What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Climate Change thread: UN Report: we need to take action (4 Viewers)

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-shell-afpm/citing-climate-differences-shell-walks-away-from-u-s-refining-lobby-idUKKCN1RE0VB

LONDON (Reuters) - Royal Dutch Shell Plc on Tuesday became the first major oil and gas company to announce plans to leave a leading U.S. refining lobby due to disagreement on climate policies.

FILE PHOTO: Ben van Beurden, chief executive of Royal Dutch Shell, speaks during a news conference in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, February 15, 2016. REUTERS/Sergio Moraes/File Photo

In its first review of its association with 19 key industry groups, the company said it had found “material misalignment” over climate policy with the American Fuel & Petrochemical Manufacturers (AFPM) and would quit the body in 2020.

The review is part of Shell’s drive to increase transparency and show investors it is in line with the 2015 Paris climate agreement’s goals to limit global warming by reducing carbon emissions to a net zero by the end of the century.

It is also the latest sign of how investor pressure on oil companies, particularly in Europe, is leading to changes in their behavior around climate. Last year, Shell caved in to investor pressure over climate change, setting out plans to introduce industry-leading carbon emissions targets linked to executive pay.

Its chief executive, Ben van Beurden, has since repeatedly urged oil and gas producers to take action over climate and pollution, staking out a more radical position than the heads of other major oil companies.

“AFPM has not stated support for the goal of the Paris Agreement. Shell supports the goal of the Paris Agreement,” the Anglo-Dutch company said in its decision.

“The need for urgent action in response to climate change has become ever more obvious since the signing of the Paris Agreement in 2015. As a result, society’s expectations in this area have changed, and Shell’s views have also evolved,” van Beurden said in the report.

The company has disagreed with AFPM on a number of issues for some time, according to two lobbying sources. Shell said it also disagreed with AFPM’s opposition to a price on carbon and action on low-carbon technologies.

Shell and AFPM have also been at odds in recent months over regulation over the use of renewable fuels. While Shell and other large refiners invested in cleaner fuel technology, AFPM has fought hard against standards requiring refiners to blend or subsidize the blending of biofuels into the gasoline pool - saying it hurts independent refiners.

Shell and rivals Exxon and BP have in recent years also left the American Legislative Exchange Council, a conservative political group, over its stance on climate change.

AFPM Chief Executive Chet Thompson thanked Shell for its “longstanding collaboration.”

“We will also continue working on behalf of the refining and petrochemical industries to advance policies that ensure reliable and affordable access to fuels and petrochemicals, while being responsible stewards of the environment,” Thompson said in a statement.

AFPM counts around 300 U.S. and international members including Exxon Mobil Corp , Chevron Corp , BP Plc and Total SA that operate 110 refineries and 229 petrochemical plants, according to its 2018 annual report.

Shell’s review was welcomed by Adam Matthews, director of ethics and engagement for the Church of England Pensions Board, which invests in Shell and led discussions with the company over its climate policy.

“This is an industry first,” Matthews said.

“With this review Shell have set the benchmark for best practice on corporate climate lobbying not just within oil and gas but across all industries. The challenge now is for others to follow suit.”

Shell also found “some” misalignment with nine other trade associations, including the American Petroleum Institute, the oil and gas industry’s main lobby.

Saudi Aramco gets first credit ratings ahead of bond debut

Shell said that while it had some climate-related differences with API, it welcomed the lobby’s advocacy on a range of state and federal issues such as trade and transport, as well as the API’s efforts to reduce methane emissions.

It will continue to engage with the API and other groups over climate policies and monitor their alignment, Shell said.

Shell last month urged President Donald Trump’s administration to tighten restrictions on emissions of methane, a potent greenhouse gas, instead of weakening them as planned.

Just three weeks after one of the most intense storms on record pounded the Plains and Midwest, another "bomb cyclone" of similar strength is in the forecast. The spring storm seems poised to dump even heavier snow and could be followed by another round of significant river flooding.

For the past few days, various forecast computer models have shown a blizzard of epic proportions for the north-central Plain States and Upper Midwest. Every time a model is updated, the storm depicted seems to get even more intense. At this point, it seems likely that some of the same areas impacted by devastating flooding just weeks ago are about to get slammed by an historic blizzard Wednesday through Friday.

