What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The migrant caravan (2 Viewers)

Unreal. That data isnt from them. It is from the report from the dept of health and human services. The article in national review mentions none of it. The article mentioned they cherry picked data. That made me look at the data. I now presented you the data and told you it was from the report itself. You can verify here. Even though we both know you won't.

So typical of you guys these days. I am sure the group will be along to high five your use of the talking points though.
The author of the article from the National Review is one of the top people in an organization that is credibly accused of being white supremacists. National Review doesn't have a great history on racial issues either. I clicked on your link and it brought up a  report with the title of "Rejected Report Shows Revenue Brought In by Refugees".  That doesn't support your position at all.

x

Much like the pro lifer that cares more about a child in the womb than they do about them once born, pro caravan advocates  will cease to care  once these people get in. It's all happened before, it will happen again. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Insomniac said:
The author of the article from the National Review is one of the top people in an organization that is credibly accused of being white supremacists. National Review doesn't have a great history on racial issues either. I clicked on your link and it brought up a  report with the title of "Rejected Report Shows Revenue Brought In by Refugees".  That doesn't support your position at all.

x
 In that report you can read on page 23 that the two populations compared were different. One had 81% between the ages of 18-64. The other had 63%.

Hmmmmmmm...... Its almost like that is the exact report I got my data from.

Para I read your post. Maybe refugees do cost us more. I think in the end they represent a net positive, but that’s not the core of my argument. Even if I believed that refugees were a permanent drain our on our resources I would still be in favor of accepting them. 

Even if it drove us into bankruptcy I would still be in favor of accepting them. 

Para I read your post. Maybe refugees do cost us more. I think in the end they represent a net positive, but that’s not the core of my argument. Even if I believed that refugees were a permanent drain our on our resources I would still be in favor of accepting them. 

Even if it drove us into bankruptcy I would still be in favor of accepting them. 
BS. If that’s how you feel Tim give them everything YOU have and leave the rest of us out of it. TYVM. 

timschochet said:
Thanks Da Guru. I am concerned about Skid Row and I try to help when I’m able. I care very much about it. But I don’t think things have to be either-or. I have never accepted the argument “let’s help our own first.” I say let’s help our own, and help others, and help others still. 
No.offense, but you don't have any threads about homeless Americans

Yet you go on about immigration forever 

Leroy Green said:
Much like the pro lifer that cares more about a child in the womb than they do about them once born, pro caravan advocates  will cease to care  once these people get in. It's all happened before, it will happen again. 
:goodposting:

I find it incredibly suspicious that this migrant caravan is mobilizing at the perfect time to be used as a wedge issue for the upcoming midterms.

I know there was one a few months ago as well but I can't recall this ever being a thing before or has it and it hasn't been well in the media?

No.offense, but you don't have any threads about homeless Americans

Yet you go on about immigration forever 
I have. But homelessness is not an issue that conservative politicians rail against. Immigration is. These poor people are being villianized and used as scapegoats, particularly by our President. It’s despicable. 

Leroy Green said:
There’s no evidence of this whatsoever. Most pro- immigrant groups have also fought for ways to integrate them into our society. What you wrote, minus the silly cylon quote, is the opposite of the truth. 

• Smile
Reactions: rct
I find it incredibly suspicious that this migrant caravan is mobilizing at the perfect time to be used as a wedge issue for the upcoming midterms.

I know there was one a few months ago as well but I can't recall this ever being a thing before or has it and it hasn't been well in the media?
It really is suspicious. 

This is why there is such hard opposition on this issue.  I'll take you at your word but there are many who don't feel this way.  I'm personally all for helping with financial aid, doing things where we can.  I realize we disagree whether each person is a net positive or negative economically.  But from an economic view, even if you were proven correct on the next incremental person today being a net positive, there would come an economic break point where the next person would then be a negative.  You just can't take tens of millions of people from around the globe and not break the economic system.  Once that happens, how do you help anyone else?  To me, we are better trying to help our people here at home, invest in foreign countries to try and help where we can.  Then we are able to continue to provide help where needed on an ongoing basis and not put ourselves in financial peril as well.  We can't bring everyone in the globe's standard of living up to ours.  It just isn't possible.  And given that, there will be endless supply of people looking to increase their standard of living wanting to come here.  It's got nothing to do with race, but rather trying to be practical in what we can and can't do within economic reality both here and abroad.

