What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Climate Change thread: UN Report: we need to take action (5 Viewers)

I read the whole article and didn't see that
"Complicating the issue are the devastating effects of climate change. Monsoon rains have been more erratic and droughts more common, threatening farmer's harvests. This could cripple livelihoods across the predominantly agricultural country, where 80% of water is used to irrigate thirsty crops such as sugar cane and rice."

"Complicating the issue are the devastating effects of climate change. Monsoon rains have been more erratic and droughts more common, threatening farmer's harvests. This could cripple livelihoods across the predominantly agricultural country, where 80% of water is used to irrigate thirsty crops such as sugar cane and rice."
Well sure, it also said they have annual droughts.  

Well sure, it also said they have annual droughts.  
And they’re getting a lot worse. And this one is the worst yet. 

Honestly I simply don’t understand your thinking here. Why are you (and so many other conservatives) so determined to resist what science is telling you about what’s happening to our planet?? I mean forget politics for a moment. Forget which “side” you’re on, and liberalism vs conservatism, and Trump vs the Democrats- forget all of that because none of it means squat compared to this. This is happening before your eyes. It’s here. It’s real. What the #### are we going to do about it? 

I haven’t read the article you guys are discussing, but there’s no doubt among climate scientists that the effects of climate change include the expansion of deserts, more frequent droughts and wild fires in some areas, and threats to food security in some areas due to decreasing crop yields. All of that is well established.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven’t read the article you guys are discussing, but there’s no doubt among climate scientists that the effects of climate change include the expansion of desserts, more frequent droughts and wild fires in some areas, and threats to food security in some areas due to decreasing crop yields. All of that is well established.
It is almost as if we will not regulate ourselves that the planet will do so for us.

I haven’t read the article you guys are discussing, but there’s no doubt among climate scientists that the effects of climate change include the expansion of desserts, more frequent droughts and wild fires in some areas, and threats to food security in some areas due to decreasing crop yields. All of that is well established.
The expansion of desserts could help offset the effects of the decreasing crop yields.  Seems less healthy though. 

Climate change is the new smoking.  There is no actual debate about the science.  The difference is climate change is going to kill more people than smoking has.  

And they’re getting a lot worse. And this one is the worst yet. 

Honestly I simply don’t understand your thinking here. Why are you (and so many other conservatives) so determined to resist what science is telling you about what’s happening to our planet?? I mean forget politics for a moment. Forget which “side” you’re on, and liberalism vs conservatism, and Trump vs the Democrats- forget all of that because none of it means squat compared to this. This is happening before your eyes. It’s here. It’s real. What the #### are we going to do about it? 
I think many, least in my camp..don't dispute climate change, we dispute our involvement in it and the ability for us to change it.

I've said a gajillion times...if all the climate change stuff you guys gobble up is true, then it's too late. Heck many climate change "experts"  say it's too late.  We can change everything we do. Go back to an agriculture based society.  China ain't changing..India ain't changing..Russia ain't changing

Unless we focus NOW on how we adapt, we are just going to watch whatever happens, happen

I think many, least in my camp..don't dispute climate change, we dispute our involvement in it and the ability for us to change it.

I've said a gajillion times...if all the climate change stuff you guys gobble up is true, then it's too late. Heck many climate change "experts"  say it's too late.  We can change everything we do. Go back to an agriculture based society.  China ain't changing..India ain't changing..Russia ain't changing

Unless we focus NOW on how we adapt, we are just going to watch whatever happens, happen
There’s no scientific debate about whether humans are the dominant cause of the observed warming trends. That question has been decisively resolved: we are.

You’re right that it’s too late to completely prevent further warming. Greenhouse gases stay in the atmosphere for a long time and the climate system has a lot of inertia to it, so even if we stop emitting further greenhouse gases right this moment, current trends in climate change will continue over the next few centuries. That seems like a done deal.

