What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In Season WR additions (1 Viewer)

Brisco54

Footballguy
I asked this question in the Dez Bryant thread, but have not gotten an answer yet, so I thought I would put it out in its own thread since it also affects Gordon.

Can anyone think of a WR that was added to an NFL organization after week one of the NFL season that had a fantasy significant season afterwards?  The player might have been acquired by trade or FA signing (as long as that signing was not off of that team's practice squad).

My hypothesis is that WR is the worst position for plug and play, that the learning curve of a new offense as well as no prior experience with a given QB's timing makes it very difficult for a WR to contribute to his new team mid season, and so far I cannot find anything to refute that.  

If you can think of anything, please help.

2014.  Percy Harvin gained around 450 yards for the Jets after  Being acquired at the end of October.

In general however I think you're right most of these do not work out very well.

I asked this question in the Dez Bryant thread, but have not gotten an answer yet, so I thought I would put it out in its own thread since it also affects Gordon.

Can anyone think of a WR that was added to an NFL organization after week one of the NFL season that had a fantasy significant season afterwards?  The player might have been acquired by trade or FA signing (as long as that signing was not off of that team's practice squad).

My hypothesis is that WR is the worst position for plug and play, that the learning curve of a new offense as well as no prior experience with a given QB's timing makes it very difficult for a WR to contribute to his new team mid season, and so far I cannot find anything to refute that.  

Second worst position to plug and play, remember when Minnesota traded mid season and started a new qb...

Fair enough, but I still think this current NE situation is very unique compared to prior cases, given the coach, QB and complete dearth of WRs. I have zero doubt they slow play their Gordon hand and ease him into the offense, to be fully unleashed during the stretch run. They've followed that blueprint in terms of their offense for years, with Dion Lewis being the latest example just last year.

New England plays @Pit and vs. Buf during weeks 15 and 16 this year. The Brady owner in my league, who was/is weak at WR and is very savvy at fantasy football bid 80% FAAB on Gordon last night, after he'd been dropped by a not-so-savvy owner. Not liking the thought of the Brady-Gordon combo come fantasy playoff time.

Roy Williams didn't produce after he was traded to Dallas after 5 games. He didn't do much in subsequent years either, so not a great comp (1-time pro bowler.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Of the wide receivers that rank in the all time Top 250 in receiving yards, here were the ones that I found that played for more than one team in the same season. I listed the results on the new team and the number of games played. I have no idea how many games the newly acquired WR was available to play (ie, if the player was inactive for 3 weeks before playing or if the player was active for 6 games but only played in 3 games). I am not sure I caught all of them, but I would say I got most of them.

Jerry Rice (42) - OAK to SEA - 25-362-3 in 11 game
Randy Moss (33) - NEP to MIN - 13-174-2 in 4 games
Randy Moss (33) - MIN to TEN - 6-80-0 in 8 games
James Lofton (37) - RAMS to PHI 13-167-0 in 9 games
Henry Ellard (37) - WAS to NEP - 5-86-0 in 5 games
Charlie Joiner (25) - HOU to CIN - 8-133-0 in 6 games
Derrick Mason (37) - NYJ to HOU - 6-55-0 in 7 games
Andre Rison (29) - JAX to GBP - 13-135-1 in 5 games
Wes Welker (23) - SDC to MIA - in 14 games (used as a returner)
Wes Chandler (25) - NOS to SDC - 52-857-5 in 12 games
Eddie Kennison (28) - DEN to KCC - 16-322-0 in 5 games
Haven Moses (26) - BUF to DEN - 15-224-5 in 8 games
Chris Chambers (29) - MIA to SDC - 35-555-4 in 10 games
Chris Chambers (31) - SDC to KCC - 36-608-4 in 11 games
Reggie Rucker (24) - DAL to NYG - 1-9-0 in 4 games
Reggie Rucker (24) - NYG to NEP - 2-24-0 in 5 games
John Gilliam (32) - CHI to NOS - 11-133-1 in 10 games
JT Smith (23) - WAS to KCC 0-0-0 in 6 games
Deion Branch (33) - SEA to NEP - 48-706-5 in 11 games
Brett Perriman (32) - KCC to MIA - 19-309-1 in 8 games
Carlos Carson (31) - KCC to PHI - 1-12-0 in 6 games
Ronnie Harmon (33) - TEN to CHI - 2-8-0 in 1 game
Sonny Randle (33) - SFO to DAL - 1-12-0 in 6 games
Brandon Lloyd (30) - DEN to STL - 51-683-5 in 11 games
Roy Williams (27) - DET to DAL - 19-198-1 in 10 games
Gail Cogdill (31) - DET to BAL - 0-0-0 in 5 games
Danny Abramowicz (28) - NOS to SFO - 35-442-1 in 12 games
Antonio Bryant (23) - DAL to CLE - 42-546-4 in 10 games
Braylon Edwards (26) - CLE to NYJ - 35-541-4 in 12 games
Braylon Edwards (29) - SEA to NYJ - 10-125-0 in 3 games

Not sure what the barometer is for "having a fantasy impact" but there were a few guys that would at least have been on the fantasy radar.

Roy Williams didn't produce after he was traded to Dallas after 5 games. He didn't do much in subsequent years either, so not a great comp (1-time pro bowler.)
Williams isn't alone.  Randy Moss only caught 13 passes after being traded to Minn mid-season.  He was cut for criticizing the management, but 13 catches in two months shows how hard it is to adjust to a new system and QB at the same time.

Even hall of famer Cris Carter did not perform his first year when he was added by the Vikings after the preseason.  Most recently, Corey Coleman sure bottomed out quickly in Buff.

Percy Harvin is a noted exception... thanks for that Spodog.

