What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Partisan Journalism, good or bad for America? (1 Viewer)

There seems to be this idea that there was a period in TV news between its beginning and maybe sometime in the 80s or 90s where it was neutral, honest and trusted. Walter Cronkite being the shining example.  How much truth do you think there is in that? 

(Really this is an open question to anyone not just Yankee. But I’m particularly interested in his thoughts.)
Well, I guess there is a reason why Walter Cronkite was labeled the most trusted man in America. 

What comes out of these media outlets isn't the problem.  The consumers are the problem.  These outlets are used to confirm what people have already decided to believe.  The outlets understand this and it's exactly why they do what they do.  If the dopes who continue to go to our "media" for their "news" continue to be that lazy, there is really nowhere to go but down and arguing about who's biased and how is the heavy foot on the gas pedal.
Well, I can't argue with the bolded.
You could, but you'd be wrong.  It's not complicated.  You can go to any news outlet outside this country and get straight up information.  There is no real need to watch any of our "news media".  They aren't in it for information.  If they were, they'd have exposed Donny Two Scoops during the primaries and we wouldn't be in this situation.  

You could, but you'd be wrong.  It's not complicated.  You can go to any news outlet outside this country and get straight up information.  There is no real need to watch any of our "news media".  They aren't in it for information.  If they were, they'd have exposed Donny Two Scoops during the primaries and we wouldn't be in this situation.  
I'm sorry for my ignorance, but what are you talking about?

I see it all the time with both CNN, MSNBC and FOX.  We're not watching news anymore, only editorials from those who lean one way or the other.  That isn't journalism as I remember it.  There is a place for editorials and the front page isn't it.
And you are focusing, literally on three television cable stations.  There are newspapers, magazines, foreign television, investigative reporting shows, trillions of websites and on and on.

Yes, getting information is hard these days, but that is our fault, not the other side of the political spectrum's fault.  We the people want more and more entertainment, faster, brighter, louder, more colorful, more outrageous and all of it within neat little 5 minute segments at most because if there is anything longer we lose interest and go on to the next louder, faster, more colorful thing.  At this moment I have my phone on twitter, this computer, one tv on the Yankee game and one on the football game.  We want to consume without the repercussion of thought, to see without visualizing context, to hear without listening, and think that when we talk we enjoy the power of wisdom when all we have is nonsensical information that we've never taken the time to understand.

CSPAN shows actual fact.  Actual on the floor fact news of what is happening in Congress, the debate, the vote, the bill.  A rerun of the 3rd season of Big Bang on TBS will get literally 50 times the rating point, and then we opine the fact that Congress doesn't speak for us anymore.  

There seems to be this idea that there was a period in TV news between its beginning and maybe sometime in the 80s or 90s where it was neutral, honest and trusted. Walter Cronkite being the shining example.  How much truth do you think there is in that? 

(Really this is an open question to anyone not just Yankee. But I’m particularly interested in his thoughts.)
I don't disagree that was the opinion, and the news of that time on television was much more reporting based than entertainment based.  But Cronkite wasn't an opinion anchor like Hannity is.  What has changes is the increase in opinion shows that mimic news shows with their breaking news banners that confuse the consumer that isn't paying attention to the details or doesn't care to.

And Cronkite was very opinionated and he let it show when he wanted to.

I see it all the time with both CNN, MSNBC and FOX.  We're not watching news anymore, only editorials from those who lean one way or the other.  That isn't journalism as I remember it.  There is a place for editorials and the front page isn't it.
Here's an example of a Rachel Maddow segment that is filled with facts and history where you actually learn something, but obviously the story leads to a present day story that has something to do with Trump.  It's fact-based journalism with a narrative.   I doubt you'll watch the whole thing, but there is some middle ground on the opinion shows.  This was about how we let the Russians use their own contractors to build our embassy in 1979/80 only to find out it was completely rigged with bugs when finished.   The present day story is about how offered a no bid contract to a Russian firm tied to the KGB.  It's actually a pretty interesting story regardless of your political leaning.  :shrug:  

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/former-kgb-putin-friend-hired-for-us-moscow-embassy-security-1096641603905?v=railb&

Last edited by a moderator:
And Cronkite was very opinionated and he let it show when he wanted to.
I'm not disputing you but I find it hard to believe anyone would question his integrity.  If you have other opinions then please link it.  Everyone in America loved Walter Cronkite and to lesson his integrity is an attack on America. 

I'm not disputing you but I find it hard to believe anyone would question his integrity.  If you have other opinions then please link it.  Everyone in America loved Walter Cronkite and to lesson his integrity is an attack on America. 
didn't everyone in America love Bob Woodward at one point?  if Cronkite was alive and said something critical of Trump, he'd be a partisan Dem just like the rest of them.  make no mistake

I wonder what Cronkite would think of the current administration.