This is why there is such hard opposition on this issue.  I'll take you at your word but there are many who don't feel this way.  I'm personally all for helping with financial aid, doing things where we can.  I realize we disagree whether each person is a net positive or negative economically.  But from an economic view, even if you were proven correct on the next incremental person today being a net positive, there would come an economic break point where the next person would then be a negative.  You just can't take tens of millions of people from around the globe and not break the economic system.  Once that happens, how do you help anyone else?  To me, we are better trying to help our people here at home, invest in foreign countries to try and help where we can.  Then we are able to continue to provide help where needed on an ongoing basis and not put ourselves in financial peril as well.  We can't bring everyone in the globe's standard of living up to ours.  It just isn't possible.  And given that, there will be endless supply of people looking to increase their standard of living wanting to come here.  It's got nothing to do with race, but rather trying to be practical in what we can and can't do within economic reality both here and abroad.
You’re concerned about a problem which has not existed and never existed. There has always been plenty of room here. There’s not close to not being plenty of room, not even a little close. If we ever come close to not having enough room, come talk to me then, but it’s not going to be in our lifetimes or our children’s. And it certainly has nothing whatsoever to do with these current migrants. 

You claim it’s nothing to do with race. Fine I will accept that from you. But per polling it’s not true of a lot of people. It’s certainly not true of our President or of some of his supporters who have posted in this thread. The unreasonable fear of inmigrants from South America is very much connected to White nationalist fears that in a few years they will no longer be the majority. This is a large part of the reason Trump was elected. 

Thank you for being honest. But your last sentence is where people will push back hard.

You’re concerned about a problem which has not existed and never existed. There has always been plenty of room here. There’s not close to not being plenty of room, not even a little close. If we ever come close to not having enough room, come talk to me then, but it’s not going to be in our lifetimes or our children’s. And it certainly has nothing whatsoever to do with these current migrants. 

You claim it’s nothing to do with race. Fine I will accept that from you. But per polling it’s not true of a lot of people. It’s certainly not true of our President or of some of his supporters who have posted in this thread. The unreasonable fear of inmigrants from South America is very much connected to White nationalist fears that in a few years they will no longer be the majority. This is a large part of the reason Trump was elected. 
You're using the term "room", I'm referring to economics.  I disagree with your stance each of the current migrants we are discussing would be a net positive econmically.  What I was pointing out though is that even if we assume your view was correct that they were a net positive, that economically there is a break even point where the next would not be and that the strain on our resources would be a negative.  To say I'm concerned about a problem that doesn't exist is either not understanding what I'm saying or is a complete red herring.  We are running a huge budget deficit every year.  We may disagree on how best to deal with this, but the fact is that we are and we have to do something about it.  So if you accept the premise that at some point the next migrant would be a net negative on our resources, then that is the problem.  We can't just close our eyes and pretend it doesn't exist and that accepting unlimited numbers of migrants would impact that in a negative way.  It has nothing to do with whatever "room" might mean.

When it comes to race, absolutely there are some who feel that way because of racial issues, I agree with you there.  But IMO you are projecting that view of a limited group of people onto everyone who might oppose a near open borders type stance.  That's why you get some pretty harsh blow back.  

It's been going on for years, but the gang violence has increased significantly recently so there are more refugees now.    The organizations that provide assistance and organize these caravans are based on donations, so whenever they have enough money to provide food and security for a caravan, they organize one.   

Thank you for being honest. But your last sentence is where people will push back hard.
Of course they will. But my last sentence was theoretical. It doesn’t exist, never has. I wrote it so that my position is clear, but people are pretending like bankruptcy is a real threat. It’s not. 