That doesn’t mean there is no difference between mitigating those trends by reducing further emissions and amplifying them by increasing further emissions. Over the rest of this century, average global surface temperatures are expected to increase somewhere between 0.5 degrees and 8.6 degrees Fahrenheit, depending in part on how much we can reduce emissions. The difference within that range of outcomes, in terms of the harm that will be done to various ecosystems, is significant.

And China and India will change. If we can develop solar, wind, or nuclear power that is cheaper and cleaner than fossil fuels, China and India will use them.

1. "You're nuts!  The Earth isn't getting warmer.  That's a big hoax!"

2. "Ok, it was getting warmer, but all that warming stopped in 1998!"

3. "Ok, it didn't stop.  2016 was the hottest year on record.  But anything could be causing that, it's probably the sun!"

4. "Ok, it's not the sun, but there's no way it's the crap-ton of carbon dioxide we've pumped into the atmosphere for the last 100 years.  Humans can't change the climate!"

5. "Ok, it's probably the CO2, since the greenhouse effect is well-established science, and the CO2 concentration is the highest it's been in the last million years.  But maybe it will be a good thing?"

6. "Ok it won't be a good thing.  the sea level rise, acidification of the oceans, and disruption to agriculture will be catastrophic.  But there's nothing we can do to stop it, so why bother?"

YOU ARE HERE

7. "Ok, there's plenty we can do to stop it, but it would be too expensive and hurt our economy!!"

8. "Ok, the long term costs of doing nothing will be far worse and the renewable energy market boom will more than outweigh any negative effects......but.....but.......you're nuts!  It's not getting warmer!"

All we need to do is find an energy efficient, or even generating way, to fix atmospheric carbon into a diamond the size of Mount Everest.  If we can turn that trick 10 times over we should be good for another decade or so.

There’s no scientific debate about whether humans are the dominant cause of the observed warming trends. That question has been decisively resolved: we are.

You’re right that it’s too late to completely prevent further warming. Greenhouse gases stay in the atmosphere for a long time and the climate system has a lot of inertia to it, so even if we stop emitting further greenhouse gases right this moment, current trends in climate change will become more pronounced over the next few centuries. That seems like a done deal.

That doesn’t mean there is no difference between mitigating those trends by reducing further emissions and amplifying them by increasing further emissions. Over the rest of this century, average global surface temperatures are expected to increase somewhere between 0.5 degrees and 8.6 degrees Fahrenheit, depending in part on how much we can reduce emissions. The difference within that range of outcomes, in terms of the harm that will be done to various ecosystems, is significant.

And China and India certainly will change. If we can develop solar, wind, or nuclear power that is cheaper and cleaner than fossil fuels, China and India will use them.
I’ve been reading a bit about CDR (Carbon Dioxide Removal) technologies recently, and I came across an interesting blog/article about the current state of these technologies from Columbia University. 

Carbon Dioxide Removal technologies/initiatives  

There were a lot more active programs than I realized, which gave me some hope. Some of the concepts these scientists came up with are incredibly clever. 

You’re right that it’s too late to completely prevent further warming. Greenhouse gases stay in the atmosphere for a long time and the climate system has a lot of inertia to it, so even if we stop emitting further greenhouse gases right this moment, current trends in climate change will continue over the next few centuries. That seems like a done deal.

And China and India will change. If we can develop solar, wind, or nuclear power that is cheaper and cleaner than fossil fuels, China and India will use them.
Nice post.  Probably felt great to post it.  

If it is true climate change has already taken us over the cliff,  then we are wasting time creating methods to reduce or stop it.  There are limited dollars on this planet, limited resources.  Our efforts should be focused on protecting our people from the inevitable.  Let China, India and Russia work on finding these super awesome cleaner and cheaper fuels.  If they are able to develop these methods, then we can use them..if not, then our money and effort was more smartly directed toward adaptation.  

We need to stop wasting time...If I buy in that climate change is real, and that it is human caused, then I am buying in 100% and going with the theory that it is too late to change.