Having an opinion does not lessen your integrity.  You're conflating words that don't mean the same thing. 

didn't everyone in America love Bob Woodward at one point?  if Cronkite was alive and said something critical of Trump, he'd be a partisan Dem just like the rest of them.  make no mistake
I would hope people would operate on what is rather than what would be.

what are you talking about?  Mueller was a trusted Republican, highly respected by both sides of the aisle.  no one questioned his integrity.  until he started investigating Trump.  same thing with Rosenstein. look at what some people think of them now.  Cronkite's only saving grace was that he died before we elected a moron. 

what are you talking about?  Mueller was a trusted Republican, highly respected by both sides of the aisle.  no one questioned his integrity.  until he started investigating Trump.  same thing with Rosenstein. look at what some people think of them now.  Cronkite's only saving grace was that he died before we elected a moron. 
Not going there as it doesn't apply to this thread.  I could easily debate this in another thread.

Not going there as it doesn't apply to this thread.  I could easily debate this in another thread.
is Bob Woodward a partisan journalist?  he seemed like a journalist all Americans would've trusted a couple weeks ago.  a modern day Cronkite, if you will. 

is Bob Woodward a partisan journalist?  he seemed like a journalist all Americans would've trusted a couple weeks ago.  a modern day Cronkite, if you will. 
He seems to be losing credibility. I love the move "All the Presidents Men" however. 

Wat. Trump is a disaster.  Its minority rule, of which you apparently are in and ok with...until you see differently, you're not gonna like the "bad journalism" your prez gets.

Wat. Trump is a disaster.  Its minority rule, of which you apparently are in and ok with...until you see differently, you're not gonna like the "bad journalism" your prez gets.
Can't we have nice things?  Does your hate for Trump cancel anything good?

I guess this thread was a misguided hope.   The left and right are so engrossed in their hate of one another that we cannot recover.  I was hoping that we could find some common ground.  I'm out of the thread I started.  I guess this experiment is complete. 

I guess this thread was a misguided hope.   The left and right are so engrossed in their hate of one another that we cannot recover.  I was hoping that we could find some common ground.  I'm out of the thread I started.  I guess this experiment is complete. 
Awfully admirable of you to give up 2 hours of your life to try and save this once great country. Thank you for your service.

Good effort. I'll add:

Do you remember when Obama colluded with a foreign government to steal an election, started numerous trade wars, sought the praise of foreign dictators, villified the free press, and inspired op Ed's from senior officials in his own administration ? Me neither.

CNN is biased left and bashes Trump 24/7 but for the most part use the material that Trump provides them with his tweets filled with lies, mis statements ,tweets or statements that show he truly is dumber than a fifth grader and derogatory remarks bashing someone. Fox opinion prime time is based on silly deep state conspiracy theories most of them old and based on things Hillary or Strzok did 1-5 years ago.

I'm sorry for my ignorance, but what are you talking about?
Talking about it not being necessary to watch our "news media" in this country.  Literally thousands of other places to get the information that are more informative and accurate.  Anyone choosing to make them their primary source of news (or any source for that matter) is doing it wrong.  Not complicated.

CNN is biased left and bashes Trump 24/7 but for the most part use the material that Trump provides them with his tweets filled with lies, mis statements ,tweets or statements that show he truly is dumber than a fifth grader and derogatory remarks bashing someone. Fox opinion prime time is based on silly deep state conspiracy theories most of them old and based on things Hillary or Strzok did 1-5 years ago.
Reporting on and discussing the actual words and actions of the President of the United States is not "bashing."  It's "reporting."

I'm not a fan of any of the cable news networks, but any reasonable observer can differentiate between the cheesy, counterproductive "politics as sports" coverage provided by CNN and MSNBC and the far more dangerous programming on Fox News.

You literally gave away your bias in the thread title. Not everyone agrees that the news coverage on CNN and MSNBC is "partisan jounalism." I think this idea is a relatively recent development borne out of the steep decline of Fox News; once their coverage moved from right-leaning editorially but still professional to certifiably bonkers during the Obama administration, the only reasonable defense was to point fingers elsewhere and falsely argue "they do it too!"  And then of course this was turned up to 11 by Trump's disgraceful attacks over the last few years.

If you want to have a real discussion about this issue, you have to start by discussing whether and to what extent the cable news networks are partisan in the first place. You can't make an assumption that many people disagree with, or at least consider a false equivalence, and go from there.