You're using the term "room", I'm referring to economics.  I disagree with your stance each of the current migrants we are discussing would be a net positive econmically.  What I was pointing out though is that even if we assume your view was correct that they were a net positive, that economically there is a break even point where the next would not be and that the strain on our resources would be a negative.  To say I'm concerned about a problem that doesn't exist is either not understanding what I'm saying or is a complete red herring.  We are running a huge budget deficit every year.  We may disagree on how best to deal with this, but the fact is that we are and we have to do something about it.  So if you accept the premise that at some point the next migrant would be a net negative on our resources, then that is the problem.  We can't just close our eyes and pretend it doesn't exist and that accepting unlimited numbers of migrants would impact that in a negative way.  It has nothing to do with whatever "room" might mean.

When it comes to race, absolutely there are some who feel that way because of racial issues, I agree with you there.  But IMO you are projecting that view of a limited group of people onto everyone who might oppose a near open borders type stance.  That's why you get some pretty harsh blow back.  
I appreciate your response. We simply disagree. 

As for the harsh blow back, I don’t mind. I’ve written some pretty harsh stuff myself on this issue. The fact that I believe what I write is true doesn’t take away from how harsh it is, so I expect to receive it in kind from some of those who disagree with me. Comes with the territory. 

Let me be quite clear: I do NOT regard most of the people who disagree with me on this issue as racist or bigoted, particularly those posting here. But you need to recognize that you have racists and bigots on your side. They are your allies on this issue. That includes our President. You are coddling him, and them. 

Let me be quite clear: I do NOT regard most of the people who disagree with me on this issue as racist or bigoted, particularly those posting here. But you need to recognize that you have racists and bigots on your side. They are your allies on this issue. That includes our President. You are coddling him, and them. 

This is where I think you're wrong. Having a position of rationally and civilly controlling immigration does not equal coddling racists. 

This is where I think you're wrong. Having a position of rationally and civilly controlling immigration does not equal coddling racists. 
I don’t think we’re discussing the same thing. I’m talking about turning back these destitute migrants currently seeking asylum. That’s very different from “rationally and civilly controlling immigration.” A wall on our southern border is also not a rational or civil response to this issue. 

I appreciate your response. We simply disagree. 

As for the harsh blow back, I don’t mind. I’ve written some pretty harsh stuff myself on this issue. The fact that I believe what I write is true doesn’t take away from how harsh it is, so I expect to receive it in kind from some of those who disagree with me. Comes with the territory. 

All good, and I feel passionately about it as well so I'm fine with discussing and disagreeing. 

But on the last paragraph, why do you feel people who differ with your view are coddling racists?  That would be akin to me coming out and accusing you or anyone on the left here of supporting violence from people like Antifa.  Their views probably align at least as much if not more with yours than some of the racist groups would with mine.  I don't think of most people on the left here as coddling these thugs and hope that I'm correct in that assumption.  I don't take it personally, but I hope we can agree, to accuse a person or side of an argument as coddling racists is pretty inflammatory when their basis for belief has nothing to do with race.

All good, and I feel passionately about it as well so I'm fine with discussing and disagreeing. 

But on the last paragraph, why do you feel people who differ with your view are coddling racists?  That would be akin to me coming out and accusing you or anyone on the left here of supporting violence from people like Antifa.  Their views probably align at least as much if not more with yours than some of the racist groups would with mine.  I don't think of most people on the left here as coddling these thugs and hope that I'm correct in that assumption.  I don't take it personally, but I hope we can agree, to accuse a person or side of an argument as coddling racists is pretty inflammatory when their basis for belief has nothing to do with race.
It is inflammatory. It’s not something that I enjoy writing. It is not meant as a personal attack. 

Nonetheless, it’s what I believe. 

