know he was on the field a lot, but he probably posted one of his worst stat lines in a while. Did he look bad? Did the young guys look better? Is he just shaking off some rust from not playing this preseason?

How about Sean Lee? I know he was on the field a lot, but he probably posted one of his worst stat lines in a while. Did he look bad? Did the young guys look better? Is he just shaking off some rust from not playing this preseason?
I watched this game.  Sean Lee had at least 4 instances where he had the tackle dead to rights, but the player blew right through him.  He also seemed to be out of position several times, which is very unlike him.  I think he got benched in the third quarter, but I saw him back in there during the fourth.  TBH, he looked done.

I watched this game.  Sean Lee had at least 4 instances where he had the tackle dead to rights, but the player blew right through him.  He also seemed to be out of position several times, which is very unlike him.  I think he got benched in the third quarter, but I saw him back in there during the fourth.  TBH, he looked done.
I was gonna say I think I saw McCaffrey run him over when I flipped the game on for a little bit.

Lee's snap count was 88%.... that doesn't look good for him, especially with Vander Esch putting up similar stats with only 25% of snaps. I wasn't really paying much attention to that one... family dinner & Bday celebration. 

How did Myles Jack look? Stat line looks impressive, he's playing in a new position this year, right? He's probably the best linebacker available on waivers in my league right now. Trying to figure out how much I should bid for him out of 100.

Look into Cincy while you're there!  :D

Seems like Bates is a full time starter with 100% and Clayton Fejedelem took over for Williams after he was ejected. Need to know...
If I find anything meaningful I'll post, but I would be stunned if Bates played anything but free.  If they have him playing strong then opposing offenses are going to be licking their chops.

How did Myles Jack look? Stat line looks impressive, he's playing in a new position this year, right? He's probably the best linebacker available on waivers in my league right now. Trying to figure out how much I should bid for him out of 100.
An absolute terror, who is often far too aggressive. He makes mistakes.  But he is getting better and better, as he was the youngest player in his draft class and now in his 3rd year he turned 23 just a week ago.

Wow. Depth chart on team site and roto don't even list a MLB2. Certainly some value to be had... but who?
If they don't add someone, then one of the outside guys will slide inside, Im guessing.  With Ishmael coming at WLB.

*I'll bet Duke Riley gets first crack.  Even tho is has been so-so at best.

Users who are viewing this thread