You literally gave away your bias in the thread title. Not everyone agrees that the news coverage on CNN and MSNBC is "partisan jounalism." I think this idea is a relatively recent development borne out of the steep decline of Fox News; once their coverage moved from right-leaning editorially but still professional to certifiably bonkers during the Obama administration, the only reasonable defense was to point fingers elsewhere and falsely argue "they do it too!"  And then of course this was turned up to 11 by Trump's disgraceful attacks over the last few years.

If you want to have a real discussion about this issue, you have to start by discussing whether and to what extent the cable news networks are partisan in the first place. You can't make an assumption that many people disagree with, or at least consider a false equivalence, and go from there.
Fox news ranks near the top and CNN doesn't, but that's another topic.  Your statement "Not everyone agrees that the news coverage on CNN and MSNBC is partisan journalist".  That's the problem right there.  CNN'ers are so indoctrinated to their reporting they don't even see it.  I can see when they report something stupid Trump says and I don't have a problem with that.  What you're not seeing (maybe you are) they don't even report the good things Trump does.  Why is that?  It's because they have an agenda of destroying Trump.  It doesn't get more biased than that.  As for Fox, I admit they are right biased.  My point is I wish journalism hadn't gone down this deep bias reporting.  At least I see it.

I’d argue that FoxNews, CNN, and MSNBC as the main examples aren’t actually examples of journalism anyway.  So much of it is opinion and not news and Inwoildnt compare them to actual journalists/papers and sites.

What you're not seeing (maybe you are) they don't even report the good things Trump does.  Why is that?  It's because they have an agenda of destroying Trump.  It doesn't get more biased than that.  As for Fox, I admit they are right biased.  My point is I wish journalism hadn't gone down this deep bias reporting.  At least I see it.
I don't need a Free Press to tell me how great someone is doing.  Their job is to uncover corruption with our government and hold leaders accountable

I’d argue that FoxNews, CNN, and MSNBC as the main examples aren’t actually examples of journalism anyway.  So much of it is opinion and not news and Inwoildnt compare them to actual journalists/papers and sites.
I agree it's gone the way of opinion reporting and that is sad.  There is a place for that and it's the editorial section.

Fox news ranks near the top and CNN doesn't, but that's another topic.  Your statement "Not everyone agrees that the news coverage on CNN and MSNBC is partisan journalist".  That's the problem right there.  CNN'ers are so indoctrinated to their reporting they don't even see it.  I can see when they report something stupid Trump says and I don't have a problem with that.  What you're not seeing (maybe you are) they don't even report the good things Trump does.  Why is that?  It's because they have an agenda of destroying Trump.  It doesn't get more biased than that.  As for Fox, I admit they are right biased.  My point is I wish journalism hadn't gone down this deep bias reporting.  At least I see it.
See, that's exactly what I'm talking about.  You claim you want to have a productive non-partisan discussion, but your opening position is that your perspective is the correct and accurate one, while mine is biased and invalid, and my refusal to see things your way is the entire problem. Does that sounds like a productive start to a non-partisan discussion to you?

The top of what? White folks over 65 who answer land lines?

I don't need a Free Press to tell me how great someone is doing.  Their job is to uncover corruption with our government and hold leaders accountable
I guess we can disagree on that for sure.  The job of news reporting is to inform the public and that includes the good stuff as well as the bad stuff.

I both agree and disagree with the OP. 

I agree that the partisan divide, related to media, is bad for America. And notwithstanding Yankee’s point that we have had this forever, I would argue that it’s worse than its ever been because each side has their own facts. It’s one thing to argue over a given set of principles or issues; it’s quite another to live in a different reality. Yesterday I turned on some right wing talk radio (I know, Gr00vus, I’m a masochist) and I felt like I was temporarily on another planet. On that planet, a wise and extremely able President Trump is surrounded by treacherous enemies who are unable to prevent him from being effective, though they try. On that planet Mueller, Comey, Rosenstein, and Hillary Clinton are all clearly guilty of horrendous felonies and will soon be arrested and charged. This was not Q; it was mainstream right wing talk radio. To be specific, the Rush Limbaugh show (with a guest host.) 

And that leads to my disagreement with the OP. JohnnyU, like so many other conservatives who have complained about this issue, begin with the premise that both sides are equally complicit. They aren’t. Putting aside the question of whether or not CNN and MSNBC are as liberal as Fox is conservative, there is no progressive alternative for right wing talk radio, and it is right wing talk radio that more than any other factor is driving the divide in our country. 

During what you describe as the non-partisan bygone age of journalism, didn't they also have to pick and choose what news to report?  Maybe it's not that the mainstream news has changed but that you have.

Users who are viewing this thread