What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Magnum P.I. reboot (1 Viewer)

My dream car is that Ferrari. 

I saw the preview for it just a little while ago. I don't know anyone working on that show and I never wish a show to fail cause that means I have friends who are looking for work. But for the love of god......some shows should just be left alone!

I saw the preview for it just a little while ago. I don't know anyone working on that show and I never wish a show to fail cause that means I have friends who are looking for work. But for the love of god......some shows should just be left alone!
I love that Ferrari too. It used to be pretty moderately priced, but now the prices are going through the the roof. 

It is CBS. They also have the reboot of Hawaii Five-0. They probably figured we already have a crew in Hawaii filming one show, might as well do another. That is basically how Magnum PI was started. Hawaii Five-0 was going off the air so they just decided to keep the crew and set-up in Hawaii with a new show. 

It is CBS. They also have the reboot of Hawaii Five-0. They probably figured we already have a crew in Hawaii filming one show, might as well do another. That is basically how Magnum PI was started. Hawaii Five-0 was going off the air so they just decided to keep the crew and set-up in Hawaii with a new show. 
What's crazy about that is I saw an old episode of Vegas a long time ago. It was a PI show starring Robert Uhrich. In the show Dan Tanna goes to Hawaii for some reason. In that episode they shot on location at the Robin's Nest and used the helicopter TC flew throughout the series. Vegas was on ABC. Maybe they hired a location scout away from Vegas to do Magnum. 

I love that Ferrari too. It used to be pretty moderately priced, but now the prices are going through the the roof. 

You know they wanted to use a Porsche 928 but they needed it modified to fit the 6'4" Selleck.  Porsche had a strict policy about modifying their cars so they went with the Ferrari.

Found this:

As some of you may know, the Ferrari's used in the show had to be specially modified to accommodate Tom Selleck, who stands 6'4" tall. The padding was removed from the seats so he would sit lower in the car, and the seats were bolted as far away from the steering wheel as possible to maximize the leg room. Even with these modifications you can still see that Selleck's head is higher than the top of the front windshield frame. This is why you very rarely saw Magnum drive with the top up.

What you may not know is that the producers originally intended to use a Porsche 928 and asked Porsche to produce one with an extra large sunroof for aerial shots. Due to a strict policy by Porsche of not doing any special specifications at customer requests, the Ferrari 308 GTS was chosen instead and went on to become one of the most iconic cars of all time.

You know they wanted to use a Porsche 928 but they needed it modified to fit the 6'4" Selleck.  Porsche had a strict policy about modifying their cars so they went with the Ferrari.

Found this:
I don't think you ever saw him in the Ferrari with the top in. In fact, I remember hearing an interview with Selleck in which he said, he couldn't fit so whenever they shot in the rain, they had him in that 4X4 Jimmy with some bit of dialogue or narration about the Ferrari being in the shop or Higgins wanting to drive it or some such when in fact, he just couldn't fit. 

I remember reading that story about the Porsche 928 and I always figured that somebody involved in the original Magnum PI was a "car guy" or into cars because the 928 was "the" car at that time.  But between choosing the Ferrari 308GTS, Higgins' Audi 5000 and the GMC JImmy/Jeep Wagoneer and then I think Higgens had a Jag XJ series II, TC had the chopper but his VW Caravelle was pretty unique, Rick had a 280ZX, a Corvette and then finally the MB convertible, and then I remember an episode when Magnum bought his own car and it was Jag E-type which I thought was really cool.  I'm a total car nerd but someone on that show was a big time car nerd too.  I remember all the TV series back in the 80's and most of them had pretty boring cars so Magnum PI always stood out. .  Simon and Simon brothers had cool cars too. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
H50 is a great show.

When is Hardcastle & McCormick coming?

I like the Macguyver reboot. Watched the first season of Lethal Weapon. It was alright. Heard they were getting rid of Riggs so decided to drop it.

Looks like the cast they chose is all wrong, but I'll give it a chance.

The Lethal Weapon show is actually good. Just wish they called it something else.

I remember reading that story about the Porsche 928 and I always figured that somebody involved in the original Magnum PI was a "car guy" or into cars because the 928 was "the" car at that time.  But between choosing the Ferrari 308GTS, Higgins' Audi 5000 and the GMC JImmy/Jeep Wagoneer and then I think Higgens had a Jag XJ series II, TC had the chopper but his VW Caravelle was pretty unique, Rick had a 280ZX, a Corvette and then finally the MB convertible, and then I remember an episode when Magnum bought his own car and it was Jag E-type which I thought was really cool.  I'm a total car nerd but someone on that show was a big time car nerd too.  I remember all the TV series back in the 80's and most of them had pretty boring cars so Magnum PI always stood out. .  Simon and Simon brothers had cool cars too. :)
AJ had the 57 Chevy convertible and a Z28 later on. Rick just had the old power wagon, right? Loved that show as well. It was an offshoot of Magnum. 