So now what?

"Yeah, I know the house is starting to flood with water. Oh well, it already started, nothing we can do now. We'll just abandon this house and buy another one. No biggie."

Nice post.  Probably felt great to post it.  

If it is true climate change has already taken us over the cliff,  then we are wasting time creating methods to reduce or stop it.  There are limited dollars on this planet, limited resources.  Our efforts should be focused on protecting our people from the inevitable.  Let China, India and Russia work on finding these super awesome cleaner and cheaper fuels.  If they are able to develop these methods, then we can use them..if not, then our money and effort was more smartly directed toward adaptation.  

We need to stop wasting time...If I buy in that climate change is real, and that it is human caused, then I am buying in 100% and going with the theory that it is too late to change.

So now what?
Ignore it and go on with your life I suppose.

If it is true climate change has already taken us over the cliff,  then we are wasting time creating methods to reduce or stop it.
Saving millions of lives is a waste of time?

Are there other more pressing issues than staying alive?

Saving millions of lives is a waste of time?

Are there other more pressing issues than staying alive?
Not for people who expect to be dead long before anything actually happens and don't really care what happens after they are gone.

Mitigation, adaptation, and possible future climate engineering are all on the table. It would be foolish to disregard any of them.

explain this to me

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/19/world/europe/polar-bear-norilsk-russia.html

Most likely driven by hunger, the emaciated polar bear had strayed far from its natural habitat before reaching the Russian city of Norilsk'

The bear would normally be in the Kara Sea area, north of the Siberian coast, some 300 miles from Norilsk. But the ravages of climate change have taken their toll on the animals, which depend on sea ice to survive.

Ok, ya'll agree with that, right ?

You start reading other articles though  .... and they say "Officials in the Russian city of Norilsk warned residents about the bear Tuesday.  They added that it was the first spotted in the area in over 40 years."

So ... 40 years ago there was global arming that caused that bear to go that low? Why not?

Other parts of the articles say poachers very well might have released it .... so global warming had zero impact at all

Right, this is why “People whose properties will be damaged by rising sea levels can just sell their houses and move” is not actually a solution. You can’t sell when there are no buyers.
If the general consensus is we need to find a way where every person on the planet is not affected economically, or other ways, well good luck with that.

Change will happen.  Yeah..Someone may lose their home...Maybe it was insured when it was destroyed by a hurricane.  Maybe something else.   Stop with the "if one person loses, we all lose"  That's baby talk.

It’s not just one person.
I get it.

It just seems...that climate change pundits pick and choose what they want to listen to.  They want to accept climate change and get mad when people say "I don't believe that"  But when someone says that climate change has caused irreversible damage to the planet and that its way past the point of fixing, they throw up their hands and say "I don't believe that"

It's selective acceptance and I still say my opinion has more footing.  Spend energy and resources on adaptation..better buildings, better more efficient methods of farming, etc etc..Let the other guys figure out how to make the cleaner and cheaper energy sources viable.  If they can't figure it out, we are well on our way to being able to adapt to the new reality.  And we can sell that technology to them.  

And prevention will save millions more.

It's almost as if you're bending over backwards to ignore the facts just because you don't want to admit us pesky liberals have been right all along.

Almost.
I think you missed my point.  Yeah, you missed it.   It's almost like you don't really read anything you are just interested in hitting the reply button

I think you missed my point.  Yeah, you missed it.   It's almost like you don't really read anything you are just interested in hitting the reply button
Yeah, I read your point, it just doesn't make any sense. You're all over the place.

And that's because you're desperately trying to avoid the simple fact that we need to get to work on this stuff NOW, because of your political affiliation most likely.

Yeah, I read your point, it just doesn't make any sense. You're all over the place.

And that's because you're desperately trying to avoid the simple fact that we need to get to work on this stuff NOW, because of your political affiliation most likely.
Nope.  Not the point.  

Users who are viewing this thread