What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why Doesn't Tom Brady Hold Out? (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Spinoff from the "What Happened In Seattle?" thread.

From my GB @Aaron Rudnicki

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/8/9/17671350/tom-brady-contract-2018-serious-bargain-blake-bortles-ahahahah

"The 41-year-old quarterback cut the Pats a hometown bargain as he enters the second-to-last year of his contract with the team. Brady will cost New England just $15 million this fall, making him the league’s 22nd highest-paid passer and creating some extra salary cap space for a team that wasn’t exactly hurting for room in the first place."

He's not what he was, but clearly Brady is better than the 22nd best QB.

It seems interesting to me that teams like Seattle are scum of the earth for not paying guys like Earl Thomas. But the Patriots and Brady continue on with Brady well underpaid in comparison to other QBs. 

Why doesn't he hold out? 

Rings? Wife's money? Has enough already? Other stuff?

What's your take?

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is rings. He probably figures enough money is enough money & realizes the salary cap is the elephant in the room.

Brady might feel different if it weren't for his wife's money, but I kind of doubt it. If he wanted to, Brady could make no telling how much off of endorsements & such.

In short, I'd simply say the dude gets it. I wonder why more players don't have Brady's attitude, but is it really a surprise?

Additional sources of major income.......team player who understands the cap distribution......cliche maybe, but for the love of the game.

As Tolstoy once asked in a famous short story, how much land does one man need? 

Does the ROI on being in the discussion for the GOAT outweigh wage salary? It might be beneficial to him financially to leverage his fame over leveraging his hit against the cap.  

Brady doesn't need the money. He and his wife are worth $540 million combined. He wants to win. Demanding more money from the Patriots doesn't help that objective. And at this point he makes more money from endorsements and his TB12 business than his NFL salary, so getting a bit more from the Pats wouldn't really move the needle much on his total income.

He's rich as is, and is a team player, he's smart to realize that adjusting his contract helps add more weapons/trades/etc.

A better question is why don't Tom and Gisele head an investment group to try to buyout the Krafts and take over the Patriots.

For some of you guys that love the details, can you post the Salary extensions and where each new contract put him among QBs?

Wealth.  One factor is that he has had many more years earning income compared to some guys (see Lev Bell) - he is able to make these decisions from a position of greater security.

-QG

Is there any desire among Patriot Nation for a new owner? I thought Kraft was beloved.
I think there's a faction that buys into fake news and the hyperbole of permanently fractured relationships between the axis powers, but most of us are above that or in denial depending on your frame of reference.

He obviously has more money than he will ever need but from a non-specific Brady standpoint some people are satisfied with 7 figures and some are not. There’s certainly more to it for Bell but at the end of the day - you’re making more than 99% of the population so it’s something more than the exact dollar amount. 

The notoriety of being the highest paid, feeling as though you’re making what you deserve, etc. I feel after 7 figures its all a psychological aspect. 

He loves football and winning. Going anywhere else would be daunting and more work than he needs to succeed. I think he understands it takes more than ONE and he thrives in that environment. No amount of money can touch his apex or nadir...I truly believe he is a man that gets it. He is at peace with himself and what it takes to be the GOAT. He loves competition and what it feels like to reach your goals and he will not stop until he is shown that he can not do it anymore . He knows that when he hangs it up Canton is calling no matter what. So he's basically playing with house money and has no fear of what's to be.  

PS : He seems to be loyal AF.

Is there any desire among Patriot Nation for a new owner? I thought Kraft was beloved.
I don't think anyone has much beef with Kraft, and I was mostly casting shade at all the talk of the supposed feud between Brady and BB and how Brady wanted a divorce from his head coach. One would assume that if Brady bought the team, perhaps he could then opt to replace the coach. Brady knows and has admitted that there is no one better than BB.

My perspective on all of the internal squabbling is that a lot of this was most likely on-going for years with similar issues, but this past year in particular more info got out than normal. Also, so much of sports media is based off of clicks or viewers, so the more the press stirs the pot and fans the fires of a major feud and meltdown, the more eyes they will get to view their material.

He loves football and winning. Going anywhere else would be daunting and more work than he needs to succeed. I think he understands it takes more than ONE and he thrives in that environment. No amount of money can touch his apex or nadir...I truly believe he is a man that gets it. He is at peace with himself and what it takes to be the GOAT. He loves competition and what it feels like to reach your goals and he will not stop until he is shown that he can not do it anymore . He knows that when he hangs it up Canton is calling no matter what. So he's basically playing with house money and has no fear of what's to be. 
There has been talk and reports that the Pats will let Brady play out this year and next and then both sides will discuss if they want to continue their relationship. It is not a guarantee that Brady would come back, as it would depend on his play, his salary demands, who else was waiting in the wings, if they won another SB by then, if Gisele would let him keep playing, if she would allow him to move away, etc. Now that's the media side of things and oozing with speculation. Hard to know what is fact and what is fiction these days.