AJ had the 57 Chevy convertible and a Z28 later on. Rick just had the old power wagon, right? Loved that show as well. It was an offshoot of Magnum. 
Yeah that's correct, I always figured they were on a tighter budget than Magnum. :)   You know, there again, AJ's car wasn't just a Camaro, it was an IROC Z right?  And there again, instead of just a generic F150 or Chevy pickup, Rick had the Dodge PowerWagon, again, it's very specific you know?  Again I figure someone was into cars there. . . or maybe I'm just too into cars?

Yeah that's correct, I always figured they were on a tighter budget than Magnum. :)   You know, there again, AJ's car wasn't just a Camaro, it was an IROC Z right?  And there again, instead of just a generic F150 or Chevy pickup, Rick had the Dodge PowerWagon, again, it's very specific you know?  Again I figure someone was into cars there. . . or maybe I'm just too into cars?
Not an IROC, but a Z28. Had to do a google image search to be sure. Yeah, they did it right. Those PowerWagons are becoming collectible now. Pick them up now before they go the way of the late 70's/early 80's Broncos/Land Cruisers/Range Rovers

Not an IROC, but a Z28. Had to do a google image search to be sure. Yeah, they did it right. Those PowerWagons are becoming collectible now. Pick them up now before they go the way of the late 70's/early 80's Broncos/Land Cruisers/Range Rovers
D'oh, you're right it was a Z28, I don't know why I was thinking it was an IROC, old man memory strikes again.

When is Hardcastle & McCormick coming?

I like the Macguyver reboot. Watched the first season of Lethal Weapon. It was alright. Heard they were getting rid of Riggs so decided to drop it.

Looks like the cast they chose is all wrong, but I'll give it a chance.

The Lethal Weapon show is actually good. Just wish they called it something else.
Ive enjoyed both Lethal Weapon and MacGyver.  LW is more true to the movies then MacGyver is to the original show.  Its more of a spy thriller using the ingenuity of the original Mac to get them out of jams.  

Curious to see if Magnum is closer to H5O or the Knight Rider reboot....

Sullie said:
D'oh, you're right it was a Z28, I don't know why I was thinking it was an IROC, old man memory strikes again.
It had the T tops and it had custom wheels and tires. I wasn't sure either. I had to google image search it to know for sure. I want to he went to the Camero before the IROC came out. But that was like 30 years ago...

Kira from Ready Player One! Outstanding. I figured there would be some sort of sexual tension between the two. Of course a man like Magnum wouldn't be her type. 
I am hoping that this doesn’t happen. One of the things I like about Elementary is that they don’t try to force a romantic relationship between the leads when it doesn’t really make sense for their characters.

As I recall from the original, Higgins just tolerated Magnum, and didn’t really see any point in having him around. I think this series should follow suit. 

I am hoping that this doesn’t happen. One of the things I like about Elementary is that they don’t try to force a romantic relationship between the leads when it doesn’t really make sense for their characters.

As I recall from the original, Higgins just tolerated Magnum, and didn’t really see any point in having him around. I think this series should follow suit. 
I can see that, I'm just assuming based on the regular formulaic stuff we see on network television. 

Why? Who is this for? I believe most of the original's charm was derived from Selleck. You're not replicating that with the non-mustachioed impostor. 

Is there true Magnum P.I. fan who's turning in to watch this just because it has the same title and character names? 

In the original series, there was a ton of sexual tension between Magnum and Higgins. You were probably too young to pick up on it. I'm sure there is a reddit fan fiction thread that explores this is explicit detail.

In the original series, there was a ton of sexual tension between Magnum and Higgins. You were probably too young to pick up on it. I'm sure there is a reddit fan fiction thread that explores this is explicit detail.
You're probably right. I was only 4 when it first aired in '80.

That being the case, I'm looking forward to this new version. 

Why? Who is this for? I believe most of the original's charm was derived from Selleck. You're not replicating that with the non-mustachioed impostor. 