2014.  Percy Harvin gained around 450 yards for the Jets after  Being acquired at the end of October.
A good case study might be Keenan McCardell.  After an 84-1174-8 performance in 2003 three he was traded midseason and in the 7 games afterwards, he went 31-393-1.  That's ok stats I guess, but then realize that his yards per game dropped by 20 yards, his TDs per game dropped from 1 per 2 to 1 per 7, and most importantly, he had the worst catch percentage of his career not counting his rookie year, dropping 7 percentage points from the year before. 

Of the wide receivers that rank in the all time Top 250 in receiving yards, here were the ones that I found that played for more than one team in the same season. I listed the results on the new team and the number of games played. I have no idea how many games the newly acquired WR was available to play (ie, if the player was inactive for 3 weeks before playing or if the player was active for 6 games but only played in 3 games). I am not sure I caught all of them, but I would say I got most of them.

Jerry Rice (42) - OAK to SEA - 25-362-3 in 11 game
Randy Moss (33) - NEP to MIN - 13-174-2 in 4 games
Randy Moss (33) - MIN to TEN - 6-80-0 in 8 games
James Lofton (37) - RAMS to PHI 13-167-0 in 9 games
Henry Ellard (37) - WAS to NEP - 5-86-0 in 5 games
Charlie Joiner (25) - HOU to CIN - 8-133-0 in 6 games
Derrick Mason (37) - NYJ to HOU - 6-55-0 in 7 games
Andre Rison (29) - JAX to GBP - 13-135-1 in 5 games
Wes Welker (23) - SDC to MIA - in 14 games (used as a returner)
Wes Chandler (25) - NOS to SDC - 52-857-5 in 12 games
Eddie Kennison (28) - DEN to KCC - 16-322-0 in 5 games
Haven Moses (26) - BUF to DEN - 15-224-5 in 8 games
Chris Chambers (29) - MIA to SDC - 35-555-4 in 10 games
Chris Chambers (31) - SDC to KCC - 36-608-4 in 11 games
Reggie Rucker (24) - DAL to NYG - 1-9-0 in 4 games
Reggie Rucker (24) - NYG to NEP - 2-24-0 in 5 games
John Gilliam (32) - CHI to NOS - 11-133-1 in 10 games
JT Smith (23) - WAS to KCC 0-0-0 in 6 games
Deion Branch (33) - SEA to NEP - 48-706-5 in 11 games
Brett Perriman (32) - KCC to MIA - 19-309-1 in 8 games
Carlos Carson (31) - KCC to PHI - 1-12-0 in 6 games
Ronnie Harmon (33) - TEN to CHI - 2-8-0 in 1 game
Sonny Randle (33) - SFO to DAL - 1-12-0 in 6 games
Brandon Lloyd (30) - DEN to STL - 51-683-5 in 11 games
Roy Williams (27) - DET to DAL - 19-198-1 in 10 games
Gail Cogdill (31) - DET to BAL - 0-0-0 in 5 games
Danny Abramowicz (28) - NOS to SFO - 35-442-1 in 12 games
Antonio Bryant (23) - DAL to CLE - 42-546-4 in 10 games
Braylon Edwards (26) - CLE to NYJ - 35-541-4 in 12 games
Braylon Edwards (29) - SEA to NYJ - 10-125-0 in 3 games

Not sure what the barometer is for "having a fantasy impact" but there were a few guys that would at least have been on the fantasy radar.
Great work!

Ok, I used a very vague term  How about I somewhat arbitrarily pick 10 PPR points a week?  I do not know about you, but I would never give up something of value to add a WR in redraft that was going to average less than 10 PPG in PPR.  

Just eyeballing your list, it looks like four WR (Chambers (11.45/11.6), Chandler (13.9), Branch (13.5)  & Lloyd (13.5) out of the 26 listed reached the 10 PPR PPG level.

That's a 15% hit rate.  (BTW, Harvin just missed the 10 PPG average as well).

As a Dez owner this makes me very fearful.  If I was a Gordon owner, I think I would move him the second he catches 3 or more balls from Brady. 

Great work!

Ok, I used a very vague term  How about I somewhat arbitrarily pick 10 PPR points a week?  I do not know about you, but I would never give up something of value to add a WR in redraft that was going to average less than 10 PPG in PPR.  

Just eyeballing your list, it looks like four WR (Chambers (11.45/11.6), Chandler (13.9), Branch (13.5)  & Lloyd (13.5) out of the 26 listed reached the 10 PPR PPG level.

That's a 15% hit rate.  (BTW, Harvin just missed the 10 PPG average as well).

As a Dez owner this makes me very fearful.  If I was a Gordon owner, I think I would move him the second he catches 3 or more balls from Brady. 
I am stuck with Dez in one league and don’t have any shares of Flash.

As far as the list goes, there have been so few in season trades of talented receivers in what should be their peak production years that the sample size is very limited. Most of the players were either just starting out and not established or guys hanging around late in their careers playing out the string. 

The other consideration is the environment the player went to. Chandler, for example, went to a pass happy offense with a HOF QB.

if Gordon can stay clean, he is probably one of the most talented guys on this list going to a highly productive offense with a HOF QB. That should get Gordon to your 10 PPG threshold (although it might take a few weeks to get there).

As I often have said about NE, if they tried harder to work around the skills of individual players instead of insisting that the players fit their system, I think they may have gotten more out of the receivers they’ve had over the years. 

I posted in other threads that the only thing they can do is Gordon a slice of the playbook and see what he can do and add stuff as they go. That alone will limit his upside, but they should be able to game plan enough to make him fantasy relevant. 

Bottom line, I would not look to apply the 15% hit rate to Gordon, as I think his chances will be a lot better than that. 

Users who are viewing this thread