As of Sunday night, the storm system was located in the eastern Pacific Ocean and was moving onshore along the U.S. West Coast.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/blockbuster-blizzard-may-impact-same-areas-hit-by-bomb-cyclone/ar-BBVITL7?li=BBnb7Kz

"The liberals never said us it would affect us!"

But seriously those folks have been pummelled up there. Can't imagine the wear on tear on first responders and public utilities and such. 

Just three weeks after one of the most intense storms on record
I think we have to be careful about labeling every severe weather situation as a result of man made climate change. Even the scientists are cautious about making those sorts of assumptions, and IMO it gives fuel to the skeptics who claim this is all panic mongering. 

timschochet said:
I think we have to be careful about labeling every severe weather situation as a result of man made climate change. Even the scientists are cautious about making those sorts of assumptions, and IMO it gives fuel to the skeptics who claim this is all panic mongering. 
Well there is a metric ####ton of empirical meta level data out there. People gonna have to feel it before its real I guess. 

timschochet said:
I won't say ALL panic mongering, but yeah....It is generally out of control.

It's like we NEVER had a hurricane before..or NEVER had a strong snowstorm.   When California was in a severe drought it was due to climate change..Now that California has essentially been declared drought free---wanna know the cause?  If you guessed climate change you win a prize.

There has to be some reasonableness to this or those on the fence, or those who just don't care that much, aren't gonna buy in.  

killface said:
Lots of people think the earth is flat...so what

If we waited for those people to buy in we still wouldn't have discovered the wheel
And before that, many more KNEW that it was flat....That is, until it was proven to be untrue by science...not manipulated computer models.

Don't watch the videos in the previous post. 
They speak ill of an established religion and just might make you think. 

It's just a lot easier to be told what to believe and nobody wants to find out that they've swallowed a lie.

And before that, many more KNEW that it was flat....That is, until it was proven to be untrue by science...not manipulated computer models.

It's just a lot easier to be told what to believe and nobody wants to find out that they've swallowed a lie.

Not sure if you consider NASA science

There are always people like you, it's alright.  You are not unique. Fighting science with your beliefs

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/energy/article/Cornyn-says-days-of-ignoring-climate-change-are-13848205.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Premium)&utm_source=share-by-email&utm_medium=email

WASHINGTON - Texas Senator John Cornyn said Thursday it was time for the United States to take action on climate change, throwing weight behind a growing body of Republicans calling for legislation to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

"There is a growing consensus the days of ignoring this issue are over," Cornyn, the former Republican majority whip, said in a conference call with reporters. "If we all agree that reducing emissions is important I think we have a better way of approaching that than the Green New Deal."

GREEN SHIFT: Are Republicans wavering on climate change?

The Green New Deal is a proposal from Rep. Alexandria Ocasio Cortez, D-N.Y., to rapidly shift the U.S. economy away from fossil fuels, which now counts more than 100 Democratic co-sponsors in the House and Senate, including presidential candidates Bernie Sanders, Kamala Harris and Elizabeth Warren.

Cornyn is readying to introduce his own legislation on climate change, which he described as "an innovation agenda" to expand federal funding for research into carbon capture technology.

He cited a test project in La Porte named Net Power where engineers have developed a power plant that burns natural gas without releasing any greenhouse gas emissions.

"We can do this without passing new taxes or huge new job killing regulations," he said.

President Donald Trump has been a frequent critic of efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, pulling the United States out of the Paris accord and on the 2016 campaign calling climate change a "a very, very expensive form of tax."

But Cornyn said if Democrats and Republicans could come together on legislation he thought Trump would sign it.

"I'm not sure on his list of priorities where he would put (greenhouse gas emissions)," Cornyn said. "I think he would come along, if Congress was to put a bill on his desk."

Wow. That’s a very big deal. I wonder how other conservatives will respond. 

The problem is that modern day conservatism, particularly the talk show hosts on radio and TV, have made such of industry of denying climate change for decades. It’s long been one of their major themes. 