I don’t think we’re discussing the same thing. I’m talking about turning back these destitute migrants currently seeking asylum. That’s very different from “rationally and civilly controlling immigration.” A wall on our southern border is also not a rational or civil response to this issue. 
We're talking about exactly the same thing. You can have absolutely have a civil and rational position of "I'm sorry but we are unable to allow you to enter the country". I personally think we should be much more open to refugees. But I hate seeing statements like yours that completely unfairly accuse people of coddling racists. It's hurtful to the conversation in my opinion.

We're talking about exactly the same thing. You can have absolutely have a civil and rational position of "I'm sorry but we are unable to allow you to enter the country". I personally think we should be much more open to refugees. But I hate seeing statements like yours that completely unfairly accuse people of coddling racists. It's hurtful to the conversation in my opinion.
I know you do. Honestly I don’t like it as well. 

I disagree with you about stating it because I think it’s important to state it. I believe that by not stating it, we’re covering up what is IMO an essential truth about this subject matter. 

That being said, it doesn’t need to be overstated, repeated again and again. I made my point, and I very much appreciate you giving me the opportunity to do so here. I won’t touch on it again, and if somebody wants to challenge me on it, I will, respectfully, decline to respond. It’s done. 

If these 4k refugees cross the boarder are we going to disperse them across the United States? If we do nothing to assist, then they are probably all going to congregate in an area close to where they crossed. Will they be able to find housing, jobs, schools with that type of influx in a community?  Larger city probably, smaller towns no. 

Moses led a migrant caravan once. 

That he did. 
My sarcastic response to this would be to ask for a link.

Honest response is, how is this different from the multitude of posters requiring proof? The Old Testament was not a documentation of historical events. Some see it as a documentation of stories passed down through generations. As someone that was raised Catholic, I don't fault someone for their beliefs. But, it's just that, a belief that bears no substantial facts. 

This.  I want these people helped but there is no way that you can accept them by moving here in masses.  It will just be repeated with bigger numbers.

Now I can't believe their destination is the US.  We should just give them free passage to Canada.  That is the most humane thing IMO.

And as we all know a complete border wall of 3k miles is not possible.  It took 15 years to get the 9/11 memorial and we wanted that.  

When you refuse to denounce the racism and xenophobia on your team except as a reluctant recital of prepared remarks you are coddling them. When you call immigrants rapists and murderers you are coddling the racists. When you actively stoke fear of invasion at the southern border you are coddling them. Trump knows he has ghe racists and bigots on his side and absolutely refuses to denounce their behavior except when he's forced to. I usually agree with your posts, but this one completely ignores what's actually happening.

I think it would be reasonable to have a 2 year path/process to be a US legal citizen.  The reason we don't are mostly political ie, then they get to vote.  

Having said that we can't allow masses of people just storming in.  

I don't have a good answer what to do.

BTW, my wife told me Soros was paying them to do this.  FML.

If you think independent.  This only helps Republicans.

BTW, my wife told me Soros was paying them to do this.  
I often make jokes about the use of George Soros, but it’s actually very frightening. That so many people seem to think there is a Jewish mastermind plotting to help bring about a secret agenda...it’s classic anti-semitism. Soros takes the role the Rothschilds used to have. 

I often make jokes about the use of George Soros, but it’s actually very frightening. That so many people seem to think there is a Jewish mastermind plotting to help bring about a secret agenda...it’s classic anti-semitism. Soros takes the role the Rothschilds used to have. 
I hate to break this to you - but I would guess most people do not associate Soros with some Jewish movement.  Liberal movement, yes.  Jewish takeover, no.

I hate to break this to you - but I would guess most people do not associate Soros with some Jewish movement.  Liberal movement, yes.  Jewish takeover, no.
Yeah I would agree with this overall...

If these 4k refugees cross the boarder are we going to disperse them across the United States? If we do nothing to assist, then they are probably all going to congregate in an area close to where they crossed. Will they be able to find housing, jobs, schools with that type of influx in a community?  Larger city probably, smaller towns no. 
Aren’t there something like 500k “illegal” immigrants a year?  4K is a drop in the bucket.

Users who are viewing this thread