What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Electricians - Dryer Hookup Help Needed (1 Viewer)

joker

Footballguy
We just moved into a new house that has a gas dryer, and the almost-new dryer we already had is an electric one, so we gave the electric one to my oldest daughter. However, when she tried to hook it up at her house the outlet wasn't the same one as at our old house.  Here's a pic of her house's dryer connection:

Old Connection

And a pic of the new dryer connection:

New Connection

Does she just need an adapter for the new plug so it fits into the old connector, or does she need to get an electrician out to redo the outlet at her house? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I learned a bunch about 30/50A outlet types when getting an EVSE installed at my house.  

Your old is a "10-50R". Your new is a "14-30R"

you should be fine getting this, but I'd consult someone smarter than me before making any decisions that could burn your #### to the ground.

thanks - I found both the adapter cord and the replacement cord and will try one or the other out tonight.

I learned a bunch about 30/50A outlet types when getting an EVSE installed at my house.  

Your old is a "10-50R". Your new is a "14-30R"

you should be fine getting this, but I'd consult someone smarter than me before making any decisions that could burn your #### to the ground.
For your sake, please DON'T put an adapter on.  Very sloppy to do so and can create issues.

Fix one side or the other.  Replace the cord from the dryer to match, or change the receptacle to match the dryer.  Both are inexpensive and easy DIY stuff (if the latter obviously turn fuse off and verify it is off with a noncontact voltage checker)

If you change the dryer outlet (not the chord,) please be sure the power is off. Get a flashlight and turn off the main breaker if you’re not 100% positive it’s off. 

I have a non-contact voltage tester already, so I'm good there. I'd prefer to change the dryer outlet and not the cord, but is that as easy as changing the cord (which looks like a no-brainer, 5-10 minute job)?

Great, thanks. I figured it should be that easy, but always get nervous around higher voltage stuff - hence my post here. Thanks to all who took the time to reply. 

flashlight is not how you confirm, it's one of these

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Klein-Tools-NCVT-2-Dual-Range-Non-Contact-Voltage-Tester/19515294

Anyone that is doing electric work without one of these does not know what they are doing
Huh? I said he should get a flashlight (so he can see in the dark) and then turn off the main breaker if he was thinking of replacing the dryer outlet. 

I’m with you 100% that if he isn’t comfortable then he shouldnt even do it. 

Just reminder on the steps. 

Isolate feed at the breaker

check there there is no voltage on the dryer box / line. Then check there is voltage on a known live line. Then recheck there is no voltage on dryer line. 

After that you just take wires off, replace receptacle and put wires back. 

Huh? I said he should get a flashlight (so he can see in the dark) and then turn off the main breaker if he was thinking of replacing the dryer outlet. 

I’m with you 100% that if he isn’t comfortable then he should embrace even do it. 
You don’t double check the right breaker is off with a flashlight. That is what I am saying. You are relying on the labels on the breaker box, which is not foolproof. You double check with a tester such as the one I linked. 

You don’t double check the right breaker is off with a flashlight. That is what I am saying. You are relying on the labels on the breaker box, which is not foolproof. You double check with a tester such as the one I linked. 
I’m not relying on anything. The main breaker will be off and the entire house will be w/o power so there won’t be any concern of electricity. 

He isn’t a skilled electrician and with all the power off he won’t have to worry about any of your steps.

I don’t want to argue. You have this covered. 👍🏼

I’m not relying on anything. The main breaker will be off and the entire house will be w/o power so there won’t be any concern of electricity. 

He isn’t a skilled electrician and with all the power off he won’t have to worry about any of your steps.

I don’t want to argue. You have this covered. 👍🏼
So main breaker off he can do all his electrical work with a headlamp? 

Not trying to give you a hard time but there are much better ways. I would only shut the main breaker off if I truly had no clue which individual breaker it was. Since it is a double breaker should be very obvious 

So main breaker off he can do all his electrical work with a headlamp? 

Not trying to give you a hard time but there are much better ways. I would only shut the main breaker off if I truly had no clue which individual breaker it was. Since it is a double breaker should be very obvious 
Complete agree and have from the very start. 

It’s not ideal or what I would do but if joker isn’t comfortable or sure the correct breaker is off it’s a safe option. 

This is child’s play to you and I but joker might not be comfortable. 

:shrug:

Learned this the hard way like 20+ years ago.

I was trying to install a dimmer switch.  I had my kid switch off breakers until I saw something that was plugged into the outlet directly below the switch go off.

Yeah...switch and outlet were not on the same breaker.

Voltage testers are like $20 at Home Depot.  

Users who are viewing this thread