The problem is that modern day conservatism, particularly the talk show hosts on radio and TV, have made such of industry of denying climate change for decades. It’s long been one of their major themes. 
The people with the money just need a bit more time to shift their investments so they control/profit from renewable energy industry the way they currently do with fossil fuels. Then no one will have a problem with it, and all the conservative talking points will magically change.

you're giving those talk show hosts way too much credit.  they spent years railing on the debt too, but now you don't hear a word about it.  not to mention clips like we saw of Fox railing on Obama and just ignoring worse with Trump.   they just act like it didn't happen and their listeners don't care to bring it up.  so if there's a switch on this issue, they just ignore everything they previously said and it didn't happen.  easy

https://theintercept.com/2019/05/16/coal-industry-climate-change-denial-cloud-peak-energy/

"A MAJOR COAL COMPANY WENT BUST. ITS BANKRUPTCY FILING SHOWS THAT IT WAS FUNDING CLIMATE CHANGE DENIALISM."

The documents in the court docket show that the coal giant gave contributions to leading think tanks that have attacked the link between the burning of fossil fuels and climate change, as well as to several conservative advocacy groups that have attempted to undermine policies intended to shift the economy toward renewable energy.

Climate science is a lot like the Mueller report.

It's available to the public, at least in theory. But very few people are willing to take the time to become familiar with it before developing a strong opinion about it.
The main difference is that the majority of the public are aware of what it’s about, even if they don’t know all the details, and know that something must be done. 

Actually we may be rapidly approaching that same outcome with the Mueller report as well. 

It's available to the public, at least in theory. But very few people are willing to take the time to become familiar with it before developing a strong opinion about it.
Likely more than 448 pages though which would seem a mitigating factor

Actually- is there such a comparable report for the public? Not a bad idea. Accessible, readable, with summaries and definitions?

you guys aren’t even trying on the new alias accounts anymore. lowe, mike, fred, joey, stone, tank....try some creativity

Last edited by a moderator:
you guys aren’t even trying on the new alias accounts anymore. lowe, mike, fred, joey, stone, tank....try some creativity
Ok seriously...whats with the alias infatuation?   Why is it SOOOOO important to call someone an alias? Like is that terrible or something?  Can anyone explain this to me?  Why the obsession?   Guy posts a link to a real thing, about the dates being moved, again, and all you can do is comment that it is an alias?  Does that invalidate it somehow? Was there some sort of meeting?

Ok seriously...whats with the alias infatuation?   Why is it SOOOOO important to call someone an alias? Like is that terrible or something?  Can anyone explain this to me?  Why the obsession?   Guy posts a link to a real thing, about the dates being moved, again, and all you can do is comment that it is an alias?  Does that invalidate it somehow? Was there some sort of meeting?
I’d say the obsession seems to be with multiple posters who have been told over and over by the owners and mods that they aren’t wanted here (by way of actually banning their ids) yet those people keep coming back.  Several of them are over at FFT and talk now and then about how bad this place is...yet they keep coming back.

In the case of Lowe here, you know him better as posty. He has to be on double digits now as far as number of names he has had banned here. 

In addition, most of these aliases aren’t here for any actual discussion.  So pointing them out and exposing them can save people time in even trying to talk to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d say the obsession seems to be with multiple posters who have been told over and over by the owners and mods that they aren’t wanted here (by way of actually banning their ids) yet those people keep coming back.  Several of them are over at FFT and talk now and then about how bad this place is...yet they keep coming back.

In the case of Lowe here, you know him better as posty. He has to be on double digits now as far as number of names he has had banned here. 

In addition, most of these aliases aren’t here for any actual discussion.  So pointing them out and exposing them can save people time in even trying to talk to them.
And sure enough, that account is now gone like the rest.

Why don't you just leave it alone---rather than being obsessed?  The fact that the aliases make you all so queasy makes it more fun to make them I would imagine.

Why don't you just leave it alone---rather than being obsessed?  The fact that the aliases make you all so queasy makes it more fun to make them I would imagine.
No.  I’ll continue to expose trolling aliases if it’s done within the terms of service of this board.

Queasy?  Not at all.  But exposing that so others don’t waste time trying should be done.  I know I appreciate it when others do it.

No.  I’ll continue to expose trolling aliases if it’s done within the terms of service of this board.

Queasy?  Not at all.  But exposing that so others don’t waste time trying should be done.  I know I appreciate it when others do it.
Fair enough.  You answered my question

Yet, you never call out Tanner.   Hypocritical, eh?

You mean you will continue to expose right wing aliases.  

Name one left wing alias you have exposed. One.  

Users who are viewing this thread