There has been talk and reports that the Pats will let Brady play out this year and next and then both sides will discuss if they want to continue their relationship. It is not a guarantee that Brady would come back, as it would depend on his play, his salary demands, who else was waiting in the wings, if they won another SB by then, if Gisele would let him keep playing, if she would allow him to move away, etc. Now that's the media side of things and oozing with speculation. Hard to know what is fact and what is fiction these days.
Either way he is loyal and backs it up. That says a lot especially when you are the face of all that is Patriot. It is a rare trait for this business to have.

Either way he is loyal and backs it up. That says a lot especially when you are the face of all that is Patriot. It is a rare trait for this business to have.
I agree that Brady has been a godsend up until now with his monetary demands. But let's see what happens if 1) Brady's play drops off significantly, 2) NE brings in a studly rookie, 3) they ask him to take a pay cut or reup at a deep discount, 4) they ask him to mentor the new guy, 5) they don't promise that he will remain the starter, and/or see Brady gets hurt and the new guy comes in and does well. Any or all of those are on the horizon, and if Brady feels like he can still play for 3 more years (beyond his current deal), if BB is still around, things could get even more frantic between TB, BB, and the Krafts.

I will say that after back to back years going to the SB, BB didn't really do Brady many favors by not bringing back Amendola and trading Cooks. Yeah, I get it that they didn't know Edelman would get suspended, that Mitchell would never get on the field again, and that a cavalcade of receivers wouldn't work out (Britt, Matthews, Decker, etc.). But Bill sure didn't make it easy on Tom. Normally teams try to keep chemistry and continuity by bringing back the same players.

Brady could easily gripe that the money they saved on Cooks could have been used to bring in another top receiving threat (or they could have drafted one), but that didn't happen.We'll have to see how things look with Edelman back and if Gordon pans out. Overall, I agree that the Super Bowl isn't played in September, so let's see how things stack up in crunch time at the end of the season. But Bill has made it tough on Brady in the early going.

Kind of like someone from a regular job that is just a couple of years from retirement not caring about the same things they cared about at the early stages of their career.  Priorities change at different stages of our lives. 

I see what you are saying. What can I say? A lot of ifs there. What if it goes the other way? 

I agree that Brady has been a godsend up until now with his monetary demands. But let's see what happens if 1) Brady's play drops off significantly, 2) NE brings in a studly rookie, 3) they ask him to take a pay cut or reup at a deep discount, 4) they ask him to mentor the new guy, 5) they don't promise that he will remain the starter, and/or see Brady gets hurt and the new guy comes in and does well. Any or all of those are on the horizon, and if Brady feels like he can still play for 3 more years (beyond his current deal), if BB is still around, things could get even more frantic between TB, BB, and the Krafts.

I will say that after back to back years going to the SB, BB didn't really do Brady many favors by not bringing back Amendola and trading Cooks. Yeah, I get it that they didn't know Edelman would get suspended, that Mitchell would never get on the field again, and that a cavalcade of receivers wouldn't work out (Britt, Matthews, Decker, etc.). But Bill sure didn't make it easy on Tom. Normally teams try to keep chemistry and continuity by bringing back the same players.

Brady could easily gripe that the money they saved on Cooks could have been used to bring in another top receiving threat (or they could have drafted one), but that didn't happen.We'll have to see how things look with Edelman back and if Gordon pans out. Overall, I agree that the Super Bowl isn't played in September, so let's see how things stack up in crunch time at the end of the season. But Bill has made it tough on Brady in the early going.

Believe it or not Brady can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Somehow I don't think he cares one way or the other about 2 thru 5 and if he does, he will just walk away without any regrets. 

I see what you are saying. What can I say? A lot of ifs there. What if it goes the other way? 
I hear talk of all this stuff on the radio and tv every day. Some feel the best think for NE was if Brady retired after the comeback against ATL. That way Jimmy G. could have taken over, Brady would have the record for SB's, and there would have been a smooth transition.

Even Brady's father has been quoted as saying things won't end well for his son. We is concerned he will play too long and end up with a really bad injury and will still want to try to keep playing. People can't keep playing forever . . . and at some point NE will need a plan at QB beyond Brady. Just a fact of life.

Believe it or not Brady can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Somehow I don't think he cares one way or the other about 2 thru 5 and if he does, he will just walk away without any regrets. 
I have heard talk from talking heads ranging from Brady was ready to walk away this past off season (even after they moved Jimmy G) to he still plans on playing until he is 45 . . . and all points in between. I was only raising the possibility that Brady could want to play until he is 45 and NE may not really want him back if they feel his play is sub par. Not saying that that will happen, but it is one of the potential outcomes.

why would he hold out?  he didn't force them to offer that contract, right?  he was part and parcel of the decision, right?  as far as I understand, this is a far different situation than most other negotiations.  I'm sure NE does whatever makes him happy.