Is there true Magnum P.I. fan who's turning in to watch this just because it has the same title and character names? 
I'm a huge fan of the original show, and am considering tuning in. That being said, I have no idea what night it's on nor what time and probably won't remember to set the DVR. So while I'm considering it, not so sure it's gonna happen. 

Kind of like attempting to remake The Rockford Files without James Garner

I'm a huge fan of the original show, and am considering tuning in. That being said, I have no idea what night it's on nor what time and probably won't remember to set the DVR. So while I'm considering it, not so sure it's gonna happen. 
9/24/18 (next Thursday), 9pm eastern

CBS

TheFanatic said:
I'm a fan of the original too, but I just don't understand banking on the name to pull in viewers when it's a completely different show. I feel the same about Hawaii 5-0, MacGyver, and all other Hollywood reboots. Beyond lazy. If you want to pitch a "Magnum-like" show then do so, but using original character names and the title is the epitome of laziness. 

Would you be as inclined to tune into a new show about a young handsome guy, driving nice cars in am exotic location and solving crimes? Or is it the Magnum hook that peaks your interest? 

I'm a fan of the original too, but I just don't understand banking on the name to pull in viewers when it's a completely different show. I feel the same about Hawaii 5-0, MacGyver, and all other Hollywood reboots. Beyond lazy. If you want to pitch a "Magnum-like" show then do so, but using original character names and the title is the epitome of laziness. 

Would you be as inclined to tune into a new show about a young handsome guy, driving nice cars in am exotic location and solving crimes? Or is it the Magnum hook that peaks your interest? 
I was never into Hawaii 5-0 originally and watched a couple episodes of the remake simply because the actors had nice resumes. I lasted about three episodes. 

LOVED McGyver back in the day. I've seen about 10 minutes of one episode of the new one

Why am I interrested? I'd like to see who they cast in all the roles I know so well. I want to see if they use the original Robin's Nest. Or if they use a newer helicopter with an homage to the color scheme of the original. That kind of thing. And of course there will be a red ferarri featured. That's cool to me. 

I realize it's lazy, but most of hollywood is. The new Jumanji was lazy but that was great. Writing prequels to Star Wars was lazy, but I wanted to see more from that universe (so to speak). I hate when there are talks of remaking iconic movies like the Rocky Horror Picture Show, but I'm not as upset about this. I'm a little intrigued. That being said, it's not likely I see it. I'm travelling so much these days that when I'm home I'm doing stuff with my kids so I don't miss out too much on them at this age. 

I was never into Hawaii 5-0 originally and watched a couple episodes of the remake simply because the actors had nice resumes. I lasted about three episodes. 

LOVED McGyver back in the day. I've seen about 10 minutes of one episode of the new one

Why am I interrested? I'd like to see who they cast in all the roles I know so well. I want to see if they use the original Robin's Nest. Or if they use a newer helicopter with an homage to the color scheme of the original. That kind of thing. And of course there will be a red ferarri featured. That's cool to me. 

I realize it's lazy, but most of hollywood is. The new Jumanji was lazy but that was great. Writing prequels to Star Wars was lazy, but I wanted to see more from that universe (so to speak). I hate when there are talks of remaking iconic movies like the Rocky Horror Picture Show, but I'm not as upset about this. I'm a little intrigued. That being said, it's not likely I see it. I'm travelling so much these days that when I'm home I'm doing stuff with my kids so I don't miss out too much on them at this age. 
I admit I can be hypocritical when it comes to reboots/remakes. I enjoyed the new Spider Man. Although that was different because they were trying to (re)establish the character in a larger, evolving universe. Jumanji, while not completely original, did build on and reference an existing mythology/previous film. They didn't simply cast a younger actor in the Robin Williams role and try to hit all the same beats. 

I might even be on the lookout for info on Magnum for some of the same reasons you listed (copter), but there's probably not enough draw for me.

I admit I can be hypocritical when it comes to reboots/remakes. I enjoyed the new Spider Man. Although that was different because they were trying to (re)establish the character in a larger, evolving universe. Jumanji, while not completely original, did build on and reference an existing mythology/previous film. They didn't simply cast a younger actor in the Robin Williams role and try to hit all the same beats. 

I might even be on the lookout for info on Magnum for some of the same reasons you listed (copter), but there's probably not enough draw for me in.
The fact that I haven't watched a network TV show in about 8 years is probably going to keep me away. I will say this, it's the show I'm most intrigued about on network TV in a very long time. Even though it's robbing my childhood for it, part of me is really hoping they can remake that magic of the original Magnum. 

Users who are viewing this thread