I hear talk of all this stuff on the radio and tv every day. Some feel the best think for NE was if Brady retired after the comeback against ATL. That way Jimmy G. could have taken over, Brady would have the record for SB's, and there would have been a smooth transition.

Even Brady's father has been quoted as saying things won't end well for his son. We is concerned he will play too long and end up with a really bad injury and will still want to try to keep playing. People can't keep playing forever . . . and at some point NE will need a plan at QB beyond Brady. Just a fact of life.
It is! this is true. Tell Brees that or Rivers or Big Ben that ....We love an ICON but will do almost anything to see a flaw and push them out of a sport we love. We will miss seeing the greatest of all time leave the game. We will wish we could take back all the petty things said and willed on their careers just to see them play as they did. I know I do. I miss Fouts a lot. wish he was back. Shazier is so missed by me ...Muncie. I miss his running over people. Little Train James ...Peyton how I miss hating him ...etc...There time is now gone and so is ours. I wonder now if football is dead. Do we just keep it alive by playing Fake Football? 

How much does this guarantee him going forward though? He has always said he wants to play until he was at least 45. Does taking less now give him a better chance at doing that? I also think the money his wife make factors in and his ego. I think Brady wants to hold all the major records, the longer he plays the better chance he has, I think he wants to be right so bad about being able to play until 45, and I think he loves this game more than most players. Brady is one of the few guys in the league that I think would play this game for free.

Holding out for a bit more money would probably cost him more than that in the long run with his after football business interests and endorsements.

How much does this guarantee him going forward though? He has always said he wants to play until he was at least 45. Does taking less now give him a better chance at doing that? I also think the money his wife make factors in and his ego. I think Brady wants to hold all the major records, the longer he plays the better chance he has, I think he wants to be right so bad about being able to play until 45, and I think he loves this game more than most players. Brady is one of the few guys in the league that I think would play this game for free.
Father time waits for no man.  One day you're spunky and spry and the next you're naked and drooling on yourself. 

Now that I think about it, the Pats haven't made it easy on Brady over the year.

In 2006, they trotted out a receiving corps of 35 year old Troy Brown, Reche Caldwell, and Doug Gabriel (before they really used TEs and receivers).
In 2010, they ditched Randy Moss and replaced him with . . . no one.
In 2013, they let Welker and Lloyd walk, so Brady went to war with Edelman ( a relative nobody), Amendola, Thompkins, and Dobson.
In 2018, Brady said goodbye to Cooks and Amendola, who were replaced with Patterson (and Gordon once the season started).

Seems like an odd way to reward your HOF QB who often left money on the table for the team to have funds available at other positions.

Father time waits for no man.  One day you're spunky and spry and the next you're naked and drooling on yourself. 
This is true, but he wants to defy the odds. If he can play at a top 10ish level qb until he is 45 there is almost no questioning him as the greatest qb of all time when you factor in the rings, the records, where he was drafted.

Second page and no mention of "because he secretly has been gifted a small piece of the team on the DL"?

Now that I think about it, the Pats haven't made it easy on Brady over the year.

In 2006, they trotted out a receiving corps of 35 year old Troy Brown, Reche Caldwell, and Doug Gabriel (before they really used TEs and receivers).
In 2010, they ditched Randy Moss and replaced him with . . . no one.
In 2013, they let Welker and Lloyd walk, so Brady went to war with Edelman ( a relative nobody), Amendola, Thompkins, and Dobson.
In 2018, Brady said goodbye to Cooks and Amendola, who were replaced with Patterson (and Gordon once the season started).

Seems like an odd way to reward your HOF QB who often left money on the table for the team to have funds available at other positions.
I agree with that, but I think he trusts Bellicheck and his offensive coordinators. Look how many times he has changed up his game to fit their system.

While I wouldn't know about Brady's love of Supermodel money, I do believe some men aren't a slave to all that is cash. You make it sound like he is a slave to the $$$ while maybe his drive is loyalty and greatness. 

This is true, but he wants to defy the odds. If he can play at a top 10ish level qb until he is 45 there is almost no questioning him as the greatest qb of all time when you factor in the rings, the records, where he was drafted.
I'm rooting for him.  However, I've seen it hit players like a ton of bricks and sometimes it is sudden.

While I wouldn't know about Brady's love of Supermodel money, I do believe some men aren't a slave to all that is cash. You make it sound like he is a slave to the $$$ while maybe his drive is loyalty and greatness. 
Not what I intended at all. I think the more guaranteed money he has in 2019, 20 and so on the more difficult it is to cut or trade him. Thus he makes it to 45 and hold records and is the unquestioned greatest qb.

I honestly believe if the Pats promised to make him the starter until after the season of age 45 he would play for the league min.

Users who are viewing this thread